Will the suggested 'Dragon Riding' in Skyrim ruin your immersion?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

the problem with flying is that it often shrinks a world and make you miss the little things that make RPGs awsome. so for example if you were walking you could stumble upon a cave where as if you were flying you would most likley miss or ignore it.
you thoughts.

Like fast travel?

Well they said at the moment its not going to be included, but if they could get it working they would consider it.. although that probably wont be in time for release.
Anyway im assuming like most things in the game, it'll be optional, there'll prolly still be fast travel, and if you want to explore you could just walk around or go on a horse

Not for me it won't.
Riding dragons sounds awesome.

No way. If my character is ultra-badass, it would ruin my immersion if I couldn't ride a dragon.

BRING ON THE DRAGON RIDING!

shadowslayer81:
Like fast travel?

Yes but that's after you explore the area.Also i think they should make the fast travel like in red dead,where you have to set up camp or pay for it in a city.

I think the bad voice acting and script will ruin my immersion :)

OT: Dragon riding sounds awesome. But really all I care about in an elder scrolls game is the magic system.

doubt you will start the game on a dragon... Think you will get it after 75% completion of the main story. Thats what they should do anyway.

I'd say dragon riding would be fucking awesome. And if it does play a large role in the game, I think we would've heard about it by now... And while it may supersede on-foot exploration, it wouldn't preclude it.

If the dragons are anything like the companions in Fallout 3, then you won't have to worry about riding them too long.
And even if they do have dragon riding, that doesn't mean that you'll just keep the dragon. Maybe it'll just fly away after you dismount.

warhammerfrog:
the problem with flying is that it often shrinks a world and make you miss the little things that make RPGs awsome. so for example if you were walking you could stumble upon a cave where as if you were flying you would most likley miss or ignore it.
you thoughts.

I'd say "no" because you could make yourself fly in Morrowwind and honestly not being able to fly in Oblivion kind of ticked me off. If anything I have concerns that being mounted might limit it a bit too much, depending on how the mount handles. The only real benefit I could see is if the mighty dragon mount prevented the mobs of cliff racers. :)

As far as missing details goes, well there are pros and cons to everything, and many players are going to consider that themselves when choosing when and how often to use their mount.

Honestly in an MMO I find flying mounts almost a nessecity to travel nowadays, because I get tired to having to deal with trivial mobs when I just want to get from point A to point B, especially when I have a time limit to get there, or have people waiting for me. Depending on the rate of respawn, I could see flying also being nessicary if I want to say re-visit earlier areas, but don't want to spend an hour slogging through trivial content.

I'm a little surprised that you can't actually summon "wings" of your own as Dovahkiin.

I'd be more interested in a flight mechanic where I can take the dragons on in the sky, without the need of another dragon.

I say we need more Dragons riding in video game!

As long as I don't crash my dragon in the twin towers of Mageville, I really don't see how it's going to kill immersion. Hell, flying a dragon will only make the immersion better. And for better still complaining about fast travel: don't like it? DON'T USE IT, simple as that. Now have fun, getting attacked a nasty fire breathing dragon, at least 20 times, on your way to the village of your choice.

Riding on horses didn't make the game feel any less big.

Driving in cars in GTA doesn't make the world feel any less big.

Riding mounts in WoW doesn't make the world feel any less big (I'm told)

Hell, planes and helicopters in GTA just make the world seem huge.

Assuming they go at a pace not that much faster than a horse (they're big creatures, you know, can't be that quick) I don't see why not.

Dragon riding would make the immersion in Skyrim better not worse. Seriously who doesn't want to fly on a dragon? That's like saying having melee weapons in a zombie survival game like Left4Dead makes their immersion worse.

I don't really like the idea. The dragons would stop being threatening if you could just ride them.

If I can ride a dragon in Skyrim, it will be impossible for me to not be completely immersed in the game, as riding dragons automatically maxes out awesome.

It sounds awesome, but I think it would only work as a really hard to attain ability. Like if you only got it after completing several grueling quests after the main storyline has ended.

Although I like the idea of it, it sounds a little like playing catch-up to Divinity 2 and its dragon flying to me. They may be totally unrelated of course, but the first to the gate gets the glory.

If they use it like fast-travel in Morrowind that's fine. It really doesn't matter as long as parking my dragon next to a town doesn't send the AI into berserker mode or anything.

WaywardHaymaker:
If I can ride a dragon in Skyrim, it will be impossible for me to not be completely immersed in the game, as riding dragons automatically maxes out awesome.

This

Bethesda's quality animation will most certainly break whatever hope of immersion I had to begin with.

so no and yes at the same time.

I don't imagine it would be immersion-breaking. The world-shrinking thing is a possibility, but if that turns out to be the case, I'll just do what I did with fast-travel in Oblivion - not use it all the time.

maybe, but i would certainly prefer it to fast travel. i haven't played any elder scroll games but i remember in fallout 3 that i would be getting into the game, slaughtering the entirety of a raider stronghold and then emerge blinkingly about midnight and then...
take the loading screen express back to my house in megaton...

bleh, i say bleh.

and also, why would u WANT to take a dragon if fast travel is an option?

Based on the fact that I've never really worried about immersion in a game, no, I don't think it will.

Why do we need dragon sex? O.o

It might be, and it might defeat the purpose of exploring, but as everyone else has been kind enough to say, riding a dragon is awesome! Besides, if Skyrim is as big and repetitive as Oblivion was you're not missing out on much. If you really need to explore and such, you could just opt to not ride the dragon.

viking97:

Indeed, as i always say "I'd rather the maglev train than a dragon."

Oh wait, I've never, ever, ever said that.

I kid. OT I'd love for there to be dragon riding as long as it feels massive.

Randomeaninglessword:
I don't really like the idea. The dragons would stop being threatening if you could just ride them.

kinda brings to mind the big daddie in the first bioshock, in the beginning their these monstrous neigh invincible behemoths but by the end you can kill them like mosquitos. they're basically a joke by the end. in the sequel your playing as one for god's sake!

If you ask me it's adding a whole new dimension to the game, not skipping on features.

AugustFall:

viking97:

Indeed, as i always say "I'd rather the maglev train than a dragon."

Oh wait, I've never, ever, ever said that.

well novelty kind of dissolves when you realize your journey through uninteresting skies could just be a loading screen away. now if bethesda removed fast travel all together...

Nope but it will be loads of fun.

They had Dragons in a Mod for Oblivion, and fuck me the world was still massive.

kypsilon:
Although I like the idea of it, it sounds a little like playing catch-up to Divinity 2 and its dragon flying to me. They may be totally unrelated of course, but the first to the gate gets the glory.

I doubt Bethesda looked at Divinity 2 and said "I gotta get me some of that".

But as long as it's implemented properly and it's avoidable so those that don't want it don't have to have it, it seems fine.

That said...DRAGONS!!!

I don't see them ever working it out right (maybe with DLC, but that's a huge maybe), to be honest. So I don't see it being implemented at all

[long list of questions]
I mean, what would they do with walled in towns, then? Would there be a no landing zone there? If so, how would they put it? An invisible wall?
And since they didn't plan for dragon riding, will there be easily accessible areas to land and take off? Will they have to allow players to summon dragons or let them sit wherever you parked them, like horses? How will the player get the dragon into (either by being summoned or just landing) smaller areas (say in the middle of the densely packed forest)?
How might they keep the dragon from messing with NPC AI (as I'm sure they're going to be set to "See a Dragon, run away or attempt to fight.")? How would your dragon react to the other creatures in the game? Would it fight and give you an unfair advantage (and basically deliver a companion who can just wipe out anything)? Would a dragon fight another dragon because of a Dragon Born telling him to?
How would you get a dragon? Would they have to implement another Dragon Shout? Would you then have to fight a dragon to ride it? Or can you just summon one? Will it be labeled your dragon or will it be a wild dragon?
Will it have a personality (as dragon's are sentient in the Elder Scrolls, they're more like another race than anything else)? Will dragon's lore-wise allow riders? How do you even turn a certain dragon from an enemy faction into a companion faction and effect the entire world?
etc. etc.
[/long list of questions]

There are far too many questions for Bethesda to honestly build a riding system so late. If they did, I bet it'll feel rushed and take a lot of time away from other things.
I'd just rather not see it unless it was built from the ground up with the game.
Also, (lore-wise as I love role playing in The Elder Scrolls) I don't see how an enemy faction bent on (what I assume is) destroying the world of men and mer would just graciously let you hop on their backs.
Lore-wise and technology-wise, it doesn't seem to me that anything good would come from them trying to squeeze that feature in. >>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked