No Happy Marriages for DC Heroes

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Silverbeard:
There are no happy marriages anywhere. The belief that marriage is an automatic end to all of ones problems and a universal remedy for ones issues is a myth held by the unmarried amongst us. There is not a single relationship wherein one can put up ones feet and say' It's going to be clear sailing from here!' Life is simply not like that.

This says nothing about marriages amongst 'heroes', who likely have their own sets of unique problems that go well beyond the typical concerns of the less superior folk. Why should happy marriages be more likely for them than they are for us?

Then why not explore those stories? DC used to be very very good at it. Look at some of the old Justice Society characters, and the long marriages among some of them, that were both very character defining, and could provide some of the best drama and most stunning humanization of the characters. I fail to see how insisting that their characters remain sexual Peter Pan's will bring in a broader audience. At best it is a convenience move for the rotating pool of writers, so they don't have to deal with the debris left behind by the previous scribe. It's lazy. It's offensive. And once word creeps out its going to stir up the Fox News crowd even more than Batwoman's Lesbian wedding. (Honestly few on the right side of the political spectrum really care if Batwoman gets married as a Lesbian. It's legal in some states. It happens. But banning any depictions of normal married life because of drama? Yeah that's gonna tick ALL of them off.)

I walked away from giving DC any more money last year. I'm now very very glad for that decision.

faefrost:

Then why not explore those stories? DC used to be very very good at it. Look at some of the old Justice Society characters, and the long marriages among some of them, that were both very character defining, and could provide some of the best drama and most stunning humanization of the characters. I fail to see how insisting that their characters remain sexual Peter Pan's will bring in a broader audience. At best it is a convenience move for the rotating pool of writers, so they don't have to deal with the debris left behind by the previous scribe. It's lazy. It's offensive. And once word creeps out its going to stir up the Fox News crowd even more than Batwoman's Lesbian wedding. (Honestly few on the right side of the political spectrum really care if Batwoman gets married as a Lesbian. It's legal in some states. It happens. But banning any depictions of normal married life because of drama? Yeah that's gonna tick ALL of them off.)

I walked away from giving DC any more money last year. I'm now very very glad for that decision.

I can certainly tell you why I would never write a story about marital problems, if I wrote stories for a living: because it's mundane and run-of-the-mill. We all know what marital arguments are like. Even the unmarried amongst us have observed blazing rows between our parents. Do we really need to see more of that in our comics? I cannot see the appeal in Batman and Catwoman arguing abut car payments or finances or any of the other little things that routinely spark brawls- verbal and physical- between couples worldwide. Unless this was used an excuse to get two heroes to have a rowdy punch-up without needing to make either one a clear villain, but there are easier ways to do that than marital strife, surely.

DC's editors have been fucking things over long before the New 52. Things are just coming to a head because with all the continuity largely lost, the editors fuck-ups are even more noticeable.

Bob Harras, what an idiot.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or