The last game that made you say "...WOW"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Driver San Fransisco, on two seperate occasions, and I'm not even in the last couple of acts!

Sexy Beach 3.

As in, "WOW! I cant believe my wife wanted me to get this so she could play it....(-3-)"

SW:TOR
I was amazed at how buggy, laggy and shit that whole game was

I'm gonna jump on the Skyrim bandwagon, or better yet the Bethesda bandwagon. I've clocked in over 300 hours each in both Skyrim and Oblivion, both had countless WOW moments.

In Skyrim it was pretty much everytime I entered a dungeon/cave/ruin or those parts in the dungeon when your companion says something like "You don't see that every day hurr hurr" I tend to agree with them. Usually that or everytime I'm walking around The Reach and you see the northern lights, I usually just tend to put down the controller and stare in awe.

In Oblivion the only real one I remember was when you first leave the sewers, and you go from the darkness and browns and emerge into this bright, vibrant, almost painting like world that is just HUGE. A similar moment was when you first leave the vault in Fallout 3, going from dark techno-ridden corridors to just vast wasteland.

Arkham City. The whole game on hard mode was an intesne thrill with some great set pieces and moments.

my most remembered Wow moment was during MGS 2, right at the end

Yes i know it came out years ago, but i'm an xbox user, i didn't have Metal Gear until recently.

When I found out about the famous armory glitch in Borderlands: Secret Armory (only have that dlc since 2 weeks).

AC:Brotherhood, very happy with it. The Assassin management is just so much damn fun.

That's why it makes me sad to hear that the series has kind of overstayed its welcome with Revelations, and I hope they pick it back up again for AC3. Especially since they can make the game work with guns. Colonial times, anyone?

To be honest and forward to your question "what made me say 'wow' about a game even before I have a chance to play it?" Actually the game isn't out yet, but Bioshock: Infinite. The trailer and all of its gooey goodness made me 'wow' by the first minute.

Of games I actually got to play after the 'wow factor' I would say The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It was pretty much everything I was hoping for and more, and then later when they released the official timeline it made it all the sweeter.

Getting off the boat in the first 10 or so hours of Dragon Quest VIII and seeing how stupidly big the world was.

Absolutely detesting Skyrim with every ounce of fiber in my body...then seeing the time 8 hours later as I met Paarthunax and looked down from the throat of the world. Took me by surprise, and fair play for turning my opinions around.

Continuing the Elder Scrolls theme, stepping out of the sewers in Oblivion for the first time, in 2006, when God of War was considered to be essentially real-life in terms of graphics. Speaking of which- seeing God of War III in action, too. It's insanely good.

Oh, and the opening of Arkham City. I winced when you got hit by the pipe, I was totally sucked in. There's quite an embarrassingly large list for me :(

MGS2, WOW 7 cutscenes in a row again game? Fuck off!

Y'know if I skipped all the cutscenes in that game it'd be about 5 hours long... Still watching Raiden object to absolutely everything anyone says is fun enough to warrant sitting though the hour long cutscene marathons. Barely

"You must walk through this door Raiden!"

"But sir! There's no way i could do that alone!"

Half of his dialogue right there

I only say wow in the deadpan "are you shitting me? You can fuck right off!" kinda way anyway. So no chance to cite awesomeness in this particular thread.

*Plays air guitar*

I can't recall what was the last game that made me... er, "wow". Probably Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood since it's in fucking Rome.

theres this one sense in Kotor 2, in fact there are in the game but this one inpertcular, when you met all 3 of the jedi council at the same time, it was so well done everything: the writing and music was all done so very well and the impact it had on the story add so much to the effect.

Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2

Haven't read other relies to the OP but hey, even if it has been said; a lot more people have to admit they said it.

Skyrim.

There, I said it - it's a good game and pre-release I was dying inside to play it.

Also, Halo Reach.

Also, RDR.

Also, Fallout 3.

Also, BF3.

Also, GoW 3.

Also, Halo 3 did.

Also, I hate to admit, MW2. Though it was one of those games you get to play and just completely regret it.

Also, I spit on the case of MW3. Except I don't even think it is worth that.

The last game to do that was batman arkham city for me.

Deadly Premonition, but mainly because of it's reputation. I was half expecting it to suck, and especially after the introductory level. However, after that level, I was immediately treated to a long, hearty game with loveable characters and an incredibly interesting murder mystery with an aura of Twin Peaks, which happens to be my favorite television show of all time. The plot completely made up for the occasionally awful gameplay. It was one of those things that had you thinking "Who is the killer?" the whole way through. It has a town full of characters, most with incentives for committing the crime, and it makes sure to keep the player on the edge of their seat the whole time.

It has become rarer as I play more games but mine would be in no particular order

Portal 2
Mass effect 1 and 2
halo reach
Mirrors edge
Crysis 1 (incredible graphics and destructible environments that for a focused FPS were huge)

these are just from the last 5 years I have more from before then but anything more than 5 years I do not consider recent and My expectations are A lot higher than they use to be

MichiganMuscle77:
I was cleaning out some old boxes today and found an issue of PC Gamer from 2004, detailing the upcoming Half-Life 2.

I looked through the article and suddenly remember that feeling of wonder I had when I first read the article back in 04. I was just awestruck by the game.

When I finally got a new computer and bought the game in 05, it blew me away. Even everything I'd read up to that point didn't prepare me for the scale and the mood of the game.

Now, I know there's been a lot of talk lately about "what's so good about Half-Life 2 anyway?", but that's not what I want to discuss here. What I want to discuss is that feeling of wonder and amazement that just seems to be... GONE.

Yeah, there have been plenty of truly great new games, plenty of games that are beautiful and have amazing moments, but none of them seem to have that same "magic" that Half-Life 2 did, at least for me.

I was enamored by Perfect Dark, I couldn't get enough information about it and I could not wait to get out of school to go home and play it for the first time.

I waited in line at midnight to get San Andreas so I could be one of the first to play it.

Grand Theft Auto III sold me a PlayStation 2, Grand Theft Auto IV sold me a PlayStation 3.

But even when a great game like Red Dead Redemption was announced, I couldn't get very excited for it. I LOVE RDR, I think it's an excellent game, but... there's just no magic there.

I really enjoy the Uncharted series and was very excited for Uncharted 3, but again, there was just no magic.

Portal 2 is the only game in recent memory that was truly a classic experience for me - wanting a game for so long, and that feeling of enchantment when finally playing it...

But it's so rare these days... and a lot of it has to do with innovation and creativity.

I wasn't so excited about RDR because it basically was just going to be Grand Theft Auto with horses, and I knew that. Uncharted 2 and 3 didn't really excite me a whole lot because they were basically just Uncharted 1 with some fancier locations, set pieces and graphics.

What's the last game that truly made you say "WOW", before you even got to play it?

Do you think we'll see many more of those games in the future, or will the gaming industry continue its path to being "the new Hollywood", where the majority of games are created because someone in a suit and tie wants to buy another Ferrari?

probably Saints Row 3 for the over the top essence of the game.

Soxafloppin:
X-men :Destiny, but that was WOW, what a piece of shit.

I SEE WAT U DID THAR.

Recently, Batman: Arkham City made me slack jawed at the detail put into the game; Not just visually, but the gameplay was varied and interesting. Plus I applaud Rocksteady for giving new depth to the stealth/predator sections, fixing the broken combat, and making actual boss battles, cool ones too!

Every time I find a colossus in SotC the game puts me into temporary shock at its scale and detail. Recently I bought the HD Ico collection, I'm ready to get my mind blown again! IN HIGH DEFINITION!!!

Dragon Age 2 - I was so hyped for this game that just having it in my possession was a 'wow' moment. The game was damn good to boot even if didn't live up to the original.

Arkham City was the last game whose gameplay lead to a couple 'wow' moments. The first of which was during the opening sequence where the character Croc is introduced in all his creepy glory. The second of which came from the first Scarecrow sequence.

Before that would be Resident Evil 4 for several sections including:
- Initial Village attack
- El Gigante appearance
- Act 2-2 staying alive in the house while 'zombies' overwhelm you
- Salazar Statue chase sequence
- Krauzer hand to hand sequence
- Regenerators section in act 5

RazielXT:
Last time it was yesterday, playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution the part where

they were going to use that as a hub :(
another cut feature, shame really.

legendp:

My expectations are A lot higher than they use to be

Comes with age and general experience, really. Even in the context of simple gaming.

For example, I can only excuse so much of a graphics sacrifice for gameplay. I can still play older games like Quake 2 (But not 1) and Morrowind, but I couldn't play FF7. Due to its limitations.

I am easily impressed, and will say Wow to most games... The last game I started was Rage, and I said it a few times during the short playthrough I had with it!

Other than that I said it a few times on the short play I have had of Skyrim too! The first was when I saw the glimpse of the Dragon behind the mountain during the opening sequence (the one where if you are looking in a different direction you would have missed, luckily I just happened to see it!)

I started final fantasy tactics A2 the other day too, I said wow when I had my first hard battle, where I had to really plan my moves in advance, and sacrafice some offensive turns to heal and cure! I did beat the Blue King though all under level 25, using a lot of items, and sheer luck!! He had a random move that could 1HKO any of my characters... :S, and he had over 500 life and I could only take of around 20 life per hit with my strongest character.. The sheer strategy involved and the tough battle made me say Wow!

The Last game I said "wow" was probably the Witcher 2.

Probably while being chased by a giant in skyrim when I was low level where they can bat you skyhigh and ran into a group of bandits that got attacked by a bear while a dragon was breathing fire at everybody.

I was playing Halo Reach legendary alone at the end where you fight multiple waves of convenant with very few checkpoints. I have no idea what possessed me but instead of dread I reached some gamer zen level and went through every single one without even dying. When the door opened where you have to man the turret I was shocked how quick it all went.

dimensional:

Quellist:

Scarim Coral:
Xenoblade Chroncile (seriously you got to buy that game).

The map/area in that game is huge, really huge. If you see something in the distance you CAN reach it, heck it can take an hour or two for just exploring a single area!
What make this even more shocking is that the game is on the Wii, of all console and no the graphic isn't bad well probably less than average compare to your fancy HD super realistic graphic.

This 100%. Xeno pretty much restored my faith in JRPGs

Same here I can remember exactly how many games made me think `Wow` since I started gaming approx twenty years ago and that is two Xenoblade Chronicles is one and FFVII was the other I usually follow games im interested in so the wow factor dosent really enter into it when I play as its usually a known quantity but these two just blew me away.

Damn man, you guys are getting me stoked for this game.

When I saw that FF9 still looks amazing, the drawn backgrounds do not age at all!

Xiroh86:
Uncharted 2 and 3. They are some of the most "WOW moment" games to date. One of my favorite wow moments was in 3 when you wander the desert. the way Naughty Dog handled that sequence made you feel for Nate, and, at least for me, made me feel as if I was wandering the Rub'al Kahli with him.

Rub'al Kahli!?! Firstborn!!! FIRSTBORN!!!!!!!!!

I remember exclaiming "Wow!" when I first found a copy of Necrovision in Gameworld: a FPS set in a supernatural horror themed WW1 with trenches stuffed with undead soldiers, zombie Dragons soaring over No Man's land and demons!?! Sign me up!

Seeing the trailer for "The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth" as a 12 year old kid got me really excited.
That and World of Warcraft; I just got blown away by how big it was.

Scarim Coral:

The map/area in that game is huge, really huge. If you see something in the distance you CAN reach it, heck it can take an hour or two for just exploring a single area!
What make this even more shocking is that the game is on the Wii, of all console and no the graphic isn't bad well probably less than average compare to your fancy HD super realistic graphic.

I've been pondering on getting that game for a long time now.
Can you name any negative points you have experienced.
If those aren't deal-breakers for me, I might actually get it next paycheck.

Ranorak:

Scarim Coral:

The only (well I can think of at the moment) flaw/ con to that game is the quest givers.
Yes the npc got the green ! on their head to had you the quests however there are many NPC in the game who appear in certain locations during the day or night.
Sure it start of simple enough but when you encounter more NPC with more quests it will become hard to remember where they all are (the tree house is a nightmare to remember). While there is a NPC chart and a map of the town/ city but the map does not show where that NPC is located and the chart only provide basic info of that character.

Granted the quests are all optional well except for a few important ones so it is not mandatory to complete them all but it will make the game easier due to aquire more levels from the quest rewards.

Beside someone had created a quest/item/ weapon database using the Google spreadsheet so if you get stuck where that quest giver is or want to do all the quests, use that spreadsheet to find that NPC.

Also another important note is that the game does not make you back track as in running back and forth inbetween the cities. There is a simple button showing the list of cities which you can simple warp to a specific location in that city. Lastly the game let you save anywhere you want (except during battle) so no more limited save points!

The first time you go back to Wonderland in Madness Returns...epic.

Scarim Coral:

Ranorak:

Scarim Coral:

The only (well I can think of at the moment) flaw/ con to that game is the quest givers.
Yes the npc got the green ! on their head to had you the quests however there are many NPC in the game who appear in certain locations during the day or night.
Sure it start of simple enough but when you encounter more NPC with more quests it will become hard to remember where they all are (the tree house is a nightmare to remember). While there is a NPC chart and a map of the town/ city but the map does not show where that NPC is located and the chart only provide basic info of that character.

Granted the quests are all optional well except for a few important ones so it is not mandatory to complete them all but it will make the game easier due to aquire more levels from the quest rewards.

Beside someone had created a quest/item/ weapon database using the Google spreadsheet so if you get stuck where that quest giver is or want to do all the quests, use that spreadsheet to find that NPC.

Also another important note is that the game does not make you back track as in running back and forth inbetween the cities. There is a simple button showing the list of cities which you can simple warp to a specific location in that city. Lastly the game let you save anywhere you want (except during battle) so no more limited save points!

I'm sold!

Damn it, so many games to play, so little time.

BishopofAges:
To be honest and forward to your question "what made me say 'wow' about a game even before I have a chance to play it?" Actually the game isn't out yet, but Bioshock: Infinite. The trailer and all of its gooey goodness made me 'wow' by the first minute.

I know what you mean, especially the part in the E3 (?) Gameplay Video where the player character

If it truly can deliver something like that SO nonchalantly than it's pretty much set for GOTY already

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked