Gaming Unpopular opinion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Two opinions I fully stand behind that I expect to draw all the hate with:

Need For Speed is at its best not when it focuses on import tuner street racing, but when it focuses on showing off exotic European supercars in the most scenic places on Earth. At 200+ miles an hour.

Nintendo's best console is the Gamecube. Rogue Leader, F-Zero GX and 1080 Avalanche are the best games it got. The Wii was an absolute pile of shit, and Nintendo haven't been worth shit since.

Gee, I haven't seen a thread like this before.

Okay, I'll play:

B-Cell:

Only Good Resident Evil is Resident evil 7

ReMake, 2, 3, Code: Veronica (maybe), 4, and 5 want a word with you.

B-Cell:

90% of open world games are trash
90% of third person shooters are bad

Sturgeon's Law states that 90% of everything is crap, so...

B-Cell:

Wolfenstein new order, old blood, new collosus absolutely suck and disgrace towards wolfenstein games and FPS

What's funny is that Wolfenstein wasn't even an FPS until Id Software took over, so...how?

B-Cell:

Doom 2016 is best game of this generation and best FPS of decade.

No. Just no. It's not even the best Doom game. But even taking it on its own terms, the combat is repetitive, the story is lacklustre, and the game as a whole is what I call "aggressively average."

And I do admit that might be an unpopular opinion, but I guess that's what this thread is for.

Xsjadoblayde:

well if I must partake...2D sonic does not feel any better to play than 3D sonic.

Can't say I agree or disagree, it really comes down to the game in question. 2D or 3D doesn't have a monopoly over good control.

Xsjadoblayde:

Megaman always looks aesthetically godawful.

But I like how Mega Man 11 looks. :(

Xsjadoblayde:
this isn't as inflammatory a B-Cell post as I was hoping. *Le sighs* 2/10 for salt-mining efficiency.

well if I must partake...2D sonic does not feel any better to play than 3D sonic. Megaman always looks aesthetically godawful. FF games seem built from the ground up solely to irritate me on levels I never knew existed until playing, yet there's only myself to blame for trying them. and I don't care for childhood nostalgia

balladbird:
"Linear" isn't a dirty word. Not every game in every genre needs to be a sandbox of choice, and many games are failing in areas they used to excel at for the sake of chasing this trend.

Agree.

balladbird:

also, I'll take a JRPG over a WRPG every time.

Maybe not every time, but I'm close to that.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Resident Evil 5 is better than RE4

Nup.

But I do quite like RE5. I rank it above more traditional RE games (e.g. Code: Veronica and Zero).

jademunky:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was overrated and poorly designed in many ways.

Sonic the Hedgehog has never been great. At his best, he is merely playable. (YMMV whether his ability to go "all fast and stuff brah" makes up for it.)

NEVER!

JohnnyDelRay:
Now for my very unpopular opinions:
-RE6 is not the worst RE game ever made, in fact it's one of the best. Including the controls! Having said that, I also did not consider RE7 that great a game (definitely not an Outlast clone though, what kind of idiot would say that).

Never played 6, but I'll posit that the worst RE game is Resident Evil Gaiden (though it seems like I'm the only one who's played it...maybe that's a good thing for the world).

Samtemdo8:
Overwatch was made for cringy and corny ass geeks that likes Cartoony Disney/Pixar/Marvel shit without an ounce of grit and jacks off to the female characters because fan service, and the Memes, oh my goodness the fuckin memes :P

Its art style almost triggers me as a guy that grows up with art style of the older Blizzard Games, We went from this epic, hyper-realistic and gritty look:

To this colorful Disney/Pixar plagerized baby shit:

Okay, few things:

-You can't use the cinematics as an example of Blizzard games having a "gritty" look. Look at in-game - Warcraft is far away from "gritty" as you can get (well, almost). StarCraft is fairly gritty, but even in-game, there's a heavy use of colour when it comes to army/faction representation. Diablo? Okay, maybe. Blackthorne? Yep, but again, high use of primary colours. Lost Vikings, Rock n' Roll Racing, and HotS? Nup.

-Isn't that implying that an artist/group of artists should always stick with the one style?

-Disney and Pixar don't have a monopoly over that aesthetic - DreamWorks, Blue Sky, Illumination, etc.

Samtemdo8:

And the worse part is the mainstream gaming public didn't gave 2 shits about Blizzard except Blizzard fans until Overwatch came out, now its being seen as the face of Blizzard supplanting Warcraft. THIS IS NOW CHIRS METZEN'S LEGACY!!!

Oh my goodness what utter bullshit. Not Thrall, Not Raynor, not heck not even Diablo, no the fuckin Gorilla from Overwatch :P

Wait, what?

Blizzard's always had high market penetration, and everyone's at least heard of their games. WoW? Largest MMO right now. Diablo? Pretty much birthed ARPGs, and whatever one may think about D3, it's one of the bestselling games of all time. StarCraft? RTS is fairly niche, but SC1 and SC2 are pretty much the top dogs right now, especially in e-sports. Blizzard and its IPs were hardly obscure before Overwatch was released.

As for the legacy of Chris Metzen, you...do realize that's a small bust he was given as a gift before leaving Blizzard, right? It's an obvious homage to Walt Disney and Micky, but Chris Metzen is primarily going to be remembered for his work on Warcraft and StarCraft (Diablo to a lesser extent). You're picking out one gift when Metzen would have almost certainly been gifted with Warcraft swag (the swords, stiens, shields) due to how long he worked at Blizzard.

You could make an argue that Overwatch is supplanting Warcraft, but bear in mind the Warcraft IP dates back to 1994. Overwatch is the new kid on the block, and absolutely exploded. How that'll look years from now is another matter, but even then, I don't think Blizzard (or anyone else) is obliged to have uniform IPs.

trunkage:

The Zelda series is not great.

:(

Kerg3927:

ME1 = best originality (it's the Star Wars IV: A New Hope of the trilogy)

But A New Hope is the best Star Wars movie (shadup, it is!), so...does that mean ME1 is the best game?

Commanderfantasy:

2. RE7 might very well be the BEST RE game, but not the only good one. RE1, 2, and 4 are some of the best horror action games ever made.

What about 3?

Okay, am I the only person that thinks RE3>RE2?

Commanderfantasy:

5. The Witcher 3 is what? The fuck did you just say you little sandbag of dickbutts?

Geez, calm down dude.

Kerg3927:

Ironman126:
Dragon Age 2 is better, in every way, than Origins (on PC). Yeah. I said it. It's plot is better, it's combat is better, it's RPG min/maxing is less of a pain in the ass, and Kirkwall is far and away more interesting a setting than Not-Westeros - I mean, Ferelden.

Strongly disagree, although I think DA2 is a solid game, and like ME3, it gets way too much of a bad rap. What sets DAO apart from DA2 is the great characters and the well-written dialogue. Of course, when you're talking about liking or disliking characters, that's entirely subjective, so opinions will obviously vary.

I find Bioware games to have pretty lame characters, but I found the cast of DAO to be particularly bland. Sten was the only character that seemed to have any depth. Which is not to say that DA2 didn't have its share of bad characters, but the good ones outweigh the bad more than in Origins.

But what it really came down to for me was the plot. Replace "Darkspawn" with "Orcs" or "White Walkers" and you have someone else's story. The one time I felt like I was on a new adventure was during the Sacred Ashes portion. Everything else made me feel like I'd seen it somewhere better. DA2, for all its faults, felt new. I also appreciated the tighter focus. You get to know Kirkwall. Ferelden always felt like a series of disconnected encounters.

B-Cell:

uncharted, last of us are more of hollywood movies than games

And that is precisely what makes them better than everything else.

Seriously though if that is an unpopular opinion: to like pretty much everything so called "true gamers" get hung up on for not being "gamey" enough or trying to hard to be movies then I guess that's it.

Linear, story driven "cinematic" games like the aforementioned Uncharted and The Last of Us are some of my favourite games of all time.

Also interactive movies and/or walking simulators, such as Heavy Rain or the kinds of games Telltale makes I find I enjoy more these days.

And finally probably most egregious of all... I like cutscenes! (Shock Horror!)

Ironman126:

Kerg3927:

Ironman126:
Dragon Age 2 is better, in every way, than Origins (on PC). Yeah. I said it. It's plot is better, it's combat is better, it's RPG min/maxing is less of a pain in the ass, and Kirkwall is far and away more interesting a setting than Not-Westeros - I mean, Ferelden.

Strongly disagree, although I think DA2 is a solid game, and like ME3, it gets way too much of a bad rap. What sets DAO apart from DA2 is the great characters and the well-written dialogue. Of course, when you're talking about liking or disliking characters, that's entirely subjective, so opinions will obviously vary.

I find Bioware games to have pretty lame characters, but I found the cast of DAO to be particularly bland. Sten was the only character that seemed to have any depth. Which is not to say that DA2 didn't have its share of bad characters, but the good ones outweigh the bad more than in Origins.

But what it really came down to for me was the plot. Replace "Darkspawn" with "Orcs" or "White Walkers" and you have someone else's story. The one time I felt like I was on a new adventure was during the Sacred Ashes portion. Everything else made me feel like I'd seen it somewhere better. DA2, for all its faults, felt new. I also appreciated the tighter focus. You get to know Kirkwall. Ferelden always felt like a series of disconnected encounters.

Actually the only characters I'd jettison from DA2's party options are Fenris and Anders. The first is a barely restrained and deeply damaged man who I wouldn't want within a million fucking miles of me and the other one is an unhinged extremist responsible for about 90% of the death and destruction you see in DragonAge Inquisition. Give me Varric (ALL the Varric), Merrill, Bethany, Aveline, Sebastian and Isabela. In fact, we can add Feynriel as the other mage character and maybe let us keep Carver as the warrior; he was a whiny bugger but he was family and whiny within the appropriate confines of being a moody teenager.

Gordon_4:

Actually the only characters I'd jettison from DA2's party options are Fenris and Anders. The first is a barely restrained and deeply damaged man who I wouldn't want within a million fucking miles of me and the other one is an unhinged extremist responsible for about 90% of the death and destruction you see in DragonAge Inquisition. Give me Varric (ALL the Varric), Merrill, Bethany, Aveline, Sebastian and Isabela. In fact, we can add Feynriel as the other mage character and maybe let us keep Carver as the warrior; he was a whiny bugger but he was family and whiny within the appropriate confines of being a moody teenager.

I don't think I could have said it any better myself. Though, I have no idea who Sebastian is.

Warhound:
Spec Ops: The line was a completely overrated game whos wank-off moralizing falls flat when you realize that it is trying to shame you for input you have no control over.

I'm not as against Spec Ops as you but believe the point is valid. The problem is that most games do exactly the same thing. Dishonored 1 and 2 were they explicitly make out that NOT killing the target is worse for them. Portal 2 where you getting betrayed isn't a choice - you cant trust those AIs. New Vegas vault 34 where you have to choose between people trapped or crops. The game tries to make you feel bad either way, despite the fact that there is another vault dedicated to farming that might be useful. Or you could help find a place to move to. Or the Crones vs Tree Heart quest in the Witcher which would probably be easily solved by asking any of your friends to help. But no. You have to be made to feel bad.

In fact, all choice that seem to have bad consequence on both side but have easy fixes can go jump in a lake

Ironman126:

Gordon_4:

I don't think I could have said it any better myself. Though, I have no idea who Sebastian is.

Sebastian is a DLC character who only becomes a party member in chapter 2 onwards. If you have the DLC you should see him post a notice on the Chantry noticeboard about finding the mercenaries that murdered his family and retainers.

He's not a deep character since he was DLC, but he provides an interesting pro-Chantry voice, and can be romanced by Fem!Hawke but their relationship is chaste because he's umming and ahhing about taking his vows again to the Chantry as what I presume would be a ley-brother.

Hmmmm, might as well weigh in on this, because we can...

I hated Pillars of Eternity, the entire party management/AI was utter shite
The Guitar Hero games need re-releasing as a full package
Tales from the Borderlands was boring AF
Borderlands itself can fuck right off
Killing Floor 1 is better than 2
Doom 2016 was utter trash
Torchlight STILL better than Diablo
The world needs S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
And Escape from Torkarov (W/e spelling) needs a solo/co-op only mode

That is all

EDIT: I forgot to add.
Need For Speed Most Wanted (2005) was the peak for the series

Fallout 3 is a better game than New Vegas, especially when the DLC additions are taken into consideration. (NV is the more ambitious game, sure. It's also a buggy mess, even in its final form, with non-trivial segments of what were probably once intricate plans puttied-in with repetitive filler, especially near the endings.)

System Shock 2 is vastly over-rated. Throwing you up against a boss who can't be taken on with melee weapons without enough ammo isn't tension-raising survival horror gameplay, it's just lousy game design. Also nigh-useless skill trees and weapon degradation that makes Breath of the Wild look positively generous by comparison.

"Walking simulators" can be relaxing and enjoyable.

Telltale is probably going to kill off Clementine, but they waited too long for it to have any significant emotional punch.

not_you:

Has this ever been an unpopular opinion? xD

trunkage:
the Crones vs Tree Heart quest in the Witcher which would probably be easily solved by asking any of your friends to help. But no. You have to be made to feel bad.

The real problem I had with that quest is that they simply didn't give you access to enough information to decide how the pivotal point should go. I wouldn't want them to spell out the consequences around the Baron etc. but there should have been some way of determining who was in the right and what had happened early enough to make at least a semi informed choice. As it was I flipped a coin, I don't mind rug pulls or morally grey choices but the randomness of the decision just felt unsatisfying.

Warhound:

not_you:

Has this ever been an unpopular opinion? xD

Metro exodus is now Stalker 2. many of GSC guys left so i dont think stalker 2 will happen in future.

Ironman126:

You could say that about most fantasy stories. Tolkien defined the genre, and pretty much everyone else who has written a fantasy story since was influenced by him in some way.

I thought the grey wardens vs. archdemon thing was a fairly original twist. As was the mages vs. demons in the tower thing. Yeah, there were dwarves and elves, but there were original twists there, too. Dwarves living underground fighting an endless war against darkspawn in the Deep Roads. Elves vs. werewolves.

I guess I just don't see humans, elves, and dwarves fighting an ancient big bad and immediately think Tolkien ripoff. I think, oh cool, it's a fantasy story.

more

Assassins creed 3 is better than 2
Only good AC is AC4 black flag. even 2 suck
As someone mention earlier, only Good wolfenstein is RTCW. wolf 3d is too dated and new order/colossus suck. and even 2009 wolf is better game
nintendo were never great. at peak sega genesis was better than snes in every way.
All JRPG suck

Mass Effect series had great story, world and music.
However, gameplay wise, rpg-wise, UI-wise, shooter-wise it's trash.

There are no good Assassin Creed games. It's all glorified glitchy parkour simulators in stunning visual surroundings with endless items to tick off chore lists and clunky qte like combat. While at it, all Ubisoft open world games are dull garbage with differentreskins and all Bethesda open world games are just different breed of dull, buggy garbage reskins. Both prey on inducing compulsive, completionist behaviour and go for quantity over quality.

Skyrim sucks. Full of bugs and bore.

Mass Effect. Romance options is for creepers.

Undertale. Looks like it's made in M$ Paint and boring.

Every Dave Cage game. Wannabe film with obnoxious thematic elements.

Every Final Fantasy game after the PS1 days is total shite.

Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are the best games ever made.

Both Mikami and Kojima are over the hill and younger game designers lack spark.

trunkage:

In fact, all choice that seem to have bad consequence on both side but have easy fixes can go jump in a lake

This reminds me of the pre broken steel Fallout 3, where there were like 4 better options than killing yourself at the end that Bethesda were too stupid to figure out for themselves.

Life is Strange sucks because the characters are simultaneously stupid, two dimensional, and look like plastic barbie dolls.

I have never played a good Blizzard game (though I have never touched Overwatch); they're all derivative, mawkish and totally lacking in aspiration.

AAA games should just stop with sex scenes. If a AAA game has a sex scene, it is always a bad sex scene. They're either too graphic or not graphic enough, always have terrible animation, and only exist as a perfunctory prize for sweaty nerds.

I have never played a good Japanese Visual Novel. People who provide me with examples of "good" graphic novels inevitably provide me the trash I've already tried and found to be terribly translated, flowery, boring, and with a terrible interface design that prevents you from reading properly whilst also failing to offer much to look at beyond a static image of a girl for 10 minutes.

- I absolutely cannot stand anime-style visual design, so much so that it puts me off even trying well-received games that use it. I will never play games like Final Fantasy XV, Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The overdesigned, inconsistent, throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach to most anime styles I've seen annoys me to no end, and keeps me from getting into a game and its story.

- I was severely unimpressed by Halo 1 when I got it with my original Xbox in 2002, and obviously wasn't won over by any of the later installments I played.

- The Xbox and X360-era Forza Motorsports are better than any Gran Turismo has ever been, perhaps not as simulations but definitely as games.

- The Metal Gear Solid series is fun enough to play, but the storyline for which it is revered is a textbook example of elaborateness and detail passing itself off as depth.

- The original Unreal is better than Quake 2.

- The Batmobile sections in Batman: Arkham Knight are not nearly bad or frequent enough to detract from the game as a whole.

- Even though I abruptly had to give up on Middle Earth: Shadow of War when I reached the grind-or-pay stage, I got enough out of it before that to justify my (admittedly, slightly discounted) purchase.

- Increasing the difficulty on Bethesda-era Fallout and Elder Scrolls games makes them exponentially worse and more boring by turning enemies into damage sponges.

Okay:

-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin may be the black sheep of its franchise (in terms of tone and setting), but it's still a good game, and IMO, the #2 Advance Wars game

-Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars is the best CnC game, and Red Alert 3 is the best Red Alert game in the sub-series

-Diablo III is the best Diablo game

-Doom 3 is the best Doom game. Doom 2016 is average at best.

-Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is a good game, just not as good as its predecessors

-Half-Life 2 isn't that great. It's got great elements, but too many frustrating ones as well.

-Halo 5 is a good game, better than Halo 2 and way, WAY better than Halo 4 (and ODST for that matter...then again every Halo game I've played is better than ODST, so meh)

-Heroes of the Storm = best MOBA

-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is overrated, especially when compared to A Link Between Worlds

-Majora's Mask is a good game, but overrated (I know there was a period in time when MM was arguably underrated, but similar to what I've observed with FF7, the pendulum seems to have swung too far the other way)

-Metroid: Fusion is the best Metroid game (that I've played) - still better than Super Metroid (I'd argue that Zero Mission is also better than Super Metroid, but it's a tight race)

-Other M is a very flawed game, but not the monstrosity that people make it out to be. It's still far more palatable than Hunters

-Resident Evil 5 is a good game. Not as good as RE4, but still good, and better than some 'traditional' RE games (e.g. Code: Veronica and Zero).

-On that note, RE3>RE2

-The Sonic the Hedgehog series gets too much flak. On that note, Adventure 1/2 are still the best 3D games that I've played in the series.

-The Legend of Spyro sub-series doesn't get enough attention - while fun, it's unfairly overshadowed by the original series.

-StarCraft II>StarCraft I

-Star Fox Adventures>Star Fox Command (may be an atypical Star Fox game, but at least it's actually fun to play)

-The original Star Wars Battlefront games aren't that great (they were fun, sure, but I don't think they deserve to be on the pedestal so many put them on)

-Aliens: Colonial Marines is a good game

-Another World is overrated (I can appreciate what it's trying to do, I just don't think it does it that well)

Maybe I could think of others, but meh.

Some call games like Doom 4, the Shadow Warrior reboot, Hard Reset the revival of the old school fps. I disagree. They're more what people think old school fps were like. They IMO have more in common with Painkiller (and to a lesser extent Serious Sam), than with OG Doom or Quake. The only recent fps I've played that I'd call truly old school, is Dusk, because it essentially is one.

Motion controls are not inherently bad. They can work well when as a pointing device (and the Trilogy version of Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are by a country mile the superior versions because of it) or when used in addition to more traditional controls. Unfortunately, it was mostly wasted on shovelware with poorly implemented waggle, which has become embedded in people's minds and soured many of them on motion controls in general.

I much prefer 2D Zelda over every 3D title I've played.(all, except BoTW, so won't pass judgment there). The only 3D Zelda I enjoyed was Twilight Princess.

Hawki:
-Other M is a very flawed game, but not the monstrosity that people make it out to be. It's still far more palatable than Hunters

Oh yes, I'll readily agree Hunters is the black sheep of the franchise, over Other M or Federation Force. The only thing Metroid about it is the paintjob, the story is a big far nothing and the controls are a pain (often literally) whether you use the stylus or not.

Warhound:

trunkage:

This reminds me of the pre broken steel Fallout 3, where there were like 4 better options than killing yourself at the end that Bethesda were too stupid to figure out for themselves.

screw you Fawkes. Hop in the Mcguffin for me that wont kill you but will kill me

heres more

Hitman is better stealth series than MGS
Agent 47 is better character than solid snake
Doom 3 was almost as good as Half life 2
Quantum break is best third person shooter this gen better than likes of uncharted and tomb raider
Goldeneye was never good. it was only praised because it was first console FPS. compare to PC FPS it was bad.
Average FPS games have better story than average RPG.

- Half Life 2 is okay

- Bethesda makes bad games

- Halo 4 has a really good soundtrack

- Halo 4 also has an excellent story

- Dragon Age 2 is the best in the series

- Doom 2016 was average

- Mass Effect 1's gameplay makes the game borderline unplayable

- Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series

- Overwatch is boring

- Most open-world games are boring

- Japanese games are clunky

- Bioshock 2 is really good, and easily has the best combat in the series

B-Cell:
Goldeneye was never good. it was only praised because it was first console FPS. compare to PC FPS it was bad.

Goldeneye wasn't the first console FPS.

That would be Faceball 2000 on the SNES in 1992, a port of MIDI Maze for the Atari ST home computer. It was followed a year later by Wolfenstein 3D. If handhelds count, the original Game Boy beats both with its port of Faceball 2000, released in 1991. And Doom was of course ported to everything under the sun, including the SNES, 32X, Jaguar, Playstation and Saturn, all of which predate Goldeneye.

Goldeneye wasn't even the first fps on the Nintendo 64. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was.

*throws up violently*

Laggyteabag:

- Halo 4 also has an excellent story

I'm with you. I enjoyed Halo 4 a lot and never understood why there was so much hate for it; I chalked it up to hipster "the book is so much better" smugness from diehard fans who refused to accept that it was possible for their beloved AAA flagship franchise to change development hands without being ruined, and were looking for any reason to be right on that point. Hell, I was a huge Bungie and Halo fan back then and admit I was fairly leery over the prospect myself, but between Halo 4 then the Master Chief Collection which was a Halo fan's wet dream, any and all doubt in my mind was assuaged.

Then Halo 5 happened...

trunkage:

Seth Carter:
Ah, well, sweeping generalization time it is, then.

Prettymuch all the iconic turn of the millenium class (Half Life, System Shock, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate, and others) don't hold up by any modern standard, and are at best exhibits of innovative ideas that have aged terribly.

Speaking of BG, Bioware has never been good at writing anything but the most basic story, they're utterly incapable of writing an ending at all, rehash ideas constantly, and their much lauded romance options make Twilight look like a well-characterized documentatio of humans.

I'd agree. For example, BG1 is about a mainly about a Saverak, and in any other game it would be side content. In this, it's the whole main quest. Also, BG1 has very little in side content. The friction of combat in BG1 accentuate this problems.

I also don't think Obisidian are great writers either, relying too much on troupes. Alpha Protocol is, by far, their best game story wise (becuase game play is trash in that game.)

Any the biggest one for me at the moment, temper this with that fact that I'm still in the last section, Divinity Original Sin 2, is flawed. Maybe flawed enough to only be called decent, not good.

That was largely my overview of Baldurs Gate as a series. You had Sarevok in the first one, who only got slightly beyond "Grunty large dude with too many spikes on his armor" as a character. The entire game sort of served as the "Call to action" segment for a broader story. Which wasn't entirely unforgivable, games weren't at the state of huge stories yet, and it was a decent successor onto the gold box era of D&D games, with an updated presentation.

Baldurs Gate 2 had a more interesting (and well acted) villain, but if the first game was the opening chapter to the main Bhaalspawn plot, the second one was a full on sidequest, if not "expanded universe" fiction. It was like they took the idea for another game and stuck it in the BG series because they couldn't write something to fit the actual storyline (or maybe Wizards of the Coast was jerking them around with the details, who knows).

Then Throne of Bhaal dropped as an expansion rather then a culminating entry of the trilogy, which did get back to the main plot, but in what has becomes classic Bioware faction, just sloppily delivered a halfhearted ending.

ZCAB:
- I absolutely cannot stand anime-style visual design, so much so that it puts me off even trying well-received games that use it. I will never play games like Final Fantasy XV, Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The overdesigned, inconsistent, throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach to most anime styles I've seen annoys me to no end, and keeps me from getting into a game and its story.

I am the same. When I am looking around for a new game to play, and see something that might be interesting, the first thing I do is look it up on google images. If it's anime, I won't play it.

As a kid watching after school cartoons in the 80's, I hated Speed Racer. Stupid, whiny over-animated bulging eyes and mouths... yuck. ALL anime to me looks just like Speed Racer. And I run the other way every time I see it.

It sucks, because my favorite video game genre is RPG, and half of them are done in anime. But I cannot stand the art style. It's really, really ugly and annoying, IMO.

CannibalCorpses:
Fallout Tactics is the best Fallout game and the first game is mostly shit.

Completely agree. People were angry because it wasn't as RPGesque as Fallout 1&2 but the gameplay was stellar.

Commanderfantasy:
1. The Tomb Raider reboots are some of the best modern adaptations of 3D platformer/action shooters ever made. Regardless of what you think about the story or the characters, the technical execution of those games is simply stunning. And after looking at some of you previous posts, your opinions can be boiled down to "Female lead = shit" which basically makes you worst than Donald Trump and pretty much invalidates anything you could POSSIBLY have to say.

3. GTA the most over ra...what? What the fuck are you even on about. Where do you come up with that shit? Do you make this up yourself, or do you have some retarded lottery ball wheel on your desk that spits out random trolly nonsense? How about Five Nights at Freddies? Final Fantasy (even though I fucking love some FF)? GTA I don't think is all that over-rated, considering the quality of every single game in the series since 3. The games have one thing that most other series do not, consistancy. They are always top of their game and you can't over rate that.

5. The Witcher 3 is what? The fuck did you just say you little sandbag of dickbutts? The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece of gaming. From technical execution, to graphical style and consistancy, to story-telling, to the attention to detail, all of it is unlike any game ever made before it. This is an RPG where a stupid fucking side quest about a frying pan can be incredibly memorable. Where it falters, if anywhere, is the depth of combat, which is completely forgivable because the combat isn't the point of the game and serves as a mechanic to invest the player through the story itself. The Witcher 3 may very well be one of the BEST games EVER made PERIOD.

9. Bobby you gotta stop letting your Momma put these devils in your head boy. Metro is a pretty, but frankly boring and uninterested series of generic FPS games. Oh but you know what did start in 2011? Dark Souls bitch. The game series that started an entire fucking GENRE! Did Metro do that? I don't think so Bobby! Now stop drinking the Kool Aid.

I guess I'll humor you since B-Cell won't or if he does it probably won't even amount to a sentence. I basically cut out the stuff I either agree with (like Max Payne 3 is the worst game I ever played) or really don't care about or just plain haven't played. While I do think Uncharted is overrated as fuck and the 2nd game is the only one I'd rate above a 5/10, B-Cell's complaint is a Gamefaqs-level complaint. You might as well just come back against his like for FPSs with the stupid ass Gamefaqs FPS complaint saying all FPSs are just PAAGGs (play as a gun game).

1) The new Tomb Raiders are at best fun romps (I did enjoy playing them more than the last 2 Uncharteds) but I can't rate them anymore than a 6/10 or maybe a 7 on a really good day as I feel they are only slightly above average (5/10). The gameplay is really just bog standard TPS gameplay, even Watch Dogs lets you have more fun. The setpieces are always just running away from stuff instead of integrating all the gameplay onto a moving environment like when Uncharted is at its best. The platforming is better than Uncharted but barely better and the puzzle solving is OK at best. Tomb Raider should be a puzzle-platformer but those don't sell so they just copied Uncharted basically. The story is pretty bad overall and the worse part is that it takes itself too seriously whereas if it had been on the level of a B-movie with fun camp and cheese, the story and characters would've been so much more enjoyable. The worst Uncharted with regards to story is UC3 because 1) it's completely nonsensical and 2) tries to actually be serious that totally doesn't fit with the gameplay while failing horribly at being serious to boot. Tomb Raider tries to have that level of seriousness (especially the 1st one) but it doesn't mesh with the gameplay plus just plain being horribly written and executed if just taken on its own and divorced from the gameplay. Overall, I do like new Lara decently enough though.

3) GTA along with all of Rockstar's games are pretty bad IMO. I'm going to put this out right away, Rockstar has never understood how to make an open world game. Even back when they sorta invented them, they only seemed good because they were the only ones basically and we didn't know what a good open world game was then. The very first Mercenaries game (from the same gen as GTA3) showed me what an open world game is supposed to be like and basically ruined Rockstar's games for me. An open world game should have missions that are based on using the world and the tools provided to complete missions in a variety of ways. Many of the missions in Mercenaries are more akin to solving a puzzle as you're trying to figure out how to complete a mission in a way that doesn't alert the enemy/faction that you did it. So the whole world/building destruction wasn't just there to see shit blow up like a Michael Bay movie but properly using airstrikes was also strategic in nature with the added bonus of seeing shit blow up. Whereas Rockstar's games are just almost always just go to Point-B and kill a bunch of spawned enemies with average at best shooting. What's the point of it even being open world if you could just do the vast majority of the game's missions with linear levels? At least the level design would most likely be better along with more care being taken with regards to enemy placements too making for better shootouts. Lastly, Dan Houser is probably the biggest hack writer in all of video gaming (which is saying a lot considering how bad writing in gaming is) and I just can't stand anything that he's written after Vice City.

5) Witcher 3 for me fails at being a GAME because there's literally nothing fun or enjoyable about PLAYING the game. Even just walking Geralt around town is horrible, CDPR even patched in an "alternate" movement option because of how bad character movement is. The combat is horrid and also pointless because CDPR gave Geralt game-breaking abilities that allow you to fight literally any creature no matter your level, no matter the difficulty and defeat them without taking a scratch. No GM in a pen and paper RPG would let a player have a skill like Quen or Axii. The combat is also a weird mesh of Arkham and Souls combat that just doesn't feel good at all. And the combat is also designed for humanoid combat when the monster fights should be the highlights of the game (witchers are MONSTER hunters after all) but they fall horribly flat due to the combat system not being designed for such fights. Sure the writing and the questing are good, sometimes very good, but that doesn't discount the gameplay being crap. The majority of my time spent playing Witcher 3 was not enjoyable so how can I rate the game as even being average. Witcher 3 would've been a far better game if it was just an adventure game like akin to a Telltale game or a David Cage game or Until Dawn/Life is Strange/etc. Basically any game should just give me the good stuff instead making me trudge through the shit to get to the good and if a dev can't do gameplay like CDPR or Telltale, then just give the story/characters/choices/etc parts then.

9) How did Dark Souls invent a genre when they are just dungeon crawlers with average combat? The whole death mechanic is just a twist on a rogue-like where you restart at the nearest checkpoint (that are spread decently apart) instead of starting the game over again. I will give the Souls games mad props for level design and atmosphere. However, the gameplay is based on average combat that has caused action combat games to devolve much like what happened to the FPS genre because of COD4. Action combat games used to require mastery of advanced mechanics along with requiring amazing timing to "git gud" at. But, now dodging slow ass enemies is considered hard just because the player has less health and dies in a few hits. All that you as a player have to be is careful, anyone can do that. I'd love for a Souls game to be basically a survival horror environmental puzzle game. Take out 90% of the enemies so an enemy around the next corner is actually surprising instead of just being par for the course, make getting through dungeons much much more about defeating the environment via traps and puzzles, and keep the boss battles of course.

And yes, the Metro games so far have been nothing special and I'm not holding my breath on this new one either because until a dev makes a great game, I really can't be excited about whatever upcoming game they are working on. It's pretty bad when you can find reviews that compare a game's "scripted-ness" to being like Disneyland.

Hawki:

B-Cell:

90% of open world games are trash
90% of third person shooters are bad

Sturgeon's Law states that 90% of everything is crap, so...

Haha, beat me to it. The majority of anything being shit is just par for the course.

Gaming is mostly a waste of time and money.

Seth Carter:

trunkage:

Seth Carter:
Ah, well, sweeping generalization time it is, then.

Prettymuch all the iconic turn of the millenium class (Half Life, System Shock, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate, and others) don't hold up by any modern standard, and are at best exhibits of innovative ideas that have aged terribly.

Speaking of BG, Bioware has never been good at writing anything but the most basic story, they're utterly incapable of writing an ending at all, rehash ideas constantly, and their much lauded romance options make Twilight look like a well-characterized documentatio of humans.

I'd agree. For example, BG1 is about a mainly about a Saverak, and in any other game it would be side content. In this, it's the whole main quest. Also, BG1 has very little in side content. The friction of combat in BG1 accentuate this problems.

I also don't think Obisidian are great writers either, relying too much on troupes. Alpha Protocol is, by far, their best game story wise (becuase game play is trash in that game.)

Any the biggest one for me at the moment, temper this with that fact that I'm still in the last section, Divinity Original Sin 2, is flawed. Maybe flawed enough to only be called decent, not good.

That was largely my overview of Baldurs Gate as a series. You had Sarevok in the first one, who only got slightly beyond "Grunty large dude with too many spikes on his armor" as a character. The entire game sort of served as the "Call to action" segment for a broader story. Which wasn't entirely unforgivable, games weren't at the state of huge stories yet, and it was a decent successor onto the gold box era of D&D games, with an updated presentation.

Baldurs Gate 2 had a more interesting (and well acted) villain, but if the first game was the opening chapter to the main Bhaalspawn plot, the second one was a full on sidequest, if not "expanded universe" fiction. It was like they took the idea for another game and stuck it in the BG series because they couldn't write something to fit the actual storyline (or maybe Wizards of the Coast was jerking them around with the details, who knows).

Then Throne of Bhaal dropped as an expansion rather then a culminating entry of the trilogy, which did get back to the main plot, but in what has becomes classic Bioware faction, just sloppily delivered a halfhearted ending.

You know what - that makes BG2 sound like ME2. Main mission - bunch of filler - end mission.

I still class BG2 as a goodish game. The friction of combat is much less than BG1, story is better, some worthwhile stuff to see. But I gather it will continue to go done the quality pole for me as time goes on

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here