Electronic Arts Named To HRC's "Best Places To Work 2014" List

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Electronic Arts Named To HRC's "Best Places To Work 2014" List

EA Pride banner

The Human Rights Campaign has placed Electronic Arts on its list of the best places to work in 2014.

Electronic Arts may be the worst company in America as chosen by the internet, but the Human Rights Campaign, a civil rights organization working on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the U.S., says it's also one of the best places to work in 2014. EA scored 100 percent on the HRC's Corporate Equality Index, the 12th such survey, which rates workplaces on LGBT equality.

The survey notes that EA prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, offers "partner health/medical insurance" and "parity across other 'soft' benefits for partners," plus transgender-inclusive health insurance coverage and other related resources. The company also "positively engages the external LGBT community" and, perhaps even more important, hasn't recently been embroiled in any "large-scale official or public anti-LGBT blemish."

EA's noteworthy pro-LGBT activities in 2013 included being an official sponsor of the first Gaymer X convention and raising more than $10.5 million with the Humble Origin Bundle, all of which went to charities including the Human Rights Campaign. It's kind of sad that providing equal access to health insurance and benefits is worthy of special recognition but such is the world we live in, and while it may not seem like much compared to, say, fixing Battlefield 4, I still think it's worth a little recognition and praise.

Source: Electronic Arts

Well done to EA on this, and in this one (granted limited!) respect, they absolutely deserve it. EA's been consistently pro-LGBT in all regards. (For example, they're one of the few large companies to support GaymerX.)

Granted, I'd argue they're a crappy place to work for other reasons, but then, that was a number of years ago. Maybe things have improved.

As much as I respect EA for this I do hope that soon we can live in a world where doing those things won't be considered special. For now, Cheers!

So, how long can this thread last without someone trying to spin this into something bad?

This is great. Mad props to the dawgs at EA. Other companies should be like this.

EA has been interesting lately... They seem to be doing all they can to appeal to people, but just don't know how NOT to think in terms of a business... Which I guess nullifies my first statement. I mean... I guess they're helping out with some things. Just not through expressing developer's ideas.

Compatriot Block:
So, how long can this thread last without someone trying to spin this into something bad?

On the news post on the main page it was the first comment. Still trying to figure out if the person thinks EA is sucking up or if that person just hates gays.

Now if only they'd apply this policy to the products they sell to their customers, they might be worthy of earning back some of the vast depths of respect they've lost in the eyes of so many.

They earned some of my respect back when they agreed to stop production on C&C Online. And this is encouraging, as well. I'd like to go back to liking them, but they have a long way to go still.

Well, another good on them, though the thread is misleading, they may be equal in how they treat people, but I am curious as to how the working conditions actually rate.

Compatriot Block:

People managed to spin them giving money to cancer patients as bad, I have no doubt this will be spun bad as well, then again cancer patients don't have the social justice warriors going to bat for them to yell people down.

LGBT equality?

Next time I meet my boss, I will say that proving LGBT equality in the workplace will not only make everyone not give a shit but will also make the workplace humane. It's good and all but I think more people are concerned of not having enough disability/cultural variety. You don't go to work to fuck around - literary speaking.

Right so that was their reason for that stunt, they play into someones agenda and that agenda group then calls them best company ever... completely not a manufactured set of circumstances if I ever saw one.

This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired once their game is released.

So... there policy doesn't allow discrimination? That's kind of a given in most companies isn't it? Well it is in Australia atleast.

Although props to them for actively going out and supporting LGBT communities.

But... best place to work? I don't know about that. Maybe from an LGBT rights standpoint, but from some of the stories I've heard, doesn't seem like the 'best' place to work.

Yeah, okay, this is pretty cool. They're not saying that this is the best best place to work, but that it's gone above and beyond the call of duty than just meeting the requirements of inclusion.

This is a good win for EA, I think. Now if only they could, somehow, become an actually good place to work...

I think we should keep hating away.
2 New posts about EA doing good in the world as part of their "Best Company in America" bid in one day? Ain't no patch, but it's clear our backlash made someone get out the checkbook for some good karma.

Weaver:
This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired their game is released.

I see what you did there and I approve, they don't care what sex your spouse is when you get home, so long as they don't mind that you come home only to sleep and sometimes not even then!

Honestly, when it comes to work your personal life shouldn't matter at all. Kudos to EA for a good environment, but they're far from the only place doing this.

Weaver:
This is fantastic! I'm glad EA is apathetic to the gender and sexual orientation of the people it forces to work 90 hour work weeks without seeing their family only to be fired their game is released.

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but it was a clip of EA employees somewhere joking about how their work schedule was flexible, and that they could "work any 80 hours of the week they wanted".

Mr.K.:
Right so that was their reason for that stunt, they play into someones agenda and that agenda group then calls them best company ever... completely not a manufactured set of circumstances if I ever saw one.

what agenda? EA have always been supportive of the lgbt community in its games for instance as far back as the first sims game if not further

Desert Punk:
Well, another good on them, though the thread is misleading, they may be equal in how they treat people, but I am curious as to how the working conditions actually rate.

The HRC doesn't take into account all workplace conditions, just matters that are LGBT specific. Things like "Does this company have a corporate policy against discrimination based on sexual orientation?", "Does this company have a corporate policy against discrimination on the basis of gender identity?", "Does this company provide equal benefits to same-sex partners and/or spouses?", "Does this company offer trans-specific healthcare?", and "Has this company done anything to undermine pro-LGBT activism, like donating to an anti-gay charity?"

http://asp.hrc.org/issues/workplace/organization_profile.asp?organization_id=487&search_id=1&search_type=Quick

CpT_x_Killsteal:
So... there policy doesn't allow discrimination? That's kind of a given in most companies isn't it? Well it is in Australia atleast.

Nope, not in the good ol' U S of A.

In the United States there are no federal protections in the regards to the employment of LGBT people in place, although just a few weeks ago, a bill, ENDA, was passed that would just do that. Companies can have whatever LGBT-friendly, or unfriendly, policy they want unless the state government specifies otherwise. For example, Chick-fil-a, although being anti-gay (or at least until recently, where the corporate heads must've realized that the best long-run option would be to not muddle their name like that) would donate regularly to anti-gay and anti-trans groups. The company, obviously, has no policy against LGB and T discrimination, and if anything, promotes it. However, in certain states, like my home state of New Jersey, its illegal to discriminate against people in the hiring process on the basis of being LGB and T, so they wouldn't be able to do that - in New Jersey. Alabama has no protections in place for sexual orientation or gender identity[1]

Now, EA, for example, even though its legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in Alabama, if EA set up a branch there, corporate policy would have it that they don't discriminate, even though they're legally allowed to.

[1] Just because a state has something in place against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation doesn't mean they have something in place against discrimination on the basis of gender identity. Vice versa does not apply - trans acceptance is well behind LGB acceptance.

So apparently the LGBT Human Rights Comission does not view payment for actual hours worked, or excessive use of crunch time as Human Rights issues? Indentured servitude is ok so long as its ok to openly be gay?

I could be cynical and say it's a front or a political angle and they don't actually care, and I wonder whether they're factoring in the pressure and overtime in certain periods, but maybe they're just a nice place to work. Which brings us, in the best case scenario, to that being well-treated people treating customers poorly.

So the LGBT people are being abused just as much as any other employee.
Good on them.

Mr.K.:

Oh no the evil corporation was tricking us all by doing charity work and defending people who don't even get to have the same health insurance as the rest of us.

And then worst of all they did it in the hope that then someone might praise them for the extent of their good work and the fact they've done more than almost anyone else.

What a terrible world we live in, I don't know how you get up in the morning when the bad people stoop so low as to provide equal rights for everyone

Desert Punk:

Compatriot Block:

People managed to spin them giving money to cancer patients as bad, I have no doubt this will be spun bad as well, then again cancer patients don't have the social justice warriors going to bat for them to yell people down.

Clowndoe:

Compatriot Block:

On the news post on the main page it was the first comment. Still trying to figure out if the person thinks EA is sucking up or if that person just hates gays.

Frustration has flash-frozen into sadness.

Alright EA, the people have spoken. Stop even trying to be better. Until you are able to completely satisfy everyone all at once in every way they can think of, don't bother making progress. But remember, if you are able to do this, we'll all just call it a publicity stunt.

At least if you act like a bunch of dicks, all you'll have to listen to is smug people saying "typical." Plus then you get to pocket money instead of donating it to cancer research!

Fuck HRC. Fuck HRC so goddamn much.

Y'see, when HRC say they support "LGBT" people, what they mean is that they support LGB people. Not T. They don't give a flying fuck about the trans* community. In my opinion, HRC are the most showy, "we love the gays so look at us we are good!" charity in the world, and anyone who supports them will be equally as showy.

There are charities that actually care. HRC doesn't. I spit on HRC. "Human rights campaign", bah.

Last time I checked developers working at EA aren't allowed to create games in their spare time without first clearing a mile of red tape.

Good job EA, now go fix BF4. I still can't play it without micro-freezing every few seconds for a few seconds.

EA donates over a million dollars to cancer charity and doesn't set fire to LGBT workers: will it be enough for the Escapist to forgive their terrible, evil sins or are they doomed to spend all eternity as a boogeyman gamers will warn their children about?

Lets find out!

For all the shit that EA does. it's nice to see a company that so consistently supports LGBT people. I wish more companies followed their example in this regard. Hats off to them.

Mr.K.:

You do realise they didn't implement these policies last week, right? EA have been quite outspoken about their support of LGBT rights for a while now.

So, bragging how you don't discriminate against people based on their sexuality is all that takes to win over hearts and minds nowadays?

Hawkeye21:

So, bragging how you don't discriminate against people based on their sexuality is all that takes to win over hearts and minds nowadays?

If an employee killed him/herself due to working conditions, there is no way that wouldn't have landed in the news and spread like wildfire. So...I guess, can you show me the link to that news-article, any proof at all?

Otherwise I'll take this text with a boatload of salt. Like anything on the internet, coincidentally.

OT: It should be normal. It's nice to see it happening. It will be better when it's not newsworthy anymore.

Working at EA seems to be a luck of the draw kind of thing. I have a lot of friends working at EA (mostly their Canadian branches) who are very, very happily employed. Have yet to meet someone who actually confirms something atrocious is going on. But in a huge corporation like EA, I am guessing it largely depends in which part of the company you work, no? Like in most other companies I suppose (when they reach a certain size).

BlindChance:

Granted, I'd argue they're a crappy place to work for other reasons, but then, that was a number of years ago. Maybe things have improved.

No, things haven't. Unfortunately, "best place to work" surveys don't generally count for job security or employee happiness, it's all a game of benefits and base pay.

EA does a lot of terrible things. This is not one of them. I never thought I'd say this, but kudos to EA.

Compatriot Block:

Desert Punk:

Compatriot Block:

Clowndoe:

Compatriot Block:

Frustration has flash-frozen into sadness.

Alright EA, the people have spoken. Stop even trying to be better. Until you are able to completely satisfy everyone all at once in every way they can think of, don't bother making progress. But remember, if you are able to do this, we'll all just call it a publicity stunt.

At least if you act like a bunch of dicks, all you'll have to listen to is smug people saying "typical." Plus then you get to pocket money instead of donating it to cancer research!

I was thinking the same thing.

I mean how the hell do you expect someone to even try to do better when all you do is just scoff and call whatever they do a publicity-stunt or the like?!?

I really, really don't get it. People scream for EA to do better, and when they try to do better, they still just keep moaning about them. Why do EA even bother trying to do better if this is the general response?!?

Don't get me wrong, EA still has a lot to make up for and from what I gather it is still an awful place to work, equality or no. Credit where it's due though, this is a very good thing and something way more companies should be making a point of. Come on, if the princes of darkness and misery who run EA can do it so can you!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here