Fez Creator Responds to Xbox Live Policy Change

Pages PREV 1 2

Baldr:

SquidSponge:
The guy may be a dick, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether he's right or not. Argumentum ad hominem anyone? Judge what he says on what he says, not who he is. As for the swearing bit, I agree entirely with Fry (I wondered how long it'd take for someone to post those vids), but I might go on to say that I consider them to be just another tool in my box - devices to be used as the job requires, according to one's preferred methods. The fuss around them is frankly absurd. Furthermore, if someone does wish to offend you, the best insults don't need swears to cut close to the bone.

OT again, I have don't really know who this Fish guy is but I can respect a fellow who speaks his mind and speaks it plainly. No PR filter, no corporate double-talk, no putting on airs - in short, refreshing honesty. Plus he gives further evidence to shake off this "look at us, we're so indie-friendly" fabrication that MS has been pushing recently. I find being assailed with utter bollocks far more offensive than using a naughty word in my presence.

Actually personality has a huge impact on your place in the game industry. The only thing people care about in this industry a bit more than personality is talent. He probably wouldn't have had the problems he's encountered if he had a nicer personality.

This.

The guy is as unlikeable as people come and he never misses a chance to eff up his reputation a bit more. Not saying that MS is good guys, but I kinda wonder how his "talks" with MS went. If he was anything like himself in contract negotiations, I can see how he ended up in a bad spot. -.-

That being said, I read somewhere that MS is dropping the whole "pay to patch" thing. Need to find source.

Phil Fish gets a lot of hate because he is an asshole but that doesn't make him any less wrong here or deserved to be treated like this by Microsoft. He is still a damn good game developer in my eyes.

Accidental double post died here.

AHG!! It is like a fist fight between Hitler,Kim Jong-un ,and Stalin..... I just want to see all of them beat to death for the good of all humanity. Micro$oft or Fish?.?.??? I just can not side with either and I hope they both lose out on this new console generation.....

Ah, the usual Fish forum responses

"he's an asshole!"

uum, why? nothing he's saying is wrong or even objectionable

"..."

So he's outspoken. Good. This industry needs it

Liggliluff:
Did he ask for these promotions? I mean, if you don't say what you want, it's hard to give you it. Everything isn't obvious.

If you're a publisher and you don't find it obvious that you should be promoting the shiz-niz yo sellin', you're a complete moron.

Liggliluff:
Did he ask for these promotions? I mean, if you don't say what you want, it's hard to give you it. Everything isn't obvious.
I find this quote from Disney's The Recess fit perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTOdwx8C3U#t=588s
- "But, it's not fair, he only had to be the New Kid for a few days. I had to do it for three whole years!"
- "Hey, you should have said something"

Except, its a publisher's JOB to do all of the promotion for a game. Its what a publisher is FOR.

Microsoft just wasn't doing its job. Period. And on top of that... to be 'exclusive' the dev had to PAY Microsoft.

How does any of part of this arrangement benefit the developer?

Compare that to say... Steam... and they will typically do a lot to expose a new developer's game on their service. I obviously don't know the specifics of every deal, but... generally, when a game is actually released (or even just up for pre-order), Steam will at least include it in the list of 'announcements' that pop up every so often when you launch the program.

And then there's Greenlight... which, as flawed as it is, at least exposes Steam users to indie games that are either in development, or are already finished and are looking to get on Steam.

Liggliluff:
I find this quote from Disney's The Recess fit perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTOdwx8C3U#t=588s
- "But, it's not fair, he only had to be the New Kid for a few days. I had to do it for three whole years!"
- "Hey, you should have said something"

You can't even ask Microsoft for your own release date on the XBLAH. They'll roll your arcade title out on Tuesday, January the 12th, a date shown to be a guaranteed failure for anyone who launches, if they want to.

Microsoft's Live policies are horrible for developers, every single dev has said as much.

I think we can all agree he comes across as a prick, but I'm totally on his side, nonetheless.

I still think Microsoft's patch fees were nothing short of extortion; they sound like a fucking loanshark charging five times the going rate for the kidney your dying son needs to live.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here