15.7% (41)
15.7% (41)
No. Ew.
18.4% (48)
18.4% (48)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Where all the (D&D) paladins at?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I've been DM'ing (and very rarely playing) D&D for about 6-7 years now, and in all that time, I have never seen someone roll up a Paladin. Ever. Not even consider it. Even among groups that all dedicate themselves to being good-aligned (which, to be honest, seems kinda rare) no one ever wants to play the Paladin.

Is this just my players? What sort of mythical sasquatch-like beast even plays this class?

I fall into that once or twice group. I think a lot of people are discouraged by the difficulty the role playing will entail. You have to make sure you stick by the rigid guidelines or you could lose your powers and end up just a fighter.

Also I believe most people want to be Han Solo more or less. They want to play fast and loose with the rules but still be the good guy that gets the girl. Han Solo is no paladin.

derintrel:
Also I believe most people want to be Han Solo more or less. They want to play fast and loose with the rules but still be the good guy that gets the girl. Han Solo is no paladin.

Yeah, I definitely see that mentality a lot. I think a lot of it might also have to do with decreasing their ability to fuck around. A lot of newer players get kinda drunk off the freedom I tend to allow in my games. I've had many a sudden alignment shift to some variation of evil or chaotic after a player eventually realized they could just murder, steal or urinate on anything in sight.

Playing a class that is defined by having a stick up your arse... Doesn't sound that enticing.

HAHA Wayneguard of Altheron is my Paladin name :D

Paladins either completely suck the fun out of any kind of roleplaying, or they are scared that the DM will forced them into a lose/lose situation where they lose their powers just for teh lolz.

Who says paladins always have to be good? Those dark lords need their champions too, you know! :P

On one of the rare times I've played, I rolled a paladin. I think people might have trouble reconciling the traditional paladin mindset with the traditional RPG mindset. God vs. Pillage/Loot/Plunder, basically.

I was a Paladin but my paladin's personal "quest" my DM gave me was to try and figure out what I was. I was knocked out during a raid on some pilgrims, having amensia and wearing only scraps of what my holy armour and weapons used to be when my compainions found me. So I was off the moral compass and trying to do the right thing but the i couldn't remeber who/what I was.

I was also the pack mule.

Tayh:
Playing a class that is defined by having a stick up your arse... Doesn't sound that enticing.

Try playing one with the mindset of Don Quixote. Far more entertaining.

(no, he isn't Chaotic Neutral or any other alignment just because he's crazy. From HIS perspective, he's a force of pure good meant to uphold the laws of the land and bring glory to La Mancha)

(warhammer references incoming)

Kharn the Betrayer is essentially a paladin of Khorne, so paladins can be cool if you pick the right god.

Just don't be like my friend and pick Pelor, the god of sunshine and happiness.

It was a pretty bad experience.....

Tayh:

Well, they might be a stickler for rules, but its the rules of said god they worship. Its basically a champion devoted to the teachings of their chosen god. The coolness of the paladin depends on the coolness of the god. We're so used to seeing paladins portrayed worshipping Christianity, that we tend to lump all paladins into that group.

I tend to play Chaotic Neutral types: in it for the exp, loot and the thrill of rolling dem bones. Paladins seem dull to me. About the closest we had in our group was a Lawful Neutral stick in the mud, played like an arse kicking tax auditer.

Atmos Duality:

I think that might just be my character whenever I next get to play. Either that or the Lawful Good Rogue I've been wanting to make for a while.

In one setting I played what was basically an 8 year old boys vision of what a Paladin should be. It was one of the most fun roleplaying experience I ever had.

Poerts:

Atmos Duality:

I think that might just be my character whenever I next get to play. Either that or the Lawful Good Rogue I've been wanting to make for a while.

Get a Lawful Good rogue to play the role of Sancho Panza, perhaps?

Atmos Duality:
Get a Lawful Good rogue to play the role of Sancho Panza, perhaps?

Ooh. Maybe. At any rate, a blundering crazy man who means well deep down would fit it in as the unwitting accomplice to the gang of bastards many players seem to end up creating

Antitonic:
Who says paladins always have to be good?

3.X D&D.
I have only played one once of twice, they aren't really my thing, but I have seen lots of people play them. I once saw someone play a paladin from the Scared Lands, for anyone not familiar with the setting in the Scared Lands there was a war between the gods and the Titans and their followers so the LG god hates what are called Titan spawn and wants to wipe them all out, so he was always way too happy to be slaughtering Titan spawn even defenseless women, outside of the game we called him the paladin of genocide.

I love paladins. If any game has the class, you can bet I'll roll it. :P

But as for pnp, I only ever did that once a little over 10 years ago, back when I had no rp'ing experience to speak of*, and was your basic chaotic neutral fighter... were the opportunity to present itself to play again, however, I'd be a paladin. You can betcherass. XD

*- And I still don't, technically. Most of that tiny campaign's content was battle, with only a scant few really straightforward rp'ing scenarios. :S

I finished my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2 with a cavalier, does that count?

Paladins are actually one of my favorite classes though I GM most of the time and see very few of them. There are a few issues with paladins mostly because not everyone wants to play a good person and paladins work best in groups made up of all good characters.

People can get turned off from the class from the misconcptions that other character actions determine whether you keep your powers or not. Likewise there are the horror stories of GMs deliberately abusing their power to make paladins fall without the players consent or even understanding.

There are other concerns like "hey I have to be hyper religious to play one" that turn others off and for some settings thats true. However in my games I allow everything from devoted to one god paladins to philosopher paladins.

Answered the poll before reading and assumed it wasn't restricted to DnD, so I was like, yea I have a couple of paladins on WOW!

The DM I usually play with does 2nd edition, the stat requirements for a paladin are extremely high in 2nd edition and are rarely rolled. The DM guide also discourages DMs from bending the rules in order to allow paladins because it makes them less 'special'.

so no.

Although, I did play a very zealous warrior-cleric who was somewhat paladin-like.

I have a paladin in a 4e game that's been going on for about 2 years now- meeting every saturday. The thing is, I push the boundries of alignment, so I don't really find it extremely restricting. I have done some really evil things in the name of Bahamut, some that even the shadier characters were hesitant on.

It's all in the way you play your class, if you do it right, you can really subvert them.

Paladins are a shitty, weak class, and they're jerks (who insist that you follow their alignment)!
Your players are doing everyone a favor by not playing a paladin :P

poiumty:
I finished my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2 with a cavalier, does that count?

Nope, because I also played my first BG2 playthrough as a cavalier, but in D&D I wouldn't touch paladins with a ten foot pole.

In games of all types I almost always choose the class that can be described as a Paladin. I like being able to both hit stuff hard and heal myself (and team)

I played PLD on Final Fantasy XI for twelve months because I enjoyed being the centre of attention and a staple of every party.

It caused a lot of annoyance because my survival was dependent on the other five (and later seventeen) knowing exactly what they were doing else I was the first to drop.

Where all the paladins at?

Typically on the end of my spear, or cleaved in half by my axe friggen useless naive zealots following some lofty code of ethics that serves no logical purpose. I take a special degree of joy in rending them asunder and leaving their bodies in my wake.

Even my hardcore Lawful Good of Goodness character was a fighter. (Cause if you know what your doing you can build them better then any paladin not to mention paladin's get a mount which is effectively useless.)

A paladin combines three things I don't want to play, a religious fanatic, a fighter and a healer. Arcane archery. Fuck yeah.

I have played Paladins, but rarely. Clerics are usually just as useful for the "holy warrior" archetype, and without the horrible penalties if the campaign dictates that a less-than-lawful/less-than-good action is required.

That said, I prefer to avoid the "typical" depiction of a class. And it's rather hard to do that with a Paladin. Not that it matters, because I usually get roped into DMing.

I am sometimes forced to be pally/cleric since somehow, despite all logical reasoning my friends refuse based on... they're Atheist... yeah, I kid you not. In a fantasy world where god/gods aren't a matter of faith but absolute, undeniable fact they refuse based on the fact in this world their faith is in no god so in a fantasy based setting they can't follow a god... I honestly wish I was making this idiocy up. :(

Paladins are boss and they always make for good party drama.

Dunno.

Round these parts there's always a paladin.
The two that come to mind are the one in my current Pathfinder game, and one in another game I know is going on.

The former is pretty much an example of why no-one likes paladins- self righteous and totally unlikable. And then his character is just the generic holier-than-thou paladin.

The latter is much more amusing- he rolled a paladin on the basis that they were immune to disease (including STDs, duh), then built a massive pervert around that- trying to play a massive man-whore while living up to the paladin oath has led to some quite amusing tales.

I also don't play paladins (And avoid D+D in general) because I can't stand the moral system, especially when you're restricted to certain alignments, which then restrict your actions (admittedly, this is aggravated by the poor GMing in our current game. He hasn't let me backstab or dick over a single other party member yet)

Personally, I can't stand playing a lawful character who isn't evil. Blackguard, yes. Chaotic good ranger, yes. Paladin... hell no.

That said, I have had one player in one of the campaigns I ran play a paladin who didn't come off as lawful stupid... just misguided and stubborn. Also world-weary and borderline suicidal. It was an interesting game, to say the least.

Poerts:
I've been DM'ing (and very rarely playing) D&D for about 6-7 years now, and in all that time, I have never seen someone roll up a Paladin. Ever. Not even consider it. Even among groups that all dedicate themselves to being good-aligned (which, to be honest, seems kinda rare) no one ever wants to play the Paladin.

Is this just my players? What sort of mythical sasquatch-like beast even plays this class?

Seven YEARS without a Paladin? How is that even possible?

I love playing the Paladin - in part because I don't play a "magical boyscout" as you put it. Ugh.

Paladins = Sexy Knights. Even more so since Pathfinder changed their caster stat to Charisma.

This is what I'm talking about:

Yes, I'm aware that the second one is actually a paladin deity - still.

I'd also include a picture of Bernadette from Flipside, but I can't find a good image of her in the 30 seconds I was willing to spend on looking for one.

Hell, I've played a Paladin in RAVENLOFT. That's, like, asking for bad things to happen to you.

The way to play a good paladin is to play a character who is truly concerned about protecting people. I don't generally concern myself with lots of spouting off about honor or that sort of thing - instead, I concentrate on playing paladins who protect people no matter the cost. My paladins (typically) put themselves in danger to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Paladins don't HAVE to have sticks up their asses - that's just a bad stereotype.

Besides... Smites (particularly since Pathfinder made them last the whole encounter) are fucking awesome. ^^

In MMOs I always role the paladin/angel class - I like the notion that actual powers can be achieved through faith...kind of like the Ori in SG1.

But in Dungeons and Dragons they aren't truly a hybrid of warrior and priest but more of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Ryan Minns:
I am sometimes forced to be pally/cleric since somehow, despite all logical reasoning my friends refuse based on... they're Atheist... yeah, I kid you not. In a fantasy world where god/gods aren't a matter of faith but absolute, undeniable fact they refuse based on the fact in this world their faith is in no god so in a fantasy based setting they can't follow a god... I honestly wish I was making this idiocy up. :(

... but you can be a Paladin (or Cleric) of an alignment if you don't want to worship a deity.

You can be a Paladin of being Lawful Good if you want. Hell, a lot of Paladins don't have specific deities because they have a "higher calling". Or the are members of a Knightly Order rather than a religious order.

Do any of your friends play Clerics? If not... how do you get any healing done?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked