Surprise Me

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I find myself in the mood for something different. I love AAA titles as much as anyone else, but lately I find myself craving some new experiences, something I can take in smaller chunks at lower cost. So I'm asking you guys to help a guy out. I'm looking for some new games that offer me something interesting if not necessarily new and that are free or dirt cheap.

My budget is $10. No, seriously that is my entertainment budget for the month. It's a long story. My sister works in a theater so I get to see free movies on the weekends, but that's about it.

I'm a fan of RPGs, adventure games, management sims and some strategy games. I'd like to broaden my horizons into other genres a little bit, though I must warn you I only play PC right now. I don't have any real problem with consoles, it's just that I'm too left-handed to deal with the controllers. I work much, much better with a keyboard and mouse. I'm mostly looking for recent titles, though if there's a gem at GOG.com you think I should check out, I'll give it a look.

That in mind, what have you got?

DrVornoff:
snip

Cthulu saves the world is really good. And only costs about 1-2

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/deus_ex

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

I challenge anyone else to top this.

DrVornoff:
I find myself in the mood for something different. I love AAA titles as much as anyone else, but lately I find myself craving some new experiences, something I can take in smaller chunks at lower cost. So I'm asking you guys to help a guy out. I'm looking for some new games that offer me something interesting if not necessarily new and that are free or dirt cheap.

My budget is $10. No, seriously that is my entertainment budget for the month. It's a long story. My sister works in a theater so I get to see free movies on the weekends, but that's about it.

I'm a fan of RPGs, adventure games, management sims and some strategy games. I'd like to broaden my horizons into other genres a little bit, though I must warn you I only play PC right now. I don't have any real problem with consoles, it's just that I'm too left-handed to deal with the controllers. I work much, much better with a keyboard and mouse. I'm mostly looking for recent titles, though if there's a gem at GOG.com you think I should check out, I'll give it a look.

That in mind, what have you got?

You sound like a good candidate for Mount and Blade: Warband, but it only dips that low during sales, I believe. (Checks Steam). Yep, $19.99. Still, I've got almost 200 hours into it, so it's a really good value/dollar ratio once you get past the rough edges and into the meat.

King's Bounty: The Legend is $9.99 at GOG and provides many hours (50+) of HOMM clone tactical gaming buffed up with a thin veneer of stat based RPG.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is a chunky, fussy, action-RPG that is unique in tone and looks surprisingly good for an aging title. $9.99 at GOG and on Steam.

Jagged Alliance 2 is $9.99 at GOG, and is one of the finest strategy games ever made, and has aged like fine wine. With the (essential) 1.13 mod it can be bumped up to a passable resolution. Many hours of fantastic gaming there.

You may or may not have played many of these already.

I picked up Cthulhu Saves the World over the holidays and loved it. And I do enjoy Deus Ex, even if the beginning was a bit of a bitch to get through. I tried the Witcher, but lost interest about an hour in, mostly because the interface was counterintuitive and Geralt was an unlikable prick. Might give it another shot though since I still have it on Steam.

Matthew94:

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

I can. Deus Ex Complete Edition (that's the original plus Invisible War) on Amazon for 5.

Install both. Download fan-made HD textures / widescreen hacks. Happy days!

Baldur's Gate 2 Complete is 10 bucks at GOG

As is Planescape Torment

Icewind Dale Complete, both 1 and 2 are 10 bucks apiece

Alpha Centauri is 6

Freespace is also 6 with expansion

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is 6

Evil Genius might be a little short on time if you don't set challenges for yourself, but its 10

Unreal Tournament 2004 is an excellent arena shooter, from back when games were good old fun

Cryostasis is interesting if you're looking for an Amnesia-type game but with more cold survival horror theme than a castle

gog.com is probably your best bet. check it out if you haven't already

Actually, thinking about it, have you played the Icewind Dale games? They're also cheap on Amazon or GOG, and I personally think they're underrated - if you just want really great tactical RPG combat they are incredibly engaging.

Also, League of Legends is free. I've never been able to get into it, but if you like strategy and haven't played it give it a go. People who've put in the effort tell me it's amazing. leagueoflegends.com

ms_sunlight:

Matthew94:

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

I can. Deus Ex Complete Edition (that's the original plus Invisible War) on Amazon for 5.

Install both. Download fan-made HD textures / widescreen hacks. Happy days!

Lol I would pay 5 not to have IW on my HDD. It's a broken game and not fun at all.

daveman247:

DrVornoff:
snip

Cthulu saves the world is really good. And only costs about 1-2

If anybody wants to buy that - do yourselves a favour and buy the double pack on Steam - Cthulhu Saves the World + Breath of Death VII. The cost of the pack is 1.99 while each game is 1.99. Breath of Death is shorter and and less advanced than CStW but it's still worth playing.

But Cthulhu saves the World is just great on it's own, I loved it. Especially the Cthulhu's Angels mode.

And OP, you missed Arcanum - it was on sale at GOG for the weekend. It's still worth picking up - it's six bucks full priced. I started playing it yesterday and it's amazing. If you do get that, pick up the unofficial patch from here.

Matthew94:

Lol I would pay 5 not to have IW on my HDD. It's a broken game and not fun at all.

Okay, fair enough. Amazon is still cheaper than GOG if you just want a copy of Deus Ex though.

I kind of feel that I ought to direct the OP to ebay if their budget is so tight. Lots and lots of second-hand PC games on ebay super cheap!

DoPo:
And OP, you missed Arcanum - it was on sale at GOG for the weekend. It's still worth picking up - it's six bucks full priced. I started playing it yesterday and it's amazing. If you do get that, pick up the unofficial patch from here.

Already have it. And Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

I just recently discovered this browser game and think it's pretty funny. It's something different than usual games, I've never really ever played a game like this one but maybe you'll like it. Have you read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? If not, then maybe you won't enjoy it as much but it's for free so you can give it a try, if you're into this kind of game.
Also a word of warning. Be really careful what you pick up and what you don't pick up at the beginning. The game trolls really hard.

Escape Velocity Nova, and then mod it to Escape Velocity (Classic) and/or EV Override. It's a brilliant game series that not many people know of (mainly because the original and Override are Mac exclusive, outside of modding Nova, I actually played the original back in the '90s on an old school Mac).

The graphics are actually surprisingly not terrible considering the age of the games, as well (mainly due to being 2D).

Ten bucks can buy quality, friend! PSN offers literally hundreds of Ps1 games for 6$ a piece. (It's pretty much all I use my Ps3 for) On Steam, I know that Terraria (Pretty much a 2d version of Minecraft, great game) Is selling for ten dollars. And, if you really want to ride the bargain train, Katawa Shoujo is downloadable for free. (If you like both VN's and people assuming that you have a weird fetish, that is) If not, there's always NewGrounds. God only knows how many days I've had to bum away widdling with flash games. Poverty blows.

The fallout collection is 4.94 on amazon not sure how much that is in dollars. That's 3 games for like half your budget.
EDIT: Just checked amazon US it cost $7.99

From what you're saying, it sounds like any of the DeathSpank games would be right up your alley. Since you only have $10.00, I'd recommend that you pick up the second one, Thongs of Virtue, since it probably has more content than the first game (and since the third game currently costs $15.00). You should get at least 8-12 hours of gameplay out of that one.

Matthew94:

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

Seriously? I got it for 1.50 on Steam. :P Also I'll join the other people mentioning Katawa and I hear League of Legends is fun if you're into that sort of thing.

werty10089:
Katawa Shoujo

This.
It's free, and really awesome.

Matthew94:

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

Arcanum is currently $2.99 on GOG. I think I win.

GiantRaven:

Matthew94:

Deus Ex is $9.99 on GOG.

I haven't heard of it before but then I saw:

A unique steampunk world designed by the creators of Fallout: Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson
A complex stat-driven system that underlies every event taking place within Arcanum
An entirely non-linear storyline with surprising plot twists

It sounds pretty good, I should buy it some day.

GiantRaven:

Arcanum is always a win.

OT: If you have not played it check out Planescape: Torment too.

DrVornoff:
I picked up Cthulhu Saves the World over the holidays and loved it. And I do enjoy Deus Ex, even if the beginning was a bit of a bitch to get through. I tried the Witcher, but lost interest about an hour in, mostly because the interface was counterintuitive and Geralt was an unlikable prick. Might give it another shot though since I still have it on Steam.

gaaaahhh....geraldt...

part of what put me off, at least in "lesser" RPG's I cant actually play as somone I find remotly interesting/sympathetic

perhaps Im being too harsh based on the time i actually played..but still, everyone says witcher 2 was really good but I couldnt play it without playing 1...just not how i do things

Tee Eff Two.

Free, hours of fun, mods galore, as competitive or non competitive as you want it to be.

Also second the Deus Ex pack. The first is one of the best PC games of all time, and while the second is nowhere near as good, is worth a playthrough. As others have mentioned though, get some mods for the original, will be quite a culture shock otherwise.

Trine is $1.40 on Steam at the moment, and Trine 2 is $5.99. Also, Gotham City Imposters is $5.99, it certainly isn't TF2, but it's alright. However, if you're looking for something more along the lines of an isometric Hack 'N Slash/RPG then Avadon: The Black Fortress is $9.99 on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41300/

Altitude is $10 on steam. It's a fun little 2d, multiplayer dog-fighting game. It has an unlimited demo so you can try it before you purchase it.

Dungeons of Dredmor!
It's only $5, it's a randomized, turn-based (for your strategy fix, especially at higher difficulties) RPG dungeon crawler (adventure?) with an arcade style scoring and death mechanic and it has a wicked sense of humor. Combining it with the expansion pack should keep it under $10 and I don't think you know how much I love this game.

Go forth and do what is right

Dustforce. A fun, flowy zen-like action precision-platformer. Fucking great aesthetics and animations, AMAZING music and fantastic level design.

GO GET IT NOW.

romanator0:
dog-fighting game

... I approach with much trepidation.

Psychonauts. It's $10 on steam, and even Yatzhee liked it. Get the damn game.

DrVornoff:

romanator0:
dog-fighting game

... I approach with much trepidation.

Are you thinking complicated aerial plane battles or vicious animals biting at each other? I'm not sure how to take your tone.

I would just monitor the steam daily deals. I got Boderlands GOTY for like $7 a while back and I've logged probably close to $50 hours into it and I've just done the main story and some of the DLC stuff. Probably another $10-$20 hours before I finish everything.

NEO Scavenger - Heavily inspired in games like Fallout 2, amazing game in it's beta stage. EVERYONE should try it, NAO. The single dev is also a pro and dedicated as heck.

Desktop Dungeons - Rogue game with excellent design.

Unreal world - Sadly not related with unreal tournament. A survival game, a REALLY COMPLEX survival game :P

All have a free demo and are great quality indie games. I can bet my ass you will like at least one and maybe love.

If you are into PvP, then HoN, LoL and DotA 2 are free, easy and fun. Or if you were a bit more specific i could reccomend more.

Edit: Well, back to my futile attempts to get good at SC II.

Second edit: If you like Desktop Dungeons, buying it is a must, the experience is greatly improved in every way possible.

I vote for Nitronic Rush or Desktop dungeons. If you like DD there is a new version you can buy, but try the free one.

How about lone survivor? A 2D indie survival horror game that according to some does silent hill better than silent hill has in years in terms of atmosphere and tone, plus the basic package is 10 bucks and there is a demo over on kongregate if you want to try before you buy.

also a link to the games homepage: http://superflatgames.com/wordpress/?tag=lone-survivor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked