Update: Mega Man Creator Kickstarts Mighty No. 9

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

kiri2tsubasa:
It is the same issue I have when these creative individuals are not reigned in. The result is something I do not like (See Psyconauaghts and Brutal Legends).

Funny that you mention Psychonauts, a game widely considered to be pure genius.

It's fine that you don't like this or other projects, but claiming that creative individuals not being controlled is a bad thing... In a market where the exact opposite (business concerns being in charge) is the reason for most of the stagnation and abusive practices we see, really rubs me the wrong way.

Really, these "this project shouldn't be made" attitudes are disgusting. If you don't like it, don't support it. But try to show some respect for people who are trying to build new things (in this case Inafune's dream project), even if they don't cater specifically to your tastes. (Hint: Trying not to be outright dismissive is a valid way of showing some basic human respect and decency)

I'd personally prefer to have hundreds of mediocre Kickstarters I'm not interested in, than a single exploitative-DLC ridden consumer hostile AAA title I might have liked a lot.

In fact, there are many AAA titles I'd like to play, but won't due to the crap they attempt to pull on the consumer. That's what you get with unrestrained corporate control, I'll take unrestrained creativity every single time, thank you very much.

I know I'm late to the party, and I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by saying this (especially since I'm genuinely interested in this project), but I just love the idea that Keiji Inafune made such a big deal about leaving Capcom over their "80% sequels" rule, and so he responds by starting his own company so he can develop his own Mega Man sequel spiritual successor.

If this becomes I trend, then I look forward to Cliff Bleszinski's This Ain't Gears of War and Peter Molyneux's I Can't Believe It's Not Fable!

Retrograde:

Ukomba:

No worries there, you're attitude has put me off this whole thread.

Don't be like that man, I didn't mean any hurt feels, but for some reason on some topics people feel at complete liberty to throw around a few words and actually argue for things from positions of total ignorance. Which, in the fullest respect, I assume sums up your knowledge of IP law?

First off, the wheelchair mohawk thing was a joke from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Second, it's a concern that even game journalists have brought up to Inafune. He can say it's built from the ground up, and similarities are just due to him being the artist for both, but lawsuits have come up over this kind of thing in the past. The Great Giana Sisters for example. I never said he would get sued. I don't know the law, and am no expert in the area and didn't claim to be, I was just expressing the hope he had gotten legal advice to ensure it doesn't become an issue. Your response seemed excessive.

A big company like Capcom can make a lot of trouble for him over it even if it's different enough that he should be safe. A legal battle would be expensive and toxic even if he wins.

No offense, but you keep coming off like an arrogant know it all in response you do to people who brings the subject up. I doubt anyone commenting on here has gone to law school, but they do have eyes. No need to browbeat them over the lack of knowledge. It's obviously similar to megaman, and done so by design. People are just wondering if he's really in the safe zone like he says, or of Capcom will make trouble. If the Kickstarter goes well (and it looks like it will be huge) Capcom may finally get the message people want Megaman, see this game as infringing on their territory, and seek to eliminate or slow it's release while they work to get a true Megaman sequel on the market first. I don't know if that's likely or possible, but I've seen companies be dicks before, seemingly just for the lolz. Can you say with %100 legal certainty that they won't?

Scrythe:
If this becomes I trend, then I look forward to Cliff Bleszinski's This Ain't Gears of War and Peter Molyneux's I Can't Believe It's Not Fable!

Cliffy hasn't done it yet[1], but I think the Molyneux product you are looking for is Godus. Or maybe War for the Overworld[2].

[1] As far as I'm aware. A quick google search doesn't get any hits for projects Cliffy has kickstarted
[2] Molyneux's not making this one, but he gave it his endorsement

Ukomba:
Snip

Giana sisters was a case of the little company that couldn't deciding to walk away, they didn't need to, Ninty were bluffing and got away with it. Just because someone says they'll take legal action doesn't mean they will or would get anything but a bill if they did.

The game released on the DS anyway, thus proving that even more blatant ripoffs of even bigger properties, (copying outright specifics in an even bigger pisstake) can and will be allowed to exist alongside the originals.

But for someone who is 'just saying' this is what, the fourth post you've made standing on this?

This forum is weird for this kind of shit. This has came up on Dtoid too and when people were corrected the response was something similar to what you'd get in life.

"oh, well that's good to know =]", and then walking the fuck away.

Not,

"Well, I don't know what I'm talking about but don't think that's gonna stop me calling you wrong and arrogant and stick my heels on on this because of reasons!".

What are you even arguing for? What's your endgame here?

This truly is everything that needs to happen to the game industry.
Japan is confirmed to truly be using Kickstarter now. You can't get a much more important person on board with Kickstarter than Keiji Inafune.

I'm only saddened this didn't get even more than than it has so far. For all I'm concerned, this deserves to be the top funded project on Kickstarter.

EstrogenicMuscle:
This truly is everything that needs to happen to the game industry.
Japan is confirmed to truly be using Kickstarter now. You can't get a much more important person on board with Kickstarter than Keiji Inafune.

I'm only saddened this didn't get even more than than it has so far. For all I'm concerned, this deserves to be the top funded project on Kickstarter.

While it is great to see kickstarters do well and to see all of the interest behind it, it actually worries me a little bit when a kickstarter goes a little bit too much other it's intended goal. Let me explain.

If the kickstarter earns a project all of it's stretch goals then they have a pretty reasonable idea of how much it would cost in order to reach those goals. But if they go off into unknown territory it forces the developer to come up with more stretch goals. Stretch goals that they need to create before the game is released, and these stretch goals need to be made on the spot and be better then ever. I just feel it puts a little bit of unneeded pressure on developers.

Of course Inafune and his team may be prepared with their 'mystery' stretch goal but it's a thought I've had about these kickstarters.

The really sad thing is that all this success on the mere idea of a classic style Megaman game still won't get capcom to do anything meaningful with the property. I guess they're just to busy grinding every cent they can con people out of with resident evil games...

As a semi-update, I want to inform everyone that the kickstarter is now officially past the $2 million mark. Almost to the console ports!

Well, they've appended some more stretch goals...

$2,400,000: Challenge mode
$2,550,000: Extra end stage + boss
$2,750,000: Beck + Call online co-op challenge mode
$3,300,000: PS4 and Xbox One versions

There are also stretch goals of $2,900,000 and $3,100,000, but the rewards for those are not announced yet.

So anyway, as thebobmaster said, it's over $2,000,000, and still 19 days left to rack up another $1,300,000.
This is getting more and more interesting...

Mydnyght:
$2,750,000: Beck + Call online co-op challenge mode

This is literally the most amazing thing. They're even considering playable single player Call, too.

I don't care at all about console versions because I'm the stereotypical Escapist PC gamer. But playable Call? Yes, please. And even though I'd prefer single player Call, this is going to add huge replay value to the game and I'm going to be playing this mode with my Steam friends all the time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here