Why I am not going to buy Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I,m not going to buy ME3 for three reasons:
1. I couldn't really get in ME1
2. it requires that I install Origin
3. I,m boycotting them over evil business strategies like invasive DRM,backing of SOPA,downright stupid DLC ($60,- for a roster update?! $10,- for stuff that,s supposed to be in the game from the get go?!) among other things.

Well everyone else is posting about ME3 and I suppose that is a good enough excuse.

I will be buying ME3 for $20 if it is the GOTY with all the DLC in it unless Kingdoms of Amalur goes down to $20 first.

ME2 combat messed up my main (sniper) So if it is more long hallways with no ability to free roam on a planet I will be sad.

I already expected a ton of DLC, I never even got all of ME2's dlc.

ME2 was a 1 play through game for me ME1 is a multiple play through game for me. Until I know which it is closer to I will not buy it.

Basically both ME3 and KoA both have aspects I like in a game where the majority of it I don't care about or it bothers me slightly.

I trust you (the internet) will tell me if my opinion or plan is incorrect.

Can we all stop the insulting each other now?

-2fish

Eh, people are whining for no reason. I'm willing to pay an extra twenty dollars to buy the N7 collectors edition. Why? Because I'm a fan of the games, and of Bioware(most of the time).

I've paid full price for games that aren't worth the price tag. A month ago I wasted sixty dollars on SWTOR. I'll never get that money back, but I'm not going to complain about it. It was my choice. If you don't want to buy ME3 because of a single day one release DLC. That's fine. Don't buy it, you'll only be missing out.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I MEAN, IF THERE WERE AT LEAST SOME WARNING SIGNS IN THIS THREAD OR SOMETHING. BUT THAT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE."

XD Yeah. If only we had some way to tell there would be spoilers. I, too, was shocked.

BaronIveagh:

How about endings to the story? Since Bioware have heavily implied that alternate endings will also be DLC, but that got buried in one of the threads over on Bioware's forums.

Key word there being "alternate." It's not like you have to pay 15 bucks to see how the game ends.

Dansen:
Its still bad, the character DLC was leaked about nine months ago, during the development cycle. They decided to cut the feature from the game.

I'm sorry. Can you definitively prove it was cut from the game, and not designed with the intent of adding content?

Ascarus:

waste. so in order to make a "point" you are going to just completely ignore the series wrap up. you know who loses there? Hint, hint: it isn't EA or Bioware.

Yup. EA certainly doesn't lose any money off diminished sales.

Zachary Amaranth:

Key word there being "alternate." It's not like you have to pay 15 bucks to see how the game ends.

I would go one step farther and say its not like you have to pay 15 bucks to see 95% or more of the games endings

Oh aren't you? Thats nice.

I swear we get a thread like this everytime any game comes out ever.

Loop Stricken:

psicat:
And, I am going to buy Mass Effect 3.

I have enjoyed your logical, reasoned and well-debated reasoning and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ok if you really want more. You've got to love the that self entitled, want everything for free, attitude many gamers have. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my game from day one and laughing when I remember there are people who decided to throw a tantrum and not get it for a reason that boils down to:

Oh my god! How dare they take a cutting room floor character, make a DLC similar to the Kasumi DLC around him so you can actually have him as a squad mate, after they finished working on the main game. Then those #!*% have the audacity to make a great Collector's Edition Package that includes that DLC for free for that cost less than the average $100 Collector's Editions you see. To add insult to injury they include the DLC on the market so the people who purchased the Standard Edition can buy still buy it from the start instead of waiting a month or two, and they can actually be paid for the work they put into making it. Really how dare they.

imnotparanoid:
Oh aren't you? Thats nice.

I swear we get a thread like this everytime any game comes out ever.

What would we do if every major release didn't have a set of i hate/I love threads about them? Think of the post counts.

Plus you know unless people agree with you they are wrong/whiners/insulting word here.

Are you sure it happens every time I mean I don't want to insinuate that you are paranoid...but every time? That seems a little extreme.

SirBryghtside:

J Tyran:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Actually, the Prothean would be the base. He is so damn important to the story, its not even funny. I cant imagine how they want to structure the story with him gone because he really is the pillar that carries the most weight.

But you know that. You just cant deal with people not liking what you like.

Just because the character is a Prothean it doesn't mean its critical to the plot, the Prothean race as a whole is important to the overall plot. But an individual char might not have much impact on the story.

Think of a ME2, collectors where a big deal right? A major part of the plot yes? Was one the random collectors you fought so central to the whole thing if it was removed the story would have collapsed? No of course not, same thing with the Geth in ME1, Geth as a race = important, random geth = not important. So this individual Prothean isn't the pillar that carries the most weight at all.

What in the hell has "You just cant deal with people not liking what you like." supposed to mean? Where did I say anything like that? If people don't like the game they don't like it, but that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about people who obviously like it and want it and are so butt hurt about it they are flooding forums and YouTube with tears whilst mashing their keyboards in self entitled rage.

Bear in mind that Smash has read the leaked dialogue. He has more authority on this than anyone.

Apparently from the leaks, every edition of the game has the characters plot elements and dialogue. Supposedly you only need the CE if you want the Prothean as a squad mate.

Either way it all still speculation and its all well and good people claiming to have read or seen this and that but forgive me for not taking angry raging forum sperging at face value.

Have you ever noticed that there aren't any "I'm going to buy X" threads, only "I'm not going to buy X" threads? Yeah yeah, big deal he's going to buy something GASP HE'S NOT GOING TO BUY SOMETHING, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS!

Just throwing it out there.

The only reason why I will not buy the game is because it will not be released for steam.

Id rather have Wrex than a prothean....keep them dead i say. Anyway the prothean is a special addition add on for the the special edition buyers so it has to be a day one dlc. You would bitch more if you couldnt download it at all.

Who cares, i play ME for the story, nor because of some random character that will have zero relevance. Blah blah protheans. Dont care, there where races before the protheans that were killed. Also the add on is just a reskinned collector so i really not that interested. Had both Zaeed and Kasumi and never used them past there one mission.

Launchday DLC that just have to be the best PR trick in the book. The
publisher don't have to do anything just sit back and watch the name of
the game float to the top of search engines every where. As for buying
this game ,, not happening Bioware is fast going in to my no buy zone
with Ubisoft :)So i miss a few good games maybe , i can live with that.
Giving money to a bunch of people i dislike is worse.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

antidonkey:
The lack of or overabundance of DLC plays no factor in my decision on purchasing a game. So long as they don't sell me 1/2 a game at full price and require DLC to get the other 1/2,

Initially it seems to me that your response Smash is sarcasitic, I'm not entirely sure though. However we, or at least I don't know how significant this DLC character is going to be toward the story or if it/he/she is going to be characterized at all. When Zaeed was released day one for ME 2 you did a mission for him to take a skeleton out of his closet. Then back on the ship I think he had 5 or so responses when clicked on, none of which you could respond to. In the end you learned a tiny bit about him, even less so in contrast to the rest of the crew. What I'm getting at is that people could be over estimating the what this DLC might provide.

SajuukKhar:

Zachary Amaranth:

I would go one step farther and say its not like you have to pay 15 bucks to see 95% or more of the games endings

Actually I'm willing to bet there are only three endings in the base game (with minor variations):

Game Over

Renegade

Paragon

So, if they add even one more ending, it's going to be more then 5%. A quick count gives us one ending more would be 25% more endings.

There is also the possibility that Renegade will be only available via DLC. It's not real clear yet just what was meant. It is clear that any and all epilogs are apparently DLC (so if you wonder what ever happened after all that galaxy saving to the Shep/Liara/Ashley threesome you set up in 3, you'll have ot pay more to find that out.

Does anyone here wonder whether or not Bioware would be getting these complaints if they simply chose to wait a week or so after release and then chose to release the DLC? This character was in no way important to the plot before he was added or else he would have been included as a part of the main game from the beginning. Do you people complaining know how much time passes between the completion of the game and when it actually hits the store shelves? It's a long process of testing, bug fixing, advertising, manufacturing, and shipping.

What's that? Bioware has decided to have its programmers working on a little extra content to put into the game during that time when those programmers would otherwise have nothing to do? Those assholes! How dare they try and create new content for the enjoyment of their fans, the selfish pricks!

Kajin:
What's that? Bioware has decided to have its programmers working on a little extra content to put into the game during that time when those programmers would otherwise have nothing to do? Those assholes! How dare they try and create new content for the enjoyment of their fans, the selfish pricks!

No, it was being created at the same time as the main game. Thus taking resources away from the main game only to sell it as a separate thing later on.
And that's terrible.

Loop Stricken:

Kajin:

No, it was being created at the same time as the main game. Thus taking resources away from the main game only to sell it as a separate thing later on.
And that's terrible.

Except it wasn't.

endtherapture:
I am going to buy Mass Effect 3 because I enjoyed the demo and I am looking forward to the conclusion.

If there is all this extra DLC giving new guns, art books etc. etc. I don't really care, I don't have to buy it, I'm not being forced, so I won't buy it.

It doesn't seem any different to Shale DLc or any of the character DLCs for ME2 or DA2 or anything.

The difference is that shale wasn't central to the plot of Dragon Age. But, the protheans are as central to the plot of mass effect as the reapers or the collectors and denying people a character that could provide people with insight as to who the protheans were just to make an extra 20 dollars on a sixty dollar game is disgraceful.

jp201:

Whateveralot:
Snip.

I can't say anything to this but wow such much fanaticism is oozing from this post. But your right, I am so stupid for thinking that content that is made before launch should be included with my game and not taken out of the game and sold back to me.

I only request from you that you never breed.

Many games use this principle. Heck, have you heard of Unlockable Content? Which is DLC, but without the big download, just a tiny bit of code (5 to 10kb) to unlock stuff that's already installed on your hard drive?

The fact that they create the content before lauching, does not automatically mean you have the right for it when it clearly states that it's not included. To draw you another metaphor: When a car dealer launches a new model, does that mean they can't develop any options for it until the car is for sale? They usually have many different options straight from the factory. How is that justified? Easy. You get the car you pay for. In this case: You get the game you pay for. It never, ever claimed that you would have a *special extra* team-mate available in the "plain" version of the game. It was, however, very clear that it would be included in the N7 Collector's Edition.

Heck, now I think of it; you're basically stating that they should stop designing Mass Effect 3 apparel (N7-shirts, etc) until the game is launched, because if they don't, they'd better include it in the game's box!

I'm pretty glad they are launching DLC right after launch. Because what this means is:
- I don't need to buy the expensive collector's edition, which includes stuff that I don't want (e.g. artbook, etc.), to get all the in-game content.
- I don't have to replay the game (or reload an older save) after I finished the game, to play the parts with the DLC again (or play the parts after finishing the game, making me rediculously overpowered).

Of course there is a commercial side of things, but stating you are cancelling the pre-order only makes you sound like a spoiled child.

To stick with the sarcasm: I think it's entirely reasonable that you demand all the content that comes with the (more expensive) collector's edition, for the price of the "plain" Mass Effect 3 game.

Please, note that I'm not sure if 10-dollars / euro's / pounds is an entirely reasonable price for this DLC. I don't know if the DLC has enough hours of quality content to be worth the tenner. But that is an entirely different dicussion.

My course of action? I don't pre-order games, Skyrim being the only exception. I will buy this game. I will propably not get the DLC. I'm fine and I will enjoy this game like everyone else. I'm not the fanatic you might hold me as, I'm marely tired of hearing this same complaint coming up at every new big game which has early DLC or ULC. You get what you pay for, simple as that.

bennyboy05:

endtherapture:
I am going to buy Mass Effect 3 because I enjoyed the demo and I am looking forward to the conclusion.

If there is all this extra DLC giving new guns, art books etc. etc. I don't really care, I don't have to buy it, I'm not being forced, so I won't buy it.

It doesn't seem any different to Shale DLc or any of the character DLCs for ME2 or DA2 or anything.

The difference is that shale wasn't central to the plot of Dragon Age. But, the protheans are as central to the plot of mass effect as the reapers or the collectors and denying people a character that could provide people with insight as to who the protheans were just to make an extra 20 dollars on a sixty dollar game is disgraceful.

The thing is though they made is abundantly clear in ME1 that the Protheans WEREN'T THAT IMPORTANT.

Beyond that The Porhtean is STILL going to give you THE EXACT SAME INFORMATION regardless of if you have the DLC or not, the DLC only makes him recruitable.

YOU STILL learn the EXACT SAME secrets either way.

bennyboy05:

endtherapture:

Or I could just read it up on Wikipedia.

I didn't like the idea of having a Prothrean squadmate anyway, seems wrong. I like them remaining mysterious and aloof.

.. This is very bad indeed. Charging extra money for an important aspect of a game as a DLC is beyond reasoning if not trying to milk as TS tried to explain in his video. He made very good points, and after I finally realized where he was getting at- I was ripped off on Dead Space 2. How?

There are achievements you get for playing/completing Dead Space: Severed. It costs 500 microsoft points to get, and honestly it's only 2 chapters.. and short. They charged me 500 microsoft points, to play a mere 20 minute mission where in order to get 100% on Dead Space 2 I had to buy it.. despite that game being my favorite overall that's a huge rip off. The DLC Severed is important to the Dead Space story since it has to do with what's going on outside of Issac's story.. so, yeah.. darn why is Gaming Companies starting to pull this off now?

What happened to gaming? I thought it was all about trying to show the media that gaming is an important entertainment within the media. How can we progress or show the media how important mature we can be if our gaming companies are ripping the gamers off?? If I was new at gaming, or getting into it.. I would feel pushed away to be into games if I had to pay $20 extra dollars for a very important character that has a huge role in the game itself. Sorry for the rant just.. this worries me. What happens if every game starts charging us money like $10 just to play on multiplayer instead of needing a code to get on there?

That would cause some chaos for sure.

SajuukKhar:

Loop Stricken:

Kajin:

And that's terrible.

Except it wasn't.

It was being worked on months before that.

Jaric93:
I loved Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2 but after watching this video I have cancelled my pre-order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&context=C39179a6ADOEgsToPDskJl3lWj020_lrFLeeTgWUh4

This kind of thing just goes too far and is the king of money grabbing nonsense I just can't stand. All I ask is that you watch the video and consider the implications.

Edit: The video in short explains that bioware and ea are forcing you to pay for a game changing character those of you who who have played mass effect will realise the significance of this kind of Team-mate.

The content is only avalible for those who are willing to fork out for the collectors edition or pay extra for day of release DLC

Yeah well you do that, lol and Me and everyone else who doesn't get upset at the first sign of DLC will be enjoying our awesome game, but hey let us know how much fun sticking to misguided principles is, personally i dont think it can compare to blowing up some reapers but hey if you canceled your pre-order over something like day one DLC you obviously dont care as much about this game as the rest of us and thats ok, more copies for people who will actually enjoy it

I swear when the game comes out, and if this DLC turns out to not make a big difference at all (which I think it's safe to say it wont), I'm going to make a thread on it and throw a few of these whiny, self entitled posts in there as quotes, and we can all look back and laugh.

Loop Stricken:

Sadly, this is true. Actual work started about 9 months ago, when it was just called 'The Prothean'.

It's another sad mark of content cut to make DLC.

Is it me, or is, like, half of the forum topics now dedicated to some controversial Bioware discussion?

The reason I made this thread was not because I hate Bioware, EA, Origin, or anything like that I made it to point out to you that EA is once again ripping us off and that I don't intend to just let them again. I feel that if this kind of thing continues we will end up with a Mass Effect 4 where you are Commander Shepard being followed by a bunch of Husks because Garrus, Wrex, and all the other characters that have any kind of personality or originality or us-fullness or are actually related to a plot are 20 a day and you've already forked over your life savings to buy the game.

This is a ridiculous example but my point is how far is too far. Personally I think a Prothean in any state is a game changing character and to sell the game to you then take away such an important part.

Put another way, you've ordered a 30 pizza (it's a really good pizza) but when it arrives there's a slice missing and when you ask why the slice is missing, and your told that that is another 10 for that slice or you could pay 55 and you'd get the slice and a bottle of Pepsi. What would you really do?

I've been hearing ME3 getting some stick for reasons that I've tried to avoid seeing because I'm trying to avoid ANYTHING that could spoil the game for me in ANY WAY.

If it's a gameplay design that people don't like, remember that people didn't like the thermal clip system from ME2, but those outcries died down after a while. It took me a while to get used to the new cover system that was actually NECESSARY to combat, unlike the first game.

As for the DLC thing, call me a sheep with loose pockets, but I'm not really complaining.

Ok - congratulations I guess? Have fun not playing it...

In the meantime, I will be playing it.

I'm still going to buy it but I probably wont use that DLC, because I think it sounds retarded. I don't think it's important, I think it's a bad writing choice to bring this character into the game.

-EDIT-

Actually, a question I just thought of for people up in arms about this.

In DA:O and ME2 the extra characters basically added nothing to the events of the world, other than being there, having some story and having their own quest. They didn't have much of an impact on the outcome of the game. Shale was done very well and Zaeed was forgettable.

In ME3, this character will have the chance to affect the outcome of the story. So my question.

If this DLC was released in say, six months times, would it be ok?

Loop Stricken:

No it really wasn't

The Prothean NPC that tells you shit about the game was being worked on months before that, the Idea, development, and implantation of a DLC that makes him a squadmate was not.

Jaric93:
The reason I made this thread was not because I hate Bioware, EA, Origin, or anything like that I made it to point out to you that EA is once again ripping us off and that I don't intend to just let them again. I feel that if this kind of thing continues we will end up with a Mass Effect 4 where you are Commander Shepard being followed by a bunch of Husks because Garrus, Wrex, and all the other characters that have any kind of personality or originality or us-fullness or are actually related to a plot are 20 a day and you've already forked over your life savings to buy the game.

This is a ridiculous example but my point is how far is too far. Personally I think a Prothean in any state is a game changing character and to sell the game to you then take away such an important part.

Put another way, you've ordered a 30 pizza (it's a really good pizza) but when it arrives there's a slice missing and when you ask why the slice is missing, and your told that that is another 10 for that slice or you could pay 55 and you'd get the slice and a bottle of Pepsi. What would you really do?

the great thing is he is still in the game, and still gives you all the information he knows even if you dont have the DLC, he is just not recruitable without the DLC however.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

antidonkey:
The lack of or overabundance of DLC plays no factor in my decision on purchasing a game. So long as they don't sell me 1/2 a game at full price and require DLC to get the other 1/2,

So a character we have never seen before and probably wouldn't ever hear about if we didn't have the DLC is going to be the most important recruitable character in Mass Effect, eh?

Not, you know, my love interest, or any of the other characters that are required at one point or another to proceed with the main storyline aren't?

How blind I have been.

Here is a nice quote made by Jessica Merizan, Community Manager for Bioware, on a reddit subforum where she did a ask me anything interview today.
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/q2sl2/i_am_jessica_merizan_community_manager_for/

"[-]jessicamerizan[S] 191 points 4 hours ago

I think there's a lot of misinformation out there and I wish the guy who made the initial video about it would have had an open mind before jumping to conclusions based on a leak we weren't ready to address. Since I'm a BioWare employee, I know people won't automatically trust me, but I hope people will consider that it wasn't cut content from the larger game. I was in Edmonton when we were finishing the game in November/December and I was in Edmonton again last month when they were working on the Day 1 DLC. It definitely was only possible to do because the main game was in certification (which means we had to wait for people to test it and make sure everything was good etc before we could get the greenlight to sell it). I also played the game WITHOUT the DLC in my first playthrough and honestly, it's an awesome addition but I was more than happy with what I was given in the game. It's bigger and more expansive than ever. Of course, I understand the concern but I hope we can all have an intelligent conversation about it and cover what the facts are in this situation.

Hope that helps a little bit. This is an awkward format to answer this question, but I know I could explain it if you were sitting next to me on a couch with some coffee/tea ;)

also this farther down

[-]ZombieWomble 19 points 4 hours ago

The production is one issue, but I think many more people are annoyed by the particular content of the DLC - I expect that if it was a "normal" character, like Zaeed, Shale, Sebastian or Kasumi in Bioware's other titles, it would probably have been met with a shrug and some minor moaning about greedy developers.

But the choice of character is so shocking, given the rest of the ME lore, that it's mind-boggling that it was bundled into DLC. At first glance, the character sounds like they must be plot- and lore-significant, simply because they exist, and the fact that it apparently sits outside the main plotline is baffling. Which raises the question of when the idea of this character was introduced, and if it was taken from the original plans for the main game, or not. The timing of when the team worked on it is really immaterial to its impact on the world and its lore.

So, to sum all that up in a question: There is a lot of anger about the lore surrounding this character. Is it as bad as it looks? Does this character's existence really shake the lore as much as it seems they must, or is it closer in heft to Zaeed or Kasumi?

It's sad, really, because I'm now torn - ME3 really should be a day 1 purchase, given the pedigree, but if this really is significant, plot-shaking content carved off into DLC, then that's not really something that I can get behind.

parent

[-]jessicamerizan[S] 19 points 1 hour ago

I hope you understand that I'm in a position where to reassure you, it would require me to reveal story spoilers, something that I don't think is acceptable.

Personally, I began my career as an archaeologist (for serious!) and the events surrounding this new character speak to me. However, if it wasn't DLC, it definitely wouldn't have been in the main game. There's other things that didn't fit in the main game that may end up as future DLC.

Again, I think this is a cool edition and definitely intended as a reward for serious fans (many of whom have purchased the collector's edition so this isn't even an issue for them). However, I have played the game without it and the lore surrounding the DLC is in the game already, this character just gives their own take on it.

Was that any less vague or helpful to anyone? :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked