Homosexuality in ME3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

ArkhamHorror:
I never understood what made this a big deal in the first place. The romantic relationships never seemed like a make or break feature. I'm happy that this is now an option but did it need a big announcement?

I don't think it was a big announcement, it was a little mention then people went APE-SHIT

I want a gay Shepard, but only in combination with a renegade dialog option somewhere in the game where he says:
"It's payback time! I'm gonna f*ck these Reapers in the a**!" Awkward silence... "Figuratively speaking..."
"... of course, Shepard."
"... I should go."

That awkward moment when the giant lizard man comes on to you......the thought scares me.

Tanner The Monotone:
That awkward moment when the giant lizard man comes on to you......the thought scares me.

Why, don't they have towels in the future?

Seriously though, would it be better if it was a giant lizard woman?

BanZeus:

Tanner The Monotone:

Why, don't they have towels in the future?

Clothes that dry you when you get wet?

BanZeus:

Probably not. Rejection would probably end with my death either way.

Tanner The Monotone:

"Shepard."

"Wrex."

Zhukov:
Did you say homosexuality in Mass Effect? But Male Shepard came bursting out of that closet way back in the first game. I believe the customary phrase is, "I'll just leave this here..."

Huh, I never saw that scene, though I did know that the remnants of homosexual romance options were still in the coding of the game. I just thought they were limited to the sex scene (where Male shep gets the fastest gender reassignment surgery ever).

And yeah, I agree with the OP. It's not a big deal, especially because they were supposed to be in the first game and some of the conversations you can have with Ash and Kaiden as a Shepard of their same sex still seems very ho-yay filled. Not to mention on Horizon in the sequel, they seem to act like jilted lovers regardless of whether you romanced them or not.

So, yeah I don't think Shepard being homosexual is that big of an issue, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ash/Kaiden were homosexual romances in the third game, for the reason I listed above.

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean it's not like Bioware will force you to leave Liara for
James Vega for example. But i guess that some people still can't handle TEH GAYS.

I played in Mass Effect 2 as a female Shepard and for the whole play I was obssessed with Miranda, but nothing happened between the two of us. :(

In general I believe that the freedom to have gay-lesbian relations in games like The Sims, or Fable, or lately in Mass Effect and Dragon Origins serves mostly one purpose: to give to male gamers the satisfaction of creating "lesbian shows" into their play and be aroused by that. Of course this freedom gives the opportunity to real gay- lesbian players to express themselves, but basically this feature is made for the first category. Kill two birds with one stone. EA is not any amateurs in this business...

I agree with OP.
RPG's are ROLEPLAYING games, which means you can roleplay whatever you want, as such the developer is SUPPOSED to offer options. Those that feel insulted about Bioware offering homosexuality are probably the same (or at least the same type of people) who feel insulted about the game offering action or plot-focused gameplay, styles/options they won't actually pick, and as such won't affect them.

Cheery Lunatic:

Seriously, make it harder to romance people. So you actually have to TRY instead of you're talking to someone and suddenly you're in their pants.

It's not like you can have sex on accident.

D. Perry Cox:
It's not like you fell into her. And out of her... And back into her... again.

OT: I don't mind it, and in fact fully embrace the homosexuality/bisexuality made available in Mass Effect 3. I see no reason that sexuality should be excluded from the EVERYTHING ELSE you can change about Shepard.

However, I don't want it shoved down anyone's throat - I didn't like how in Mass Effect 2 you just stumbled into relationships (although with Jack it kindof made sense, and reminded me of an ex of mine), or in Mass Effect 1 where if you started down the path of romance with someone and then never spoke to them again, the game assumed you were having a secret tryst. that was annoying....

It doesn't bother me not only because there's nothing wrong with being gay but also that I see my Shepard as my own character and some other persons Shepard as completely separate. I think the people complaining are under the illusion that their Shepard is 'canon' or something.

Volf99:
its pandering. Shepard isn't gay

Really? Quote from Mass Effect wiki:

At some point in the game's development, it was also possible for a female Shepard to romance Ashley Williams or a male Shepard to romance Kaidan Alenko. This was later removed, although the voiced conversations for them remain in the game.

One person here already linked this video, too.

Thing is, there is no canon Shepard. Originally, he/she could be heterosexual or homosexual, but I believe they removed the homosexual option to avoid controversy and attacks (they were attacked by Fox News anyway, for putting in naked pixel people; imagine what would have happened if there were two naked pixel men). As witnessed by the dialogue that remained in the game even after they cut it out, Shepard was supposed to be either straight or gay, depending on how you want to play him/her. It was not removed because they wanted to conclude that he/she is not gay, but because our society still has issues with seeing two men together.

Your Shepard can be whatever you want him/her to be (see? There's no even canon gender). I have three different Shepards for now, maybe I'll make more of them, and although I'm not gay, I don't think that putting the gay option is pandering. In a game that lets you choose almost everything about the character, it's a bit retarded that it doesn't let you choose whether you'll be straight or gay. And they fixed that and I'm glad they did.

Anthraxus:
Romances (both kind) are there as a form of fanservice to female players. Biowhore games have tons of female fans.

Nice generalizing you got there.

It doesn't matter that much to me.

As long as the game isn't trying to make my Shepard gay, then I don't have any problems.

Tanner The Monotone:

I read that in an entirely different way.

I hate my brain sometimes.

Zhukov:

Tanner The Monotone:

"Shepard."

"Wrex."

As much as I like Wrex...

that would scare the hell out of me.

I think it's great that they're including the option, even if I don't intend to take it. My Shepard already has her lizard-man, and that's the way it's going to be right until the bitter end.

Although, I would have loved a romantic option with Jack...that would have been interesting. Honestly the only reason I'd play through as Man-Shep would be to see how that works out.

But whatever, that's not going to happen. As is, I'm glad it exists, I think it's a healthy progression to implement, but it won't affect me.

I think the best point to be made in it's favour is simply: Who cares? Seriously, if you don't like it don't fuck a dude. It's literally that simple. Jesus christ. If you were playing a game and your character was offered some beans would you bin the game screaming "bollocks, I hate beans!" It's an option, that is all. Should we cancel existence because it too has a gay option? Look if you got angry because a protagonist in a game was homosexual, I'd call you a raging homophobe. The fact that you're getting angry that a character can be gay but only if you decide that the character is then you're literally one of the most idiotic people on the planet.

Who cares if Shephard enjoyed a good fish taco in 1 and 2; (I get one free sexism pass if I'm standing up for another group right? That's how it works, fighting homophobia I can be a bit sexist, even Paragon and Renegade points) many people don't come to terms with their homosexuality until later in life.

Anthraxus:
Romances (both kind) are there as a form of fanservice to female players. Biowhore games have tons of female fans.

Erm you mean like in Baldur's Gate 2 where there are numerous romances for the male player and females...get...Anomen... *shudder*

Something tells me you are mistaken.

Honestly, people should be upset if this wasn't in Mass effect 3

Zhukov:

Tanner The Monotone:

"Shepard."

"Wrex."

Yelling bird, is there a moment you cannot sully? Wrex and Shepard were having a moment.

BanZeus:
[quote="Tanner The Monotone" post="9.351652.13924431"]

But dude, bro, bra, broski, braski... that would be gay. But it's totally straight if a man wants to get freaky with the

I think Bioware's handling it fine. But I'm sure there's at least one fan going out there as femshep for the sexy Tali XXX Shepherd option. I almost think thats why its there in the first place, but there I go being a slight dick.

I don't feel like its an actual option, just the whole romance mechanic in general. Be a perfect man / woman pushover and you'll get sexy times, which isn't really believable.

My Shepard will definatly come out in ME3. I mean, the only crew-member I can see having a problem with it (That human-supremist terrorist bitch whose name we do not mention) is dead. And if she does an Anders on me, I swear I will punch a goldfish in the face.

EDIT: Oh, and I imagine Liara might be pissed about being my beard, but I don't imagine it'll last very long.

Players should be able to choose the sexuality of their characters at character creation. Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual or even asexual for people who just want to switch the dating simulator off. I see absolutely nothing wrong with allowing people to play the game and be nice to NPCs with a non-compatible sexuality without the dialogue tree suggesting that you've been trying to knock boots with that character.

It would also allow for the opportunity to write in sexually aggressive advances or even perhaps an unrequited love. These sorts of situations really cannot be authentically realized without the game first knowing the sexuality that the player desires their character to have.

Or Bioware could just do it in order to more effectively pander the living shit out of its fanbase.

Beliyal:

Volf99:
its pandering. Shepard isn't gay

Really? Quote from Mass Effect wiki:

At some point in the game's development, it was also possible for a female Shepard to romance Ashley Williams or a male Shepard to romance Kaidan Alenko. This was later removed, although the voiced conversations for them remain in the game.

One person here already linked this video, too.

Thing is, there is no canon Shepard. Originally, he/she could be heterosexual or homosexual, but I believe they removed the homosexual option to avoid controversy and attacks (they were attacked by Fox News anyway, for putting in naked pixel people; imagine what would have happened if there were two naked pixel men). As witnessed by the dialogue that remained in the game even after they cut it out, Shepard was supposed to be either straight or gay, depending on how you want to play him/her. It was not removed because they wanted to conclude that he/she is not gay, but because our society still has issues with seeing two men together.

Your Shepard can be whatever you want him/her to be (see? There's no even canon gender). I have three different Shepards for now, maybe I'll make more of them, and although I'm not gay, I don't think that putting the gay option is pandering. In a game that lets you choose almost everything about the character, it's a bit retarded that it doesn't let you choose whether you'll be straight or gay. And they fixed that and I'm glad they did.

In that case Volf99's comment was actually correct. It just happens that Shepard hasn't been gay to pander to homophobes. Although the key part of that is "hasn't been". Makes the whole thing kind of ironic really, because they don't know how often media changes things to fit what homophobes want.

octafish:
I dislike Bioware romances, maybe once they were good, I have fond memories of Viconia and Jaheria, and to a lesser extent Aerie, I always hated Anomen though. It just seems a bunch of fanservice twaddle nowadays, just another thing to tick off on the Bioware checklist.

Jaa, dast ist Grunty!

OT: Yeah, agreed. They might as well cut it out of the game. It's meaningless and usually quite pointless. It's basicly Biowares child-friendly wank-material.

Ultratwinkie:
Now the thing is, they missed the mark. The coming out story is not appropriate with the pace or context. If they wanted to do that, they needed to do it in Mass Effect 2 or 1, not shoe horn it in at the end.

The reapers came back in full force, the end game, and NOW they want to flesh out characters? Its too late. The die has been cast, the cement has dried, the cow has gone off to pasture, the opportunity has ceased to be. You don't try to flesh out characters in the last installment of a series. That is bad writing.

They had plenty of time to implement homosexuality in Mass Effect, and they pissed them all away. The "coming out" subplot takes time, and wouldn't fit in an urgent context like Bioware claims it wants.

Then again, that's just me.

No, its not just you. This is the real issue but nobody wants to hear it. The ME3 debate is not arguing against homosexuality in games, heck plenty of us took gay relationships in The Witcher. The argument is against BAD WRITING because introducing homosexuality into the third act is a change of an already established character.

BAD. WRITING. I feel like I've been shouting this at a wall for two days. It isn't that gay relationships should not be in games or any other story...they already are and in better stories they serve the plot. It doesn't belong in Mass Effect 3 because ITS PART 3. I'm not a Mass Effect fanboy, I don't want the series kept "pure" or any bigot bs like that. It's that pushing a change in sexual preference at the last second then calling it canon does more to create controversy than serve a plot. I would be just as upset if...well you know what? I AM upset at other retcon changes in the game. Now there's Krogan females too, and that is just bad.

TL/DR/Theescapistforums: With bad writing changes ME3 is going to suck, regardless of your sexual preferences.

As long as they don't make it totally unnatural and out of left field, I couldn't care either way. Lesbian romance with Jack? Sure. There's evidence to support that. Lesbian romance with Tali? A bit more tenuous, but I can see some hinting. Gay romance with Kaidan? Well he has cut dialogue for that, so I don't care. Gay romance with Jacob? ...Does he have cut dialogue too? Because in all honesty, I just can't see it. Gay romance with Garrus? Too out of left field for me.

I'm all down for folks being able to get their gay on, but what I'm worried about is what characters are going to be offered as gay. For instance, if Garrus suddenly starts playing for the other team I will not be happy. He's clearly not gay, but did that ever stop BioWare? For instance, in Dragon Age 2 Anders was suddenly revealed to like a bit of guy love when he was literally repulsed by the idea of it in Dragon Age: Awakenings.

It is stupid that there is homosexuality, because if one of the characters was gay then you would know by now (you go through a lot with them). I will rage if I try to talk with Garrus then after one or two missions, I hear him say something like "Shepard I have developed a strong need, to insert my equivalent of a penis up your rectum, thrust vigorously until I ejaculate my equivalent of cum into your intestines." Garrus is not gay he would have told me. Period.
I have no problem with being Gay just not this late in the series.

shepard is as gay or straight as the person playing him or her wants shepard to be.

what i dont understand is people asking for an option to be removed from everyone elses game just because they dont happen to personally agree with it

Sparrow:
I'm all down for folks being able to get their gay on, but what I'm worried about is what characters are going to be offered as gay. For instance, if Garrus suddenly starts playing for the other team I will not be happy. He's clearly not gay, but did that ever stop BioWare? For instance, in Dragon Age 2 Anders was suddenly revealed to like a bit of guy love when he was literally repulsed by the idea of it in Dragon Age: Awakenings.

I think thats is a big part of the paranoia. They changed one character in another game and now they just assume that they will be making everyone change. But really it only happened once and with what all the recent controversy has thought me, Hepler changed Anders and she isn't a part of the mass effect team. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't doing the "everyone is bisexual now" route.

I haven't played M.e. since 1 but I do remember accidently turning Allister gay in Dragon age. After that never let him in the party again. Kinda creeps me out. Ran into the same thing in DA2 this time the healer. I wouldn't consider myself homophobic just not comfortable with the in your face stuff. I don't roleplay even in roleplaying games so I couldn't care less about the romances. I usually skip the dialogue wheels unless its about the main story.

Vault101:
ohhh boy..here we go...

ok as you can figure this is inspried by that little debarcle going on the with Bioware writer..even though apaerently shes got nothing to do with ME3..but thats not the point

now Ill say I know VERY LITTLE about ME3 and i'd actually like to keep it that way (and yes it seems odd that Im doing an ME3 thread..but anyway), I do know (obviously) that shepard can come out of the closet

so heres what I think

I dont think its really an issue

1. because it was intended from ME1 but obviously they cut it out

2. you can fuck Aliens... seriously, take a look at garrus, he's a nice guy but he looks like a velocipator cross with a xenomorph..and femshep can totally get it on with that. Not only Garrus but femsehp can get it on with Liara, oh SURE she's not "technically" female but lets not play around here, thats just Bioware dancing around the issue (and what about kelly chambers? oh right never mind her..move along)

so my point with that is why not? lets make things "eaqual" lets not play around, gay relationships exist, lets not pretend they dont

3. ROLE PLAYING

and this one I cant stress enough, it seems easy to forget that underneith everything ,ME was originally a role playing game

and there is no "canon"

So that means that YOU decide what shepard is like...My femshep has no interest in Aliens, what so ever, just because the game gives me the option does NOT make it true, she's not going to screw Garrus and she never will or even consider screwing Garrus, or ashley or Liara

so from that as far as Im concerned my Femshep is straight

just like now maleshep and be as straight and gay as YOU want

and thats my opinion..whats yours? (god forbid)

TL;DR- Shepard can screw aliens, therefore homosexual relationships with humans don't matter.

I don't know why anyone was so worked up about this when it was first revealed. Some of Mass Effect's DNA is role-playing, meaning Shepard's behavior and interests are the things you want them to be.

Homosexuality was present in Mass Effect, with Femshep being able to romance Liara (who is more female than male, mind you.)
It was also in the second game, with Kelly and... err Femshep again.
This time it is just a wider variety of cast members who you can be gay with.

PaganAxe:
Don't the NPCs turn you away sometimes? I kinda tried to go for Jack in ME2 with femshep, but Jack turned her down because she says she's not into girls.

Strange, I always thought she had more testosterone in her than myself.

Zen Toombs:
Fyi, how dominant your personality/how aggressive you are is irrelevant to which sex you are sexually attracted to. If she likes girls, she likes girls. If she likes boys, she likes boys. If she likes both, she likes both. A person could have a dominant or submissive or pacifistic or aggressive personality with any of those options.

This wall of text brought to you be Zen Toombs. ZT out.

Corporal Toombs? But... I saw you die on Akuze!

And what I said about Jack having more testosterone was a joke, sorry for not sounding sarcastic. =/

--

reCAPTCHA: teacher thatkil

Kill that teacher? Your wish is my command, my lord.

Vault101:

Zhukov:

Vault101:

.......I think being F***ed by a Krogan would be painful...at best

Love does not bow down to such trivial matters of logistics!

you can be hung like a Krogan
go down like a lepard
but you'll never fuck better than comander shepard...

Normally when I award internetz.... its like a sort of "you won for the day" thing....
You may have, however, just permanently taken the cake...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked