Dark Souls - PC Port confirmed!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The german magazine, PC Action, is previewing Dark Souls for (you can guess) PC! The spoiled release date is August, the developer also adds some new bosses.

So... How does it make you feel? A petition, sparked through a comment by a community manager from Namco Bandai, got a publisher to consider the port AND also make it. I don't know what to say, I just feel good about this. Finally a "must buy" title on my list for this year and be it just to make the point that the PC crowd will reward publisher who reconsider the limitation of franchises to consoles!

If I had some money in my wallet I'd go to a store and buy this magazine.

Source: RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/07/petition-attrition-dark-souls-confirmed-for-pc/

Cover of the magazine. It just states that the port is coming.

Edit: The magazine hit the shelfs today and I'm holding it in my hand right now. As much as you can give on my word: I can confirm both the port as also the estimated date of August 2012.

Edit 2:

With thanks to SmashLovesTitanQuest

Not this game is officially confirmed.

YUM YUM YUM! You have just made my day. I've been eagerly awaiting news on this ever since the first rumours came out.

It's my hope that things like this will tell publishers that yes, there is still a market for PC games and yes, it's still worth catering for it.

This is good news. I am looking forward to it and I hope it sells well.

Hopefully it's not TOO challenging though, TW2 level would be nice.

It was pretty much confirmed a while back when PC Gamer magazine had that "YOU DIED" picture from Dark Souls. I hope it's a nightmare. I need a challenging game to keep me occupied for longer.

I hope it sells well. After that petition it better sell. If not, it can reflect badly on all PC titles in the future. It needs to sell at least as many copies as there were signatures in that petition. Otherwise we're all screwed. And now I'm actually worried.

I'm probably going to have to pass, I get too angry at dying and from what I hear, there is massive amounts of dying, and I'd probably rage quite a lot from the game. So no matter how good people say it is, or how satisfying beating a super boss thingie is. I think I'm going to have to pass.

Most pirated game in history. Calling it now.

Somonah:
Most pirated game in history. Calling it now.

Why would this be "targeted" more than other things?

DazZ.:

Do you really expect a good answer? He is just "edgy" by calling PC gamers pirates (what he basically implied here). I'd rather let him live in his illusion of the pirate-free consoles.

Good job, PC crybabies. You've officially wasted From Software's time on a game they've already made and on a game that PC gamers will find too consolized and dumbed down to enjoy anyway.

I mean, it's not like they have King's Field V they should be working on. No no...

TheKasp:

DazZ.:

Do you really expect a good answer? He is just "edgy" by calling PC gamers pirates (what he basically implied here). I'd rather let him live in his illusion of the pirate-free consoles.

yes i am the edgy. even though i game soley on PC, only own 1 console for 1 game and you clearly know everything about me.

Anyways, i stand by my statement. It will be pirated like crazy. it'll just be a bad console port in so many people's opinions and no one will want to pay for it. it'll be pirated. even if it's a great port, people will say it's just a port and download it.

AnythingOutstanding:
Good job, PC crybabies. You've officially wasted From Software's time on a game they've already made and on a game that PC gamers will find too consolized and dumbed down to enjoy anyway.

I mean, it's not like they have King's Field V they should be working on. No no...

I'm sorry that I want the stupid platform exclusives to end... I apologise for all the PC elitist that you and your console elitist friends have to see that something goes to waste.

I am also sorry that you live under the illusion that ID Software is just there to serve you and you alone.

AnythingOutstanding:

Dumbed down... from what?

Somonah:
yes i am the edgy. even though i game soley on PC, only own 1 console for 1 game and you clearly know everything about me.

Anyways, i stand by my statement. It will be pirated like crazy. it'll just be a bad console port in so many people's opinions and no one will want to pay for it. it'll be pirated. even if it's a great port, people will say it's just a port and download it.

Yeah, because that is how it works on the PC. It is ALWAYS irrelevant how good the port is, because it's a port people will react negative towards it /facepalm *hint at several games that sold like crazy on the PC despite being a port... mainly because they were GOOD ports*.

AnythingOutstanding:

Sorry, who's crying?

Bought it for PS3. Going to buy it again for PC regardless, but I'll be extra happy if they can: 1) get it running at 60+ FPS in true 1080p (assuming you've got the hardware), and 2) tweaked the multiplayer experience a little bit. The only two knocks I've got on the console version are the horrendous framerate and grief-centric MP, and fixing those two issues will pretty much result in my favorite game of the year.

This is really good news. DS was one of the few times I wish I had a console; it looks so very compelling. Hopefully it turns out to be a great port!

TheKasp:

Yeah, because that is how it works on the PC. It is ALWAYS irrelevant how good the port is, because it's a port people will react negative towards it /facepalm *hint at several games that sold like crazy on the PC despite being a port... mainly because they were GOOD ports*.

According to a quick google search, most pirated game of 2011 was Crysis 2. Good game IMO. But it was a console port.

AnythingOutstanding:

A good game for a platform that will like it isn't a waste of time :)

Kahunaburger:

AnythingOutstanding:

They'll hate it because it is too consolized for them.

There's no chance it will live up to the PC game standard of games like Deus Ex, Europa Universalis or Dwarf Fortress without remaking the game from the ground up.

Somonah:
snip

Alan Wake, PC port - got it's port costs and marketing expenses in under 48h through DD alone.
Bastion - port sold better on PC than on console.
Super Meat Boy - port sold better on PC than on console.
How about Skyrim? PC port and still in the top10 sale charts on Steam.

The thing is: Crysis 2 is not a good port.

AnythingOutstanding:

Kahunaburger:

AnythingOutstanding:

There's no chance it will live up to the PC game standard of games like Deus Ex, Europa Universalis or Dwarf Fortress without remaking the game from the ground up.

While those are all undoubtedly very image games, Dark Souls isn't directly competing with any of those. The "Japanese ARPG with minimal story elements, great atmosphere, unforgiving combat, and a combination of twitch and strategic gameplay elements" genre is pretty sparse on the PC. If there are a bunch of games like Dark Souls for the PC I've somehow overlooked, please to not hesitate to point me in their direction because I want to play them.

Cover of the magazine. It just states that the port is coming.

AnythingOutstanding:

You say that while Witcher 2, a game with extremely similar yet inferior combat system is quite frankly loved on PC and the Arena Mode was later made for those who loved the combat and wanted to play more without having to go through the story portions.

They'll love it, it'll make GOTY lists, people will ask for more.

When people say "consolized" and "dumbed down", they mean something was changed and simplified in the very core mechanics before a single version is released to please a wider audience, obviously. The port isn't going to change Dark Souls' console version's design philosophy, most probably isn't going to change the design of any future projects and the port is going to fill a very specific niche in PC gaming

Furthermore, you have no proof of this biting into further development time as changing code from one very different platform to another isn't going to take the same expertise and individuals as designing a game from ground-up

tldr: Your logic is horrendous, your examples irrelevant and you don't know what you're talking about. Good day sir! *doorslam*

AnythingOutstanding:

Kahunaburger:

AnythingOutstanding:

consolized? Where do you get your insane logic from? That term comes from a game that has their mechanics simplified to sell more copies. A good example would be Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls series, and shooters in general. What are they going to simplify on a Dark Souls port? The game is done, as long as it uses peoples hardware properly, people going to buy the shit out of it. Even if the graphics aren't improved, you underestimate the power of 1080(or higher) and a steady frame-rate.

endtherapture:
This is good news. I am looking forward to it and I hope it sells well.

Hopefully it's not TOO challenging though, TW2 level would be nice.

Oh your in for a treat bud.

It's incredibly challenging, makes TW2 look like Hello Kitty. You will die, you will die lots.

AnythingOutstanding:

All console games are inherently made for the drooling retards who play console games.

PC games are made with the superior intellect and skill of its audience in mind. Unless they completely redesign the game from the ground up, Dark Souls will simply bore the audience.

You uh...you're flamebaiting, right? I've been a PC gamer for the last 16 years, but I still fucking love my Playstation 3 and the other consoles I've owned.

I'm (mostly) a console gamer here. To all you PC gamers:

Hopefully this sells well (I'll be buying a copy eventually, if not right away) and shows other developers that the PC isn't a waste of time. It would be nice if they made the controls more like a first person shooter (character looks where camera points), at least when playing with a keyboard and mouse, but that might change how the game plays a bit too much, so I doubt it'll happen.

I wonder how they will make the PC port as good as the original version. Properly designing combat for a keyboard and mouse will be very challenging. I recommend just plugging in a PS3 controller.

Eh, too late.

I got the PS3 version and it was decidedly "meh".

Boring and repetitive combat, stupid checkpoint placement, respawning enemies and it looks like shit. Grey sludge layered on grey sludge. Although there was that one time I saw some green sludge. Made my day.

I'm just glad I got a used copy. If it had been full price I would have been pissed.

1st page and we already have "hilarious" elitist comments from fellow PC gamers. Stay classy guys.

Oh well, I don't care. I already put 120 hours into the PS3 version, don't mind putting hundred or so hours into the, hopefully, superior PC version. Also Blightown at 60 FPS! Hallelujah!

Packie_J:
1st page and we already have "hilarious" elitist comments from fellow PC gamers. Stay classy guys.

Oh well, I don't care. I already put 120 hours into the PS3 version, don't mind putting hundred or so hours into the, hopefully, superior PC version. Also Blightown at 60 FPS! Hallelujah!

Meh, ignore those flamebaiting "elitists".

Well, for one the PC version won't look "better" (on the other hand, I call 1080p, 60 fps and naturally sharper textures better) and they add bosses. If they put most of the time into good performance and develop a decent control scheme I don't think they can be that far off.

AnythingOutstanding:

Oh my. Thank you for these tears, console man. They are delicious. We will savor each of these tears with glee and satisfaction.

Signed,
The PC Gaming Master Race

Ivory Thrones of Gamerland,
High above consoleplebia
PO Box 1337

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I wonder how they will make the PC port as good as the original version. Properly designing combat for a keyboard and mouse will be very challenging. I recommend just plugging in a PS3 controller.

joking aside, i've played both demon/dark souls, and i don't see why keyboard mouse would be a problem?

OT: Can't wait, I signed that petition and you bet your sweet ass my 60 bucks is gonna be thrown down for it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked