Bioware allows the release of "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3" a tell all app for $2.99 WTF?!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

The Wykydtron:
It was Bioware's best writing to date as far as i'm concerned. Remember Mordin's death?...

No, I don't. Cause I got Mordin killed at the end of ME2. This has been my strongest temptation to go back and do a "retcon" of an undesirable outcome of my decisions, which I have been avoiding for the sake of keeping my storyline pure, or something.

Kind of weird, right, that I would want to un-kill one of my characters cause I think he would get a better death later? But then, maybe that makes me the kind of person that would like the end of 3 when I finally get there (I'm sure I have a while before Steam gets it).

TheSchaef:

The Wykydtron:
It was Bioware's best writing to date as far as i'm concerned. Remember Mordin's death?...

No, I don't. Cause I got Mordin killed at the end of ME2. This has been my strongest temptation to go back and do a "retcon" of an undesirable outcome of my decisions, which I have been avoiding for the sake of keeping my storyline pure, or something.

Kind of weird, right, that I would want to un-kill one of my characters cause I think he would get a better death later? But then, maybe that makes me the kind of person that would like the end of 3 when I finally get there (I'm sure I have a while before Steam gets it).

Ah, that reminds me of Legion. I lost him back in ME2 because apparently I picked the wrong first fire team leader... So my correct tech expert dies. Wat? Really could have used him come the Quarian chapter. Why did you have to take a rocket to the face old friend?

Annnnd I accidentally sold him to Cerberus in my second one. This why you check what you're saying rather than click bottom right into infinity. Should be fun to see how he ties in from there though

Mordin never died for me though... Only Thane and Legion in seperate playthroughs. He's the squishiest guy of them all, so many horror stories of perfect runs getting ruined by stray dice rolls killing Mordin.

My perfect run Shep is up last. Wait for me Legion... Imma comin' for you buddy.

Jarek Mace:
"You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe"

And then we realised that Casey Hudson was indoctrinated by the Rea-... I mean EA.

+1.

I'd pay that as a good enough excuse, EA comes in 'no, this is too good, make it worse' so they did!

alrekr:

Adam Jensen:
Like all the unanswered questions about the Island in LOST.

Hate to break it to you but everything in LOST got resolved and explained. They had the same ending as Ashes to Ashes (sequel to Life on Mars).

First of all, that is bullshit. Everyone die and goes to the world in the flash forwards in the final season but they never mention that they were already dead when they died. Even if it was, how does it make sense that a polar bear was in purgatory because it was in a comic book before they died? They actually found an old bear cage in the dharma base. That is one of the few questions that they answered.

OT, I don't even... the final boss was to "video gamey"? IT'S A VIDEOGAME! At least let us shoot him once.

Zorg Machine:

OT, I don't even... the final boss was to "video gamey"? IT'S A VIDEOGAME! At least let us shoot him once.

you do get to shoot him... or you can actually get him to shoot himself

So... I'm gonna just go ahead and say that Mass Effect fans are the new Sonic fans

Redd the Sock:
Too video gamey? Sorry, what were we playing again?

I'm convinced the ending was a good idea poorly done, and this confirms they made some bad artistic choices in how they came to the ending.

there a reasonable explanation, they had a good idea of how to end it and it was poorly done. that is what i call a reasonable opinion of the situation which to my mind has over exploded and no matter what Bioware says to justify it or correct it, they will never make the fans happy.

Mass Effect fans will never be happy no matter what. Every little detail before this game came out blew up in burning hatred. 10x worse since the game came out. Some justified , some not.

Though at first, the ending did make me feel my choices = NOTHING, because of the A, B, C end. But, in the long run (playing it repeatedly) I'm on the "good idea poorly done" bandwagon.

Liquidacid23:

Zorg Machine:

How to kill illusive man. 1) talk him to death 2) QTE 3) just wait

You are not allowed to kill him, you are allowed to tell the game to kill him. It didn't have to be a boss fight as such but at least let us aim.

Zorg Machine:

Liquidacid23:

Zorg Machine:

How to kill illusive man. 1) talk him to death 2) QTE 3) just wait

You are not allowed to kill him, you are allowed to tell the game to kill him. It didn't have to be a boss fight as such but at least let us aim.

cause he isn't the end boss... Marauder Shields was

not to mention TiM is like 5 foot away from you... even if they let you aim and pull the trigger it would be nothing more than a glorified QTE

Adam Jensen:

The Wykydtron:
The rest of the game was pure awesomeness! Nobody seems to remember that and just harp the fuck on about the ending.

That's because the ending was equivalent to that of having a good dog for 10 years and one day he suddenly decides to murder your entire family. After that you don't remember the good times you had with the dog, you only remember the horror of seeing your entire family slaughtered by someone you trusted.

Maybe I'm overreacting with the killer dog analogy, but the point is that we were betrayed by someone we trusted for years. And it hurts.

Let's take that analogy down to a bite.

And that's what hurt's the most, you loved that dog for 10 year's, trusted it. Maybe it ran away once or twice, or shit in your bed that one time but you still loved it. Then when it attacks you your hurt not only physically but mentally. Sure it's not rare for dog's to attack people, but in your mind you think not this dog.

The new ending coming out is something like rehabilitation for that dog, and while we can't forget the bite maybe we can move forward.

thebobmaster:
That last part sounds like the indoctrination theory was dead on.

That was my first thought as well. Reading that, it makes the theory seem twenty times more likely than it already was, and I was already just about convinced.

Arina Love:
ME3 turned me from bioware fan in to bioware hater. Never again my money will go to them.

im still scratching my head how what was my favourite game in 32 years of gaming lost the plot in 5 minutes and disappointed me so much. i had planned for ME3 to be my last bioware game as they are goin in a different direction with games (DA2,C&C generals 2, etc) than what i like which is fine but now i have no intention of wasting a cent more on anything my bioware. i dont hate them i respect them for making a product i consider personally 99% awesome but as much as i do have that respect i dont trust them anymore

I want a post-game party with the squad.

Is that too much to ask?

Blachman201:
I think RedLetterMedia said it best (paraphrased):

"Stories doesn't necessarily have to conform to the rules. But unless you really know what you are doing, you shouldn't stray too far away from the known formula."

In the end, neither Mac Walters or Casey Hudson had the required competence. In the end it just comes across as trying too hard to rip off the Matrix, 2001, and Deus Ex, when they should have sticked to the Star Wars/Star Trek vibe they had going so far.

Well the point that keeps being missed is the spectre of "franchise potential" floating over everything involving this game and it's ending.

The trilogy was supposed to end with all the answers, and that was even promised in the hype. Saying that they said this, and then planned intentionally not to give the answers and create a divisive ending that would feature a ton of speculation (and be ideal for a franchise since they could drag a lot of the answers out into other material) is pretty damning.

Honestly, I am sort of hoping that the lawsuit against them for false/deceptive advertising goes through, as this confession here should pretty much be a slam dunk for the whole thing and hopefully teach the industry as a whole a lesson.

I mean honestly, I'd like to see a proper ending, even if don't think the current ending was quite as bad as some say. At the same time though when I read things like this and look at the promises beforehand it fills me with anger over things that have little to do with the ending itself.

Many people might disagree, but to me it does look like an intentional plan to defraud gamers, especially with the money to be made from ewasily turning it into a franchise at stake. The less they do in finishing the trilogy, the more material they have ready and don't have to create to surprise people in the next few games.

wooty:
Still cant wait to buy and finish ME3, I take no rage and theories seriously from the gaming community anymore as it has a vast past history of overblowing everything into being an awful lot worse than it actually is/was.

Hmmm, well I think this one is a little differant in scale, largely because a lot of things have come to a head here, both with the industry in general, and with Bioware in paticular after the fiasco that was "Dragon Age 2".

I mean your correct, fan rage is usually something to overlook, but that's usually when it comes from a small minority of people. This is a case where they really have upset the overwhelming majority, and unlike cases where people talk a lot of crap about boycotts and legal action, we actually have legal action starting, and money being spent... as in the community is actually taking action.

This also touches lightly on subjects like DLC, the increasing greed of the industry and how they planned to spin this into a franchise and how that doubtlessly affected the integrity of the ending, and of course issues like the gaming industry lying about and mis-representing their products. Not to mention the whole issue of how unlike say a movie where you can frequently get your money back if a lot of people don't like it, once you spend $60 on a game your pretty much stuck with it, even if they decide to wreck the whole thing with bad writing.... all that fan rage over numerous issues starting to come to a head. A group of people can only be abused and exploited so long.

There is also a side issue of integrity in game journalism, most pro-reviewers were giving this game perfect or near perfect scores, despite an ending which is quite honestly worthy of the criticism. Anyone in touch with the community should have realized this and rated it accodingly, and that did not happen. This leads to questions about professional reviewers becoming out of touch with those they represent, and simply an extension of a game's advertising and marketing department.

It's about a lot of things, and honestly I don't think this is going to be isolated to be honest, especially if the industry doesn't start to reform itself. I think your wrong to so quickly dismiss this one. It's getting attention from the bigwigs at EA/Bioware, and also people all accross the gaming industry specifically because it goes beyond fan ranting.

TheSchaef:

Nah, my first play through of all three games I did complete "in the dark" and I let the chips fall wherever they fell. Didn't look at guides, didn't go back and undo anything. So, understandable I'd say.

I don't think that attitude will affect your opinion of the ending, for better or worse.

8-Bit_Jack:
So... I'm gonna just go ahead and say that Mass Effect fans are the new Sonic fans

At first I was terrified by all of this, how terribly people reacted to it all. But now, I'm just having fun. This is the most fun I've had on the internet in a long time.

*Spoiler*
Er, in regards to the Indoctrination theory crap:

Does anyone have an answer for why the prothean VI doesn't pick up on Shep's indoctrination?

If every time he sees the kid he's at least partially indoctrinated, including the beginning on earth, then why doesn't the VI notice it on Thessia or the Cerberus Base?

If Shep wasn't experiencing any signs of indoctrination, then the theory falls out the window, since Shep was 100% indoctrination free on the Cerberus base, but is suddenly indoctrinated less than 24 hours later on Earth. To quote the codex:

"Rapid indoctrination is possible, but causes this decay in days or weeks. Slow, patient indoctrination allows the thrall to last for months or years."

So if he is indoctrinated, and it is "rapid onset indoctrination," then that means you have an insane or mentally degraded Shepard to look forward too when he "wakes up" in the Deep Breath cutscene.

Wonderful... Remind me again why this theory gives people so much hope?

I honestly saw the ending before it happened. It was over ten years ago. It was called Deus EX CASEY HUDSON YOU LYING PIECE OF..............(deep breath)......You know what this has made me realize? They didn't have an ending. They never did. They didn't want to think that hard or take responsibility for it. They figured that they could tack on something at the end because giving people what they wanted couldn't have improved sales or made people praise Bioware. In all honesty it wouldn't have been that bad. Seriously if you took out the mass relays exploding and the whole Normandy crashing part, it would have been something I could choke down. With a bottle of Jameson yes, but it would have worked as some bullshit artistic ending. I'm still trying to picture the meeting where someone pitched this garbage and everyone just agreed to it like if they said no someone at EA would kill them off one by one. Seriously if you look on Youtube there are plenty of examples of much better endings and none of them would have cause as much of an uproar. Bioware tapped out on this one and they are paying for it. They once had a fan base that thought they could do no wrong and its all over now. Now what are they trying to do? Suck every last dime out of the fan like its all ok. I'm all for artistic expression, but if your business is selling shit, you should really want to give the customer what they want in stead of this ass. Yes people would have been mad no matter what, but this is the first time in video game history that anybody has had this large of a fan outcry. They and all the sites *COUGH* IGN *COUGH* *COUGH* might try to downplay it for whatever reason (MONEY or because one of their reporters is in the game), but really its just another fail. Problem is it's a fail so big with a franchise so beloved, not to mention people might have spent hundreds of hours and dollars on it. Now people are just hoping forking over more cash for a new ending fixes this. We all know it won't, but we'll give because we have before....

Look no one wanted a super "had to be explained ending", they just wanted it wrapped up, wanted it to have a sense of closure with as little plot holes as possible and with their decisions actually meaning something. That's all. What we as fans got was a story that was deep and compelling with awesome game play and ten minutes at the end that was a giant fuck you to anyone who cared about the story being told

Fail Bioware.....Fail

Mr Somewhere:

8-Bit_Jack:

At first I was terrified by all of this, how terribly people reacted to it all. But now, I'm just having fun. This is the most fun I've had on the internet in a long time.

I'm confused as to why i was quoted for this statement.

are you saying I'm wrong?

8-Bit_Jack:

Mr Somewhere:

8-Bit_Jack:

No, no, I'm agreeing with you. I liked your post, it certainly seems to be the case that sonic fans have been bested.

I just do not understand......

Even Halo Reach, with it's 'who can have the most glorious/heroic death' approach to characters, gave more closure and had a better ending.

Also I don't know why people seem to think massive amounts of speculation are good. If I want to have the maximum amount of speculation possible, I'll make a story up. If I am being told a story, I expect you to end it properly, not just a massive cliffhanger.

Cliffhangers are fine and everything, but they shouldn't encompass everything in the story.

Uszi:
*Spoiler*
Er, in regards to the Indoctrination theory crap:

Does anyone have an answer for why the prothean VI doesn't pick up on Shep's indoctrination?

If every time he sees the kid he's at least partially indoctrinated, including the beginning on earth, then why doesn't the VI notice it on Thessia or the Cerberus Base?

If Shep wasn't experiencing any signs of indoctrination, then the theory falls out the window, since Shep was 100% indoctrination free on the Cerberus base, but is suddenly indoctrinated less than 24 hours later on Earth. To quote the codex:

"Rapid indoctrination is possible, but causes this decay in days or weeks. Slow, patient indoctrination allows the thrall to last for months or years."

So if he is indoctrinated, and it is "rapid onset indoctrination," then that means you have an insane or mentally degraded Shepard to look forward too when he "wakes up" in the Deep Breath cutscene.

Wonderful... Remind me again why this theory gives people so much hope?

There are holes, but frankly I think any possibility that the ending we got essentially didn't exist, is great. If Bioware ran with what is essentially 'it was all a dream', I would still be annoyed, but I could at least go away having enjoyed Mass Effect as a series again.

Mr Somewhere:

8-Bit_Jack:

Mr Somewhere:

No, no, I'm agreeing with you. I liked your post, it certainly seems to be the case that sonic fans have been bested.

oh ok.

I have people that concur!

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
The more I hear about the ending, the less I want to play it. Its literally half an hour away. I could start the game right now and be with TIM in 5 minutes. But im still not sure I want to see the ending. Maybe I should just ignore it and be happier that way?

Do so. I regret playing it. The ending has ruined the rest of the games for many of us.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked