Game Awards security

Game Awards Security Will Be Tightened After Recent Incidents

Geoff Keighley has had issues with people running up on stage during his award shows. At next month’s The Game Awards, he will be taking measures to tighten security.

Recommended Videos

As picked up by the website VGC, Keighley mentioned tightening security during a Q&A on Twitch. When asked about it, he said, “We definitely have plans, and we’re trying to do all we can to keep me safe, but also everyone watching the show, the audience, people participating in the show and everything. It’s certainly something we’re thinking about. We appreciate the concern.”

Related: Baldur’s Gate 3 Is the Game to Beat at The Game Awards

Bizarrely, The Game Awards 2022 and Gamescom Opening Night Live 2023 featured random people yelling about Bill Clinton. Luckily, both times just had audience members seizing the microphone to say dumb things. While everyone can laugh about it afterward, the fact it happened twice raised concerns. And it isn’t far-fetched to surmise that the various presenters and the general public were feeling unease after the incidents.

However, Keighley made it clear that putting on a good show was his biggest concern. “Believe me, that’s something that is top of mind for us, but we also want to put on a great show that celebrates these games, and celebrates our love of video games, so that’s an important thing to keep in mind as well. But yeah, I appreciate the concern around that,” he said.

Of course, Keighley could not go into specifics about how security will be strengthened, but here’s hoping things run smoothly during December’s The Game Awards. While I think the event is nothing more than an advertisement for upcoming releases, I want everyone who attends to be safe.

If you’re looking for more topics involving The Game Awards, here’s an articles that discusses why Hogwarts Legacy wasn’t snubbed by the awards show.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Everything Revealed on Honkai: Star Rail 2.2 Special Program Livestream
Read Article Mythical Pokemon Diancie Is Coming to Pokemon GO Through Free Special Research
Image of the Mythical Pokemon Diancie in a crystal-filled cave, next to the Pokemon GO and World of Wonders logos
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Related Content
Read Article Everything Revealed on Honkai: Star Rail 2.2 Special Program Livestream
Read Article Mythical Pokemon Diancie Is Coming to Pokemon GO Through Free Special Research
Image of the Mythical Pokemon Diancie in a crystal-filled cave, next to the Pokemon GO and World of Wonders logos
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Author
Arthur Damian
Arthur Damian has been covering the video game industry for over ten years, and joined The Escapist in 2022. He is a huge fan of platformers, indies, and fighting games, and strives to cover them for The Escapist every chance he gets. Arthur received his Bachelor’s Degree in English from Brooklyn College in 2009. He is also the Editor-in-Chief over at That VideoGame Blog. When he isn’t writing, Arthur enjoys playing games on his Switch and PlayStation 5, and sings the praises of the greatest video game ever, Chrono Trigger, to anyone who will listen.