Xbox One Wants You To Input One

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Xbox One Wants You To Input One

The Xbox One's new slogan gets an E3 banner reveal.

We've got a short while to go before Microsoft gives its E3 presentation - hopefully ending the speculative round of crash-and-burn that followed its last reveal - but before you go gently into that good Expo, here's a tidbit. Microsoft's slogan for its new console has had a great big banner reveal at E3. Think you'll be able to Input One?

Microsoft's all in one console has had a rough ride of late, what with concerns over DRM, used games, that always-on Kinect, and so forth. Recently Microsoft announced it was cancelling its post-presentation E3 question-and-answer, allegedly because of schedule conflicts. Or possibly the execs who would have been in on that Q&A had some Ones to Input, who knows.

More from the world of Xbone later on, when the E3 presentation kicks off.

Source: NeoGAF

For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.

Hey Microsoft! I got one you can input right here!

UnnDunn:
Microsoft is trying to suggest that you'll want to put Xbox One on "Input 1", i.e. the Xbox One will become the most important device you connect to your TV.

Alternatively, that the Xbox One is a cable box.

Seriously though, I reckon they'll shut down the session as soon as the chants start up, and everyone asks exactly the same question, which they refuse to answer.

"Hmmm, 'all for one' makes too much sense, we need to make our slogan 20% stupider. I know, lets add 'input one' at the end, that makes no sense what so ever."

UnnDunn:
For those who don't get it, traditionally, "Input 1" on your TV has been reserved for a cable box, with "Input 2" going to a DVD player and "Input 3" going to a games console. It's a metaphor for the relative importance of each device--cable box is most important, followed by DVD player, followed by games console.

Really?

Most TV's I work with have the inputs listed as:

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC

edit
I just realised that I deal with modern Sony TV's so your theory could work, but the Xbone doesn't have SD capability so it wouldn't be first on a traditional TV anyway.

Ed130:

UnnDunn:

Really?

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC

Like I said, it's a metaphor. Back in the day, inputs were typically labeled "AV1", "AV2", "AV3", etc. Today's TVs have more processing power, so they can be more descriptive with their input labels.

UnnDunn:

Yeah, that's an issue; if your snappy catchline needs to be explained to your target audience, then it's failed as a catchline.

As it stands, that tagline is pretty clunky and worthy of much eye-rolling... I guess in that regard it suits the Xbone pretty well. It might as well read "Xbox One: Argh, we don't know what we're doing."

I can't help but feel Microsoft's PR team are kicking themselves that Sony staked their claim on the "It only does everything" slogan.

UnnDunn:

Thank you for explaining that. I wonder if this is an indication of how clear the information they're going to offer at E3 will be.

I got rid of cable years ago in favor of cheaper, less controlling alternatives, so at least the comparison seems appropriate.

It that how many people's input they listened to when they made this slow moving train wreck. Ugh and then there's all obvious tech related sex puns. Do these people think. I get what they're trying to say but it's such a cheesy stretched pun they should have been able to come up with something better.

UnnDunn:

Ed130:

UnnDunn:

Really?

TV (internal tuner)
SD ports
HD Ports
HDMI inputs
PC

Like I said, it's a metaphor. Back in the day, inputs were typically labeled "AV1", "AV2", "AV3", etc.

Rather poor metaphor considering that the Xbone wouldn't work with 'old fashioned' SDTV's.

I don't blame them for cancelling the Q+A. I can imagine it would have been quite a bloodbath, I'd have been willing to pay just to watch it.

not only can they not make a consumer friendly console they cant even make a consumer friendly sign

Kmadden2004:

Yeah, that's an issue; if your snappy catchline needs to be explained to your target audience, then it's failed as a catchline.

As it stands, that tagline is pretty clunky and worthy of much eye-rolling... I guess in that regard it suits the Xbone pretty well. It might as well read "Xbox One: Argh, we don't know what we're doing."

I can't help but feel Microsoft's PR team are kicking themselves that Sony staked their claim on the "It only does everything" slogan.

Remember, these banners were supposed to be revealed after the big keynote address today. I expect Microsoft will use the keynote to provide the context that will make sense of these slogans.

That's a really stupid slogan, how about "Don't buy one" or "Get Xboned". I wonder what is Sony's slogan for the PS4. Maybe something along the lines of "It only does everything the Xbox One doesn't".

Really? I thought their new moto was "Anti-consumer, pro-industry"? Coz it's our bastard fault so many developers and publisher don't get more money.

Maerx:
That's a really stupid slogan, how about "Don't buy one" or "Get Xboned". I wonder what is Sony's slogan for the PS4. Maybe something along the lines of "It only does everything the Xbox One doesn't".

"We're not Microsoft"? Just a thought.

It's funny because it doesn't even work on scart inputs.
Did they design every aspect of it to be a giant contradiction or something?

Innnpuuut, need more inpuuut! Why does everything these days seem to remind me of Short Circuit? No... No Disassemble games industry!

What is it with Microsoft and inviting the dick jokes? First we get the Xbone and now their tag line is 'input one'. It's like they want us to mock them

UnnDunn:

You lie, clearly they want people to bend over so they can input one whenever they feel like it.

Input 1 is a scart socket anyway (AV1), the first port this thing could use on my (new in January this year) TV is HDMI-1, which isn't listed as 'input' at all, it's listed as HDMI, it's right before MDP on the menu. Microsoft are so out of touch they don't even know what their own product's connection standards are, yet they're trying to use it as a marketing slogan?!

I can't wait for the poor Microsoft representative having to stand there and awkwardly explain this slogan at a press conference, assuming Xbox division ever holds a press conference ever again.

This just gets better and better.

"Xbox One, even our slogans are Xboned"

UnnDunn:

How does it feel being the most quoted person in this article? Yeah, thanks for explaining this, I honestly didn't understand it at all. I'm not sure if that's a stupid or a smart slogan since it did stick just because it confused me and that's half the battle wont right there. I'm actually leaning towards thinking it's quite smart though...

Input one? Really? After your console got nicknamed the Xbone? Was this slogan chosen by the same guy who came up with the idea to call a Nintendo console "Wii"? Is there some twisted person with a fetish for dick jokes who managed to position himself as a marketing/brand "expert" for a number of major companies in this industry?

If so, hats off to him.

Microsoft is going to input one xbone to you, good people...

Quellist:
I don't blame them for cancelling the Q+A. I can imagine it would have been quite a bloodbath, I'd have been willing to pay just to watch it.

Same here. Just another in a long line of indications that MS is focusing entirely on the publishers, consumers be damned.

Sony should capitalize. Start up a "publishers first" meme for Xbone.

I wouldn't input one with someone else's HDMI cable.

But still, waiting with baited breath for their presentation.

Even considering paying $2.50 for a pack of microwave popcorn from the vendo in the break room. :D

UnnDunn:

Thanks for the explanation. Seriously I I didn't get the reference at all. My first thought was something along the lines of "Do they want me to shit on their console now?" and I was seriously laughing my ass off.

Marketing definitely failed on this one......AGAIN xD

WTH has happened to MS marketing? Are they trying to kill their products? They'd be better off with focus groups of 15 year old boys. If you hear snickering don't use it!

Yeah... about that... Input 1 on all our TVs is the sound system everything else is routed through...

UnnDunn:

Microsoft have been trying to tell me what to do a lot lately, it's not endearing me to them.

Maybe they want us to make sexual jokes about the Xbone. Maybe they realize that's the only way the Xbone is ever going to make anyone happy.

As for me, I don't think I can input one into the new Xbox. They use hard disk drives, but all I'm getting is a floppy.

UnnDunn:

Just echoing the thanks for the explanation.

It's going to take some pretty outstanding game reveals before I'm ready to 'Input one' into my life, which seems to be somewhere near the bottom of Microsoft's priorities thus far in promoting the new 'console'...

There's already some good reinterpretations floating around:

Yes, lets reference a style of input labelling that stuck with SDTVs, and use it for a console that will only work on an HDTV.

Well done Microsoft.

So they really aren't trying to sell this thing are they. Or did they hand over the reins of the marketing campaign to a bowl of mixed nuts?

All in one. Fucks given: (n)one.
All in one. Total sales one.
All in one. Input one. Nottingham Forest two.

Dexter111:

I lack the Photoshop skill to do it, but personally. I'd edit it to "All in one. Oh crap, I only got a pair of ones." Keeping in with that poker metaphor Yhatzee was talking about.

OT: Oh god... I'm not sure who I hate more, the egotisitcal morons who came up with this slogan, or all the people that are just gonna be going DIK JOK LOLZ.

"Input 1" on my TV is not an HDMI connection. Sorry, Microsoft.

Also, the same is true for "Input 1" on my HTS.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here