PS4 Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

PS4 Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Similar to how Xbox Live Gold currently works, users will require a PlayStation Plus subscription (around $5 a month) to play PS4 games online.

Nestled among all the kicking-ass and taking-names of Sony's E3 press conference was a tiny little of bad news that was shown and brushed aside so quickly, you would be forgiven for missing it entirely. It appears that Sony will be following competitor Microsoft and forcing a PlayStation Plus subscription on gamers who want to play PS4 games online. PlayStation Plus currently costs around $5 a month, which is roughly the same as an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The little nugget of disappointment was literally buried in the fine-print of the hilarious used game instructional video. If you squint at 0:12 in, you'll see the following statement:

"The forgoing instructional video applies only to disc-based games. PS4 Multiplayer online access requires PSN account and PS plus subscription"

It's worth noting that you will not require PlayStation Plus to watch Netflix, and it will continue to offer the current PlayStation Plus benefits such as free games. If you're already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, your membership will carry over from the PS3 and PSVita to the PS4.

It is a little harsh to be calling this "bad news", considering that Sony's main rival Microsoft has been doing this for years, but it is the one little scratch that tarnishes Sony's otherwise flawless press conference. Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3.

Thanks Reddit!

That sucks :/ You'd have thought Sony would have left it as free as it would have been another selling point over Microsoft.

At least they're not gating services that I already fucking paid for behind it.

Hazy992:
That sucks :/ You'd have thought Sony would have left it as free as it would have been another selling point over Microsoft.

The thing is, though, that even though they're taking that step to do that, you still get all of the freebies and discounts that came along with it on the PS3. If anything, they one-upped Microsoft again on that front. The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Not to mention that:

It's worth noting that you will not require PlayStation Plus to watch Netflix, and it will continue to offer the current PlayStation Plus benefits such as free games. If you're already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, your membership will carry over from the PS3 and PSVita to the PS4.

Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3.

And you know something else? I'd rather throw money at this practice rather than what MS offers. Sony just gained this consumer's attention and money, should the good news continue.

Honestly, I'm not that bothered by this news. I mean yea it sucks what was once free we now have to pay for. But I've already been subscribed to MMOs in the past at 15 bucks a month. 5 a month is like what? One less lunch you can order out at a McDonald's or something? The rest of the services are still there as far as I can tell. The ability to buy DLC, play movies and so on.

The 5 bucks a month will hopefully go towards making sure Sony's servers run smoothly and efficiently. Not to mention it does give discounts and occasional free swag. You needed to pay Microsoft just to be able to access the online store. Sure they might be doing some promotions now, but only to make it as tempting as being a Plus member, but I still think you get a better deal this way.

And if you don't like to play online games, and never plan to. It's no skin off your nose. You still have access to the basic utilities.

All things considered, if this is the worst thing that has come out in regards to Sony and the PS4, they got off fairly easy compared to Microsoft.

It's a much better deal than Xbox live that's for sure.

Unfortunately, I chose my one console this generation to be the PS3 because it didn't require payments for me to use my own internet connection.

Guess I'll just go all PC, unless the WiiU amazes me with some games.

While it is still better than the XBone, it's a bad idea. Free online play would be the final nail in MS's coffin for a lot of people. One of the reasons I got sick of the Xbox 360 was having to pay for Live (all the while being flooded with advertisements).

Although the monthly free games is still an excellent bonus.

Oh well. Was hoping they avoided that, but apparently they didn't. Well, you know what the say: can't let the perfect stop the good. And Sony is doing a hell of a lot of good, in spite of this. :P

If it functions like PS+ currently works, then users should get a load of free games to play every month.

So it's already better than XBL, which gives you the bare minimum, and still fucks you in the face with advertising.

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Hazy992:

The thing is, though, that even though they're taking that step to do that, you still get all of the freebies and discounts that came along with it on the PS3. If anything, they one-upped Microsoft again on that front. The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Not to mention that:

Also, the benefits of PlayStation Plus are nothing to scoff at. Sony isn't offering the bottom of the bargain bin for its free game catalog, but new releases and best sellers like XCOM and Uncharted 3.

And you know something else? I'd rather throw money at this practice rather than what MS offers. Sony just gained this consumer's attention and money, should the good news continue.

Yeah it seems like they've basically outdone MS again anyway, and I already have PS+ because it nets so much content at what amounts to a vastly reduced price anyway (I am aware that the freebies go if you unsub, but I have no plans to unsub).

Seems fair I guess, provided they dont start charging for crap like netflix andyoutube. Or flooding the OS with friggin ads.

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Hazy992:

That's true but I'd still rather that be an option. The base online mutliplayer should still be free.

Hazy992:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Hazy992:

That's true but I'd still rather that be an option. The base online mutliplayer should still be free.

A fair point, and one I can't really argue against. However, all things considered, I say, though that is somewhat of a downgrade, it's still not much of a blemish against Sony and the PS4. Especially when compared to their competitors.

Well can't have it all I guess.
I did not subscribe to XBL and it will be hard to sell PSN+ to me.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Well MS did add free games to the XBL Gold subscription. As I understand the MS conference you will get two selected free games per month when you subscribed to XBL Gold.
So they did that already.

Hrmm...5 bucks a month isn't horrible. And getting free games each month is nice. Still grates a little having to play multiplayer though.

Eh, I guess I primarily play single player games, anyway, so I probably can live without. If there's something that has multiplayer that I have to have, odds are it'll have a PC release I can get, anyway.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for multiplayer, but I guess getting free games sweetens the deal, which is a lot better than what MS is offering (plus it's apparently cheaper). Get more for less? Why not.

Hmm. That's probably their way of making paying for multiplayer seem more appealing when it really shouldn't be, since I imagine that if they separated paying for 'free' games (it makes sense in my head, shut up) and paying for multiplayer, this would have been taken a lot worse.

Oh well. At least for Sony, this is 'just' a disadvantage and something to be taken into consideration when buying a PS4, rather than yet another nail in the coffin a la FREAKING EVERYTHING about the Xbone.

PS+ is a good deal for those that subscribe, I just wish they weren't forcing people to subscribe to it. But, considering all the other things their doing right, and how the service is pretty freaking good itself, I'd put this as a minor black mark against them.

Ah well. You win some you lose some I guess. At least you'll still get all the discounts and stuff. I think it's really quite telling that we can look at everything Sony's doing in an overwhelmingly positive light as we seem to be doing. What does that say about how everything else is looking?

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Hazy992:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

A fair point, and one I can't really argue against. However, all things considered, I say, though that is somewhat of a downgrade, it's still not much of a blemish against Sony and the PS4. Especially when compared to their competitors.

Oh absolutely, it's still a damn site better value than Xbox Live. PS Plus doesn't gate third party services I've already paid for behind another paywall. That alone is a step up.

True that they're linking PSN+ to the multi-player functions. So PSN+ is going to function similar to XBL. Differences being; free games, beta access, free themes, and game discounts. Since I've already been enjoying Plus I really don't see a problem. Hardly a deal breaker and won't dissuade me from singing praise of the new system. They're not blocking online connectivity, just the multiplayer game aspect. Single player (which I do more often) is safe and sound.

Ishigami:

CrazyCapnMorgan:
The only thing that MS can do on that front is match Sony's deal; which, given current circumstances, is highly unlikely due to the amount of anti-consumerism attitude they've taken with the XBone.

Well MS did add free games to the XBL Gold subscription. As I understand the MS conference you will get two selected free games per month when you subscribed to XBL Gold.
So they did that already.

See my bolded part? With PS+, I can select whatever I want from Sony's free catalog (hint: more than two) and download them. I'm not restricted in that regard. So, even in attempting to mimic Sony's PS services, they can't get that correct.

So far, Microsoft's lost and lost hard.

Eh, it's annoying but understandable.
Everything else they've done so far has been perfect so excusing something as understandable as this is nothing.

The way I see it... this is MORE than forgivable in exchange for the fact that the CONSOLE costs 100 bucks less than the competitor. I barely play multiplayer games anyway... but if I do... I'll be a helluva lot happier to shovel out the money on a PS4 than I would be to hand it over to Microsoft and their 'Fuck the customer' mentality.

Which is a shame, really. I love my Xbox 360 dearly. I was really, really hoping Microsoft hadn't gone completely fucking mental with their next-gen system.

I won't be giving them my money this go-round.

I expected this. $5 a month isn't really a lot for what they're offering.

It's a credit to how much Sony won this E3 that it doesn't really bother me. Yeah, sure, it should be free in the best of worlds, but if this is the area where they compromise I'm fine with it. Even with this, Sony beat MS on every single point. The only argument for a Xbone now would be if you REALLY want those exclusives, but for me, Sony won that battle too. I'll give you this one Sony.

Well... that's me sold... After having a PS1 and 2, and then switching to an XBox 360... I will be returning to the realms of Sony with the PS4! And depending on availiability of PS3 exclusives on PSN compatible with PS4, I may even pick up a cheap PS3 too with the money I saved NOT getting an XBone!

CrazyCapnMorgan:
See my bolded part? With PS+, I can select whatever I want from Sony's free catalog (hint: more than two) and download them. I'm not restricted in that regard. So, even in attempting to mimic Sony's PS services, they can't get that correct

From where I sit it looks exactly the same.
MS will add two games to their selection every month.
I was just expressing that you can't choose which games will be added to the selection, just like with PSN+.
Maybe MS offer is different but afaik they haven't said anything about it so I guess the will copy PSN+.

Not too pleased about this. I don't game online often enough to warrant payment but I do it often enough that I'd be slightly annoyed at not being able to.
I was even thinking of trying my luck by getting into multiplayer more.
:/
I don't like this very much and I think it'd be better if it was free again but everything else about the system is really damn good (I even like the design) and since this isn't mandatory for anything else then I'll deal. Won't be a big problem for me. Might even cave one day and subscribe.
Maybe.

Ishigami:

CrazyCapnMorgan:
See my bolded part? With PS+, I can select whatever I want from Sony's free catalog (hint: more than two) and download them. I'm not restricted in that regard. So, even in attempting to mimic Sony's PS services, they can't get that correct

From where I sit it looks exactly the same.
MS will add two games to their selection every month.
I was just expressing that you can't choose which games will be added to the selection, just like with PSN+.
Maybe MS offer is different but afaik they haven't said anything about it so I guess the will copy PSN+.

Ah, my apologies then. I believe I read your post incorrectly. Might be time for me to hit the hay (I work third shift and normally I'd get home about now, but I got done early) or attempt a Microsoft and smash my face repeatedly with a frying pan and re-read everything.

I never wanted Plus before, and I still don't. Free games aren't free as long as they go away the moment you quit paying.

I'm not against the idea of $5 a month for all that stuff, but I won't be subscribing. I don't really have a use for online play, but at that price I definitely don't need it.

Which means that they have lost my interest in Elder Scrolls Online and Destiny. I simply do not pay for my games more than once, and leave it up to the makers to decide when and if they ever feel like adding content.

I don't subscribe to maybes. You make an expansion, it looks good, I buy it. Sale made.

You put out something that may or may not be a work in progress, and demand a sub fee every month just to play it whether you update it or not?

No ty.

Hopefully I won't need a Plus subscription just to use the PSN store. It would be silly to make someone pay you for the chance to buy your stuff.

It is bad news cause it does change the status quo and the often inane thought to actually have to pay to play online. Now don't get me wrong I understand the money has to come from somewhere to pay for the server space but that is a symptom of the bigger issue which is developers constantly making their games include some sort of multiplayer component which is getting to be a VERY saturated market.

I find it getting to the point where developers and publishers are being quite reckless with this practice than anything else that in the end we all end up losing in the long run.

No Sony, I won't pay for the multi-player component of a console.

That kinda sucks.
It's still a fuckload better than what Microsoft is offerying, that's for damn sure, but it's still a shame to see.

Hazy992:

That's exactly what Sony's doing. When you pay $60 for a game, you paid your right to play online. If you're playing online, you're not playing on Sony's servers. The PSN or Xbox Live service is not even needed for online gaming, it's just a convenience, nothing more.

Honestly, PS Plus is more than worth it anyway, so provided it stays the same and keeps churning out those free games, I will happily continue to buy PS Plus.

To be quite honest they had me at "kingdom hearts 3" but I'm a dirty dirty whore so meh.

Oh and it is quite sad that Sony is winning e3 based on "hey we wont be utter bastards to you" Would have preferred a tad more... Actually new stuff. But hey thats the modern games market for you.

In a nutshell, about the same price as XBL, has been much better value so far, Microsoft doing it does not somehow make it ok, and it's a damn shame because it's about the only thing about the PS4 that's making me think twice about purchasing it.

One of my problems is that it is single-account, and I have multiple accounts in order to make more characters on RPGs and more mechs in Armored Core. That's all I do. I would much rather it apply to all accounts on the system, like DLC does.

Another is that with making PS+ mandatory, it will also become widespread, and I think that poses a threat to the value for money PS+ has delivered recently. I certainly don't count on Sony putting up games for free once the majority of their playerbase will be able to capitalise on it.

Thirdly, even single player games are regularly incorporating multiplayer elements that improve the game but probably aren't worth calling multiplayer. For example, Dragon's Dogma.

So I'm not happy about it at all, and would be set on buying a PS4 if it weren't for this news, but my decision will depend on the quality of service PS+ provides in the future.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here