What games are you playing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Started playing Killzone: Shadow Fall yesterday, and am on the sixth chapter now. Probably the best looking launch title I've ever seen, and it plays better than the ones before it. They pretty much found the perfect balance between weight and responsiveness IMO, settling somewhere between 2 & 3. I also like the added tactical options with the OWL. Some sections are slower but I don't mind the variety as it makes the campaign feel more fleshed out. It's also wonderfully immersive playing without the HUD or crosshair, but it makes the section where you have to mark targets difficult to gauge.

I also like the adrenaline system as a "second chance" when shot down because it's limited to a tangible resource you collect and is also used in conjunction with the OWL. The effect is similar to MP3's last man standing but you can also move, so it makes for some pretty satisfying comeback scenarios.

Playing Pokemon Volt White 2

Finally beat the final boss of Rouge Legacy.

Canadamus Prime:
Sonic Mania - It's fun, but like a lot of Sonic games the Special Stages are infuriating. Also the last zone is pissing me off.

I really don't understand this. I mean, maybe it's not entirely fair of me to say because I've played every Sonic game so I'm used to them, but I found the game really ridiculously easy compared to other Sonic games, which let's face it, weren't that hard anyway.

The last level was not hard at all. I mean, how many lives did you lose, really? I bet it wasn't that many.

The special stages are possibly the easiest in Sonic history as well. You aren't meant to get them on your first attempt, but it doesn't take very much practice at all to learn how to do them.

Some gamers are so impatient these days (I'm not necessarily saying you) and expect just to be able to run through games without hitting any road blocks at all. Where's the challenge in that?

dscross:

Canadamus Prime:
Sonic Mania - It's fun, but like a lot of Sonic games the Special Stages are infuriating. Also the last zone is pissing me off.

I really don't understand this. I mean, maybe it's not entirely fair of me to say because I've played every Sonic game so I'm used to them, but I found the game really ridiculously easy compared to other Sonic games, which let's face it, weren't that hard anyway.

The last level was not hard at all. I mean, how many lives did you lose, really? I bet it wasn't that many.

The special stages are possibly the easiest in Sonic history as well. You aren't meant to get them on your first attempt, but it doesn't take very much practice at all to learn how to do them.

Some gamers are so impatient these days (I'm not necessarily saying you) and expect just to be able to run through games without hitting any road blocks at all. Where's the challenge in that?

My biggest frustration with the final level was that it was so long and arduous. I've beaten it now, but it took me a bit to figure out that, when battling Eggman, you don't have to beat the robots he warps you to; you just have to avoid them for a few seconds.

As for the special stages, I suppose they're easier than Sonic 2's or Sonic Heroes. I just get impatient with them.

Finished Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony 2 days ago......the conclusion was interesting....

Started today The Evil Within today, I get very easiy frustrated with the well-known boxes. However I will admit I am very curious to learn what kind of conclusion will have.

Path of Exile, and Destiny 2.

Well, I will be damn.
The Evil Within is a piece of shit.
It looked so promising, but it not hold a candle even to Resident Evil 6, which it was mediocre.

Having a powerful graphic card...it freeze like shit.
The ammo are few and you must be careful every time you use them.
Stealth approach is total bullshit. No point doing it.
The last straw was the stupidity of the game: I was in a stable witha chain big guy and in front of him an awesome chainsaw. Trying to pick it up. I COULDN'T DO IT. I LET FREE THE GUY AND PICK THE CHAINSAW, KILL HIM AFTER A LOT OF TROUBLE, THEN AT LAST I PICK IT UP......for what do you think?
FOR CUTTING A CHAIN AND LEAVE IT AFTER THAT
HOLY SHIT
Shit shit shi t sgot sgir sifjdj sbit shit sgitsbjfj ufjvj

Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's a breath of fresh air after the last two games played seemed to have glitch-saved me from progressing. Metro: Last Light in a rather hilarious fashion where all enemies became paralyzed from the neck down as soon as they loaded in, so thinking I should see how far it would let me go on, I ventured through a cavern of multiple paralysed monsters as scary action music played to my baffled, yet relieved self, then made it to what appeared to be a boss fight where some beasty dragged me into a pit during a cutscene, but stood frozen in head-twitching defiance as soon as I was expected to do the dirty work.
Oh and they don't die either. Important detail, that. Game saved me in the pit with an unkillable tetraplegic boss, the bastard.

Anyway, HZD is lovely in so many ways. Can't say much that hasn't been said already. Other than maybe it is too good. I don't deserve it. The world is so intricately designed and enticing it might be a long time before anything else will feel this great to lose myself in. The developers have put a lot of work into crafting many layers of a wonderful, intriguing world...good job, humans!

*Sigh* Just a few hours more self-flagellation it is then.

Evil Within 2 didn't fix any of the major issues from the previous game. Including unskippable cutscenes interrupting me while the action continues. The more emphasized stealth is braindead, the open world is a mixed bag and the two bosses I've fought so far were terrible easy. With the first, I just ran in a circle, around this fountain, firing everything I had. Afterwards, I explored the area and realized that they wanted me to use all kinds of environmental objects and traps to kill her. Pointless. There was plenty of ammo too, so I didn't waste anything by doing this. This game is dumb. So far, the first was better. A lot better. This even feels less like a nightmare. It's very much like with what happened to Resident Evil after Mikami left. The other people don't know what they're doing.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole. Its alright, its fun for the most part. I think I am pretty close to the end after about 20+ hours and I can't say I haven't had fun with it. The story is typically bananas and most of the cutscenes have made me laugh. But the combat that started out as being quite fun, really tedious really quickly. I don't remember dreading going into combat in The Stick of Truth, but I do in this. Outside of story missions, it really isn't fun when you are trying to get somewhere. The upgrade system seems pointless too, you basically get all the upgrade slots at about level 10 and then keep going up in levels for another 10 levels. There really seems to be no point.

Edit: Wow, that was anti climactic. It just ends...not wanting to go on about Stick of Truth, but at least that felt like a proper ending. This is quite possibly the most disappointing ending in a game for a good few years. And to make matters worse, it leaves it hanging for a sequel or more likely dlc. And it got delayed several times for this.

Probably going to start Undertale next. Or wait until the Horizon: Zero Dawn dlc to come out.

Finished Killzone: Shadow Fall's campaign last night on Hard. There were a few challenging sections but nowhere near KZ2's level. The OWL made things pretty easy. Apparently there is an Elite SP difficulty included with the Insurgent dlc co-op pack that limits you to three deaths, but I'm holding off on it. Will probably try the MP to see how it is.

Anyways, some pro's and con's -

+ Game is drop dead gorgeous, launch title or not. Volumetric lighting looks amazing as it pours through different openings, and texture quality really pops.

+ Great sounding. The Madder system is subtle but natural sounding, and there is a cool dualistic nature to the score depending on what territory you're in.

+ Plays very smoothly. Cover used to be very deliberate but here there really isn't even a system for it. Everything just kind of blends depending on your surroundings. If you're up against something waist high you don't feel a pull or press a button to stick, but you can still manually crouch and shoot over it like it was designed for that purpose.

+ Animation was mostly good, next to the standards the series is known for. Apparently it's procedural now, but often appeared to need more iterating. I don't recall seeing this level of stuff in the game
Still some of the best looking reloads as well.

+ Practically the whole game seemed to be kept in first person, invoking a Half-Life feel. Nothing really felt interrupted.

+ Interesting tactical options to spice up fights using the OWL drone.

+ Adrenaline makes for some very satisfying finishers, and being limited to pick-ups makes its useage strategical.

+ Worthwhile smattering of collectibles to hunt for.

+ Wide variety of locale. Going back to Helghan was both awe-inspiring and tragic.

- Campaign lack drive and intensity for the most part. Too many slow, meandering sections hurt pacing.

- Not enough set piece battles like previous entries.

- Some trial and error sequences that weren't even shooter-based lead mostly to frustration. The free fall and guiding the container were particularly grating.

- No vehicle gameplay. At most you get into an exo dropship but only to use a turret, and an uncontrolled intro in a spacecraft.

- Not sure if glitched or intentional, but every now and then I'd get kicked out of ADS. At first I thought it was from using Hold vs Toggle, but it happened in each. Maybe it was from getting hit too much or moving a certain way, but it could be slightly disorienting during a pitched fight.

- Story was ultimately flat. There were hints of something better than the typical shooter fare, but was never capitalized upon. It's a shame since there is so much lore that could be used, but for whatever reason the bulk is never explored in the actual games. Maybe someday it'll carry some legitimate, respectable weight, especially after Horizon which was a step in the right direction.

Is anyone getting Nioh on PC today?

Replaying The Evil Within. I wonder, has anybody ever gotten these three trophies in a single game?

1) Beat the game in Akumu mode (one-hit death)
2) Under 5 hours
3) And without upgrading a single weapon or ability in the whole game (no chair, no green gel)

That's a hat-trick if I ever saw one. Can it even be done?

I'm back to playing WoW after 4+ years off. I was looking for a new MMO, so after some diligent research, I tried Guild Wars 2. I got my toon to level 72 (of 80), before ultimately deciding that, although there are some differences here and there, it's basically WoW, except significantly shittier in most aspects. Shittier graphics. Shitty loot boxes. Shittier combat. And an even shittier story, which is saying a lot, because WoW's storyline is typically all over the place.

Ultimately, the deciding factor was that I didn't like the combat. The rotation in which everyone has to weapon swap constantly throughout fights just seems potato to me. So you're going to fight something. You have a big 2-handed sword. You whack whack whack with that for a bit, and then you, uh, do the sensible thing of course, you pull out your axe and mace and whack on them with that for a bit, before switching to the 2h sword again, repeat. And it's required to fight like that if you want to maximize DPS. It's just a dumb combat system, IMO.

The graphics were a significant factor, too. The fur on my Charr looked painted on, and so did much of the armor. It bugged me.

I guess as MMO's go, nothing can compare to WoW because of the ridiculous amount of money they have to pump into their games for all the bells and whistles and polish and absence of loot boxes and crap.

Think about it. 5-10M subscribers on average? At $15/month. That's $75,000,000-$150,000,000 per month from fees. Or $900 million to $1.8 billion a year. Then add in the $60 cost of an expansion every 2 years. That's another $600 million. So on average, $1 - $2 billion in revenue per year, for a single video game. Blizzard is a monster.

Ezekiel:
Is anyone getting Nioh on PC today?

I got it. It's awesome. Nioh is once again an obession for me for the second time this year.

Just picked up the free Watchdogs offer from uplay (Get it here if you're interested)https://freetrial.ubisoft.com/promotions/watch-dogs-1/8/

It's pretty much "Open World: The Game" but I'm having a bunch of fun with it regardless. Even after the downgrade I think it looks great. It also plays pretty well and the hacking is a fun gameplay element to muck around with. Overall, I don't think it's nearly as bad as the internet made it out to be lol. At the very least it's worth the price of admission :D

Bury Me, My Love

It's an iOS title by Pixel Hunt that tells the story of Nour, a Syrian refugee trying to make her way safely to Europe. It's a text-based simulation game that is conducted via text message -- you get notifications and everything! You are Madj, her lover, and you're still in Syria while she's headed to safety. It's a mix of choosing what to say to her at pivotal moments (you can even send emojis) and helping her make decisions. A nice added feature is that you have a map that gives you facts/data about places as Nour travels through them.

I didn't think I'd enjoy the game as much as I do, and it really does start to feel like a text message conversation. More so, a text message conversation with a loved one. I found myself worrying about her if she went too long without texting, and getting excited when she'd update me on her trip's status. If you do decide to pick it up, I encourage you to play it in real-time. There's an option to speed up the texts from Nour so you can rush through the game, but it does take away from the experience.

After not playing WoW for 4+ years, so far my only complaint is that man, leveling has gotten stupidly easy. Not that it was ever hard, but you at least had to pay attention a little, and it was good for practicing and learning your skill rotations, developing muscle memory for your keybinds. Now mobs die so quickly in 1-2 hits, that I can't even get through half a rotation of my skills. I'm literally tempted to just run through mobs pressing one button over and over (Whirlwind in my case)... I think it would be more efficient that actually trying to learn to play my class.

I ran a 5-man dungeon last night, and I was literally chasing the tank trying to get a hit on the mobs before he killed them all solo in seconds.

Oh well, hopefully endgame will be better. It sucks because leveling used to be kinda fun. Now I just want to get it overwith as fast as possible because the gameplay is really boring.

Worms.

It's quite strange and disarming to hear this lady's voice as a game announcer (from The IT crowd, Katherine Parkinson).

Replaying Uncharted 2 on Crushing for the Platinum. Coming back from UC3 I thought I would miss the ability to throw back grenades but turns out the blast radius on UC2 is so small you only have to budge a little to avoid damage. Guess they widened the radius when they decided to make grenades re-throwable, as a compromise. The shotgun feels weirdly overpowered by comparison as well.

Started Nioh.

First off, I skipped the opening cutscenes, which has become painfully common. I just wanna play the game. Most of these stories suck anyway.

Was easy at first. Then I kept dying to the bigger guards of the English prison. I ran past all the enemies back to where I was repeatedly. The enemies seem worse at following you than Dark Souls'. Got bored after twenty minutes and stopped.

Back to multiplayer. Will get back to this. Seems like almost a straight copy of Dark Souls. But the prison isn't as interesting.

Last night I started a new game in Civ5:BNW.

Biggest map. Largest amount of city states and AI nations. Quick research.

The French, they are my bitches.
They tried to take out one of my major cities with their crossbow armies...I took them out with my WW1 soldiers.
Took half their territory before they finally asked for surrender.

Out of healing supplies on the first boss. *sigh* I miss the estus flask. Might just drop this.

Edit: Beat him. Gonna keep going.

I started playing Hand of Fate 2 recently.

Holy shit, THIS is how you do a sequel.

Yeah, ok, the combat is a little slower/more precise than the last game because you don't "animation cancel" anymore so you can't just hit "Counterattack" and instantly stop your combo to counter. But aside from that, everything is a straight up improvement.

The deckbuilding aspect is as awesome as ever, even moreso now that each "chapter" has specific challenges that they forecast for you, so learning how to stack the deck for each run feels like a puzzle. The Dealer is as fun to listen to as ever, and the new mechanics (dice, Fame, etc) all feel like great new additions.

I'm having trouble putting it down even when a good run gets ruined because I got careless, or when I get a bad RNG cascade. XD

First off, I skipped the opening cutscenes, which has become painfully common. I just wanna play the game. Most of these stories suck anyway

Well into the game, I went back and watched ALL the cutscenes again. Still, didn't know what was happening.

Will get back to this. Seems like almost a straight copy of Dark Souls. But the prison isn't as interesting.

It took me days to get through that section, because, as you see, it's not very engaging. Dark, tedious, and you don't know the mechanics. I'd play a few minutes, get bored and try again the next day.

After that, things get MUCH better. It's a wild ride that I played for months. The weapon variety alone makes it worthwhile. You'll have fun...eventually.

I've been playing the remake of La Mulana. It started out very fun, with loads of exploration and puzzle solving, but now that I'm much deeper into it, progress feels very slow. I find myself backtracking through tons of areas, trying to find that next essential upgrade that my last upgrade will allow me to acquire. Basically, it's like getting a key, and then scouring the entire game for the lock so I can get another key.
Considering that I had less trouble progressing in Hollow Knight, I think La Mulana may have taken the whole getting lost and looking for a way to progress thing a bit too far. It's really hard to know what you're supposed to do to progress in this game.

I'm at the very end of Cuphead and Sly Cooper 2. I'm halfway through the last stage of Sly Cooper 2, and only the Devil stands between me and my Cuphead victory. However, for some reason it's been over a week and I still haven't gotten around to finishing either of them. I have been on a bit of a writing kick lately, but even when I do decide to game, I end up playing something else instead.

I'm trying to get back into BloodBorne. Forgot how much I loved the music, atmosphere and monster design, and how much I hate the gameplay and boss grind. Thank the Blood for the summon bell - no way I'm ever doing a boss more than twice. I'll give it 1 go on my own, and if I don't gank the bitch, I'm calling in the cavalry.

Horizon Zero Dawn. The new DLC is out and I want to plat the game before I get into it.

DCUO - I just really wanted to see the heroes and villains I made again. I've still got an open slot to make a mercenary for Lex.

I'm playing XCom 2 WotC when I manage to drag myself on my pc.

Otherwise, i'm playing either doom or Mario odyssey on my switch

Mario & Luigi Dream Team.

The release of Metroid: Samus Returns made me remember I have a 3DS. Been really absorbed by PC gaming the past 3 or so years and honest to god forgot I still own one, as well as some unplayed games. Decided to catch up and shrink that backlog a little. Also, was kind of wanting to play something lighthearted. Dream Team feels harder than the other Mario & Luigi games tho, but that might just be me remembering things wrong. Next up is probably Bravely Default.

Playing some more Nioh.

I was sure the catacombs boss, Muneshige, would have a second phase, another boss following him. I was like, "It's never this easy." But it was.

I've barely gone to the store and have done no crafting or soul matching. That stuff just doesn't interest me much. I'm still doing fine.

Tachibana Ginchiyo's outfit is cute. I'm now doing that escort mission with her. The level seems like it's going to be good.

I am currently playing NFS Payback! I expected more from the game though, but still liking it for now ;)

I'm trying to play The Witcher 3. It's not the fault of the game that I keep stopping, it looks and plays great. I'm just finding Geralt to be a completely uninteresting character and since he's meant to be my avatar in the game, that isn't a good thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here