Did you find this helpful?
Yes
48.8% (1202)
48.8% (1202)
No
3.7% (91)
3.7% (91)
Never put up irrelevant options, it's stupid and means that you won't get the results you created the poll for.
45.6% (1123)
45.6% (1123)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 24 NEXT

Lord Krunk:

Hey, welcome back!

I'm absolutely fine with you using it for the Community Thread, and as for the question on its usefulness... well, it'll attract more attention tho the thread. More attention means that less people should get banned/probed, and (ahem) I get the Forum Inferno badge quicker.

Hehehehe...

Anyways, back to the important stuff. Great to see you again!

Ha ha! Oh I see, there's an alterior motive behind it? Badge hunting! Tsk tsk! Lol, no, what you've done here is fantastic and I congratulate you on firstly writing it, and secondly being thanked for it/having it stickied. That's an excellent acheivment and you should be proud of what you've accomplished.

It's good to see you too! I'm going in for a major overhaul of the community thread sometime later this week, so I'll make sure I add it then. Should be good fun!

Lord Krunk:
Please note that once you receive any form of moderator wrath, then these badges will be unavailable to you. Harsh, but fair.

Also note that having a thread of yours locked does not result in your inability to receive the badges.

Hey Krunk,

I was wondering if you could add the fact that warnings don't affect your chances to get the badges either to this point, as there have been users who haven't realised this until after recieving one or even after recieving one and needing it explained to them, since people just think of it as another form of mod wrath.

EDIT:

Inverse Skies:
Oh I see, there's an alterior motive behind it? Badge hunting! Tsk tsk!

I would agree with you here, but seeing as I'm the administrator of a... certain user group, it would be rather hypocritical of me.

Portal Maniac; Oh man, 10,000 posts?
Is their an ultimate badge of ultimatness for that haha :D

SadisticDarkling:
Portal Maniac; Oh man, 10,000 posts?
Is their an ultimate badge of ultimatness for that haha :D

No, actually.
It ends at 5,000 posts of no moderator wrath, which I do happen to have though.
The only reward for reaching 10,000 posts is getting this nifty title.

Berethond:
And thank you. I still haven't had so much as a probation!

I can totally fix that for you.

Hi Inverse!

Labyrinth:

Berethond:
And thank you. I still haven't had so much as a probation!

I can totally fix that for you.

You could, but I'm pretty sure it would lead the staff to fix you.
Besides, there's no way you could pull it off with the class of "Barrel-O'-Laughs".

Kuliani:
*Snip*

On a somewhat related note, now that tendo82 has lost his yellow name, methinks he ought to be removed from the official posting guidelines for the sake of not confusing new members.

Diagonal Horizontality:

Kuliani:
*Snip*

On a somewhat related note, now that tendo82 has lost his yellow name, methinks he ought to be removed from the official posting guidelines for the sake of not confusing new members.

Thanks, done.

I thought this was very informative. Thank you for posting.

Speaking as a new escapee I found this to be very helpful. I wondered why Escapist seemed to be a bit more well oiled than other forums with the clutter of every other thread involving sexual vulgarity about Megan Fox usually. Great post and very helpful!

How do I get rid of badges? I hate them, they look rather ugly for me, and they seem fairly pointless. If you could please tell me how I can not have badges displayed on my profile and every post I make, I would be greatful.

SilentScope001:
How do I get rid of badges? I hate them, they look rather ugly for me, and they seem fairly pointless. If you could please tell me how I can not have badges displayed on my profile and every post I make, I would be greatful.

Go to your profile and hit "Forum Signature and Options"
You can turn them off their.

Berethond:

SilentScope001:

A bit of clarification:
I think that just hides badges from your UI. There's no feature hide your badges from other people who have them turned on.

-- Alex

Alex_P:

Berethond:

SilentScope001:

A bit of clarification:
I think that just hides badges from your UI. There's no feature hide your badges from other people who have them turned on.

-- Alex

That's true. I can see Fire Daemon and Labyrinth's badges when, as they have stated at times, they have the feature turned off.

Inverse Skies:

Ha ha! Oh I see, there's an alterior motive behind it? Badge hunting! Tsk tsk!

Zombie_Fish:

Inverse Skies:
Oh I see, there's an alterior motive behind it? Badge hunting! Tsk tsk!

I would agree with you here, but seeing as I'm the administrator of a... certain user group, it would be rather hypocritical of me.

Nah, I was just joking. I really created the thread just to help a friend out; it didn't have any other motive. But what it has done is open up a means to attain these badges where all my other threads haven't lasted beyond 3 pages.

But really, it doesn't matter to me all that much. But thanks for the compliment
Inverse. Your meta-thread ain't too shabby either; I really don't know why you haven't been Thanked yet.

Zombie_Fish:
Also note that having a thread of yours locked does not result in your inability to receive the badges.

Hey Krunk,

I was wondering if you could add the fact that warnings don't affect your chances to get the badges either to this point, as there have been users who haven't realised this until after recieving one or even after recieving one and needing it explained to them, since people just think of it as another form of mod wrath.[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply, I was on a holiday to L.A. for the past couple of weeks, and I've only just gotten back. That said, I'll look into it.

After I've finished recovering from the flight.

And by 'recovering', I mean 'Playing TF2 until my fingers bleed'.

Lord Krunk:

But really, it doesn't matter to me all that much. But thanks for the compliment
Inverse. Your meta-thread ain't too shabby either; I really don't know why you haven't been Thanked yet.

Nah, I don't deserve to be thanked for that. I'm just touched whenever anyone says they use it or find it useful, that means quite a lot to me actually, more than I think some people realise. It was like when Nuke said I made good threads, I was touched by that. I don't I do to be honest, so compliments like that are very moving.

Lord Krunk:
Big snip is big.

I was just talking about badge hunting in general, not this thread. But, as I said, certain user groups stop me from being allowed to frown upon it. Especially since Nivag gives us the title of 'Hunter' when we're admins in that group.

I can tell that you have just gotten back from LA, though, as you appear to have mis-quoted me :P But just get on it whenever possible, after 'recovering'.

As for Inverse not being thanked, a post actually made by you in the badges thread sums it up quite well:

Lord Krunk:

xitel:
The Thanks badge is pretty self-explanatory.

That's my problem. A lot of people with these badges, I can't understand why. If people were genuinely 'earning' it, Anarchemitis, NewClassic, Labyrinth, Ultrajoe and a few more than that would have said badge.More and more are appearing, and for seemingly no reason. That's what I want explained.

I personally think Nomad should have the badge for the thread of his that's now stickied. But hey, editor's choice, I guess.

Hmm, I just noticed NoMoreSanity got banned. What for?

EDIT: Post 4949. Makes me smile, I don't know why.

Lord Krunk:

UltraJoe left a note on Sanity's last post, but the thread seems to have been deleted. If I recall correctly, it was along the lines of "This user has acted maliciously towards others on numerous occasions and had been given more chances than was fair, or even sane. He made it clear that he wasn't going to change his ways, so he has been banned." That's a slightly abridged version of what Ultra wrote, as I seem largely unable to recall the exact wording. Sanity wasn't actually banned for that specific post, though.

Diagonal Horizontality:
Sanity wasn't actually banned for that specific post, though.

Indeed, it was at first a suspension, then became a ban.

Diagonal Horizontality:

Lord Krunk:

UltraJoe left a note on Sanity's last post, but the thread seems to have been deleted. If I recall correctly, it was along the lines of "This user has acted maliciously towards others on numerous occasions and had been given more chances than was fair, or even sane. He made it clear that he wasn't going to change his ways, so he has been banned." That's a slightly abridged version of what Ultra wrote, as I seem largely unable to recall the exact wording. Sanity wasn't actually banned for that specific post, though.

Oh, okay. I noticed his forum attitude suddenly changed after he got Neo, but I didn't think it went that far.

Lord Krunk:
Oh, okay. I noticed his forum attitude suddenly changed after he got Neo, but I didn't think it went that far.

I noticed that as well. He got a probation almost straight after he got the badge, round about 5800 posts. He also himself admitted at one point to having 'numerous threads locked, pissed off more than half the mods, 2/3 probations, 3 suspensions and several warnings', though this was back in September and he probably got a few more following that. Bit ironic for someone who went over 5000 posts without anything as severe as a probation.

Knight Templar:
Indeed, it was at first a suspension, then became a ban.

He was on probation before being suspended as well. Can't remember what for, though, but it was for several days.

Lord Krunk:

He pretty much asked for it. I did what little I could to urge him towards rationality, but he remained intransigent.
To quote Knights of the Old Republic:
"It seems everyone is responsible for your actions except you."
-Carth Onasi

Also, to quote Wilson:
"This is not the right place to talk about user specific moderation."
So let's just leave the matter at that.

Diagonal Horizontality:
Also, to quote Wilson:
"This is not the right place to talk about user specific moderation."
So let's just leave the matter at that.

Fair enough.

Lukeje:
Pretty interesting, but the actual "User was banned for" is made using [small][/small] tags,
i.e. User was banned for this post.

NoMoreSanity:
Very helpful, thanks!

Oh lord the irony.

op. I wish i had read the thread before i got my tier 2 wrath. Stupid ZP...

I'll take this as fair warning--thanks for the clarification.

Does anybody think that an amendment on misleading thread titles would be helpful? Not that I think it is a huge problem, but it can be rather annoying. There's no reason to mislead people for the sake of a good discussion.

chronobreak:
Does anybody think that an amendment on misleading thread titles would be helpful? Not that I think it is a huge problem, but it can be rather annoying. There's no reason to mislead people for the sake of a good discussion.

I think that that may be a good idea..

User was banned for: talking too much. (Permanent)

thebobmaster:

chronobreak:

Damn, you got me. Good job though.

As for the amendment, I completely agree with you. I'll get on to it.

Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Should suspended members be able to post PMs?

Wasder:

If what you're asking is if they are able to send them, then the answer is yes.

I would know, as I sent a good 100 during those three long, boring days here.

Wasder:

As Portal said, it is possible to do so.

The reasoning behind users being allowed to send them is that if they do start insulting you or breaking the rules in any other way, you can report the user, forward the PMs to a mod or you can now just add the user to your ignore list, which will make that user's PMs not come through to your inbox. The user's suspension may even be lengthened because of the PMs they have sent you. You can't send PMs after being banned, though.

thebobmaster:

chronobreak:

I disagree. Why? Because it could make you find your favorite thread.

I'm all for keeping a forum of conversation civil, and accept that requires some moderation. However I notice that there are some asshats that carry on despite their behaviour. However, silly "first post" comments are punished with the swiftness. Everything I read concerning moderator warnings/etc say that the report button is under-used, and we the people shouldn't be afraid to use it on people that are making these forums a less than enjoyable place.

I'd like to site an example. First, the rule by which I was going by.

There it is. Being overly offensive is a no-nooo. Now, the conversation; A forum poster came in depressed as all hell. He was worried he may do something that may hurt himself, because his relationship with his girl ended badly. I've been there, and it's a time that requires as much positive energy as can be given to help heal faster.

I reported his original post every time he replied to me. Apperently, this is either not a violation of forum etiquette, or mods don't care. :( I know I was offended reading his post, and string of replies. The impact on the guy that he was originally replying to was probably tremendously negative.

Thoughts?

[edit] It's kinda hard to read his original post, so I'm putting it at the top of the conversation line.

Firia:
I reported his original post every time he replied to me. Apperently, this is either not a violation of forum etiquette, or mods don't care. :( I know I was offended reading his post, and string of replies. The impact on the guy that he was originally replying to was probably tremendously negative.

Thoughts?

It takes two separate users pressing the report button for a post to appear on the moderation queue, so it's quite possible that no one else reported and the moderators didn't see it. That said, this really isn't the best place to discuss user specific moderation and your questions would be better asked via PM to one of the Red Guards.

Max got banned :'(

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or