Boy Brings Gun To School, Father Blames Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh God! I have been predicting this for years. They have finally run out of violent games/franchises to blame and have blamed something that has no violent qualities (the best MineCraft does is teach you self-defense and how to stop suicide bombers).
Even the name 'MineCraft' should tell you this.

Wait, what? I don't... oh... my head.

The dad is complaining about his son bringing the weapons to school and blaming video games, but answer me this. Did the dad have those weapons secured? I highly doubt it. Minecraft isn't even "a zombie slaying game" as he put it, while yeah it has monsters in it that's not really the purpose, and vanilla minecraft doesn't even have guns!!

This guy has his head firmly lodged in his butt, the games aren't at fault, his poor parenting is.

miketehmage:

Anyway what baffles me more than anything else is "Mini sledgehammer."

What exactly is that? A hammer? Because if it's actually a smell sledge hammer I'm impressed a 9 year old managed to carry it all the way to school in his backpack along with a gun and a knife.

They probably mean a mallet that doesn't have a rubber head, i've got one.

JokerboyJordan:

He said his son brought the weapons to school to emulate "the zombie-slaying game" Minecraft, which he played "every day, for about an hour..."

Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.

But no worries, keep on blaming those evil videogames, surely it can't be poor gun safety or anything like that right?

And really, a kid messed up with minecraft is far more likely to dig up his backyard with the tools from the garage so he can build some kind of massive house. I don't see how it has anything to do with the gun.

MatsVS:
Boy brings guns to school, father a moron who should be arrested for keeping firearms and ammunition around the house where a 9 year old could get to them.

Actually he did keep it without the firing pin so he had taken some measures to avoid it being used to actually kill someone by accident or not so it's not as irresponsible as a great number of cases that have been reported earlier. Still... I can't say it's responsible...

OT: Honestly in this case I'm not sure what might be the main factor. While the fact that a 9 year old could get his hands on a gun is frightening it wasn't left in a state where it could be used and his parents monitored his gaming since he was limited to 1 hour a day it seems. My guess here is that the kid is having some problems in school, either bullying or underachieving and might be dealing with some self esteem issues. This kid should be checked out by a psychiatrist rather than sentenced to home confinement. That's kinda like having the bomb squad increase the time on a bomb rather than actually disarming it.

Ken Sapp:

Actually a sledgehammer can be quite concealable. I, for instance, have a 2 lb. sledgehammer with a 1 ft handle. I could easily hide that in any backpack I have ever owned. Whether or not I would want to carry it around all day is another matter.

That's just a hammer imo, a sledgehammer is something most people would need two hand to wield effectively imo.

But anyways, gun control is/should be the issue here. How children in America need to get a hold of a gun before people start taking the precautions needed.
Maybe they need to get rid of guns (never going to happen) or make an example of one of the negligent parents/guardians (jail time?) and make sure it gets a lot of press coverage state/nation wide.
Or maybe there is a better solution but off the top of my head I can't think of one.

And I just realised they can't blame realistic graphics this time.

Dominic Crossman:

I was hoping someone would bring that up.

Oh god, do you all know what this means? No game is safe from the anti-gaming media!!!

kid brings bombs to school and somehow it will be Doodle Jump's fault.

This is news because Minecraft is very popular with kids.

its always the other ones fault, eh?

stay classy america.

JokerboyJordan:

Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.

Probably a vast understatement, to try and make him sound like a better parent. He realised he fucked up allowing a 9yo access to his personal weapon, so obviously doesn't want to admit to the press that he lets the kid stay up until 1 playing minecraft every night... I also doubt he only plays minecraft. What are the odds on him also having Left for Dead, or a game which actually has guns, sledgehammers and knives?

Seriously though... A kid taking weapons to school because he thinks he is immitating a game is no different to one of my cousins who went through a phase of making bows and arrows out of string and wood and firing them at people because he read robin hood! (And also a lot of other books which involved people with bows! Seems there were a lot!) What are they going to do? Ban kids from reading too?

OH...MY...GOD...an entire HOUR of Minecraft a day? Truly his son was the most hardcore of gamers! Playing COD and GTA is one thing but only the most violent and depraved games ever made...Minecraft. Next thing you'll tell me is he played Peggle too!

But seriously fuck that irresponsible, dumbass dad. It's times like these I really think that you need a license to raise a kid because fuckwits like him are responsible for the well being of a child. How these clearly negligent parents get away with this crap is disgusting.

Reminds me of the time I brought my dad's AK-47 and a clip full of hollow point bullets coated in gasoline to school because I used them to shoot dragons in Zelda. They should make child friendly games. Like a game about building structures out of blocks or something.

Yeah, bad parenting and yadda yadda. How does a kid decide to go on a killing spree? My parents would have to have untaught me to be human for me to do that? Remember, this is a nine year old, still in the age of 'everything is magic', not the usual unhappy teenager.

I think we're letting the ridiculousness of the Minecraft blame overshadow the fact that this fuckwit left multiple deadly weapons where his nine year old son could get them.

Elementary - Dear Watson:

JokerboyJordan:

Probably a vast understatement, to try and make him sound like a better parent...

Sorry to cut your comment so short, but I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING he said was to make him sound like a better parent. I wouldn't be surprised if he was bullshitting about the gun having a removed pin. I mean, come on... Why would you do that, leave the thing lying around because you thinks it's safe, then act surprised when your son takes it to school and throw it away? (btw assuming on the last two points due to vagueness in the article)

Infernal Lawyer:

Elementary - Dear Watson:

JokerboyJordan:

Probably a vast understatement, to try and make him sound like a better parent...

Sorry to cut your comment so short, but I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING he said was to make him sound like a better parent. I wouldn't be surprised if he was bullshitting about the gun having a removed pin. I mean, come on... Why would you do that, leave the thing lying around because you thinks it's safe, then act surprised when your son takes it to school and throw it away? (btw assuming on the last two points due to vagueness in the article)

Agreed! The fact that he leaves a weapon and ammo around for a 9yo to find, (and covertly take) makes me instantly suspicious of his character anyway. There is always more to these stories that meets the eye!

I also hate the media. Stories in papers should rarely be taken at face value, and more focus should be given to what was not said, not what was said!

Wait, wait, wait... so... the game you can play where

1. there are no guns unless modded in
2. can play in casual mode in which no weapons needed
3. suicidal bushes leap from no where to whip your sorry butt off the world

is being blamed and child services hasn't removed the child from the home!? Because obviously this man has no idea how to care for his child. He's nine and I know that there are these mystical things called the ESRB and PEGI, but this kid only plays for at most an hour a day whether or not this is a parent set rule or not is not really the issue but if you can't take an hour a day to sit with your kid and watch them play a game just proves you don't care about your child.

My father worked for the United States government in the health department when I was a child and he always spent time with me either letting me sit on his lap as he played DOOM(maybe not the best parenting choice but I never took a chainsaw and a BFG 9000 to school, so I think I turned out ok) or watched me play Star Trek. When the new generation of parents takes responsibility on parenting and stops blaming video games I'll eat my legs and become a nun.

KB13:

My father worked for the United States government in the health department when I was a child and he always spent time with me either letting me sit on his lap as he played DOOM(maybe not the best parenting choice but I never took a chainsaw and a BFG 9000 to school, so I think I turned out ok)

But that was back then! When games didn't have these hyper-realistic graphics that you could easily mistake for real life!

I'm not going to say video games cause violence, but clearly the correlation between such violent video games and the abrupt rise of crime rates in the last years really begs the question: "does the existence of videogames compel innocent law-abiding bystanders to go on crazy murdersprees where thousands of people die?". We clearly need to dedicate resources to investigate this question and explore the occult link between games and mass murder.

While taking away all your video games seems like a pretty reasonable, if mild, punishment for playing with dad's firearms, I'm not really sure where he's getting that the two are actually related.

Especially since Minecraft... doesn't have any guns. I think not at all even with mods, but certainly not by default.

(Also worth noting that the kid playing with the gun is a misdemeanor, the father leaving the gun out and unsecured where the kid could get it is a FELONY. That's why the old man is blatantly lying about the firing pin being removed, in most states he's otherwise looking at something like 18 months in jail and a few thousand bucks in fines.)

GundamSentinel:
Bwahahaha, Minecraft!

If I didn't know how anal some people can be about video games I'd say that this concerned dad was trolling.

Gun control? Nah, blame video games.

I legit think this parent has seen people blaming videgames he thought:

"Well the blame is going to be thrown at me. Shit, how can I get out of this!?" *neasrby tv report* "Videogames! That's brilliant! Everyone is blaming videogames as of late, now I just need a videogame to blame. Whats that game little Timmy plays?" *looks at computer shortcuts* "Ah, Minecraft! That'll do."

There are just no words..

Haha, Minecraft? Might as well blame knitting. That's a new one by me.

Some day, I'll know society is getting better when the headline reads: Father blames self.

In this case it makes total sense people. Stop attacking the father just because we're all gamers here, no need to be fanatics. Minecraft has a lot to do with survival, the kid obviously is reflecting his survival skills, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox News found out he also has a shack or something built in his backyard... Fucking game...

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

GundamSentinel:
Bwahahaha, Minecraft!

If I didn't know how anal some people can be about video games I'd say that this concerned dad was trolling.

"Well the blame is going to be thrown at me. Shit, how can I get out of this!?" *neasrby tv report* "Videogames! That's brilliant! Everyone is blaming videogames as of late, now I just need a videogame to blame. Whats that game little Timmy plays?" *looks at computer shortcuts* "Ah, Minecraft! That'll do."

That's as disturbing as it is plausible... This is an eerie time we live in.

... Why does he have ammo for a gun with no firing pin? The gun itself I could see as threatening but benign item.

Roflcakes! I know I should take that kind of stuff seriously - as it reflects badly on the gamer community to be constantly blamed for things like this. But minecraft? MINECRAFT?? I may as well try to blame all my problems on the fact that I played Pacman when I was a nipper.

This to me smacks of a classic misdirection "what will the neighbours think" kind of attitude. "It couldn't possibly be anything that I could have done anything about so know I take away all the games and PRESTO! problem solved".

Formica Archonis:

Xan Krieger:
Also if the kid was trying to live out Minecraft in real life why didn't he start by chopping down a tree?

WITH HIS FISTS.

I'm dying. Cannot breathe :')

OT: After 5 minutes of laughing...I'm more concerned how a 9 year old was able to walk out of his house with such items. Didn't his dad pack his bag? You know, like most parents do? _

He brought redstone, a creeper, and a pickaxe to school?

orangeapples:

Dominic Crossman:

I was hoping someone would bring that up.

Oh god, do you all know what this means? No game is safe from the anti-gaming media!!!

kid brings bombs to school and somehow it will be Doodle Jump's fault.

Kid brings a Flame Thrower to school. It is revealed that the kids favourite Pokemon is Charizard...

Great parenting there what can I say...when things go array blame videogames!

Now let me ask you this mr. "father": don't leave your -full loaded gun- into arms reach of your kid ? Just saying.

-Dragmire-:
... Why does he have ammo for a gun with no firing pin? The gun itself I could see as threatening but benign item.

It was likely a display piece, such as a revolver or similar in a display with ammunition (you see a lot of revolvers displayed in a case with 6 bullets), but the firearm itself was rendered non-functional by removal of the firing pin. I'm assuming this is what was taken by the child.

arc1991:
I'm dying. Cannot breathe :')

Glad you enjoyed it.:)

arc1991:
OT: After 5 minutes of laughing...I'm more concerned how a 9 year old was able to walk out of his house with such items. Didn't his dad pack his bag? You know, like most parents do? _

I think the problem with a lot of these weapon-at-school things is that the parents don't pack their kids' bags or otherwise show any concern or care for them.:/

"I'm sorry sir, you have cancer."

"What caused it? Was it all the cigarettes?"

"No, it was video games!"

"The planet is dieing!"

"What is the cause?!"

"Video games!"

"Dracula, how have you taken flesh once again!?"

"Video games"

"Damn it!"

"I'm pregnant, and video games are the father!"

GundamSentinel:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

GundamSentinel:
Bwahahaha, Minecraft!

That's as disturbing as it is plausible... This is an eerie time we live in.

Its less plausible and more about 90% likely to be the truth. You can say whatever you want about the anti-videogames idiots in America, but at least they always made sure it was a shooter or something they were getting angry about. There is no way in hell someone could think they could get up about Minecraft and be taken seriously. Hell, he should have known he was not going to succeed when he saw the icon for its .exe: a grassy dirt block.

Ive been playing MC for about 30 hours a week since beta 1.2
so i must be training for the next holocaust or something by this fathers logic

...Minecraft? I mean... Minecraft? Corrupting children? The same game in which hours are spent mining resources to build a self-sufficient lifestyle which enables and supports creativity? Yeah, nothing but evil there. God help us before all our morals crumble under the wrathful heel of the Nintendogs! Then Wii Sports will hold our children's futures hostage with its encouragement of physical activity and healthy lifestyles! And, as the legend foretells, the Skylanders shall arise from the murky depths to rape and pillage the whole of society! Also, as a sidenote, Grand Theft Auto 5 came out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here