Day one DLC?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

idarkphoenixi:

Blazing Steel:

idarkphoenixi:
"Ha, we can cut out chunks of what should be in the original game but oh well, pay us even more money."

The content was made after the game was considered 'finished' in an aim in make it better. It was never 'cut out'. Also it is being made free... for collectors edition.

It's not free then is it? Unless collectors edition is the same price as regular one.
If you actually want to believe this was made later go ahead but this is far from the first EA/Bioware game that just 'happens' to have day 1 DLC. This was planned from the very start and they just made up that whole story in an attempt to calm players down.

Even if it is true, so what? The game isnt even out yet! Meaning that what they made should still come as one package. As I said before, if it's not game changing (skins, weapon camos, soundtracks, artwork ect.. Then fine, that's more understandable but a prothean is a huge deal for ME fans and this is abusing their loyalty to the lore.

So they lied to us them because they said that they produced it after. The prothean is still in the game, but in the normal edition he declines to offer to join your squad. So you loose nothing that's important to lore.

Aris Khandr:

Angry Juju:
OT: It's what this guy was saying, they could (should) have easily included the character into the game, and they should have, because it was ready by the game's release date, or they could have at least held the DLC for a later release so it's clear what significance the character holds within the game's story.

Why? The character is for the Collector's Edition of the game first. It's offered as DLC for those who didn't buy it if they decided they wanted it. Why hold it back, and thus take away value from the CE just so the people who didn't buy it will complain less?

Because i'm pretty sure that the amount of people buying the CE is a lot less than the amount of people buying ME3.

And no one said that they can't give it to people who bought the CE for free...

I finally found something that describes my feelings about this whole situation:

spartandude:

Windcaler:

When I put $60 into a game Im paying for all the development that was done prior to the games release. If content was developed during release but not finished it should be released later as free DLC (see Shale from Dragon age origins).

I dont think it makes a bit of difference when the DLC comes out. If that DLC was funded by the initial development cost (what we pay for in our initial $60 investment) then consumers have a right to it. By not providing that content (content that was paid for by the development fund) Bioware has ensured that their game is incomplete. Anyone can claim that this was done after the game was complete but the cost of development for this DLC is still coming from the original development fund. Its what our initial investment pays for and what gamers are entitled to.

Any DLC that is made after release and not paid for by the initial development fund is free game for extra costs.

This guy knows what hes talking about and its strange how the people in favour of day one dlc have ignored him

Because he does not, in fact, know what he is talking about. When you buy a game, you are paying for whatever the people who made the game decide to offer to you. You have a right to whatever is in the package you bought. If you don't buy the Collector's Edition, then you don't get what comes in the Collector's Edition, no matter when it was developed. If you don't like that, then don't buy the game. But acting like they owe you any more than that is deluding yourself.

day 1 dlc = day 1 pirate. you cut content for the sake of reselling it later is such a blatant middle finger to your fans that you dont deserve any kind of money for it at all.

Wuvlycuddles:

Blazing Steel:

As oposed to all the other developers who make a game and while the game is classified sit on their arse. They could have easy not made it. Also all the DLC really does is allow you to recruit the dude and do a loyalty type mission, which was the same as every other DLC character so it's in keeping with their business plan. 10 for it? Yea sounds about right for the Mass Effect fan. These are people like me who will play through the game 3-4 times if not more which will add up to aroud a days play time. So for me anyway (the mass effect fan it's aimed at) it's a decent price.

Also untill it comes out we won't know if it's worth 10, so stop getting your panties in a twist untill it's out. If it has HUGE plot significance then we can talk about Bioware being evil.

Wow, I'm sure all those hardworking devs who bring us patches and bug fixes on launch day will love to hear you say that!

Also, I hate the implication I am not a Mass Effect fan. I am btw and I did buy all the dlc I could for the previous games and I have even pre-ordered ME3. But I recognize when I am being jerked around. Consider the Cerberus Network thingy which included Zaeed, which we all got free for supporting Bioware and buying ME2 new. Consider the Stolen Memories DLC which was half the price of this launch day DLC.

Well I got the PS3 edition so all the DLC but one came with it, but thats not the point. All developers charge for DLC now, and it's rare if they give it to us for free. All the DLC does it let you recruit the new character. It's not going to change the lore and it's not going to alter your experence that much so I don't see whats the problem charging for something optional. It would be nice if it was free but in their goals it goes money first then fans and thats just a fact of business. Also wasn't trying to imply you weren't a fan just trying to fraze a Bioware video.

Angry Juju:

Aris Khandr:

Angry Juju:
OT: It's what this guy was saying, they could (should) have easily included the character into the game, and they should have, because it was ready by the game's release date, or they could have at least held the DLC for a later release so it's clear what significance the character holds within the game's story.

Why? The character is for the Collector's Edition of the game first. It's offered as DLC for those who didn't buy it if they decided they wanted it. Why hold it back, and thus take away value from the CE just so the people who didn't buy it will complain less?

Because i'm pretty sure that the amount of people buying the CE is a lot less than the amount of people buying ME3.

No, you're just saying that they should delay the release of one of the most unique parts of the CE until after most of us have gone through the game at least once, and thus lose the impact of having it for our most enjoyable playthrough. In counterpoint, I say that they should have left the character CE only and not sold it to those who didn't buy it at all. Then we'd see some real complaining, wouldn't we?

Aris Khandr:

Angry Juju:

Aris Khandr:

No, you're just saying that they should delay the release of one of the most unique parts of the CE until after most of us have gone through the game at least once, and thus lose the impact of having it for our most enjoyable playthrough. In counterpoint, I say that they should have left the character CE only and not sold it to those who didn't buy it at all. Then we'd see some real complaining, wouldn't we?

Shit, I was just going to make a post pointing that out. If the Prothean was only on the Collecter's Edition and there was no other way to get him, there would have been a huge fucking shitstorm. Much, much larger than the current one. I mean, it's a fucking Prothean!! You all know it, I know it, they know it. The backlash it would have caused, especially with how late it was announced, would have been catastrophic. People saying that we're lucky that they even decided to release it as DLC are naive if they think there was ever a chance it wouldn't have been released.

The Prothean was part of the original game? Yes

Was he planned to be DLC? Not until halfway into the development cycle apparently.

Was he going to be a main part of the story? Original Leaks say yes, new leaks dont have him even be a part of the main plot.

Is it wrong that they changed the plot midway through development? uncertain, this is an opinion based question and your opinion is just as valid as the next persons, as long as it isnt based around assumptions and generalizations.

Could Bioware just have kept the DLC to Collectors Edition Buyers? Yes

Would it have caused outrage? people have been angry because an NPC wore a low neckline dress, Im pretty sure it would have.

Is this DLC something I need to fulfill my gaming experience? Not really

Are people entitled to their opinion on not buying the Game because of the DLC? Yeah they are.

Should Bioware have made the DLC for free? I dont think so, from the looks of it the multiplayer was the freebie this time around.

Will people keep making threads about ME3? Yep, all the way through march im expecting.

Of course people would be happy if it was 3 months later. Then they could tell themselves that the developers were working on this outside of the magical time-limit where apparently gamers own there souls and they are the customers bitch and must give them anything they develop during that time. Honestly it might be more lucrative to pay developers to do nothing during down time just to keep the whinny gamers from starting hate campaigns when developers create material during the end of a game cycle. Nevermind if they had originally planned this in the first place and thus it has always been DLC or you know the developers thoughts on the issues in general since that would get in the way of all this rage. Honestly, if this weren't all based on a set of largely irrational notions then I'd be more sympathetic but all I've heard so far is a mountain of things that are either dumb or I don't agree with.

Aris Khandr:

Angry Juju:

Aris Khandr:

I can refute those points easily, because you basically just repeated what you said in your first reply to me, with the addition of you thinking that if they did delay it then they wouldn't add more level content to the DLC (which to be fair, they probably wouldn't. it's EA).

However I really can't be bothered to argue about this. neither of us are going to change our opinion on the matter so i'm going to stop this here.

We have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise it will just get worse.

Hasn't it already been explained that the game was ready for the original release date (like almost 3 months ago I believe) but a publishing concern pushed the date back to now. That's when Bioware decided to release the Prothean dlc on day one, because this is about when normal dlc would be coming out anyway. My point being, it's not just cashing in on extra money, Bioware is trying not to punish its players anymore because of the delay in release

Angry Juju:
I can refute those points easily, because you basically just repeated what you said in your first reply to me, with the addition of you thinking that if they did delay it then they wouldn't add more level content to the DLC (which to be fair, they probably wouldn't. it's EA).

However I really can't be bothered to argue about this. neither of us are going to change our opinion on the matter so i'm going to stop this here.

No, really, I want to know. Why is it okay to be upset about "not getting your money's worth" because of the DLC, but totally acceptable to delay a part of the CE for those of us who paid for it? Because with the non-CE game, you get exactly what they told you that you would. But if they delayed that character, suddenly the CE is *actually* missing part of the advertised package. Not perception, not "they developed it before launch so we deserve it", something they really advertised and then failed to deliver. Why is that okay?

I don't think it would be as big of a deal if it wasn't a prothean, I mean finding a live one sounds like a gargantuan plot point, so it really seems like they are slicing out core parts of the game, also, didn't they do the exact same thing for Zaeed in 2, but he was free if you bought the game new? And this one is 10 bucks? What the hell!

Blazing Steel:

Well I got the PS3 edition so all the DLC but one came with it, but thats not the point. All developers charge for DLC now, and it's rare if they give it to us for free. All the DLC does it let you recruit the new character. It's not going to change the lore and it's not going to alter your experence that much so I don't see whats the problem charging for something optional. It would be nice if it was free but in their goals it goes money first then fans and thats just a fact of business. Also wasn't trying to imply you weren't a fan just trying to fraze a Bioware video.

Oh so we should just hand over our money for a crappy bit of dlc they farted out over an evening?

I think you are missing my point, which is that other companies manage to not only offer better dlc cheaper/more content at the same price but also manage to generate a lot of goodwill toward their company which ensures that we will purchase future products from them. Hell, even if they don't care about the consumer at least other companies at least pretend to care. And don't give me any of that good business guff, other companies have set the standards and EA/Bioware are flying well below them.

I feel like some small part of me is hoping, and I know it's incredibly stupid and illogical, but that if I buy enough Bioware games they'll make themselves enough money to buy themselves out from under EA, and continue to be one of the best groups of storytellers in the medium without all of the EA BS. That would, obviously, be ideal. Unfortunately it will never happen.

I have the same problem with EA that I do with Ubisoft. I absolutely love a very large number of games that each publisher has put out. Unfortunately, I hate them as publishers and the way they treat their consumers.

I also feel like if Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim can both sell well and be challengers to games like Call of Duty, that says good things about where the industry is heading, at least in terms of respecting the single-player experience (Skyrim) and the value of strong story, characters, and world-building (Mass Effect 3 and somewhat Skyrim for the world-building bit).

Here endeth the only somewhat on-topic grab-bag of my thoughts on related topics.

Furioso:
I don't think it would be as big of a deal if it wasn't a prothean, I mean finding a live one sounds like a gargantuan plot point, so it really seems like they are slicing out core parts of the game, also, didn't they do the exact same thing for Zaeed in 2, but he was free if you bought the game new? And this one is 10 bucks? What the hell!

I assure you, the Prothean is not a Gargantuan Plot point, he does give very colorful insights into the Lore of the ME universe, but he isnt really that important to the plot of the main game.

Wuvlycuddles:

Blazing Steel:

Oh so we should just hand over our money for a crappy bit of dlc they farted out over an evening? Thats your prerogative, luckily enough the DLC seems to add lots of bioware dialogue to the mix, is that a good thing or a bad thing, well that is certainly an opinion that people will have to form for themselves.

I think you are missing my point, which is that other companies manage to not only offer better dlc cheaper/more content at the same price but also manage to generate a lot of goodwill toward their company which ensures that we will purchase future products from them.

Yes they do, that is why you are absolutely free to purchase their products and support them, if you disagree with anything a company does, you are free to also not buy their products and not support them, but demand that they give you free content just because another company does it, and then getting angry when they say no and venting over it on the internet will not endear you to people that do not hold your same line of thought, or that are satisfied with their experiences with the company you dont agree with

Hell, even if they don't care about the consumer at least other companies at least pretend to care. And don't give me any of that good business guff, other companies have set the standards and EA/Bioware are flying well below them.

you are free not to buy their products.

nikki191:

*edit* i did laugh at myself defending EA and bioware in this when at this stage it will be the last bioware game i purchase

Mhmmm , SUUUUUUURE IT IS. You say that now but then you see the trailer for their next original game and that armor slowly whittles away. Perhaps you will have the fortitude to boycott the game at first but then you get curious after the multitude of memes that originate from the game so you watch videos on youtube and go ooh look how awesome that game is. Let's be honest with ourselves you may not like EA/Bioware but they make a damn good product. Don't deny it you know it to be true =P

Bioware really messed up. They should have made us wait at least two months before releasing any DLC; give everybody a chance to have beaten the game and moved on to something else before releasing a minor, unimportant addition to the game.

Wuvlycuddles:

Blazing Steel:

Oh so we should just hand over our money for a crappy bit of dlc they farted out over an evening?

I think you are missing my point, which is that other companies manage to not only offer better dlc cheaper/more content at the same price but also manage to generate a lot of goodwill toward their company which ensures that we will purchase future products from them. Hell, even if they don't care about the consumer at least other companies at least pretend to care. And don't give me any of that good business guff, other companies have set the standards and EA/Bioware are flying well below them.

For me the DLC is worth the time I will spend playing the game. Also Activision offers lots of cod maps for around the same price and everyone loves them for it. Right?

Look I understand that it's not the biggest DLC in the world, but if you break down Call of Duty Elite then you end up playing a couple of quid for a map, or horse armor which PC moded in, but console gamers were charged. We've have been paying for little things for a long time. I personally judge how much I spend to my time/enjoyment to see whether I buy the DLC. In Mass Effect 3's case I will pay because of the time spent enjoying it.

If you want something extra eg. cheese in a burger you have to pay for it no matter how small.

... I really dunno what to say here, but I'll try regardless ...
Pricing on Games is still a major issue. We pay 50 bucks, plus DLC. Compare that to games from the past decades without DLC: 50 bucks, nothing else.
Yes, sure, the games with DLC offer more content, and as such need to be more expensive ... But paying around a hundred bucks on the full potential of a game (or, as we have those precious figures of around ... 500 bucks for all ME3 content, iirc), is overpriced. Sure, production is expensive ... But this goes straight against the principles of a free market ...
As consumers we should demand the lowest price possible. And right now we're doing the exact opposite: Pay whatever we can afford.
A movie with a similar budget to a current gen AAA game goes to the theatres with 10 to 20 bucks ticket prices ... Don't tell me there are more movie consumers than gamers ... Even if there are, it's definitely not three-fold or more.

FEichinger:
... I really dunno what to say here, but I'll try regardless ...
Pricing on Games is still a major issue. We pay 50 bucks, plus DLC. Compare that to games from the past decades without DLC: 50 bucks, nothing else.
Teh decade before that, you would pay 80 for a game that had no ending and was the same rehashed level over and over again.

Yes, sure, the games with DLC offer more content, and as such need to be more expensive ... But paying around a hundred bucks on the full potential of a game (or, as we have those precious figures of around ... 500 bucks for all ME3 content, iirc), is overpriced. Sure, production is expensive

Flawed argument, based on flawed information, you do not have to pay 500 dollars for the full potential just yet, at most you pay 80 for CE which already has all the main game DLC, and 25 bucks for a rifle that will be available only for Multiplayer.

... But this goes straight against the principles of a free market ...

No it doesnt, supply and demand is the heart of the free market, if supply high, price drops, if Demand is high, Prices Rise.

As consumers we should demand the lowest price possible.

This is correct

And right now we're doing the exact opposite: Pay whatever we can afford.

Thats your opinion on your habits, dont speak for other people or generalize

A movie with a similar budget to a current gen AAA game goes to the theatres with 10 to 20 bucks ticket prices
... Don't tell me there are more movie consumers than gamers ... Even if there are, it's definitely not three-fold or more.

a movie that will provide an hour of entertainment for 10-20 dollars, agaisnt a game that will provide 50 or 60 hours of entertainment for 60-80 dollars.

I leave the math up to you.

the dlc of one character for expensive game cost way more than buying various, full and awesome games off steam. Ot even just play one of the many good free to play steam games.

Steam is not a monopoly, in my eyes they are just the ones that offer the better service.

Also if you are going to buy it, buy it.

if you feel they are ripping you off, don't buy it.

Simple as that,we don't need 7 threads to complain about this game, especialy when it just turn into a flamewar within 3 post of people saying we are entitled or not to content.

touhg i really wish we could go back to the times when dlc was called and expansion pack and could be consider a game on it's own merits. (the closer to that this generation being the lost and dammed and ballad of gay tony for gta 4)

If the DLC is something the game needs to have for it to be complete, like the game was shipped without the entire end missions, and the company is asking you to pay something to get it, then yes that's a reason to be upset. They did not provide a complete experience and they expect you to pay for their incomplete work, which is not really fair for me the consumer.

If the DLC adds nothing to main missions and only provides ancillary things like extra racial choices, side quests, new areas to explore, and ultra powerful weapons and armor, then I would not mind paying a little extra for it.

This extra DLC clearly does nothing to the main game and having it is not necessary, so quit acting like little children and either pay for it or ignore it entirely. This little asinine kvetching on the Internet means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Extra content that required extra time and money to produce should cost extra, you wouldn't work extra hours without pay would you? As long as we're not just downloading an unlock file for content already on the disk I'm fine with it. Theres a myriad of reasons content couldn't be included in the base game, such as keeping with the production schedule, adding the content screws up already finished portions of the game, and others.

Angry Juju:

Diablo2000:
The problem is not "I have to pay extra for a character", I don't have problem if they are good character. The problem is that day one DLC passes a massage and that massage is "We could have included that in the game but we decided to make a few extra bucks instead so suck it up, you worthless worm, we know you buy it anyway"

That sad thing is we will buy it anyway...

I don't mean to be 'that guy' but a 'massage' is something which can involve backrubs and oil. I think you were meant to say 'message'. It's impossible to say that without sounding like adouche but they're two different words.

It's alright grammar nazi... English isn't my first language anyway.

OT: I am not against DLC, I do pay for them if they are good DLC like the Read Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare or the GTA IV episodes... I am against that kind of DLC that cut contend of the original game in order to make more money, like that "From Ashes".

Diablo2000:

Angry Juju:

Diablo2000:
The problem is not "I have to pay extra for a character", I don't have problem if they are good character. The problem is that day one DLC passes a massage and that massage is "We could have included that in the game but we decided to make a few extra bucks instead so suck it up, you worthless worm, we know you buy it anyway"

That sad thing is we will buy it anyway...

I don't mean to be 'that guy' but a 'massage' is something which can involve backrubs and oil. I think you were meant to say 'message'. It's impossible to say that without sounding like a douche but they're two different words.

It's alright grammar nazi... English isn't my first language anyway.

No need to get touchy about it. I'm doing you a favor for the future.

Okay seriously, fuck off. We are up to like 50,002 of these goddamn threads now and not one of them brings up any new or interesting points.
This is another reason people leave the escapist forums, everyone here is just so goddamn unoriginal and recycles the same threads over and over thinking their opinion is somehow worth a new topic.

But on topic for the 50,002nd time. Day One DLC is a problem because even though they claim they don't start it until the game has already gone to print, for a large portion of shit it is clear that they had it all planned beforehand. Unless they just wrote the story, planned out how it fit into the universe and programmed it all within 3 months which aint fucking likely.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
Okay seriously, fuck off. We are up to like 50,002 of these goddamn threads now and not one of them brings up any new or interesting points.
Endings, sheps underwear

This is another reason people leave the escapist forums, everyone here is just so goddamn unoriginal and recycles the same threads over and over thinking their opinion is somehow worth a new topic.

But on topic for the 50,002nd time. Day One DLC is a problem because even though they claim they don't start it until the game has already gone to print, for a large portion of shit it is clear that they had it all planned beforehand. Unless they just wrote the story, planned out how it fit into the universe and programmed it all within 3 months which aint fucking likely.

It was planned, it doesnt really have an impact on the main story anymore.

Diablo2000:

Aris Khandr:

Diablo2000:

They did put it into the game. In the Collector's Edition. Which they told you they were going to do months ago.

So my options are pay more for it or pay more for it?

Yes, because it's elective content aka not necessary to beat the game, and expecting to get additional non-crucial content for free makes you sound like an entitled child. Speaking as a game artist in training, if I heard that people wanted me to put dozens of hours of effort into making a cool add-on, then have them expect to get it for free, I'd have a very strong urge to barbecue them over a volcano. You didn't pay for this add on, so you won't get it. Stop whining about it.

The Heik:

Diablo2000:

Aris Khandr:

They did put it into the game. In the Collector's Edition. Which they told you they were going to do months ago.

Yes, because it's elective content aka not necessary to beat the game, and expecting to get additional non-crucial content for free makes you sound like an entitled child.Speaking as a game artist in training, if I heard that people wanted me to put dozens of hours of effort into making a cool add-on, then have them expect to get it for free, I'd have a very strong urge to barbecue them over a volcano. You didn't pay for this add on, so you won't get it. Stop whining about it.

Alright I will say this once more with my caps lock on this time around... I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING PROBLEM WITH DLC! I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM OF THEY CUTTING CONTENT IN THE GAME AND SELLING TO ME LATER ON(GREAT DEAL OF GOOD DLC WAS BORN THAT WAY)! MY PROBLEM IS THEY COULD HAVE INCLUDED THAT IN THE FUCKING GAME AND DECIDED THAT THEY WOULDN'T DO IT IN FAVOR OF SOME EXTRA BUCKS.

I'm not child, I don't expect to simply be given everything for free. I will probably ending up paying the extra for it and however is released later if I feel it's worth it. Doesn't make me feel any less cheated thought.

I don't think they are immoral, but I do think they are stupid as businessmen, because they are sacrificing the future of their brand to try and make a quick buck now. Without brand loyalty they will sink like a stone, loyalty is the only reason people are even having a debate about DLC instead of just ignoring the entire game.

I went up the other day and spent 15 euro on 1200 MS points to get the battlefield 3 map pack. So I go home and get it and how big is the download? 108 f**king kilobytes! They shipped the maps on the god damn disc and the download opens it. So this is even worse than the ME3 DLC because that was finished after the game went to print (or so they say). And what my friends is the common thread in all this?? . . . . . . F**king EA the horrible shits I have recently grown to hate them a great deal !

The Heik:

Diablo2000:

Aris Khandr:

Yes, because it's elective content aka not necessary to beat the game, and expecting to get additional non-crucial content for free makes you sound like an entitled child. Speaking as a game artist in training, if I heard that people wanted me to put dozens of hours of effort into making a cool add-on, then have them expect to get it for free, I'd have a very strong urge to barbecue them over a volcano. You didn't pay for this add on, so you won't get it. Stop whining about it.

Yes, how dare a person who are about to spend money on a product, state what that product should contain before they are willing to pay for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked