most overrated games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Gentleman_Reptile:
Captain Obvious says:

Duke Nukem Forever.

Dude, that game wasn't overrated. It was over-hyped. Anyone that says they were expecting it to be a good game and that it turned out to be so is a liar. (Personally I had more fun with that game than just about any other in the last few years, but it was still a crap game.)

Most overrated games I know of are the CoD series after MW1, Halo after 1 and Half-Life series.

I'm gonna go with... Mass Effect.

Halo is the best choice for this, worst garbage ever, and a permanent blight on gaming in general. Been crap since Bungie (Bung hole?) pinched this loaf off. Hope it dies off soon so the genre can recover. Gears of Snore would be next in line, more chest high walls anyone? How about some mutated circus clown lead characters you wish would all die in the first 5 minutes?

Bioshock for certain, everything about the game was ho-hum except the aesthetic, the design was indeed excellent. Every other element else was pretty ordinary, it had been done before and done better. In fact the gameplay was below average.

Tuesday Night Fever:
I'm gonna have to go with Bioshock.
snip

Yeah, I'm sure the System Shock games have a lot to do with how little Bioshock impressed me. I was constantly disappointed with it. I was constantly thinking, I've played this before only it was better. Unlike you I really didn't enjoy Bioshock, it was a chore.

josephmatthew10:

Tuesday Night Fever:

josephmatthew10:
Well with CoD or RE the absurdity of the games speak for themselves. If someone were to tell me that they hated Casablanca, or the Wizard of Oz, or Grapes of Wrath, I'd probably call them a troll. Similar situation.

I'm not sure I understand that logic. If an individual sees a movie, like let's say Casablanca, and doesn't like it... why is that person not entitled to think it's overrated? The idea of labeling something as overrated is completely subjective. Just because that individual thinks Casablanca is overrated doesn't mean it actually is (because that's impossible to quantify), just that they feel it is.

And besides, everything works both ways. If you think he's wrong for calling something you like overrated, just remember, you might think that something he likes is overrated.

I don't mean I'd call them a troll for thinking it was overrated, that I could understand; I'd call them a troll for saying it was awful, as Mr. Legion IV has with regards to the games he mentioned.

Am not even gonna bother anymore, i had this long type up planned but am just not gonna bother its to depressing. Your right all those games are complete masterpieces and if you hate them your a troll. If other people do no explanations on other games like RE or FF there true and not trolling at all. Your right. Am sure you think most of FF series is trash to am i right? if not then am sure only 6 and 9 were good.

This forums depressing.....

Almost forgot, Most jrpgs are crap right? there nothing compared to Bethesda and bioware rpgs. Am i right?

Legion IV:

josephmatthew10:

Tuesday Night Fever:

I'm not sure I understand that logic. If an individual sees a movie, like let's say Casablanca, and doesn't like it... why is that person not entitled to think it's overrated? The idea of labeling something as overrated is completely subjective. Just because that individual thinks Casablanca is overrated doesn't mean it actually is (because that's impossible to quantify), just that they feel it is.

And besides, everything works both ways. If you think he's wrong for calling something you like overrated, just remember, you might think that something he likes is overrated.

I don't mean I'd call them a troll for thinking it was overrated, that I could understand; I'd call them a troll for saying it was awful, as Mr. Legion IV has with regards to the games he mentioned.

Am not even gonna bother anymore, i had this long type up planned but am just not gonna bother its to depressing. Your right all those games are complete masterpieces and if you hate them your a troll. If other people do no explanations on other games like RE or FF there true and not trolling at all. Your right. Am sure you think most of FF series is trash to am i right? if not then am sure only 6 and 9 were good.

Easy, now, I've never played any FF (gotten mixed repots as to which ones were good or not) and I certainly don't want to send you spiraling into cynicism. I'm willing (cautously) to accept that those games seriously aren't your cup of tea, and you could probably supply... somewhat decent reasons as to why.

So, uh, have you played Portal 2?

this isnt my name:
Half life, by far. It noys me people complain about boring characters and a generic story and the fact most new fps games are all the same. They bitch "halo is so overrated" yes it is (I enjoy it though, and love halo) but so is half life. I just find it annoying one game is "crap" the other is like the second coming of christ, despite hem being so fucking similar.

Mass effect 2, its not an rpg, it annoys me people ink its a great rpg, FABLE has more depth,no conversations but choice and consequence and character customisation. Yet "hurrr fable isnt areal rpg". Bioware coud shit in the case, ship it of for £40 and it would stil get rpg of the year and legions of rabd fans.

I love loving things people hate...Especially the things you hate.

Nfritzappa:

this isnt my name:
Half life, by far. It noys me people complain about boring characters and a generic story and the fact most new fps games are all the same. They bitch "halo is so overrated" yes it is (I enjoy it though, and love halo) but so is half life. I just find it annoying one game is "crap" the other is like the second coming of christ, despite hem being so fucking similar.

Mass effect 2, its not an rpg, it annoys me people ink its a great rpg, FABLE has more depth,no conversations but choice and consequence and character customisation. Yet "hurrr fable isnt areal rpg". Bioware coud shit in the case, ship it of for £40 and it would stil get rpg of the year and legions of rabd fans.

I love loving things people hate...Especially the things you hate.

Uh huh, well thanks for the pointless info, I will remember that.

Got four for you:

Half-Life 2, or "Woohoo, yet another fucking see-saw puzzle and lack of decent narrative! Just what I wanted".

Shadows of the Colossus. Nice style, clever ideas, but fails as a game due to bad controls and unnecessary game padding.

Call of Duty 4. Compared to CoD 2, the game is terrible. It is devoid of AI, as shown by friendlies who are useless and enemies whose entire behaviour is spawn, run to cover, fire away at you with infinite ammo and grenades. Every map is a damn corridor with people shouting at you to keep moving the entire time. The plane level is not "brilliant because it's so meta", it's just padding out an extra level. The game has no mechanics beyond action, for example all the stealth in the Pripyat level is scripted. I just can't believe people find the SP of this game so great. Sure the nuke scene is well done, but that doesn't make the game. Especially as we don't give two shits about the character you play who dies.

and I'll throw Far Cry in here at the end as well. Many people bitch about Far Cry 2 while saying how great this game was. Did we even play the same game? Where the human AI was all-knowing, all-seeing and all-hitting, and the Trigens just fucked the game up. There was one truly great level in the game, called "Bridge" or something. I only saw it by unlocking all the maps using cheats, as it's quite late on and I couldn't be bothered dealing with near-instakill mutant-fucks and bad checkpoints. This level was what the game should have been - massive nonlinear area, only human opponents, every vehicle is used somewhere (the glider rocked). But I'm sure few people ever saw this level, as the rest of the game was a nightmarish slog through bad enemies.

Half-Life 2: For a game that touts itself as a "thinking-man"'s shooter, it sure falls into a lot of really dumb video-game cliches. From the enemy taking cover behind RED BARRELS THAT OBVIOUSLY EXPLODE to everyone talking with an american accent (fucking Kleiner, the only German in an eastern-European country), the game doesn't have a leg to stand on when it makes itself out to be some sort of high-brow FPS. The puzzle sections (and most of the environment involved) were even more ridiculous, its as if the whole environment and architecture was just meant to incorporate some weird tom-and-jerry-style type of environmental puzzles (hmmmm...i have to get through this gate, MAYBE THIS HEAVY AND OBVIOUS OBJECT THAT IS HELD UP BY A STRING MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT).

Really, the game only works when it comes to atmosphere, something that is sadly hampered by the corridor-layout and ridiculousness of some of the environment. Oh! and the physics engine (a purely technical merit that is strangely lauded by many anti-technical gamers).

Portal: Sometimes, i think comparing Portal to any other game would be wrong, as it was an indie-length game with triple A-polish. Limited gameplay that centered around ONE feature and nothing more, puzzles that were forgettable (not terrible, just so and so) and small glimpses of story. The game is well-rounded and polished, but its easy to achieve this when you do so little.

EDIT:

josephmatthew10:
No, no, no, and *no*. Sir, I'd recommend a doctor. ASAP.

I recommend reading up on Opinions, then shutting the hell up.

Red Dead Redemption, Left4Dead, Call of Duty, Battlefield, but my number one...

Bioshock. Really good game, but most people treat this game like it's the holy grail of xbox games. Too me, it's a one and done game, fun the first time, but no reply value and the first time did not make me go "WOW THAT BLEW MY MIND!"

Or in other words lets bitch about popular games we dont like

ha joking...I guess you could say S.T.A.K.L.E.R. kinda boring

The legend of zelda series.
*casts flame shield,equips flame proof armor and covers behind purple flame shield*

In every game the point is the same.
Evil dude, Princess ,hero in pointy hat and three triangles.
Done over and over and over and over and over again.
Yes setting differs but when you get your boomerang, hook shot, forest temple, fire area, bomb, Enemies that are bigger, enemies that need to be hit from behind *insert more generic points here*

Skyward sword? The same game... but now in sky..
Next thing link probly walks in space and zelda gets bdsm suit

StrangerQ:
The legend of zelda series.
*casts flame shield,equips flame proof armor and covers behind purple flame shield*

In every game the point is the same.
Evil dude, Princess ,hero in pointy hat and three triangles.
Done over and over and over and over and over again.
Yes setting differs but when you get your boomerang, hook shot, forest temple, fire area, bomb, Enemies that are bigger, enemies that need to be hit from behind *insert more generic points here*

Skyward sword? The same game... but now in sky..
Next thing link probly walks in space and zelda gets bdsm suit

So, so true. In fact, Nintendo as a whole is over-rated I'd reckon. Sure, their tech has become innovative, but they are the worst peddlers of IP. How many times have they released the original Mario now? I mean, more than half of the games for the 3DS are the same bloody games that already exist, but in 3D-o-vision. oooooooh

josephmatthew10:

Legion IV:

josephmatthew10:

Easy, now, I've never played any FF (gotten mixed repots as to which ones were good or not) and I certainly don't want to send you spiraling into cynicism. I'm willing (cautously) to accept that those games seriously aren't your cup of tea, and you could probably supply... somewhat decent reasons as to why.

So, uh, have you played Portal 2?

I actually Loved portal 2 :) The single player was alright i was never a fan of the story of the portal series it just wasn't my style of comedy? Not much into dark humor i guess but what made me LOVE portal 2. Was the co-op and Atlas and p-body :) Those guys are awesome, the puzzles were so involving and actually very ninja and fast paced style like you'll have to be falling then quickly shoot or time something with your buddy. The single player i thought was much more slow paced and didn't require you to react fast. The puzzles in co-op and even some in single player were very well done. my only beef is one thing. THE RAILINGS! there all over the place and yet you cant jump on them. I also wasn't a fan of the more linear and 1 solution only style of puzzles in the single player. I didn't mine wheatly though.

Aristotle vs SPIKY MASHPLATE. Oh man and the ending them of co-op (Pretty sure its called Robots FTW) is in my ipod so amazing :). Well my bad i turned my whole response into gushing about portal 2. While am at it I'll quickly say why i could not get into Shadow and even Pysco. It was simply just the stories, the game play was alright in both. But the stories i just didn't like. Am a big story guy so if i cant relate or something i hate the game. Like the wanderer is SO STUPID! YES lets ruin this world because i lost the one i loved THAT MAKES PERFECT SENCE! Pysco just didn't really meld with me and the fact that it was hyped to the endth degree by my friend it was doomed to have the DNF effect.

Half life2? Just there was no story, i didnt like the game play and the driving was just terrible. I jumped out of the buggy after having it stuck like permanently STUCK so i went okay well never liked it anyways, i walked ALL the way over there. "Hey gordan you need the buggy" WHAT!!. (reload save from like 2 hours ago)

Am gonna end this with that sure i may not like these games and even hate some but i can easily respect ALL of them for breaking grounds in there genres and story telling. Just like how i see Resident evil 1-3 as the epitomy of survival horror (plus i love the story to :))

Whoa a lot typed there.

L3m0n_L1m3:
I think any Call of Duty game past 4 is overrated.

So predictable.

How about we add: "Besides Call of Duty" to the OP? All we are going to get are a bunch of Call of Duty mentions.

minecraft, in fact its so overrated ima go play it.

Well bare in mind that Final Fantasy I-VI (excluding III) were ported to the PSone, but were still left unplayed by a great many of those who were introduced to the series with VII. The thing is, following VII, the Final Fantasy became something of an entirely new entity, judged by completely different standards. The earlier titles (I predict) didn't match the expectations of new fans who had come to associate the series with huge sweeping drama, convoluted plots, and (let's be honest) 3D graphics.
As much as I love VII, I hate the fact that it so drastically changed the nature and standards of the franchise. It started us on the slippery slope that has now led us to Final Fantasy XIII

Call of Duty, Halo, Fable, Bioshock.

Halo (2-X CE was good)

Call of Duty (post MW1)

Mass Effect (shut up I want to shoot things)

Dragon Age (shut up I want to stab things)

Final Fantasy VII

Kingdom Hearts (all)

I will say Halo and CoD, they are good games but developers took them as the pinnacle of innovation and pushed shooters into new levels of crippled gameplay, not cool.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked