Farewell Jim Sterling

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Jim is legend. at first i couldnt see myself liking him or his stuff but now i cant get passed my mondays without him. \m/ keep on keepin on \m/

Thank your make believe god for Jim "FUCKING" Sterling, son!!

I was never a big fan of him ever since he called angry fans over the Mass Effect 3 ending spoiled and likened us to Kathy Bates. Everything he did under the guise of 'pro-consumer advocate' after that never sat well with me. Still, I wish him the best in his new endeavours.

PDugna:

Revnak:

And what "deplorable behavior?" Not supporting gamergate? Not answering every conspiratorial question thrown at him? Not throwing every friend he has under the bus for such a worthless cause as gamergate?

Stop. You are getting pissed off at one of the better voices in the industry because he isn't toeing your line. As a progressive, I get pissed when my kind do this (you'll never see me calling for Kojima's head, despite his flaws), so don't even try and reverse this on me either. Let him continue being one of the biggest consumer advocates out there in regards to literally every subject other than the ones gamergate is currently overblowing.

Jim is in no way a fucking "consumer advocate" jesus fuck, when the media itself is blacklisting people and giving press to their fucking buddies without transparency and we have proof of all of this. But all he does is sit back and go "meh" and ignores it all because it involves his damn friends. When there is actual god damn corruption and not a business acting like a fucking business no matter how scummy it's, he just ignores it.

What blacklistings? The one guy that keeps getting brought up specifically said he thinks Jim was a good guy who actually tried to help him. Everybody else are fucking complaining about being shutdown on private sites in individual cases because nobody has to give you a platform to say anything. I don't know, maybe you're talking about gamejournopros, which is only evidence of some vague form of collusion, which sounds like exactly the kind of thing Jim would not like.

He's in the same stupid group of "Progressives" who think they're still fighting the "MAN" that all powerful imaginary "MAN" that when corruption happens on a level that isn't the "MAN" it's nothing and should be ignored. The "MAN" targetting the smaller person is just as easy as the small people targeting the "MAN" and when both screw up, both should be investigated and reprimanded. Nobody should be given a special shield protecting them.

So no I say don't "Thank God" for Jim when Jim is a full blown hypocrite.

Have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like?

But seriously, you're talking to a guy who just said capitalism is an inherently evil system, and you are saying that we should not, in fact, focus on the "MAN," (the bourgeoisie) and that the little guy (the proletariat) can be just as bad, and you're just going to expect me to accept that? And where the hell is that even happening here? I'm just seeing a bunch of rich white idiots slinging shit back and forth because somebody dared to question their stance on video games, that most holy of subjects. And people are losing their jobs over it.

EDIT: btw Capitalism is neither good nor bad, it's neutral it's the people not the system.

Fascism is neither good nor bad, it's neutral it's the people not the system.

Also, I'll tell you what makes Jim a consumer advocate. He actually defends the little guy. When publishers or developers pull a bunch of lying, exploitative bullshit, he calls them out on it. He's even done this with some press or journalism related controversies in the past, though I suppose his friendly nature has tended to make this hard for him since he doesn't like to attack people he considers to be his friends. You have one damn data point, one shitty controversy, where he took a stance that could at worst be construed not as actively anti-consumer, but merely passively ignoring some form of exploitation. ONE.

Finally, what the hell is wrong with you people? Flipping your shit over one damn event. Letting the whole world revolve around your trivial "movement," acting like this is it, the main event. As if at any moment the heavens will divide and out Lord and Savior TotalBisucuit will do battle with the Anti-Gamer Literally Who, and that all those who bear her Tumblr mark will be thrown into the lake of faggotry and boredom, and he will take his chosen to the new Internet, where there will be streets paved with Steam sales and 40 waifus for each of you. And the sad fact is that I'm not even fucking kidding, there is almost certainly some random rant or picture depicting just that.

Sure, complain about shit, get angry, voice your opinions, fight over stuff. Don't ignore problems. But don't make everything into some fucking Holy War. If you keep making enemies out of everybody who commits one fucking offense, you aren't going to find yourself a lot of friends.

Not cool to see him go, especially under the circumstances of his departure.

Right after an Escapist staff member leaves, they get lambasted with a barrage of accusations of corruption, hypocrisy and probably a hundred other things under the sun by the time I've finished this comment?...Oh, and existing Escapist staff too. Is this a tradition of sorts here?

I bet this thread ends in a lock.

Well, that's certainly going to free up some browsing time around my house. See you on Wednesdays, Escapist.

Tomanil:
I was never a big fan of him ever since he called angry fans over the Mass Effect 3 ending spoiled and likened us to Kathy Bates. Everything he did under the guise of 'pro-consumer advocate' after that never sat well with me. Still, I wish him the best in his new endeavours.

He did later back down on that and admitted that he made a mistake, and that the people who were mad about the ending had a point. Jim tends to do that.

R.K. Meades:
Keep doing your thing, Jim, and get that money.

Ignore the insufferable yokels who are slating your Patreon campaign on social media.

what?
What's happening to his patreon?
Heck why'd he leave to begin with, it looked like he had a good thing going here.

Revnak:

Tomanil:

He did later back down on that and admitted that he made a mistake, and that the people who were mad about the ending had a point. Jim tends to do that.

So THAT'S what he looks like without makeup and a fat suit.

This is a shame. At least I can still follow him on his YouTube channel and the like. He makes a lot of interesting and well-articulated points, even if I don't agree with every last thing he says. I tend to come down on his side of things for the most part though.

Barbas:
Right after an Escapist staff member leaves, they get lambasted with a barrage of accusations of corruption, hypocrisy and probably a hundred other things under the sun by the time I've finished this comment?...Oh, and existing Escapist staff too. Is this a tradition of sorts here?

Nah, its just pro-GG people who have drinken the "batshit insane" flavour of Kool-Aid. I mean, we've had multiple people unironically say "pro-corruption" in the middle of all of this. I mean, rational discussion has left the building when the response to "I don't think GamerGate is an effective means to addressing these issues" is to call them pro-corruption. It'd be like somebody said that you were "soft on crime" because you didn't think that the death penalty was an appropriate response to littering.

Nope, content from producers and news room threads can't be locked by mods, only admins. Thats why you can still go and comment on the White Guy Defense Force comic or Bob's review of Expendables 2. I mean, you'd be a strike on your account because necro'ing is against the rules, but they were never actually locked.

Jim? Jim noooo! how could you leeeeeeeeeeeaave meeeeeeeeeeee!! you were the leader of all skeletons! *sob*

That's a shame, but I guess it just something that happens. Farethee well Jim, good luck with your future endeavors.

Actually Capitalism as a system requires an exploited underclass to work, the only thing that gives currency value is that the minority hold the majority of it. As a system is probably the worse of the lot because it pretends everyone can get rich but if everyone did the system would fail.

One less reason for me to keep coming back here. I just hope he keeps up his Jimquisition series on another site.

Revnak:

That all being said, the fact that he did explode on Twitter and Facebook would be grounds for firing, I agree. It doesn't excuse Archon, and it doesn't make me think less of Jim, but I agree that in most situations it would be reasonable to fire him over it.

Unless, of course, Archon fucked up on a pretty large scale. I mean, they did give up their story just like that (no tantrum or hissy fit would lead a journalist to just drop the story), they did admit to receiving "compelling evidence" and Archon did go into total radio silence, not only about Jim, but about all of GG.

They also left him, an editor, out of any and all consulting and decision making in the story, and then went ahead and published the story signing Escapiststaff without his consent. And Escapiststaff includes him.

I know how GG people like to minorize the situation as "Oh, Jim had a hissy fit about Roguestar and The Escapist nobly indulged in his whim", but fact is, it's not like the possibility of The Escapist (namely Archon) having really screwed up on this one and having been pretty fucking unethical is unlikely.

At all.

The ironies of course are:

that the media owner who tried to court controversy for clicks and new subs ended up losing argually the site's biggest draw, in terms of sheer variety of content;

that for all their talk of "let the market decide" people are overwhelmingly voting with their wallets to ensure Jim keeps producing

that his purported business model might actually be the ost "this is about ethics in games journalism" thing I've seen since this shitstorm began.

Revnak:

Tomanil:

I'm glad he's man enough to admit his mistakes. I never saw it though because I stopped caring about him at the time.

Looking at your earlier post, you (and others) seem to have quite an issue with GamerGate as a movement which is fine and I can respect that. I'd like it if you (and others) could try engaging us in some more civil debate in the megathread devoted to the subject as there are some things I'd love to go over with you. This doesn't seem to be the time for debating issues for either side nor making accusations as this topic should (rightfully) be about Jim F'n Sterling son or whatever people call him these days. He gets to do things on his own terms now. Not all of us are lucky enough to do the same.

Vault101:
Jim? Jim noooo! how could you leeeeeeeeeeeaave meeeeeeeeeeee!! you were the leader of all skeletons! *sob*

Jeez, SOB is a bit harsh. XD

MarsAtlas:

Barbas:

Nah, its just pro-GG people who have drinken the "batshit insane" flavour of Kool-Aid. I mean, we've had multiple people unironically say "pro-corruption" in the middle of all of this. I mean, rational discussion has left the building when the response to "I don't think GamerGate is an effective means to addressing these issues" is to call them pro-corruption. It'd be like somebody said that you were "soft on crime" because you didn't think that the death penalty was an appropriate response to littering.

Nope, content from producers and news room threads can't be locked by mods, only admins. Thats why you can still go and comment on the White Guy Defense Force comic or Bob's review of Expendables 2. I mean, you'd be a strike on your account because necro'ing is against the rules, but they were never actually locked.

Oh, right. I forgot it was a News Room thread and not the other one. Apparently you actually can comment on those old News Room threads without it being necromancy, as well. Same goes for Forum Games (and presumably the Pub Club forum, because that's dead as a dodo).

Started visiting the Escapist for Zero Punctuation, Top 5 w/Lisa Foiles and the Jimquisition / Uncivil War (even if I found Jim overbearing and just 'too much' at first).

Looks like I'll just be popping by on Wednesdays now... though the way things are going I have to wonder how long Z.P. will be around!

Sarge034:
I came here to watch Yahtzee and Jim, and I'm all outta Jim...

That sucks. He might have been hypocritical at times but at his heart I really do think he is in it for the right reasons. Sad to see him go, but at least he's not stopped completely. Keep fighting the good fight. I know you will because you're Jim Fucking Sterling, Son!

Pretty much exactly how I've been feeling about Jim lately, and my feelings on his departure now. Well said Sarge, +1

An unrelated "me too" to everyone who wishes that Bob was out instead of Jim. Maybe someday they'll be able to swap him to get Jim, EC or Susan back? A man can dream anyway.
Meanwhile, I'll continue to thank God for Jim & thank The Escapist for Yahtzee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Im sorry... i had to do it... dont hurt me.

Anyways... good luck and success on his way onwards. Even thought i havent agreed with jim for some time i did enjoy most of his stuff.

grimner:
that his purported business model might actually be the ost "this is about ethics in games journalism" thing I've seen since this shitstorm began.

It is, but all these people oh so concerned about it seems to be more concerned about bitching about how pro-corruption Jim is. Well, on the shithole that is Twitter anyways. They're mad at a system where he gets donations in exchange for reviews, cutting out all income from sources that make us question the validity of their opinions, but they're not throwing a bitch fit over people who reviewed Unity poorly not receiving review copies of Far Cry 4.

Johnny Novgorod:

hakkarin:
Why is he leaving in the first place?

In his Patreon page he says he's grown to dislike the "ad-supported model" of the "established outlets" of the "videogame media". Make of that what you will.

I'm not gonna miss him terribly, all I watched was Uncivil War and that was just for Yahtzee. Best of luck to him and all but my heart was already broken when Lisa left, and The Escapist staff didn't so much as acknowledge it. She just vanished. Poof. Now all we have left is Yahtzee's ZP and 50% Movie Bob stuff. And I can't stand Movie Bob. Beginning with his inappropriate name. He's Marvel Bob at this point. Or Clickbait Bob. Or Rumormonger Bob.

Gotta agree with you. I'm not ENTIRELY going to miss him but by the end of it he did raise some good points and at least I could listen to him talk for five minutes. Maybe it was something in his delivery but he seemed very enthusiastic.

MovieBob... eeeh. I used to like him because while not applicable to anything I enjoy ever at all, his reviews amused me and I AM curious about what he used to say but nowadays, he's all about Marvel and subjective reviews about movies that appeal to him on a political level. And I completely cannot STAND when he pulls the "I'm a geek, behold my tortured childhood/past/self/etc" BS in his Big Picture sometimes.

I don't even know what I'm doing here half the time. Zero Punctuation and some of the Critical Miss's are funny sometimes

Revnak:

What blacklistings? The one guy that keeps getting brought up specifically said he thinks Jim was a good guy who actually tried to help him. Everybody else are fucking complaining about being shutdown on private sites in individual cases because nobody has to give you a platform to say anything. I don't know, maybe you're talking about gamejournopros, which is only evidence of some vague form of collusion, which sounds like exactly the kind of thing Jim would not like.

The destructoid one, not sure of all the details but I am certain that a man was fired from destructoid and the games journos pros mailing list conspired to keep him out of the industry. If you want to look into it yourself this article might give you some pointers to the right direction.

Yeah, I think my compatriot was referring to the fact that Jim was a part of the mailing list and there for had the responsibility to expose this corruption, but in truth he's not that insane.
I have no idea what his direct involvement is and I don't want to point fingers without being sure.

Revnak:

But seriously, you're talking to a guy who just said capitalism is an inherently evil system, and you are saying that we should not, in fact, focus on the "MAN," (the bourgeoisie) and that the little guy (the proletariat) can be just as bad, and you're just going to expect me to accept that? And where the hell is that even happening here? I'm just seeing a bunch of rich white idiots slinging shit back and forth because somebody dared to question their stance on video games, that most holy of subjects. And people are losing their jobs over it.

>the bourgeoisie?
>Rich white idiots?
>little guy?
look son, let me tell you about my grandfather, he came to Jamaica a poor Indian man and died with several million dollars.
He kept a couple things clear, education and hard work does make people go far and now frankly there are less things in placed to keep people down then before.
That's why If I'm not mistaken Asians in NA making more gross income then most whites at this point. Whites have had their infrastructure here in the country they founded and built and these sorts of things happen. It isn't a conspiracy, a misgiving or even a problem.
The treatment of aboriginals however is a bit of a problem, but i think they've suffered enough imposition from outsiders for the time being, better to not impose western ideologies on them any more then we have and just find away to stabliz their standard of living.
Further more, I would be offended if you entered in while I was enjoying something I liked and started attacking it, not matter my ethnicity, sex, social disorder or if it was video games or not.
That's dumb, and rude.
For a lot of us, just choosing the games we want and enjoying them is enough, not matter our background. Others like myself have had games get us trough some pretty hard things, I might have actually killed myself if I didn't have gaming in my life way back when.
Question, further more serves little. Scott McCloud talked about it in his about comics series, the Creator comes first. People come second. You have to offer people an alternative to diversify the pool, people don't just demand one thing and rarely understand they could want something they never knew existed.
Create, don't complain.
Creating gets shit done son.
Also I'd argue that a lot of the people angry about this are rather poor , the people working dead end, minimum wage jobs and just want to play with a beer or something. that's often the impression i get coming out of the /v/irgins and more over the most common people to spent their time nonplussed about art is the common person. Not all are philistines, mind you me, but they don't have a lot time, or money to spend on that sort of thing and often not a lot of general happiness.
But that is my impression, I go to the chans for feel threads becuase I've been unable to feel lately, there are a lot of trans, women and what have you in gaming that are getting lambasted the Anti-GG side, never assume any one person is the vox-Populi though

Revnak:

I have to correct you here and I know it's pedantry but *ahem*.
CAPITALISM IS AN ECONOMIC SYSTEM, FASCISM IS TECHNICALLY A SYSTEM OF GOVERNANCE, JUST LIKE DEMOCRACY IS NOT COMPARABLE COMMUNISM. Sorry I've had to do that every time for communism and I should be doing that for Capitalism, and while I do not like unrestrained capitalism it does tend toward a meritocracy (at least in the early years).

Revnak:

Finally, what the hell is wrong with you people? Flipping your shit over one damn event. Letting the whole world revolve around your trivial "movement," acting like this is it, the main event. As if at any moment the heavens will divide and out Lord and Savior TotalBisucuit will do battle with the Anti-Gamer Literally Who, and that all those who bear her Tumblr mark will be thrown into the lake of faggotry and boredom, and he will take his chosen to the new Internet, where there will be streets paved with Steam sales and 40 waifus for each of you. And the sad fact is that I'm not even fucking kidding, there is almost certainly some random rant or picture depicting just that.

Sir, I may perhaps be a little miffed at this statement, corruption in all forms should be driven out, corruption is what leads to capitalism being the spiraling mess of pain and stupidity it is now.
That being said, not a lot people are as hardlined on this issue as I can be, especially within GG and it's not very polite to cast us with the same coat of paint.
Totalbiscuit is not some savoir, LW1-3 is not the adversary, we don't care about them. Hell If it was ZQ it would have been someone else. I can tell you with the uttermost confidence that this is a settling out of court thing with some really bad PR. When ZQ took down MundaneMatt's video on the post (one that was actually pretty even handed i must say)and when that thing was getting nuked down to 4chan people started believing it was really. When you try to tuck those sorts of things under the rug you turn heads, people wonder if it really is true. And then the articles on ending gamers came in, if they just defamed the people talking about the Quinnspracy as jerks and not the whole of gamers they would have actually had a foot to stand on in this whole thing.
But that's just my musings, I've been watching this for quite awhile.
>lake of faggotry and boredom.
You be speaking my language now anon.

Revnak:

Sure, complain about shit, get angry, voice your opinions, fight over stuff. Don't ignore problems. But don't make everything into some fucking Holy War. If you keep making enemies out of everybody who commits one fucking offense, you aren't going to find yourself a lot of friends.

It hurts, it really does. So many figure have decided to stand against us and it really saddens me (I might as well be a shill to GG anyway) but this event was linked to so many others and frankly this was a long time coming. But I know what I do should matter to me as gaming does, I want to see as clean of a gaming media as we can see. I want to see gaming loved, with artful discussions on the art itself and not this devolved half moral upchucking about this evil or that evil.
I want to see gaming grow in all fields and not be sucked dry be parasites, that spend their time shilling for corporations.
Just think of the people that have found games with high rating to be crap and just left because they thought gaming had nothing to offer. how many voices they've silenced, how many experiences they've stopped before it even started.
These people are cancer, topical cancer that sways with the wind leaning to where ever they smell the next dollar.
Cowards, cheats and the enemy of the working class.
Humans none the less.
I don't liek the idea of destroying another's life and while these people do have no qualms doing it I know WE need better.
Much better.
Honest souls.
Be a teacher Richard.
Be a teacher.

How does The Escapist keep losing people but they STILL haven't gotten rid of fucking Moviebob?

MarsAtlas:

grimner:

It is, but all these people oh so concerned about it seems to be more concerned about bitching about how pro-corruption Jim is. Well, on the shithole that is Twitter anyways. They're mad at a system where he gets donations in exchange for reviews, cutting out all income from sources that make us question the validity of their opinions, but they're not throwing a bitch fit over people who reviewed Unity poorly not receiving review copies of Far Cry 4.

Regarding Far Cry 4. so that's why TB and others have been missing out on review code? Wow, Ubisoft.

Anyway, this ethics double standard and goalpost shifting never ceases to baffle me. The blacklist of sites that are a nono for Gamergaters include, going by the list on the megathread, Eurogamer. Not because they're unethical, hell no, they actually denounced Lauren Wainwright and got threathened with legal action for it, and lost a writer, Rab Florence in the process. They also did update their ethics code as far back as 2012 to not disclose review conditions, and possible conflicts of interest, and have disclosed them long before this shitstorm. But because they wrote three op-eds, and one was about sexism and the other about Zoe (not that this is about her, no siree), they are somehow targeted, regardless.

The only people who pull me to this site was Shamus Young, Yahtzee (Zero + Extra Punctuation) and Jim Sterling (Mostly for his reviews, but also his show) People seem to be dropping like flies, LRR mostly gone, extra credits gone, if Yahtzee went i would really struggle to find reasons to come here. Would this site survive without Yahtzee?

TO: Fans of Jim Sterling
SUBJECT: Jim

YOU'RE WELCOME.

It was in my inbox when I got back home.

That said, there seems to be alot of blood on the floor from the site doing damage to itself. I didn't agree with or, in fact, watch everything Jim had to say, but it was worth looking into if it seemed relevant to me or at least entertaining.

Later, guy.

Barbas:

Vault101:

Jeez, SOB is a bit harsh. XD .

I meant it as an abbreviation "sob" as in "sobbing" as in I'm crying for the loss of Jim

I would only call Jim a "son of a bitch" in endearment :)

Well, I'm glad that Jim will continue his videos and reviews, even after leaving The Escapist, but I really wish he'd take it easy on PepsiCo. I recently got talked into buying some of their stock and trying to profit from their jump into emerging markets. Apparently, the middle classes of India and China have gotten rich enough that they don't need their pancreases any more. Stop making posts like this, Jim.

cleric of the order:

Revnak:

The destructoid one, not sure of all the details but I am certain that a man was fired from destructoid and the games journos pros mailing list conspired to keep him out of the industry. If you want to look into it yourself this article might give you some pointers to the right direction.

Yeah, I think my compatriot was referring to the fact that Jim was a part of the mailing list and there for had the responsibility to expose this corruption, but in truth he's not that insane.
I have no idea what his direct involvement is and I don't want to point fingers without being sure.

That's the one I mentioned. He wasn't involved, and the blacklisted fellow said that Jim is in no way to blame.

Revnak:

>the bourgeoisie?
>Rich white idiots?
>little guy?
look son, let me tell you about my grandfather, he came to Jamaica a poor Indian man and died with several million dollars.
He kept a couple things clear, education and hard work does make people go far and now frankly there are less things in placed to keep people down then before.
That's why If I'm not mistaken Asians in NA making more gross income then most whites at this point. Whites have had their infrastructure here in the country they founded and built and these sorts of things happen. It isn't a conspiracy, a misgiving or even a problem.
The treatment of aboriginals however is a bit of a problem, but i think they've suffered enough imposition from outsiders for the time being, better to not impose western ideologies on them any more then we have and just find away to stabliz their standard of living.
Further more, I would be offended if you entered in while I was enjoying something I liked and started attacking it, not matter my ethnicity, sex, social disorder or if it was video games or not.
That's dumb, and rude.
For a lot of us, just choosing the games we want and enjoying them is enough, not matter our background. Others like myself have had games get us trough some pretty hard things, I might have actually killed myself if I didn't have gaming in my life way back when.
Question, further more serves little. Scott McCloud talked about it in his about comics series, the Creator comes first. People come second. You have to offer people an alternative to diversify the pool, people don't just demand one thing and rarely understand they could want something they never knew existed.
Create, don't complain.
Creating gets shit done son.
Also I'd argue that a lot of the people angry about this are rather poor , the people working dead end, minimum wage jobs and just want to play with a beer or something. that's often the impression i get coming out of the /v/irgins and more over the most common people to spent their time nonplussed about art is the common person. Not all are philistines, mind you me, but they don't have a lot time, or money to spend on that sort of thing and often not a lot of general happiness.
But that is my impression, I go to the chans for feel threads becuase I've been unable to feel lately, there are a lot of trans, women and what have you in gaming that are getting lambasted the Anti-GG side, never assume any one person is the vox-Populi though

Yes, and my Grandfather came to America with nothing and wound up working on Rockets. Good for him. Doesn't happen to most people, I know because I lived in a town full of most people. Most people do not have an equal opportunity, most people do not have a chance, most people cannot reach the same heights as the few that do reach them, and capitalism relies on this. I would rather not.

I like games, and I accept that the fact that they can help people deal with stress is a good thing. I'm just putting things into context. They're ultimately still just games. They are not what most strongly defines us, or what most strongly divides us.

Bullshit. If nobody criticized art there would be no great art. If Scott McCloud ever actually meant that, then he is a coward.

Yeah, I know that many who are complaining here are poor, on both sides. I just didn't like that he was framing this as the little guys abusing the big guys. Also, I do think a lot of the nonsense is rooted in the economic class of those who are arguing, all of them acting like they are the biggest victims in the world despite their total financial security. Rich folk get to complain more about less. I'd know.

Revnak:

I have to correct you here and I know it's pedantry but *ahem*.
CAPITALISM IS AN ECONOMIC SYSTEM, FASCISM IS TECHNICALLY A SYSTEM OF GOVERNANCE, JUST LIKE DEMOCRACY IS NOT COMPARABLE COMMUNISM. Sorry I've had to do that every time for communism and I should be doing that for Capitalism, and while I do not like unrestrained capitalism it does tend toward a meritocracy (at least in the early years).

Yeah, but my point was that any system can be good or bad based on your arguments about them. Systems aren't just neutral.

Revnak:

Sir, I may perhaps be a little miffed at this statement, corruption in all forms should be driven out, corruption is what leads to capitalism being the spiraling mess of pain and stupidity it is now.
That being said, not a lot people are as hardlined on this issue as I can be, especially within GG and it's not very polite to cast us with the same coat of paint.
Totalbiscuit is not some savoir, LW1-3 is not the adversary, we don't care about them. Hell If it was ZQ it would have been someone else. I can tell you with the uttermost confidence that this is a settling out of court thing with some really bad PR. When ZQ took down MundaneMatt's video on the post (one that was actually pretty even handed i must say)and when that thing was getting nuked down to 4chan people started believing it was really. When you try to tuck those sorts of things under the rug you turn heads, people wonder if it really is true. And then the articles on ending gamers came in, if they just defamed the people talking about the Quinnspracy as jerks and not the whole of gamers they would have actually had a foot to stand on in this whole thing.
But that's just my musings, I've been watching this for quite awhile.
>lake of faggotry and boredom.
You be speaking my language now anon.

I think I can mostly agree here, but it should be noted that much of the moderator response to the Quinn stuff was out of fear that people were going to do illegal shit. Never stopped threads in the past, so I can see it as kinda being an overreaction, but at least they had a reason. I really wish they hadn't shut down their threads because then all the cancerous bullshit would have stayed there rather than having come here. Never watched MundaneMatt's video though. Mostly because I hate most controversy YouTubers.

My issue is not with the idea of GamerGate, it is with the people who actually see this as some kind of righteous, glorious war for the sake of gaming's soul. They bother me. On both sides.

And I have never channed. I just like the word faggot far too much for somebody who is as progressive as I am, and I have a hard time finding a good public context to use it.

Revnak:

It hurts, it really does. So many figure have decided to stand against us and it really saddens me (I might as well be a shill to GG anyway) but this event was linked to so many others and frankly this was a long time coming. But I know what I do should matter to me as gaming does, I want to see as clean of a gaming media as we can see. I want to see gaming loved, with artful discussions on the art itself and not this devolved half moral upchucking about this evil or that evil.
I want to see gaming grow in all fields and not be sucked dry be parasites, that spend their time shilling for corporations.
Just think of the people that have found games with high rating to be crap and just left because they thought gaming had nothing to offer. how many voices they've silenced, how many experiences they've stopped before it even started.
These people are cancer, topical cancer that sways with the wind leaning to where ever they smell the next dollar.
Cowards, cheats and the enemy of the working class.
Humans none the less.
I don't liek the idea of destroying another's life and while these people do have no qualms doing it I know WE need better.
Much better.
Honest souls.
Be a teacher Richard.
Be a teacher.

Aside from the dismissal of criticism of games on some moral ground (which is fine as long as it remains criticism and nothing more), I think this is all pretty agreeable. I really like it when I find people who don't want this to be a battle, just an effort for change. That is what we need more of. Everywhere.

MarsAtlas:
but they're not throwing a bitch fit over people who reviewed Unity poorly not receiving review copies of Far Cry 4.

This whole goalpost moving is amusing, but, ultimately pointless.

What exactly are you expecting people to do here?

Stop buying Ubisoft games? I haven't bought one since AC2.

Pressure Ubisoft to change their policies? They already did.

Discuss Review embargo? Already done. It's a one-sided debate. Nobody likes them when they're like this.

Harass people at Ubisoft? People in Gamergate do not condone harassment.

So, really, what are you expecting from people here?

Just to be generically angry?

People shove money down anybodys gullet nowadays and seeing how a Miss Sarkesian can live of the fat of the land, I don't see how a Jim Sterling, God bless his mighty caloric requirements, could not do equaly well or better.
At least he has plenty of work and an actual resume to show for it.

He might not have been the pinacle of integrity in every instance, but he who is without fault...

I think he is an asset to games journalism and I wish him and his project the best of luck in the future.

Barbas:

Only when it's popular content/people, well documented on social media and in the middle of a giant shit storm. :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here