Has Halo been forever ruined?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

TheBobmus:
Yes, it appears stepping onto the slippery slope and then abandoning ship leaves your IP going down shit creek.

Complicate the core gameplay some more, remove the skill gap altogether, and god forbid we wait 3 seconds to spawn...

removing weapon spawn locations simplifies things surely?

I strongly believe that randomising it is more fair as it will lead to more fights without such weapons, which is where the good gameplay is.

Dansen:
So now people who worked for their kills are faced with the prospect of getting mobbed a just after their shields recover.

As some named Dansen just said "It happens but it is a legitimate tactic because like it or not, you are just being outplayed."

Since nobody has played it yet, it's completely fair to judge it. I mean, that's how criticism works, right? No testing or hours of non-biased playing, just rant whenever you feel like it.

Just wait for the freaking game, people.

Also, campaign anyone? I'm pretty sure that's still in there.

William Ossiss:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Its just not Halo anymore. Halo is dead.

Not truly dead... Just evolved in a way that many of you don't enjoy. I, for one, like the way reach plays, but I also adore the way 3 played as well. Personally, I'd love more of a combination of the two..

Well, I guess thats fair enough.

You are right: its not really dead, its just dead to me and all those other people who enjoyed Halo 1-3. But if you like the changes and enjoy Reach, all the more power to you.

daveman247:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/screenshot/halo-4-game-informer-scans-reveal-multiplayer-details/

Never heard of the website previous to this, but the scans seem pretty legit.

Hm, false alarm, the changes look good to me. The only thing that looks call of duty-ish is the spartan ops, which is no bad thing. Spec-ops was easily the best part about COD (I dislike the game much but i must give credit for that.)

Random weapon spawns seem good to me. No more players just memorising and rushing for the power weapons. Makes it more fair i think.

Having sprint all the time was a request by many (including me). It seemed silly to have sprint count as a special ability, seems good to me.

And seeing through walls is ALWAYS badass, as long as it isn't over powered.

Seems good to me so far :)

Yeah besides the instant respawns I don't see a problem I very much like the random power weapon spawns.

As a long time fan of the Halo series, I have enjoyed every Halo game to some extent, and I am sure that if I buy Halo 4 I will enjoy that to some extent too, however, After reading all of the details that have been released, I am seriously considering not buying the game because I am simply not happy with almost all of the changes.

Spartan Points -
As long as the amount of points you have doesn't contribute to you rank like cR do, I don't care

Spartan Ops -
*sniffs* Hmm, I smell fish here, specifically CoD. But OK, a "new" gametype cant hurt, can it?

Why Reds fight Blues -
Do we really need a reason? And this reason isn't at all Cliché.

Sprint -
OK, sure, but couldn't they of just increased the movement speed?

Forerunner Vision -
lolwut? See through walls? Seriously?

Returning Armor Abilities -
Jetpack - Ruins map verticality
Hologram - Useless
Invisibility - Better as a map pickup

Elites not in Multiplayer -
Sure, OK, I have never really cared about the Elites, but the Elite "community" must be really pissed off at 343.

Loadouts -
Being able to chose primary, secondary, grenade, armour ability and perk to start the game with? No thanks, WTF is 343 doing?

Grenades -
4 types of grenades? Sure

Returning and new weapons -
Battle Rifle (Yeah, cool)
DMR (Uh, dont they fit the same weapon role?)
Covie Carbine (^^^^^^)
Assault RIfle (Of course)
Plasma Pistol (Yeah, sure)
Sniper Rifle (Of course)
Shotgun (^^^)
Rocket Launcher (^^^)
Energy Sword (^^^)
Assault Carbine (Sounds like an Assault Rifle/SMG hybrid)

Firefight -
Far from perfect, but do they really have the need to remove it?

Regicide -
New game mode? Sure

Distraction and revenge medals -
So rewarding people for sucking? lolwut?

Random weapon spawn -
What? That doesn't make sense? Whats wrong with dedicated spawn locations?

No more respawn delay -
So its not punishing people for dying? Death = Teleport

Joining mid-game -
Long overdue, but it could potentially screw up the ranking system (If its like H3/H2)

TL;DR
Captcha - Oh Yes (How fitting)

Imho it was always mediocre to beign with, so if they're ruining a mediocre FPS, i could care less.

People need to have some more faith these days. When anything is announced that people don't like the sound of they start to speculate like mad instead of waiting for an explanation. Also to people saying it is becoming Cod in what way is it. A lot of the features were in other games long before Cod and lets not forget Cod took a lot of things from other games like Halo as well. So before everyone thinks that the game has been runined lets give 343 a chance to show some actual gameplay. Also the thing I am looking forward to is the campaign which nobody seems to be talking about.

I haven't played much of Halo, myself. I remember playing the original Combat Evolved and have the time of my life with it. Then I remember playing Reach. I didn't have anywhere near as much fun. It was rather messed up. I felt like I was playing a constant game of "Extreme Red Light, Green Light". It felt linear when it should have been and not linear when it should have been. And that inexcusable jeep glitch... Oh, the jeep glitch! Don't get me started on that one!

For everyone saying that random weapon drops will ruin the multiplayer in Halo 4: doesn't the Firefight mode in Reach already do something similar? You start off with a couple of random heavy weapons getting dropped off, and as you progress further through the objectives, you get more heavy weapons dropped off all over the map. Sure didn't ruin Firefight for me. If it's anything like the system in Reach, then I'd be quite interested to see how 4's weapon spawns feel in a deathmatch scenario.

Everything else... sounds pretty good to me.

Ruined FOREVER

How about we give the game a chance instead of jumping to conclusions?

I think this is what it is going to be like with random weapons drops meaning that because it is all a simulation the weapons will be dropped by whoever is managing the system in points that are around the map so you know where the weapons might spawn but not exactly.

Halo Fanboy:

erttheking:

Halo Fanboy:
It's fine to judge mechanics on how they function in the system but Halo that doesnt feel like Halo is still a dissapointment.

Random weapon drops are really indefensible no matter how you look at. Tho it's something that can be fixed easily once they patch in the MLG playlist.

Well considering that no one has played it yet, we really can't say if it feels like Halo or not can we? And no they're not, I'm stoked for that idea, the whole "map control" thing that halo has really annoyed me. "Hey we have this massive map to fight on, but we're only gonna use one tenth cuz that's where the power weapons are.". Power weapon hoarding, spawn camping, that one hyper obsessive mlg guy hogging them all, these are all things that I won't miss. Maybe now we can just relax and have fun and just killing each other instead memorizing the location of each and every power weapon and the spawn timer. Never bothered with that stuff, too much preperation and study when i just want to unwind.

Being on a good team that takes advantage of the weapon spawns is what some people would call "playing the game." This works for Halo because the weapons (if in a br spawn mode) are actually well balanced. A good BR player can kill anyone as long as he knows camping and sniper positions.

Even if you don't like this design, RANDOM spawns are the worst solution possible. Custom loadouts are better, weapon restrictions based on class is better, giving the player every single weapon at spawn is better. random just adds an unnecessary element of luck to the system and it exasperates weapon balance problems because teams can't actually plan around having or fighting against those weapons.

EDIT: and in team objective the sniper and rl are like five feet away from the flag in most maps (atleast the ones people actually play) the only weapons that are majorly contested by both teams are usually shotguns, swords and the S-lazer.

And even with the sniper rifle you get the occasional guy who goes after them and nothing else and spends half of the game turtiling while his teammates are the only ones that actually go out into the open. Less of that please. And some people would call it annoying how everyone's first response is to bullrush the rocket spawn with no coordination at all. Also, nine out of ten times, people don't even have mikes so they don't plan anyway and constantly being forced to fight over the same weapon in the same spot is irratating and boring, halo's randomness is what makes it fun for me and I'll enjoy the random weapon drops because it makes the game more random. Like you said a good person with the BR can kill anyone right? If you're really good you should be fine right? And if liking this makes me not "understand " Halo then call me a braindead COD scrub, but I'm a braindead COD scrub that's having fun.

Terminate421:

One Epic Phail:

Just to simply milk the cash cow that is first person shooters right now, instead of being innovative. Halo 4 will essentially be a re-skin of Reach. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, people are stupid enough to fork out $64 every year for a re-skinned game then do it.
?

How about we all calm down and wait for actual gameplay.

Also, Reach was the best Halo game, it wasn't a reskin and you are acting a little crazy

Oh wow, we're still using Why So Serious memes and acting like Reach was good? 6/10, might rage again.

One Epic Phail:
Making maps balanced

halo?

balanced?

maps?

oh you are funny one sir, quite a peach indeed

erttheking:

Halo Fanboy:

erttheking:

Well considering that no one has played it yet, we really can't say if it feels like Halo or not can we? And no they're not, I'm stoked for that idea, the whole "map control" thing that halo has really annoyed me. "Hey we have this massive map to fight on, but we're only gonna use one tenth cuz that's where the power weapons are.". Power weapon hoarding, spawn camping, that one hyper obsessive mlg guy hogging them all, these are all things that I won't miss. Maybe now we can just relax and have fun and just killing each other instead memorizing the location of each and every power weapon and the spawn timer. Never bothered with that stuff, too much preperation and study when i just want to unwind.

Being on a good team that takes advantage of the weapon spawns is what some people would call "playing the game." This works for Halo because the weapons (if in a br spawn mode) are actually well balanced. A good BR player can kill anyone as long as he knows camping and sniper positions.

Even if you don't like this design, RANDOM spawns are the worst solution possible. Custom loadouts are better, weapon restrictions based on class is better, giving the player every single weapon at spawn is better. random just adds an unnecessary element of luck to the system and it exasperates weapon balance problems because teams can't actually plan around having or fighting against those weapons.

EDIT: and in team objective the sniper and rl are like five feet away from the flag in most maps (atleast the ones people actually play) the only weapons that are majorly contested by both teams are usually shotguns, swords and the S-lazer.

And even with the sniper rifle you get the occasional guy who goes after them and nothing else and spends half of the game turtiling while his teammates are the only ones that actually go out into the open. Less of that please. And some people would call it annoying how everyone's first response is to bullrush the rocket spawn with no coordination at all. Also, nine out of ten times, people don't even have mikes so they don't plan anyway and constantly being forced to fight over the same weapon in the same spot is irratating and boring, halo's randomness is what makes it fun for me and I'll enjoy the random weapon drops because it makes the game more random. Like you said a good person with the BR can kill anyone right? If you're really good you should be fine right? And if liking this makes me not "understand " Halo then call me a braindead COD scrub, but I'm a braindead COD scrub that's having fun.

Eww, using "fun" as a triggerword? That's just down-right nasty. But I do agree that the random spawns are a valid attempt to override the sniper turtling and rocket-spawn rushing that is the bane of so many social slayer games. But that's just it, it's social slayer games where this shit happens. I'm sure the spawns won't be totally random (i.e. the rockets won't spawn inside blue team's base, giving them an absurd, immediate advantage), and I think it's a good idea to be tested in, let's say, a beta? But if they just copy/paste this into literally every game-type and put it in final print, then no, this isn't a good idea.

Also, that particular aspect has nothing to do with CoD. The always-on Sprint, load-outs, and purchasing items which affect gameplay (i.e. armor abilities) IS just catering to the CoD-crowds. But then again, CoD does do SOME things right even if I don't respect them for rehash, rehash, rehash, rehash, rehash. So I'm just waiting to see how it pans out. Would I love HD Halo 3.5? Yes, but then again, that just means I'm a hypocrit for wanting another rehash as well. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now. Can't wait to play it honestly.

scornedbythenine:

One Epic Phail:
Making maps balanced

halo?

balanced?

maps?

How is Halo anything but the definition of balanced? Before Reach, there was no load-outs, which meant every single play you make is based off of real, hard decisions, not lol this looks like a nice spot to camp maybe I can get a whole level here. What's your idea of "balanced" exactly?

savageoblivi0n:

k3v1n:
but, you haven't played it yet. How do you know there is no replay value? how do you know it's unbalanced and etc.??

you hush with your damnable logic sir! This is the internet, if we don't rage every time the slightest bit of preview news comes out for a big title then the Mayans have won! We must rage I tell you! RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGEEE!!

OT: I personally will be withholding judgement until I see it in action

sensible reaction, very unlike the internet....
must mean your a SPY
KEEP OFF MY TELEPORTERS YOU HEATHEN!!

Alexander Bonney:
snip.

Hahahahaha....Thats a-

*Reads comment again*

I think its rather unanimous that Halo: Reach was good. And if we go to rating comments then I don't want to live on this galaxy anymore.

Even then, the OP is still acting crazy.

Eh. While I think generally the Halo games are infinitely more balanced than Call of Duty games, I think a step away from rigid competitive ranking systems is okay. At least, I don't care. I mean, I want the game to be fair and balanced, but I also want everyone to have fun and not take it too seriously.

In the worst case scenario, yes, Halo will turn into CoD, where firstly everyone is super competitive and cares far too much about their kill/death ratio and secondly the game is hideously unbalanced. If only one of those two happens, well, I will be disappointed, but I still would play it over CoD.

scornedbythenine:

One Epic Phail:
Making maps balanced

halo?

balanced?

maps?

I am quite the card

Alexander Bonney:

scornedbythenine:

One Epic Phail:
Making maps balanced

halo?

balanced?

maps?

How is Halo anything but the definition of balanced? Before Reach, there was no load-outs, which meant every single play you make is based off of real, hard decisions, not lol this looks like a nice spot to camp maybe I can get a whole level here. What's your idea of "balanced" exactly?

sniper>pistol>EVERYTHING ELSE

if you spawn near the pistol your set
i play halo one a lot at college and if i have a sniper and pistol i win
not due to skill (im not that good)

even the devs admit the pistol is op
thats why it was shite in aniversery

Ruined forever? Doubt it. Halo 4 being a bit shit based on the details that have been leaked? Most definitely.

Random weapon spawns takes away my favourite part of Halo: Reach. Trapping the weapon-campers and decisively eliminating the whole team. Instant respawns take away the pacing Halo had.

Again. Call of Duty is not bad. I like Call of Duty. But if I load Halo up, I want to play Halo.

But yeah. This game looks dire, and I really hate to jump on the 'Call of Dutification' bandwagon, but it looks like I'm going to sit disconsolately on the rear step, and look morosely at people as we pass through villages. I try to deny it to myself...but this is all just so...Call of Duty.

Not really ruined forever though. They could churn out a thousand generic Call of Halo games and one of them would probably be pretty good.

I just hope that Halo 4 has a decent story. Halo's 1-3 were incredible in terms of story, especially with backstory considered. Then Reach came along and shat all over the established canon. As far as I'm concerned, Reach was nothing but a simulation.

Fuck, you could call it the Phantom Menace of Halo, with how annoying some characters were.

Edit: Oh, right, multiplayer. I like that they have randomized weapon spawns. That's a really smart idea, in my opinion. How could anyone be against that unless they're a camping jerk (or, as the person above me said, a camper of the camping jerks)? I can agree with the dislike for instant respawns, but I'm in support of anything that will bring multiplayer combat at least somewhat towards Halo 2, the best in terms of gameplay (minus connection issues and hackers).

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/screenshot/halo-4-game-informer-scans-reveal-multiplayer-details/
Never heard of the website previous to this, but the scans seem pretty legit.

Oh god. Please, please be fake.

If that's true I'm not even buying the game

I'm not that concerned.

We have so little gameplay footage, and so little info other than this, that there's no way to judge how accurate all this new info is.

Frankie outright says that everybody is misinterpretating all of these details.

I've been a massive halo fan for years. The one thing that has always stayed the same is that no matter how the weapon balance is changed, or the gameplay tweaked, or whatever, is that there is ALWAYS a way to customize the game so it plays how you want it to be, for better or worse.

My only concerns with the game is

1. The grunts we've seen look reptilian/amphibian, not like arthropods.

2. Instant respawn time

3. Lack of firefight or playable elites, though I get the feeling they will be in, just not in the same way.

4. 343 may try to appeal to much to the majority, and remove some of the features from reach that were good.

Bloom, for example. Not the exact amount reach had, per say, but simply showing the innacracy of the weapon via the HUD is what I mean. Even if it wasn't done right for the dmr/NR (Though I think it was, to an extent), removing it on other weapons where the actual bullet spread is still in would be horrible.

chadachada123:
I just hope that Halo 4 has a decent story. Halo's 1-3 were incredible in terms of story, especially with backstory considered. Then Reach came along and shat all over the established canon. As far as I'm concerned, Reach was nothing but a simulation.

Fuck, you could call it the Phantom Menace of Halo, with how annoying some characters were.

I've said this a million times:

The only thing reach retconed was how long it took it to fall, and even then there's the fact that the crystal already bent time before during the events of reach through his return, so it's likely it can be handwaved that it was the crystal again.

Cortana, the PoA, the spartan 3s, EVERYTHING else people say was retconned is explained via the journal, or the book reprints.

Honestly Halo died for me at Halo 3 after seeing the lack of care that went into the product. It just abandoned a lot of what the other two had done great and began to screw over single player for the multiplayer. Although I will say Reach really redeemed the series a small bit in my eyes after deciding to actually have a decent story. But OT I do remain consistent Halo 4 will be crap in every sense of the word.

Then again, there never was much to ruin.

*crowd laughter*

Terminate421:

Alexander Bonney:
snip.

Hahahahaha....Thats a-

*Reads comment again*

I think its rather unanimous that Halo: Reach was good. And if we go to rating comments then I don't want to live on this galaxy anymore.

Even then, the OP is still acting crazy.

Campaign was good. Firefight was good. Armor selection was cool. Animations and other visual design aspects were impressive. Music was great like fucking always. I'm not intentionally downing on Halo Reach as a whole, but this thread is about multiplayer and the multiplayer was more or less complete fucking ass. And no, there is no unanimous agreement that the game is good, especially not multi.

scornedbythenine:

Alexander Bonney:

scornedbythenine:

halo?

balanced?

maps?

sniper>pistol>EVERYTHING ELSE

if you spawn near the pistol your set
i play halo one a lot at college and if i have a sniper and pistol i win
not due to skill (im not that good)

even the devs admit the pistol is op
thats why it was shite in aniversery

I love how you didn't tackle anything pertaining to maps in your second comment. Halo 3 had some of the best maps I have ever seen in an fps. Granted, The Pit was overrated because it was quite honestly the ONLY map where you could spawn kill, and thus, did not even belong in the game as is. However, as to your comment on weapons, I cannot say that Halo the first was balanced. If you were speaking only of Combat Evolved, then I apologize, I never spent a lot of time on that game's multi and it could be complete ass for all I know. Otherwise, the Sniper is NOT easy to use in the other Halo titles, and I will admit that it does cause me frustration at times but usually when I get sniped the other person was just better, and that shows game balance. The pistol in 3 was ass and in Reach it's only good close quarters, which is how it should be.

The OP was clearly talking about Halo Multiplayer and in reading through this thread I've noticed about half of those posting fall into a very stupid category:

'I never played much MP' 'I never played in a game where my team had a strategy'
'MP is second to the campaign for me' 'I only play the Halo's for the campaign'
etc etc etc

This is a very stupid category, cause what the fuck are posting in here for? Why would you try to offer an opinion on something you are fucking clueless about?

Stupid shits

halo_fan:
The OP was clearly talking about Halo Multiplayer and in reading through this thread I've noticed about half of those posting fall into a very stupid category:

'I never played much MP' 'I never played in a game where my team had a strategy'
'MP is second to the campaign for me' 'I only play the Halo's for the campaign'
etc etc etc

This is a very stupid category, cause what the fuck are posting in here for? Why would you try to offer an opinion on something you are fucking clueless about?

Stupid shits

Sounds like someone simply can't take the fact that some people have different opinions.

Uh no sounds like people are posting in a thread talking about stuff that doesn't apply.

Pretty obvious difference between that and what you're saying. try paying attention to things you read.

One Epic Phail:
I guess if you like everything being changed to the Call of Duty style of multiplayer and gameplay, it's alright.

Just to simply milk the cash cow that is first person shooters right now, instead of being innovative. Halo 4 will essentially be a re-skin of Reach. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, people are stupid enough to fork out $64 every year for a re-skinned game then do it. The original halos were all about being competitive, trying to be the best. Making maps balanced, making the playing field pretty even. Instead, the maps are horrible, the ranking system is gone, and the game is horribly unbalanced.

There is literally no replay value to Halo anymore, because there isn't a hard goal to achieve. Getting a higher rank in Halo 2 was hard as hell, Halo 3 was still difficult but not nearly as hard. If you take away goals that people can't achieve, or it's very hard to achieve. Then the game is nothing more than the copy and paste shit that is Call of Duty. CoD isn't a horrible game to play, it just can't hold my attention span because it is stupid easy.

15th prestige? Holy hell, I have to play a few extra months than CoDMW2 LOL

Opinions?

Oh, give me a break. Halo, ruined? Just because of Halo 4? Aren't you overreacting a bit? Because I guarantee, if you put any of your old Halo games into your X-Box after the Halo 4 release, they'll each play the same way they always have. It won't necessarily make Halo 4 any better, but the other Halo games definitely won't be worse for it.

Speaking of which, where are you getting all this info on Halo 4 from? What are your sources? I want to check out all of this myself.

So imagine Halo 4 is a terrible cash-in, which it may very well be. Does that retroactively make all previous Halo games bad?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked