Football Manager 2013 Pirated 10 Million Times

Pages PREV 1 2

Steven Bogos:
He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out.

The trouble with that argument is that it kind of falls down for games that have a comprehensive demo available for free. In this case, the demo is the full game with no restrictions, but you only get to play for 6 months in-game time. That certainly gives you plenty of opportunity to try things out and decide if you like it, and I very much doubt anyone playing it less than five times will get anywhere near that far in the first place, so there's really no justification for pirating it at all. I struggle to condemn people for wanting to try something out when the developer/publisher makes it impossible to do so legally, but in this case there really is no excuse. Far from wanting to try out a game to see if they liked it, they simply wanted a free game and happened not to like it.

He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out.

If only game companies could offer a very stripped down, free version of their game that offers a limited vertical slice of functionality as a means to demonstrate to potential buyers what the game is all about.

I think I've stepped on something totally new here.

*Some research later*

Oh, they have a demo out. THIS MAKES NO SENSE, JUST USE THE DEMO.

Maybe we've become so accustomed to NOT having comprehensive demos (if a demo AT ALL) that people pirated it to still try it out? That's all I can think of.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here