Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Crono1973:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really? You want to be able to unrealistically jump over people? And run faster than the horses?

Yes because casting fire from the palm of your hand is realistic. Realistic arguments hold no value when talking about a fantasy game.

And when in other fantasy games have you been able to level up a skill to outrun horses and jump over houses? Please name one. Name a game where wizards jump 190 feet in the air nothing. Can't do it can you?

Pick a better argument. There's a great many flaws in your points:

Crono1973:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

Useless skills that made the game wacky when leveled up. Glad they got rid of these skill, they served next to no purpose. Plus how would it work in Skyrim's perk system without it getting stupid?

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

Thank you for being so informative of this decision. You just said it was worse and left it at that. No support, no nothing. That's like a comedian that sets up a punchline, drops the mic, and leaves. No point.

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

It's better than looking like a cheesy fantasy print. The UI works better than the Oblivion UI in terms of functionality.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

Couldn't sort you stuff in Oblivion either. Also just put your stuff on and go 3rd person. Problem solved.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

The PS3 is the only console experiencing that so that's not a complete argument. On my PC Skyrim runs just as fine as Oblivion.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

So did you play the game or are you just reading someone else's points from a different forum? Not really sure about that last part there.

Here's one thing that sets back any point you make for Oblivion. In Skyrim you don't need to sleep to level.

You can't attack while jumping or falling... That's it.

I played Oblivion through alot. Skyrim is better for me. The lack of seeing-character-in-inventory is pretty much the only downside, and I'm not particularly bothered by that. The entire inventory/level/favourites/2-h system is better as far as I'm concerned, I like the slo-mo kills and the differences in power attacks. It doesn't have irritating Oblivion Towers everywhere. Some of the creatures are irritatingly hard, but I just run away now. 360 performance is pretty simmilar. Slightly longer loading, but then it's a bigger game with more voice actors and a more open-ended feeling.

Hmm. Alright, I can think of a few ways Oblivion is better than Skyrim.

1) It plays on my cheap POS computer.
2) Custom spells are fun break the game with
3) Using the above (and enchanting), achieving 100% chameleon/spell absorption
4) Buying food from an inn, bottling all the stuff into fatigue potions, and selling it back to the inn (those inkeepers aren't the brightest bulbs, are they)
5) Using alchemy to boost your intelligence, letting you make a better fortify intelligence potion (to make an even better one, ad infinitum)
6) Using paintpots to make a stairway TO THE HEAVENS!
7) player.modpcs Acrobatics 99999. BOING!
8) Making myself an Imperial male.. that's light purple and is about 70% nose. FEAR ME, FOR I AM SNIFFTOR THE IMMORTAL!

That's all I got, though most of them are exploits and the first one is not a reason at all.

Crono1973:
To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

...That is one of the SINGLE saddest, most emotionally devoid things I have EVER read. You're not really a fan of video games if that is how you really feel; You're a fan of numbers, not fun.

And that's terrible.

OP: I've found vanilla Skyrim to be superior in every single way to vanilla Oblivion. And fuck everyone else, I like the UI.

I have only witnessed my house-mate playing the game, so this is literally an observers point of view. With that in mind:

Arse all.

Creating your own spells is pretty much the only thing I can see myself missing when I buy the game. Outside of random loot Oblivion never felt rewarding when you explored simply because it was all identical and there were very few things going on in dungeons. Skyrim just looks and, I imagine, feels more like a mythical land than a countryside wander with the odd bandit encounter.

Oblivion had a counter-productive levelling system which punished you for using the skills your favour most, while Skyrim takes the exact opposite approach so I don't end up worrying every time I go to level-up and see I haven't got the required 5 in Endurance not to be owned by a bear.

Skyrim makes you feel special: sure, anyone can kill a dragon if they are strong enough, but only you can use the god-like powers you gain from their souls. Oblivion gave you very little in that sense. Hell, the plot in Oblivion was so dull I simply never bothered, I felt I had to make my own story. Skyrim gives me all the pieces (towns with stories, dungeons with little plots of their own, a sense of civil unrest, etc.) so if I choose to make my own story it doesn't feel like I'm playing video-game assisted make-believe rather than actually playing a character in a game.

Vanguard_Ex:

Crono1973:

Vanguard_Ex:
Are you shitting me?

Oblivion's character creation was fucking dire, Skyrim's absolutely destroys it.

Ok, what can you do in the character creator for Skyrim that you couldn't do in Oblivion?

Make characters of the same race that are genuinely distinguishable from one another. Oblivion's could recolour them and all that but honestly, they all looked basically the same and facial structure for every member of each respective race looked identical. Skyrim's allows you to actually customise your character easily and coherently.

That's just saying there are more/better models (ie, more presets). That isn't saying that the actual character creator (which is a tool, not a collection of models) is better. Generally speaking, a tool with more options is superior than one with fewer options.

Being able to change the hair color in Oblivion is changing the color of the hair. Doing it in Skyrim is loading the next model.

Fawxy:

Crono1973:
To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

...That is one of the SINGLE saddest, most emotionally devoid things I have EVER read. You're not really a fan of video games if that is how you really feel; You're a fan of numbers, not fun.

And that's terrible.

OP: I've found vanilla Skyrim to be superior in every single way to vanilla Oblivion. And fuck everyone else, I like the UI.

When you see a wolf, what do you do? When you see a rat, what do you do? When you see a bear, what do you do?

I'll bet in all three cases you click the left mouse button or hit the right trigger. Do you really care that they have different avatars? If so then fine but I'll bet after you see a few hundred of them, you won't care anymore.

lunncal:
Eh, I don't actually agree with any of those points at all. The one about performance issues on the PS3 might be true enough, but I have it on the 360 and have had no issues, so I wouldn't know.

Now... ways in which Oblivion is better than Skyrim...

Hm...

Oh! I thought the ending of the Dark Brotherhood storyline was a little weaker than in Oblivion. That's all I can come up with as of right now, but I'm sure I'll find more issues. I am only about 50 hours in, after all.

I haven't finished the DH quest line yet, that's a little disappointing because the concept of the Night mother missing seemed interesting.

All in all I find Skyrim a far superior experience, OP sounds like a troll the way he continues to write off dragons as the fighting the same thing as rats or wolves. Dragons fly, breathe health raping fire, can show up anywhere randomly, and can kill your allies by snatching them off the ground and dropping them 80 ft on a rock.

Rats and wolves.... run at you... and bite you.

Also, I found out the hard way, but apparently Alduin, the final boss, travels around the map in real time, so you can technically fight him whenever you want if you run into him. Except that without those extra NPCs you get during the legit fight at the end of the game he's nigh impossible to damage.

My biggest gripe is the Mages College questline. It was too short, and the ending felt phoned in. Can someone explain to me how using one macguffin to shoot another macguffin while some thalmor guy get's beaten to death by icewraiths qualifies me to be the arch-mage of the college? Literally ANYONE could have done what your character did, all it requires is to shoot the orb with the staff, it didn't test my magical abilities AT ALL.

Syzygy23:

lunncal:
Eh, I don't actually agree with any of those points at all. The one about performance issues on the PS3 might be true enough, but I have it on the 360 and have had no issues, so I wouldn't know.

Now... ways in which Oblivion is better than Skyrim...

Hm...

Oh! I thought the ending of the Dark Brotherhood storyline was a little weaker than in Oblivion. That's all I can come up with as of right now, but I'm sure I'll find more issues. I am only about 50 hours in, after all.

OP sounds like a troll the way he continues to write off dragons as the fighting the same thing as rats or wolves.

Define Troll?

Hint: Having a different opinion than you does not make me a troll.

Alright, I give up. Skyrim is PERFECT!

If I had to complain I wished the dragons were a bit tougher. I am sitting on 20 dragon souls, 60 something bones and 58 scales. Not one dragon has been able to kill me yet. Either my guy is just that good or the dragons are just lizards with a gland disorder. I also don't like that you can't do alchemy anywhere anymore. It makes more realistic sense but having to visit a lab is a bit inconvenient. Also, and this just might be the Red Dead fan in me but I get the horses in the game run when theres trouble, horses aren't known to be the bravest animals in the world. But when they run can you give us a way to call them back to us?! I'm sick of having to run after the thing after a fight. And will they stay out of a fight as well?! I don't need your help Seabiscuit! I've gone through 3 horses because they think I need help! I hate the new map, and I hate that I can't use weapons or spells while on a horse (is it too much to ask to be able to use clairvoyance while riding?!). And lastly the fucking spiders. Why spiders Bethesda?!

But other than that I love the game. The new leveling system is excellent and my guy is getting stronger in the things I want him to be strong in. And adding werewolfs was awesome! I hated being a vampire in Oblivion, too many rules. Being a werewolf however really has no drawbacks. You don't get a well rested bonus when you sleep (I don't care because I usually sleep when I want to past the time) and you can only change once a day ( and I only change when in big trouble). Other than that I can do what I want and get a 100% disease resistance in the process marvelous!

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

And that's terrible.

When you see a wolf, what do you do? When you see a rat, what do you do? When you see a bear, what do you do?

I'll bet in all three cases you click the left mouse button or hit the right trigger. Do you really care that they have different avatars? If so then fine but I'll bet after you see a few hundred of them, you won't care anymore.

When I see a rat, I immediately charge at it and take it down because I know they are nothing more than a minor nuisance.

When I see a wolf, I hesitate slightly, because experience has taught me that they like to attack in groups and if I rush in I will probably be flanked. So, I try and damage them as much as I can with ranged/magic attacks before eventually using Area of Effect spells when the group of them gets close.

When I see a bear, I do my best to avoid it, because I know they are generally solitary and like to charge straight in, doing a great deal of damage. If I do manage to attract one's attention, I try to keep as much distance between myself and it as possible, not allowing it to sink it's powerful jaws into me. I make my best effort to stun it with magic, then flank it with sword attacks.

In short? You're entirely wrong.

Sorry, but most gamers aren't pathetic enough to break an incredibly imaginative, artistic experience down into "just a series of button presses". If that's your viewpoint, then something is wrong with YOU, not the game.

I strated to think about ways in which Oblivion is better but then i remembered the main plot of Oblivion.

OH GOD MY BRAIN IS HURTING FROM STUPID

As for me, Oblivion is inferior in a way that it still dreams itself as a full-fledged RPG, not an action RPG which it is. Skyrim is at least fair with itself.

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

And that's terrible.

When I see a rat, I immediately charge at it and take it down because I know they are nothing more than a minor nuisance.

When I see a wolf, I hesitate slightly, because experience has taught me that they like to attack in groups and if I rush in I will probably be flanked. So, I try and damage them as much as I can with ranged/magic attacks before eventually using Area of Effect spells when the group of them gets close.

When I see a bear, I do my best to avoid it, because I know they are generally solitary and like to charge straight in, doing a great deal of damage. If I do manage to attract one's attention, I try to keep as much distance between myself and it as possible, not allowing it to sink it's powerful jaws into me. I make my best effort to stun it with magic, then flank it with sword attacks.

Sorry, but most gamers aren't pathetic enough to break an incredibly imaginative, artistic experience down into "just a series of button presses". If that's your viewpoint, then something is wrong with YOU, not the game.

Of course, I already said that Skyrim is PERFECT!

Kahunaburger:

Crono1973:
let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none.

In their tongue he is Movakiin, Mudcrab-born!

I dunno, man, doesn't sound quite the same.

I don't know, Giant enemy mudcrabs would be sweet...

Crono1973:

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

Completly agree with these points, what the hell do you mean I can look in depth at every item but not see if it goes together with my character without pausing and looking for a lot of light?

and the character design in the opening, wow, i'd love to ,you know, see the detail on my characters face so I can see what moving this little bar across does but being 5 miles away from my character makes it pretty pointless.

other than that, BEST GAME EVER!

Darkmantle:

I'm sorry, but 40% of your complaints stem from "I don't like the UI"

that's the best you got?

When the UI (the thing you have to use constantly) sucks there is a major problem with the game. I feel as a PC gamer the real slap in the face over the UI is that its the console UI, which was designed the way it was to work for people who can't use a mouse and keyboard to play. When you have those two things the way it is set up is so ass backwards its made me stop playing until a mod to fix it comes out.

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

And that's terrible.

Your argument only holds in Oblivion, which has horribly simple monsters.

In Skyrim:

If I see a rat, I swing once carelessly and kill it.

If I see a bear, I cast Stoneskin (flesh?) and get my twich finger on the heal button before going in.

If I see a dragon, I pull out the bow or Lightning Bolt and look for places to find cover from the breath attacks while taking shots I can make. I time Unrelenting Force to interrupt breath attacks while the dragon is on the ground then sprint towards it. I then cast Lightning Cloak and pace my swings between regular and power attacks while accompanying with short bursts of Sparks, making sure I don't deplete my mana entirely so I can heal when the dragon takes flight. Repeat that a few times until the dragon is ~20% and won't fly anymore and then pull out the stops. In the meanwhile, I'm making sure my companion does not get killed and have to plan my shouts so that I don't hit guards/townspeople.

You are right in the sense that its all just numbers in the end, but the avatar type dictates the general behavior in combat and dragons, with their swoops, breath weapons, etc, are much more interesting to fight than a brute with a powerful "whack" attack.

Feel like I may as well weigh in on this one since it's about a topic I have put a lot of thought into. I'll start by saying I love Skyrim and I think it's a better game than Oblivion. However there are many things I preferred in Oblivion. Pretty much everything else is done better or is equalled by Skyrim. Note this ignores all graphical updates as it's an unfair way to compare games from such a time gap.

1. The Character Creator

When creating a character in Skyrim I was honestly disapointed in the options available. It just seemed like so little compared to it's predecessor. Any stupid creations from the system is player choice and shouldn't be held against the system... plus it's funny.

2. Magic

The number of magical effects usable feels limited when there are only pre-set spells (and less of them) and while I certainly felt more like an epic caster in Skyrim I miss the variation in Oblivion's spells and the ability to combine effects into a custom spell. The magic system in Skyrim just feels dumbed down, and yet more epic. Also the fact I have to equip spells in the place of weapons and lack of the hotkeys means I spend a stupid amount of time in Skyrim accessing menus... annoying, fiddly menus which brings me to:

3: The UI

Oh god it's so damn boring and fiddly. In Oblivion you get a detailed, decorative loadout complete with your character model, not the plain uninteresting thing that Skyrim forces you to wrestle with every time you want to do anything. At least Oblivion lets you click on a tab when you want to select it. Trying to choose options in Skyrim can select a different option from the one your mouse is over, close the menu or even have it ignore you altogether. Oblivion wins on this one by far. Unless a major rehaul of the damn thing is done.

4: The Setting

I love dragons. Although recently I see them more as flying pest than anything else, they haven't posed a challenge since level 15 and I'm around 25 by now. And the world of Skyrim certainly is an exotic land and has breathtaking scenarios that cause Oblivions repeated dungeons shame, but I prefer Cyrodiil as a setting. The Oblivion crisis just seems so much more dramatic than the dragons after a while. I mean both have a similar end of world theme but Oblivion gates made it feel like hell was actually at your doorstop. Whereas the dragons are just starting to be annoying now. Also I feel like Cyrodiil provides a better setting for many mods because it has such a range of climate. Skyrim just seems like there is less potential mod wise (I may be proven wrong on this but eh).

Plus I get the feeling that in a years time, the game I will go back to will be Oblivion no matter how much better Skyrim is...

AzrealMaximillion:
Couldn't sort you stuff in Oblivion either.

Filthy Console Gaming Pleb Detected. I know I sorted the shit out of my inventory in Oblivion.

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

Starting a massive argument, and then running away midway through when it's quite obvious you can't support the points you're making is a great way to get yourself called the t-word by some of the more aggressive members on the board. Not that I would ever do such a thing.

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

Starting a massive argument, and then running away midway through when it's quite obvious you can't support the points you're making is a great way to get yourself called the t-word by some of the more aggressive members on the board. Not that I would ever do such a thing.

I have supported my argument for 7 pages now, that's enough. On this board it's clear that if one doesn't think Skyrim to be the second coming of Christ then they are a troll.

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

I have supported my argument for 7 pages now, that's enough. On this board it's clear that if one doesn't think Skyrim to be the second coming of Christ then they are a troll.

I'm not saying that Skyrim is perfect. I love it, but it isn't perfect.

That being said, when you are basing your "argument" around pure objectivity as well as factually incorrect statements, you shouldn't be surprised when people make that assumption.

I, as well as many others, would have been alright with your criticism had it been valid. Unfortunately for you, it wasn't. Better luck next time.

Fawxy:

Crono1973:

Fawxy:

I'm not saying that Skyrim is perfect. I love it, but it isn't perfect.

That being said, when you are basing your "argument" around pure objectivity as well as factually incorrect statements, you shouldn't be surprised when people make that assumption.

I, as well as many others, would have been alright with your criticism had it been valid. Unfortunately for you, it wasn't. Better luck next time.

Whatever buddy, Skyrim is PERFECT!

Saris Kai:

AzrealMaximillion:

Filthy Console Gaming Pleb Detected. I know I sorted the shit out of my inventory in Oblivion.

Nice Try, playing Skyrim on PC. Played Oblivion without Mods on PC as well. Can't sort in the inventory without mods.

And try to be more intelligent when dealing with people. Randomly calling people console plebs with have you looking like quite the troll.

AzrealMaximillion:

Saris Kai:

AzrealMaximillion:

Nice Try, playing Skyrim on PC. Played Oblivion without Mods on PC as well. Can't sort in the inventory without mods.

And try to be more intelligent when dealing with people. Randomly calling people console plebs with have you looking like quite the troll.

Yes, you can sort the inventory in Oblivion without mods. You can sort by Weight, Value, Offense/Defense and health.

hazabaza1:
I can't think of a single way that Oblivion is better. Honestly.

The hilarious guards....Not sure if that counts though.

OT: I don't agree but I wont argue about it, these threads were inevitable. The same happened with people saying morrowind was the second coming compared to skyrim.

Crono1973:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

Yeah, true...because jumping up and down and running around was such an awesome way to level.

Crono1973:

Whhhaaaaa...? Which Oblivion are we talking about here? The Elderscrolls IV right? You must be high. The character options in Oblivion were horrendous, and the NPC's all looked weird and lumpy. The character creator in Skyrim actually allows you to create a realistic looking protagonist if you take your time.

Crono1973:
- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

The UI was designed for simplicity and aesthetics. I'm pretty pleased with it, needs a few tweaks on PC but I'm sure it functions well on console. Even so, it looks great and is pretty intuitive. The old parchment look of Oblivion's UI wouldn't fit with the caliber of Skyrim's art design, I think.

Crono1973:

Maybe there was a mod or something that I didn't use, but I'm pretty sure that Oblivion's inventory UI had the same functionality as Skyrim's. With several improvements made in Skyrim, actually. I think the minimalistic inventory UI in Skyrim is easy to use and good looking. It does need a few tweaks on the PC, though.

Crono1973:
- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

I don't have it for PS3. This game should be played on a PC, anyways. TES was always meant for PC, but yeah of course its not going to perform as well as Oblivion because Oblivion's graphics are generations old. Even older than FO3. Why the hell would you expect a newer game to run as well as a game that's 5 years old on the same platform?

I honestly can't think of any aspect of Oblivion that hasn't been improved on in Skyrim. My only suggestion to you would be to stop playing it on PS3 and try it on PC.

I could play Oblivion without it dropping to 20FPS unless I turned the draw distance way down.

To anyone bitching about character creation, you can manipulate every feature, But it comes with presets for people to use.

Fawxy:

...is a great way to get yourself called the t-word by some of the more aggressive members on the board.

I thought that was evident from the title of the thread.

I've played all of an hour of Oblivion, but the map is the only deprovement I can think off. Skyrim's is pretty, it's difficult to debate otherwise, but I find the fact that you can alter the angle, the 3D element to it, and the moving clouds overhead make it difficult to see where your going some times.

I've seen complaints about things like shield bumping being overpowered, or that X setup makes the game to easy, etc. Then by all means, DON'T USE IT THEN. If people are seriously complaining that an OPTION is not to their liking, then they should stop complaining, and just don't pick that freaking option!

Frankly, I think Skyrim is superior in every way save for the above, which is just a matter of preference. Adaptability, better graphics, dragons, I prefer the user interface very neat, duel wielding, dragons, improved 3rd person view, better scenery, a rather interesting sub-plot of rebellion (though I've barely played Oblivion, so that may be present as well), dragons, cooler skills menu, dragons.

Did I mention dragons? If not, dragons.

I don't want to debate the fact, but why do you believe the character creator worse?

I guess I only agree with you about the ui OP. No athletics makes companions seem much more useful since I can't outrun them unless I sprint. To me this is more important than speed increases. It felt broken how high I could jump some times.

also the char creator seemed comparable to me. And best of all people don't look quite as bland and homogenous.

You lost me with your quality point though. I was under the impression that you can't change settings on ps3.....

Virmire:
I've played all of an hour of Oblivion, but the map is the only deprovement I can think off. Skyrim's is pretty, it's difficult to debate otherwise, but I find the fact that you can alter the angle, the 3D element to it, and the moving clouds overhead make it difficult to see where your going some times.

Frankly, I think Skyrim is superior in every way save for the above, which is just a matter of preference. Adaptability, better graphics, dragons, I prefer the user interface very neat, duel wielding, dragons, improved 3rd person view, better scenery, a rather interesting sub-plot of rebellion (though I've barely played Oblivion, so that may be present as well), dragons, cooler skills menu, dragons.

Did I mention dragons? If not, dragons.

I've seen complaints about things like shield bumping being overpowered, or that X setup makes the game to easy, etc. Then by all means, DON'T USE IT THEN. If people are seriously complaining that an OPTION is not to their liking, then they should stop complaining, and just don't pick that freaking option!

Well in the same light, people didn't have to use Athletics or Acrobatics as Major Skills in previous TES games but they did and then they complain that those skills break the game. Those skills were always optional, just like every other skill. When those skills were dropped because Todd Howard didn't like choosing a class in Oblvion, all of a sudden people act like athletics and acrobatics were required major skills. Oh and before I forget:

Did I mention that Skyrim is PERFECT!

Joseph Harrison:
Hey I saw this exact same topic when Oblivion came out except it was how Morrowind was superior to Oblivion. Talk about an unpleasable fanbase

That happens when a developer takes away from the experience each sequel and instead improves on graphics. The series was seriously dumbbed down with each iteration. The only thing that allowed Oblivion rise above Morrowind in my opinion was the mods.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked