Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

Pages PREV 1 2

Gizen:
Hell, the fusion suit as a whole didn't really appeal to me. I appreciate the attempt to do something different with her design but I just felt like the fusion suit specifically was such an ugly design.

I'm a bit more generous towards the Fusion Suit. I wouldn't want it to be Samus's de facto suit, but I feel it suits its game well - new look, sense of comparative vulnerability (since there's far less armour on the thing), etc.

Gizen:

That said, I do feel like you can do a Metroidvania style setting with predominantly human enemies. Afterall, the setting of Fusion was a human built space station. Just like, swap out some of the aliens for human-controlled/piloted mechs, replace generic space pirates with generic GFed, keep some of the lesser aliens as pests or vermin who've infested some regions of the area, and bam you're good to go.

I'd be onboard with that if the time could be taken for Samus to reflect that she's still killing fellow human beings,* not to mention that she was part of the Federation Police. Unfortunately, the idea of Samus giving introspection doesn't seem to go down well post-Other M, and even Fusion cops flak for her retrospectives. If Samus is to go up against the Federation, I'd rather that be done justice, than have her be portrayed as completely amoral.

*And other aliens...or something. Seriously, am I the only one perturbed how the Federation seems to be the "humans only club," despite early manual art and the manga establishing that multiple species are (or were) part of the Federation? Heck, even Other M appears to have shifted Federation HQ from Daiban to Earth.

Cowabungaa:

You hit the nail on the head there; that's really hard. I mean, I suppose I'm not against it if you put it like you do. Fleeting encounters as it were, to maybe even bring home the feeling of isolation even more.

Gizen:
Point is, I'd like to see more characters than just Samus but striking that balance of having an actual cast while maintaining a sense of isolation is hard.

-BioShock
-Dead Space
-Diablo
-Doom 3
-Fallout 3
-Halo 3: ODST
-Resident Evil 1/REmake
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
-Resident Evil Zero
-Resident Evil Code: Veronica

That's just a list of games I've played off the top of my head that have strong senses of isolation while also maintaining dialogue/characters, even if said dialogue/characters isn't always the greatest. It might be hard, but it's been done a lot. I might argue that dialogue/characters can help a sense of isolation because it gives you a sense of contrast between being on one's lonesome, and engaging in human contact. Even the buddy system of RE Zero maintained the isolation feel.

Veldie:

Hawki:

ccggenius12:
Now all they need to do is announce a New F-Zero, and I'll blindly purchase whatever horrible device they tell me to.

I see your F-Zero and raise you Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and a proper (key word: proper) Star Fox game.

*takes out wallet and throws all his money at screen* GIVE ME A NEW ADVANCE WARS

Advance wars has done all it can in terms of gameplay as is. IS would have to do what they did with DoR and remake a whole new gameplay sytem around the CO's. I mean they COULD make something new but I doubt it would be on par or better than in the past games.

As for GS, Dark Dawn was ok but felt lackluster compared to the first 2. Plus there was the whole DD undersold and 'may' get its 4th game only if its to get more Switch sales.

InflatableHippo:

Veldie:

Hawki:

I see your F-Zero and raise you Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and a proper (key word: proper) Star Fox game.

*takes out wallet and throws all his money at screen* GIVE ME A NEW ADVANCE WARS

Advance wars has done all it can in terms of gameplay as is. IS would have to do what they did with DoR and remake a whole new gameplay sytem around the CO's. I mean they COULD make something new but I doubt it would be on par or better than in the past games.

As for GS, Dark Dawn was ok but felt lackluster compared to the first 2. Plus there was the whole DD undersold and 'may' get its 4th game only if its to get more Switch sales.

Okay, how about Battalion Wars 3? Eh? Eh?....I'll see myself out.

Words cannot describe how into this I am (as well as the remake of Metroid II for 3DS). The first Prime is my all time favourite game.

I hope this is what the endings of Prime 3 and Federation Force were hinting at.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here