Mas Effect 3 was an unfinished game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Shanicus:
Or get them to instead of changing the ending, send out pictures of the staff giving out middle fingers.

Add in 'while swimming in a pool of money and getting blowjobs from supermodels and you have my worst case scenario of what this updated ending DLC will be.

Kahunaburger:
Yeah, this is the one thing that confuses me about all this. I mean, I get the anger at Bioware's bad writing, but why is the line in the sand drawn at the disconnect between the ME3 ending and the rest of the series?

To be fair this has kinda been building for a while, what with various issues with EA/Bioware over things in ME2 and Dragon Age 2 (the latter in particular), plus the usual 'EA Bullshit' (Online passes, compulsory multiplayer element, Day 1 DLC etc). All little things individually, but when they add up you get the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Although, given the hype behind it, its hard to imagine a situation where they made an ME3 ending that absolutely everyone liked, but to fuck up so badly that well over half, possibly even over 3/4 of their fanbase hate it...

There's also the whole way this ending furore has been handled, with the general air of condescenscion EA/BioWare have thrown at anyone who dares suggest that their work is anything less than artistic perfection and that we're all spoilt entitled brats who need to shut up and keep on forking over money for overpriced DLC so they can continue to make 'art', but that's a whole 'nother topic that's already been gone over many time.

There's not really any of it in this thread but what irritates me about this entire ME3 ending sucks movement is the complete lack of consideration for the majority of the development team. Can you imagine pouring your heart and soul in to something for 2 years only to have a massive amount of people turn round and tell you that your company (Bioware, not EA, those people understand they work for the devil) made the worst ending ever (A ridiculous statement in itself, there are plenty worse endings from many other games, a more accurate statement would be a very bad ending for a AAA game) and your game sucks because of it. I doubt the majority of the development team even had a hand in the ending but the entire company gets beaten with the same hate stick. In no way am I advocating keeping quiet about things you don't like but some more tact and consideration for the human beings involved would be a wonderful thing, rather than getting angry and feeling entitled to what you want so you think throwing a hissy fit is the right thing to do.

I personally disliked the lack of impacts your choice made rather than the ending itself, I always quite enjoy thinking about the repercussions of a situation that hasn't been spoon fed to me. But then I also understand that not everyone wants to sit around analysing stuff and that's fine. I also enjoyed the other 99% of the game with only small complaints about certain aspects but then nothing's perfect.

Just to reiterate there isn't really any of the first paragraph going on here, just speaking about the movement as a whole.

Teh Jammah:

Kahunaburger:
Yeah, this is the one thing that confuses me about all this. I mean, I get the anger at Bioware's bad writing, but why is the line in the sand drawn at the disconnect between the ME3 ending and the rest of the series?

To be fair this has kinda been building for a while, what with various issues with EA/Bioware over things in ME2 and Dragon Age 2 (the latter in particular), plus the usual 'EA Bullshit' (Online passes, compulsory multiplayer element, Day 1 DLC etc). All little things individually, but when they add up you get the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Although, given the hype behind it, its hard to imagine a situation where they made an ME3 ending that absolutely everyone liked, but to fuck up so badly that well over half, possibly even over 3/4 of their fanbase hate it...

There's also the whole way this ending furore has been handled, with the general air of condescenscion EA/BioWare have thrown at anyone who dares suggest that their work is anything less than artistic perfection and that we're all spoilt entitled brats who need to shut up and keep on forking over money for overpriced DLC so they can continue to make 'art', but that's a whole 'nother topic that's already been gone over many time.

That's my take on this, too. I don't think we would have seen anywhere near the uproar about the ending if it were an isolated incident (Bioware is what, 3 for 3 with glaring writing issues in its recent games? 4 for 4 if you count Mass Effect 2?), or if EA/Bioware had been a little more professional with their response to criticism.

EDIT:

saverian:
I doubt the majority of the development team even had a hand in the ending

Apparently, that was part of the problem.

Kahunaburger:

EDIT:

saverian:

But that's not how things work on projects with a very large amount of people involved. With small development teams everyone can have a hand in forming the game as a whole, but with teams of 100+ (can't find exact numbers) everyone has a very distinct role. Concept artists/modellers/programmers/animators/etc. don't have a hand in story development but the movement bashes and insults Bioware as a whole, completely ignoring the fact that the people in the roles I listed had nothing to do with the ending.

You know the saddest thing? It's unfinished because they decided to add multiplayer and Kinect features. They forgot what made their games great in the past and they released this rushed piece of shit. It's not just the ending, it's everything. Streamlined dialogue, stupid AI, railroading us to the Rachni queen regardless of what happened to her in ME1, the fact that saving or destroying the Collector base doesn't matter AT ALL, holes and visual mistakes on the Normandy, noticeably lower quality graphics and lighting and awkward and cut animations and features (like holster function), and the rushed ending.

And now, instead of focusing on fixing all of those issues with a patch they focus their attention on multiplayer! Like all of a sudden Bioware became Infinity Ward. Fuck Bioware and fuck EA. I think I will just pretend that ME3 never happened. Because this piece of shit is not what Mass Effect 3 was supposed to be. 75 perfect scores my ass. If they used the money from those bribes to actually finish the game they wouldn't need to bribe the reviewers.

Adam Jensen:
You know the saddest thing? It's unfinished because they decided to add multiplayer and Kinect features. They forgot what made their games great in the past and they released this rushed piece of shit.

Those features had nothing at all to do with the ending.

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:
You know the saddest thing? It's unfinished because they decided to add multiplayer and Kinect features. They forgot what made their games great in the past and they released this rushed piece of shit.

Those features had nothing at all to do with the ending.

You can believe that if you like.

Adam Jensen:

Because them not adding multiplayer would have prevented a last minute breakdown of Casey Hudson's sanity causing him to re-write the ending?

Seriously, think about it for a second.

What you said, was stupid.

saverian:

Kahunaburger:

EDIT:

saverian:

But that's not how things work on projects with a very large amount of people involved. With small development teams everyone can have a hand in forming the game as a whole, but with teams of 100+ (can't find exact numbers) everyone has a very distinct role. Concept artists/modellers/programmers/animators/etc. don't have a hand in story development but the movement bashes and insults Bioware as a whole, completely ignoring the fact that the people in the roles I listed had nothing to do with the ending.

My comment was actually a reference to how apparently not all of the core writing staff had input on the ending.

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

Because them not adding multiplayer would have prevented a last minute breakdown of Casey Hudson's sanity causing him to re-write the ending?

The ending is so obviously something that's been put together at the last minute. It has nothing to do with artistic expression and artistic integrity. I really don't know how on Earth can people still believe that. They're trying to defend themselves because saying how it was their plan is a lot better than saying how they rushed the game and took our money for an unfinished product. Don't be so naive.

WoahDan:
If you don't like talking about Mass Effect you know what's even easier than complaining? not going into the thread at all. Seriously why are all these people who didn't even play the game getting involved? It doesn't affect you, why do you even care?

So your addition to a thread complaining about the ending to Mass Effect 3, is to complain that people are complaining in a thread complaining about ME3.... I think that makes sense.

Oh the Irony... That I also helped to perpetuate.

Adam Jensen:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

The ending is so obviously something that's been put together at the last minute. It has nothing to do with artistic expression and artistic integrity. I really don't know how on Earth can people still believe that. They're trying to defend themselves because saying how it was their plan is a lot better than saying how they rushed the game and took our money for an unfinished product. Don't be so naive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please genuinely do, but wasn't the ending leaked a couple of months before release & Bioware had to rewrite it?

Adam Jensen:

I never said it had anything to do with artistic anything.

WTF are you talking about?

I mean that in all seriousness, where in fucks name did you get "artistic anything" out of my post.

I said Casey went crazy and redid the ending, it doesn't have to do with artistic anything, I never said it did, or implied it.

Him redoing the ending had nothing to do with multiplayer or Kinect at all, it had to do with the script leak.

Like seriously, I think I just saw dumb on a whole new level today because of your post.

The ending sucked and can be argued on other levels that the game was rushed overall. I waited to buy this game until the word was out on whether it was good or not. I found out about the day one DLC and decided not to purchase the game.

I can't help but feel as if the more people waited to buy the game then the sting of this ending business would have been a lot less severe. All I can say is learn from your mistakes. Never put faith in a development studio. It's like assuming a movie will be good based on the actors. You are not wrong for being angry, but the lesson learned here should be to show a bit of restraint in the future.

Even excellent studios staffed by great people can fail at the task they set out to accomplish.

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

I mean that in all seriousness, where in fucks name did you get "artistic anything" out of my post.

I said Casey went crazy and redid the ending, it doesn't have to do with artistic anything, I never said it did, or implied it.

Him redoing the ending had nothing to do with multiplayer or Kinect at all, it had to do with the script leak.

Like seriously, I think I just saw dumb on a whole new level today because of your post.

I have a question, what was the leaked ending supposed to be? It would e funny if that ending was better :p

Darkmantle:
I have a question, what was the leaked ending supposed to be? It would e funny if that ending was better :p

Basically there was a dangerous build-up of dark energy in the galaxy, that threatened to blow up all the suns, that The Reapers were trying to stop and they were harvesting organic races to add to their collective so that they could use all these various races systems of thought to come up with a solution because so far they had been unable to do so themselves.

As much as I've tried to ignore a lot of these 'Mass Effect 3's ending sucked/BioWare/EA suck/We deserve better' threads, isn't it time to let go?

The problem isn't even about the ending any more. Its about the marketing, and the fan rage, and everything surrounding the game itself. The actual game (and its ending) have become inconsequential, and that I think is the problem. The situation has evolved beyond its source and now there is no going back from that.

Personally, the worst thing about the ending for me was this whole situation that has evolved from it. Sure, it'd be nice to get a little more closure for the characters, but since we've been following Shepard for the whole time, not finding out what happens to everyone else once s/he has been taken out of play is something I can accept.

Was the rest of the game not satisfying? Was it not fun? I personally loved it. I ignored as best I could all the ire that was being strewn around the internet at the time (there were other fan rages I could focus on, such as the company I used to work for not getting the game in stock) and there were so many moments in the game that got me really involved, such as...

or

or

to

and so many more besides. Endings are very rarely perfect, I accept that from all forms of entertainment media. I get that while I can accept that myself, a great deal of people don't feel the same way, and I kinda feel bad for those people, because I enjoyed a fantastic entertainment experience, and a great many other people haven't been able to. But a lot of these people I think have taken things way too far. I'd like to be able to empathise with everyone who did feel let down, and I do with the more rational ones, but to the irrational ones, I cant, because there are people in the world in far worse situations than us affluent westerners, and people rabidly raving (STILL) about the Mass Effect 3 ending is kinda making us all look like dicks.

SajuukKhar:

Darkmantle:

Basically there was a dangerous build-up of dark energy in the galaxy, that threatened to blow up all the suns, that The Reapers were trying to stop and they were harvesting organic races to add to their collective so that they could use all these various races systems of thought to come up with a solution because so far they had been unable to do so themselves.

You know, that... sounds kind of silly, to be perfectly honest. I mean... doesn't everything to do with Mass Effect fields use/generate Dark energy? Hell, the Alpha Relay uses massive stores of Dark Energy to extend it's effective range into Dark Space, so... the whole 'Were harvesting you 'cause we don't know how to stop Dark Energy build up, despite the fact that it's almost entirely our fault (and could have easily been fixed many cycles ago by not using Mass Effect fields)' seems a bit... weak.

The whole 'Organic vs. Synthetic' line of thinking is actually better (IMO), it's just it was fairly poorly executed in the current end.

Darkmantle:

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/39736/revealed-the-mass-effect-3-ending-bioware-canned-before-release/

I don't know how I feel about the "original" ending concept. I guess it could have been awesome or terrible, depending on how it was accomplished. I still don't like the idea of the Reapers having an ultimately knowable and, all things being equal, altrustic purpose.

Oh well. :)

Shanicus:

You know, that... sounds kind of silly, to be perfectly honest. I mean... doesn't everything to do with Mass Effect fields use/generate Dark energy? Hell, the Alpha Relay uses massive stores of Dark Energy to extend it's effective range into Dark Space, so... the whole 'Were harvesting you 'cause we don't know how to stop Dark Energy build up, despite the fact that it's almost entirely our fault (and could have easily been fixed many cycles ago by not using Mass Effect fields)' seems a bit... weak.

The whole 'Organic vs. Synthetic' line of thinking is actually better (IMO), it's just it was fairly poorly executed in the current end.

That was the cause of the problem.

EVERYTHING used Dark Energy and that use caused the build up, the Mass Relays themselves were part of the problem. but the Reapers also needed them to be able to move around faster to find races to absorb.

*Sigh. With so many people going "change the ending", apparently they're forgetting that there already is one, whatever you think of it.

I don't get how publishers manage to churn out sequels every year or two years, and still maintain the "you're supporting the developer" illusion. It's obvious that 90% of your money is funneled into marketing or idiotic side-projects like SW:TOR.

There used to be a time when you could notice significant technological improvement between two consecutive games of a popular series, or at least better production quality. Yet despite the industry's huge growth this last decade, that is no longer the case, and no one seems to mind.

Mass Effect fans have no one to blame but themselves, for buying from EA in the first place.

Phlakes:
*Sigh. With so many people going "change the ending", apparently they're forgetting that there already is one, whatever you think of it.

I'm pretty sure they don't forget that. Something needs to be there to be changed. And presumably it's not fit for the purpose if it needs changing. So they both recognise there is an ending and they think stuff of it.

Phlakes:

This isn't a "change the ending" thread. This isn't even really a ME3 thread. This is about games being rushed/unfinished, publishers (EA) being dicks, and where the focus of development is.

Bhaalspawn:

The game was rushed. Aw muffin. Games and film are like this occasionally. Remember KOTOR 2?

Who uses that guy for a meme, really? he is practically his own meme, horrid actor.

OT yeah pretty much, I mean the sidequests were pretty much jokes, go from one level of the citadel to another, hit consoles...

SajuukKhar:

Shanicus:

That was the cause of the problem.

EVERYTHING used Dark Energy and that use caused the build up, the Mass Relays themselves were part of the problem. but the Reapers also needed them to be able to move around faster to find races to absorb.

But that still doesn't explain why they've had millions of years of cycles, especially since they must have known this was a problem to start the cycle of harvest. Setting up the Mass Relays, harvesting a cycle, retreating, letting a new group of sapients grow into using the Mass Relays, harvesting this new cycle, etc. all to stop the dark energy build up caused by use of the Mass Relays...

It sounds like a vegetarian trying to stop you eating meat by buying you a Burger, just sayin'. Surely they could have just gone when they noticed the problem of Dark Energy 'Oh shit, the Mass Relays are fucking us up. We should get rid of them/stop using them.'

Shanicus:

But that still doesn't explain why they've had millions of years of cycles, especially since they must have known this was a problem to start the cycle of harvest. Setting up the Mass Relays, harvesting a cycle, retreating, letting a new group of sapients grow into using the Mass Relays, harvesting this new cycle, etc. all to stop the dark energy build up caused by use of the Mass Relays...

It sounds like a vegetarian trying to stop you eating meat by buying you a Burger, just sayin'. Surely they could have just gone when they noticed the problem of Dark Energy 'Oh shit, the Mass Relays are fucking us up. We should get rid of them/stop using them.'

If the reapers had just destroyed the Mass Relays they wouldn't have been able to harvest organics, no harvesting organics means Reapers die off, Reapers die off means the only people who know about the problem are dead. Dead reapers means sometime in the future a race build a mass relay network of its own, causes the same problems BUT they may not know about the problem meaning universe is fucked.

Also the reapers probably didn't find out about the problem for some time. they could have built the relay system, been using for awhile, found out its screwing them over, make THEN make the plan.

I wouldnt be suprised if one day a reaper was like
reaper 1 "hey why are all these suns exploding"
reaper 2 "uhh I dont know there's some dark energy readings coming off of it"
reaper 1 "wait doesn't our system of gian space slingshots use dark energy"
Reaper 2 " ohh FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, we got to stop this"

RedBird:

At least there aren't any arrow in the knee jokes yet....
Ooop, wait:
I used to be interested in people opinions, but then I took a "mass effect 3 was unfinished" thread to the escapist. AGAIN.

Too late.

I used to be a Shepard just like you, but then I took a crappy ending to the knee. (or would it be better with EA to the knee?)

On the brighter side is that I am caring less about the ending, the bad side is I still want my DAMN happy ending!

They had three awesome games to make the conclusion out of this world...wait, dimension, but they made the conclusion sink deeper then a black hole.

I blame EA and possibly a 1% of Bioware for this ending.
I guess the only thing I can do is hope and pray for a better ending.

StormShaun:

I guess the only thing I can do is hope and pray for a better ending.

Too late. The recent press release stated that they aren't going to add any endings or change any endings, only clarify the ending.

But it wouldn't be the first time they go against the press release.

I bought the game last week and I am on the final push now. I should have completed the game tonight. I know the ending is suppose to be horrible, but the rest of the game has been fantastic. There can always be little things that could improve things, but overall so far I wouldn't call the game unfinished. I think I would have prefered being able to use characters from the previous games rather than some of the new characters they introduced, but so far that is my only real complaint of the game. It sounds like the ending has really tarnished the rest of the game for a lot of people. Maybe I should stop now so I still think of it as a good game.

boag:

SajuukKhar:
Really do we need this thread again?

]

Yes everyday in fact.

+1

SajuukKhar:

Darkmantle:

Just to add to this, the big moral decision at the end would be either to force human beings to become reapers and thus instantly solve the problem due to humanities genetic diversity (I'm not sure I really get that but whatever) or to hope that all the races working together could solve the dark energy problem. Which was much more in keeping with the themes of the game.

I think generally very few games are very completely finished, there is always some other touches the creators want to make. However with ME 3 they very much seemed to misplaced in importance what needs to be finished, double-checked and then triple-checked and what doesn't. The ending needs, to have a lot of focus on, especially IMHO a narrative based game.

This topic has an unfinished title.

SajuukKhar:

Adam Jensen:

His argument is sound as speculation.
If it's a matter of time constraints, then with the same budget and same staff (work-hours), they would have to choose which feature to emphasize.

Since multiplayer is a new, major advertised feature, it's possible their efforts were diverted from what they had done previously, so they would have to half-ass SOMETHING to meet the deadline.

Given that the graphics and content up to the ending were basically the same quality fare as the previous two games, it's not unfair to guess that the ending was what got the shaft; regardless of what the writer originally intended.
This assumes that the original intended ending required more effort and explanation than they had time for, which is kind of what the topic is going into.
Alternatively, the ending could have just been badly written to begin with, but we don't know for sure either.

Every one of us is speculating here (unless you have some inside information you'd like to share).

It wasn't "unfinished" it just sucked.

We just have to get over Bioware, they're just part of EA now.
THEY'RE DEAD!
LET THEM REST!

Just because you dont like a game does not mean that it was unfinished. It just means that you didnt like it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked