Someone actually thinks "Portal" is a bad game!?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forlong:

FallenMessiah88:
OP has every right to consider it strange when somebody doesn't share his opinion. The problem is that that is not what he was doing. He basically called someone a brainless moron for not thinking that Portal was anything short of excellent. He then went on to list a whole bunch of games and then told the guy to sell every game he owns and get those games instead. However, in doing so he forgot one tiny little detail. The possibility that maybe the guy in question already owns one or more of these games. Oh right I forgot. He doesn't like Portal, so obviously he doesn't know what good games are.

You do realize that no one takes advice they get on the internet, right? I was aware of that an that is why I made that statement. It was to make a point. I knew he wouldn't actually listen unless I said something extreme, because that is the only thing folks on the internet understand. I don't recall saying he was dense. Implied it, probably; but I didn't say that outright.

No one takes advice on the internet? That is a pretty sweeping statement. I think that depends on what kind of advice they are being given and the manner in which it is given to them.

Might I ask just what you were trying to accomplish with this? You saw someone's opinion. You disagreed with it. You then proceeded to call his opinion "void". You also called someone stupid for not thinking that Portal was "anything but excellent". I mean, do you not see the problem here? The problem is not that you tried to argue with someone about personal taste, nor is it that your opinion is somehow inferior to everyone elses or that you do not have a right to state it. The problem is that the way you did it was kind of douchy, basically.

And actually, you DID call him dense in your OP, so yeah...

But you know what get's me the worst. It's that (like someone else mentioned) you decided to use The Escapist as your personal army. Judging from your OP, it just really seems like you were expecting people to agree with you, because after all this guy doesn't like Portal AND he thinks that Battlefield 3 is the best game ever, so clearly he must be some sort of uncultured simpleton.

Maybe this wasn't your intention, but that is how I interpreted it. It just came of as really snobbish and pretentious. All in all, you opinion isn't wrong, just like that XboxLikeWater guy's opinion isn't wrong. It's all subjective.

TJC:

Itsthefuzz:

TJC:
Not sure if First Day Internet Kid or First World Problem...

In any case: Dude, shut up and play your Portal. You and everyone around you will be happier and less annoyed.

First day internet kid? First world problem? More like Successfully trolling. Seriously, why is everyone making a stupid sarcastic remark about how not everyone has to like the same thing. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE STUPID JOKE, THE OP HASN'T EVEN RESPONDED. Just let this thing die. Is everyone really so stupid to think that "Hey, we 100 of us take this obviously misguided opinion (possibly an opinion said to purposely cause in uproar)and point out how stupid it is, the world will suddenly be a better place."

You know, nothing unites a heterogenous group of people than the common contempt towards a single target. I like to believe that the OP has done a selfless sacrifice to unite escapists for a brief moment. For that, I salute him.
Still, please don't quit your dayjob as Captain Obvious. Your work is outstanding.

No problem! It's actually a pretty difficult job to point out the idiotic tendencies of others. They almost never recognize it themselves, even after it's pointed out. I bet you have no idea what I'm talking about though do ya, chief? ;)

ScoopMeister:
I think I speak for myself when I say that, as a self-proclaimed Brony, I'm just gunna love and tolerate the crap out of you, despite your harsh words :P

Let me be clear. If you want to love that show, be my guest. I can understand why you would; it's well-written, it's good-intentioned, and it's gut-bustingly funny. Even if you want to go a little crazy with it, that doesn't bother me. Goodness knows I've done the same for things I really enjoy. What irritates me is the insistence on putting it at the forefront of every single thing that you do, which seems to be the MO of a good number of bronies these days(should I be capitalizing that?). Love the show all you want. Hell, obsess all you want. That's what nerds do. Just... try and let up just a little for me? Just a little bit of restraint? Please?

Raika:

ScoopMeister:
I think I speak for myself when I say that, as a self-proclaimed Brony, I'm just gunna love and tolerate the crap out of you, despite your harsh words :P

Let me be clear. If you want to love that show, be my guest. I can understand why you would; it's well-written, it's good-intentioned, and it's gut-bustingly funny. Even if you want to go a little crazy with it, that doesn't bother me. Goodness knows I've done the same for things I really enjoy. What irritates me is the insistence on putting it at the forefront of every single thing that you do, which seems to be the MO of a good number of bronies these days(should I be capitalizing that?). Love the show all you want. Hell, obsess all you want. That's what nerds do. Just... try and let up just a little for me? Just a little bit of restraint? Please?

Totally. I was half-joking. I completely understand where you're coming from. Hell, I completely agree.

While its not a bad game, its just not up to the level of "OMGIWANTTOHAVEITSBABIES" everyone seems to place it at.

Portal is one of those games that people play because if they don't they aren't a "real gamer" Its all peer pressure. It was the same with the new Duke Nukem, we all knew it would be a shit game yet most of us got it because if we were not we wouldn't fit it.

I skipped both.

You might of heard of something called consciousness. It's this very strange thing that allows people to have different opinions then you do.

I'm pretty much with everyone else with the, "different opinions," thing.
That said, I do have to mark the guy down for dipping into the, "I'm right, you're wrong," ink. I'm fine with differing opinions. "You like Legend of Zelda more than Diablo II? That's cool." What I *don't* like is seing people say, "this is great," or, "this sucks" with nothing to their argument other than, "because I say so".

In my opinion, anyway.

DoPo:
Ri-i-ight, then maybe you one of us two doesn't have a good understanding of the Internet. I thought that making an extreme statement will make people dislike you more and not suddenly think you are correct.

Yes, I should totally care what people I will never meat think of me. One has to wonder about my priorities.

Actually, while you're back here, can you make a list of the objectively 10 best games? I'd love to read a true list not some subjective compilations.

I never said that I was qualified. There are simply too many games to make a 100% accurate list. However, I'll meet you half-way and make a list of the ten best games I've played.

10: Final Fantasy VII
9: Halo 2
8: Persona 4
7: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6: Megaman X
5: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4: Batman: Arkham Asylum
3: Shadow of the Colossus
2: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
1: Portal

Of the games I've played so far, I see those as the best. The order could probably use some work.

I can't believe all of the posters who are saying Portal wasn't great because it was short. Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are both short and their awesome!
Consequently: Black Swan > Portal 2

PureAussieGamer:
Portal is one of those games that people play because if they don't they aren't a "real gamer" Its all peer pressure. It was the same with the new Duke Nukem, we all knew it would be a shit game yet most of us got it because if we were not we wouldn't fit it.

I skipped both.

Maybe it's one of 'those games' because it's actually good? yeah sure it's short and all the other things mentioned but it's still fun. And people played Duke Nukem Forever because they actually enjoyed Duke 3D and actually hoped Forever would be fun like 3D. Nothing to do with it being one of "those game'

In other news, hipsters are idiots.

Hazy992:

Lawlhat:
Well basically a lot of people liked Portal, and it became very popular, so naturally it then became cool to hate on Portal because of hipsters.

There's your answer.

Or, and bear with me here as this may blow your mind, some people just don't really like Portal. I know right?! Weird!

That was sarcasm. I forgive you for not realizing that. (That was sarcasm too.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked