Best female characters

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Title kind of explains it all. With all the objectifying that has been in video games for so long, it is hard to find three dimensional female characters. I think the latest games have been doing a good job with female characters, all things considered. But who are the best female characters in video games ever? And how so?

Are we talking any characters or just protagonists? Bioware's written some pretty good three-dimensional females imo. This doesn't apply to ALL of their female characters though >.>

Can't be arsed doing the whole why-I-think-this-character-rocks thing, so here's a list off the top of my head...

EDIT: Actually, since I can't sleep, I guess I can be arsed to spend a bit more time on this. Yay insomnia.

- April Ryan
Not the most complex, defined or well developed character you'll ever meet but she more than makes up for it by being extremely well humanized and supremely relatable. I challenge you to find anyone who has played The Longest Journey who doesn't like and care about Miss Ryan.

- Liara T'soni
Well defined. Well humanized (alienized?) due to wide emotional range. Undergoes a significant arc. Her change from shy researcher to pragmatic and ruthless spymaster was handled a bit clumsily though.

- Jack/Subject Zero
Well defined with several "layers" and a sprinkling of quality development. The primal nihilistic bitch who doesn't give a damn covers up the emotionally crippled victim and the guilty survivor. Gotta say though, a tank top or singlet would have done wonders for her visual design.

- Avaline IaminformedhersecondnameisVallen
Mostly notable for managing to be a distinctly non-feminine female without resorting to cliche. Also, well characterized with multiple defining traits and all that.

- Alyx Vance
Kind of the go-to example of a female character that can be popular without swanning about in her underwear. Simple but well defined personality (to anyone keeping score, that's the fourth time I've used the word "defined".) Highly relatable and possessed of good emotional range.

Zhukov:
Can't be arsed doing the whole why-I-think-this-character-rocks thing, so, just off the top of my head...

- April Ryan
- Liara T'soni
- Jack/Subject Zero
- Avaline Whateverthehellhersecondnamewas
- Alyx Vance

Some good selections. Add to this...

Also SHODAN, if she counts as female. And since I'm referring to her a she, she should.

:P can't help but think you made this topic in response to my DoA topic. Heh, fair enough.

Though I do think it's a pretty difficult question to answer. Not just for females, but for videogame characters in general. Most games feature characters of both genders that can be defined very simply by one or two characteristics. "Oh he's the cold hard-ass of the group" and his personality reflects that. "Oh she's the witty one who always has some kind of snarky comment" and her personality reflects that. You'd have to look long and hard to find well developed characters of either gender, though I think Fappy is correct in saying that Bioware does pretty good at this, or at least comes close. A lot of their characters can still be boiled down to one or two traits.

Alyx Vance, Ashley Williams, Pyro from TF2 (maybe)

Kreia from KotOR2, obviously
Annah from Planescape: Torment, she's boring at first, but at the second half of the game she kinda picks up the slack
Kaelyn and Safiya from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

There are probably more, but I can't remember any that aren't mentioned already.

Tragedy's Rebellion:
Kreia

I second this. Kreia's the most interesting female in Star Wars imo.

Tough question. I'll add Kreia, Grace (from Spirit Engine 2), and Farah (but see below) to the list. But gaming draws on some genres with serious sexism issues, and it shows.

That said, games with objectification issues (sup, Witcher) can also have strong characters of both genders, as can some games with pretty serious levels of sexism-related writing fail (sup, Bioware).

Fappy:

She's the most interesting character in Star Wars in general :p

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Fappy:

See, I can't decide between her and Revan. Revan's pre-retcon character arc was fucking awesome.

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Fappy:

Yeah, I gotta say that Kreia is a damn good character. She's portrayed how a true Sith Lord is meant to be. Plucking and pulling the strings from the background while leaving everyone to wonder if she's truly wise or truly evil.

And just a note on KotOR II in general: I love the way the character development in that game works. The more dark-sided choices you make, the more your entire crew begins to become dark-sided. Same with making light-sided choices. You can elevate your crew to be bastions of justice, peace, and generosity, or you can drag them down to the depths of seething hate and anger. I thought it was really neat how your actions quite literally affect those around you.

BloatedGuppy:

Zhukov:
[snip]

Some good selections. Add to this...

[Jade.jpg]

Also SHODAN, if she counts as female. And since I'm referring to her a she, she should.

I never quite got Jade.

Sure, I think she's a fun character and I like her (it would be pretty hard not to) but in my view she never clawed her way into objectively-good-character territory. Although that "you were wrong, boy" monologue got her awfully close.

Also, I deliberately left out AIs and constructs.

Fappy:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Fappy:

See, I can't decide between her and Revan. Revan's pre-retcon character arc was fucking awesome.

:P That's because Revan was designed to be the most badass badass who ever declared himself/herself a badass. Seriously, the dark side ending to KotOR 1 is one of my favorite endings of all time. You put that upstart pretender Malak in his place and show him who is the TRUE master of the dark side! It's especially awesome if you find the secret Revan armor on the Star Forge.

RJ 17:

Fappy:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

:P That's because Revan was designed to be the most badass badass who ever declared himself/herself a badass. Seriously, the dark side ending to KotOR 1 is one of my favorite endings of all time. You put that upstart pretender Malak in his place and show him who is the TRUE master of the dark side! It's especially awesome if you find the secret Revan armor on the Star Forge.

But the lightside ending has one of my favorite lines in all of Star Wars:

"Could I have returned to the Light, as you did? If you had not led me down the dark path in the first place, what destiny would I have found?"

Really powerful moment right there.

To me it would be Samus Aran and Bayonetta. I find both characters have a nice figure without the big boob and they are both strong characters. also they both got interesting backstories about them.

RJ 17:

Fappy:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

If we are adding protagonists that CAN be female, then the Jedi Exile (Meetra Surik was her canon name I think) is a strong contender too (before they totally ruined her with the book).

Zhukov:
Also, I deliberately left out AIs and constructs.

You're prejudiced against AI's and constructs. This is why they try to kill us every 50,000 years.

Fappy:

RJ 17:

Fappy:

"Could I have returned to the Light, as you did? If you had not led me down the dark path in the first place, what destiny would I have found?"

:P Yeah, it really is a strong moment. It's been sooooooo long since I played the first one, I can't remember, but don't you try to convince Malak to come back to the light before you fight him? Cause I think I always remembered filling in Revan's response with "You made your choice Malak. For what it's worth, though, I am sorry."

Still, the dark side ending to KotOR was always my favorite. Taking back your dark empire from your treacherous apprentice is just all too satisfying. Oh, and you get to be just the absolute most HORRIBLE person in the galaxy on the beach planet before you leave for the Star Forge. "Zaalbar, as holder of your life-debt I command you to kill Mission." xD

Scarim Coral:
I find both characters have a nice figure without the big boob

Please tell me you're messing with us.

RJ 17:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Fappy:

Yeah, I gotta say that Kreia is a damn good character. She's portrayed how a true Sith Lord is meant to be. Plucking and pulling the strings from the background while leaving everyone to wonder if she's truly wise or truly evil.

Kreia wasn't a true Sith Lord. She was attempting to destroy the Force itself, because the Force is an asshole. She never once accumulated power for power's sake.

Also, my personal definition of deep characters is someone I could imagine as a real person, in which case the vast majority of characters qualify. Whether they have a tragically contrived past or have lived for more than 2 centuries does not qualify them as deep.

RJ 17:

Fappy:

RJ 17:

:P Yeah, it really is a strong moment. It's been sooooooo long since I played the first one, I can't remember, but don't you try to convince Malak to come back to the light before you fight him? Cause I think I always remembered filling in Revan's response with "You made your choice Malak. For what it's worth, though, I am sorry."

Still, the dark side ending to KotOR was always my favorite. Taking back your dark empire from your treacherous apprentice is just all too satisfying. Oh, and you get to be just the absolute most HORRIBLE person in the galaxy on the beach planet before you leave for the Star Forge. "Zaalbar, as holder of your life-debt I command you to kill Mission." xD

Yeah that was always hilarious to do. I just rage every time I get to that part since you can't kill Carth.

Kahunaburger:

Scarim Coral:

What? I tried of seeing the whole cliche of the female characters sex appeal is their large breast. Both Samus and Bayonetta have somewhat realistic figures and still have their appeal in their own ways like Bayonetta saucy behivour.

ravenshrike:

RJ 17:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

Kreia wasn't a true Sith Lord. She was attempting to destroy the Force itself, because the Force is an asshole. She never once accumulated power for power's sake.

I haven't read any books or anything but as I recall from what we see in KotOR II I do believe that she was, at one point, a Sith Lord before she was betrayed by Darth Frankenstein and Darth Void-Breath. And that's what made her want to destroy the force in the first place.

RJ 17:

ravenshrike:

RJ 17:

I haven't read any books or anything but as I recall from what we see in KotOR II I do believe that she was, at one point, a Sith Lord before she was betrayed by Darth Frankenstein and Darth Void-Breath. And that's what made her want to destroy the force in the first place.

She was a Sith Lord, but not out of lust for power, but because she felt betrayed by the jedi teachings and the jedi in general. She doesn't care about the sith ideology.

Scarim Coral:

Kahunaburger:

Scarim Coral:

What? I tried of seeing the whole cliche of the female characters sex appeal is their large breast. Both Samus and Bayonetta have somewhat realistic figures and still have their appeal in their own ways like Bayonetta saucy behivour.

The root of the problem is that our culture designs female characters around desirability to a heterosexual male audience, not that our culture equates desirability with boobage.

Hmmm I don' know, a lot of games with the female characters everyone seems to go on about I haven't played.
Still I list some I like, not in any particular order

Ashley Williams(ME, the 1st one at least) I know a lot of people didn't like her (or Kaiden for that matter) but I did. I thought she was a pretty grounded and believable character. I also think it's unfair that she gets labelled as racist when pretty much all of you squadmates aside from maybe Liara are as well and I think a lot of the hate she gets is from people misunderstanding her statements and because it more obvious since it comes up in the conversations you have with her whereas most the other squad mates are racist in elevator banter.

Morrigan (DA:O), yeah she is a complete bitch but I like her anyway.

On a similar vein Philippa (TW2) honestly the fanservice shit annoyed me a little bit but not enough to destroy her character for me and it didn't really offend me

Jen (primal) Tho it's been years since I played that game so this might be nostalgia speaking.

Lara croft (I think her problem was more marketing) . I know she isn't a very deep character, she is a ridiculously badass action heroine who is good at practically everything but it's fun.

Also from what I've seen of DA2 I like Avaline. I've not played DA2 tho because of all the other problems with it.

Kahunaburger:

Scarim Coral:

Kahunaburger:

The root of the problem is that our culture designs female characters around desirability to a heterosexual male audience, not that our culture equates desirability with boobage.

It's his(?) opinion and he is allowed to find them attractive because of their body type.

I am going to have to go with Nariko.

Scarim Coral:

Kahunaburger:

Scarim Coral:

Wait did you just say Bayonetta had a somewhat realistic figure? Are you on drugs or something? The chick with six foot long legs and oversized tits is supposed to be realistic?

Das Boot:
I am going to have to go with Nariko.

Scarim Coral:

Kahunaburger:

Wait did you just say Bayonetta had a somewhat realistic figure? Are you on drugs or something? The chick with six foot long legs and oversized tits is supposed to be realistic?

I said somewhat for a reason since I'm fully aware of her backbreaking agility. Also her breast is normal looking well compared to the others like Ivy or Kasumi etc.

DementedSheep:

Kahunaburger:

Scarim Coral:

It's his(?) opinion and he is allowed to find them attractive because of their body type.

The point is more that evaluating female characters based on whether he finds them attractive is massively missing the point of the thread.

Kahunaburger:

DementedSheep:

Kahunaburger:

The point is more that evaluating female characters based on whether he finds them attractive is massively missing the point of the thread.

Oh come on, I still said they are both strong characters. While I did say they had nice figure but it isn't that important to me seeing how Samus is wearing her suit most of the time (yes there's Zero Suit Samus but I am Samus with her suit on). I mean yes there are sexy game characters out there but what I like those two the most is their background and etc.

I'll have to mention April Ryan and Zoe Castillo from the Longest Journey series because of how well written their characters are. For once, their appeal came from their actions, decisions and motivations, rather than their sex appeal or how badass or even manly they are.

Also, I have high hopes for the new Lara Croft.

Let me just echo that Kreia is probably my favorite character from all video-game media in general. It's a crime the game was so rushed that the ending was completely botched; Star Wars narratives are usually complete rubbish--childish stories of good versus evil; KotOR II was surprisingly sophisticated.

DementedSheep:

Jen (primal) Tho it's been years since I played that game so this might be nostalgia speaking.

Nope, it's a dated game, but she's still awesome. Good call.

I like the female cast of FF XIII. The characters all have potential and are all different takes on the "action girl" role; too bad the script was rather cliche-ridden.

Scarim Coral:

Kahunaburger:

DementedSheep:

Oh come on, I still said they are both strong characters. While I did say they had nice figure but it isn't that important to me seeing how Samus is wearing her suit most of the time (yes there's Zero Suit Samus but I am Samus with her suit on). I mean yes there are sexy game characters out there but what I like those two the most is their background and etc.

You play Bayonetta for the story?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked