Am About to play Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

RJ 17:

In short, this:

You really enjoy sharing that picture around don't you?

OT: I thought the ending was just kinda meh. Wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

GethBall:

I do wish someone would share some of the FUNNY webcomics that have been put out on this issue. Instead we keep getting the same painfully stupid one. Whatever happened to brevity is the soul of wit?

BloatedGuppy:
My avatar still makes RJ chuckle.

I'll hijack any topic I please! :P But seriously, you're right, this conversation has been had plenty of times over and over again. I've said my piece, you've said yours, I won't continue.

I will point this out, though:

BloatedGuppy:
I also think they're being really stubborn, and setting their sights too high, in their refusal to give the Extended Edition a chance.

Madkipz:
HHAHAHA extended "CUTSCENE" edition. At this point I don't care if its a 5 minute long cinematic of mr.Hudson saying how sorry he is or if it actually clarifies 5 of the 100 plot-holes that the ending created. Fact still remains that they rushed the ending, treated us like shit while gamers in general did everything they could to appear as mature as possible (Retake mass effect, cupcakes and large youtube segmented video's explaining just why the ending sucks).

Quite literally everyone that called us entitled man children did no research, and just stood on their vocal soapbox spouting what is essentially uninformed nonsense while half our support jumped ship on the fucking indoctrination theory like a bunch of moronic sheep.

How can you in the face of EA stonewalling and the Bioware blogs, PAX event treatment still be willing to buy their games when the so called "star wars" of our generation is just a poorly written, chest-high wall simulator. <,<

Mass effect 3's ending to the mass effect universe is broken.

Think that about proves your point. :P

BloatedGuppy:

poiumty:
...and grows in shittiness directly proportional to how big of a fan you are and how much time you spend thinking about it.

This is a very good point. The ending is bad on a first look, but really starts to crumble under more intense analysis. The best thing you can do is say "I GUESS THAT'S THAT" in a loud voice seconds after finishing the game, and then immediately try to blast it from your mind. A sharp blow to the head might do it.

:P Actually I was apparently one of the few people that didn't openly rage at the ending. A friend of mine was in party chat when he beat the game (before me) and good god you should have heard the rage. At one point I think he got possessed and started speaking in tongues followed by incoherent gibbering and bouts of open weeping.

Jesus Christ, how did you avoid spoilers THIS long? You, my friend, are a saint. XD You must have locked yourself in a small cubicle for months.

Anyway. The game is good up till the end so ya know. Enjoy it while it lasts because it really is good. :)

BloatedGuppy:

GethBall:

I do wish someone would share some of the FUNNY webcomics that have been put out on this issue. Instead we keep getting the same painfully stupid one. Whatever happened to brevity is the soul of wit?

Ask and you shall receive!!!

>.> except on the whole brevity thing. :P

Orange Monkey:
OK, so My copy of Mass Effect 3 comes tomorrow, And I've managed to avoid having the ending spoiled for me so far, all I know is that it is apparently disappointing to the point where my comrades-in-arms are all polymorphed into Giant Squids of Anger. What I have to ask is this.

Is all the rage justified? I mean really, unbiased, objectively is the ending THAT BAD that it deserves this kind of unified outrage? I don't think i've ever seen such a massive fallout from how an otherwise much loved series failure.

Thoughts?

Allow me to provide my unbiased opinion.

If you played ME1 and ME2 and you are importing your save file over for this experience. If you enjoy the Lore in ME or follow it at all in any way. I would suggest you take heart into what I have to say below.

I did the same that you are doing right now when the game was released. Many people were saying on the internet that this is what happened in the ending of the game and I turned a blind eye/ear to it to for one, not spoil the experience, and two, to judge the game by my own merits and opinions.

Now the game in general was an amazing experience. I loved the game and I loved how they implemented game mechanics from the 1st and the 2nd game and merged them together into a comfy experience.

When I got to the end however I felt a dark, empty void inside me as I witnessed the end being left Flabbergasted and asking the TV screen, Why?

Why did that happen?

All I would suggest is that you follow the advice mentioned before, if you do not want to go through that horrible experience, let Marauder Shields stop you. He is there for your own protection.

HOWEVER!

I feel that if you have not really cared so much about the Lore of the game you will not feel that disappointed in the ending of the game.

But as the old saying goes, "It's the journey, not the destination", well... That doesn't apply to this unfortunately.

But in short, do not listen to other people's opinions of the ending I would suggest you experience it yourself and put together your own thoughts about it.

GethBall:

OT: I thought the ending was just kinda meh. Wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.

I apply to the Leno school of comedy. If a joke is worth telling once, it's worth telling until you get punched right in your giant, smug chin. :P

RJ 17:
:P Actually I was apparently one of the few people that didn't openly rage at the ending. A friend of mine was in party chat when he beat the game (before me) and good god you should have heard the rage. At one point I think he got possessed and started speaking in tongues followed by incoherent gibbering and bouts of open weeping.

My initial reaction was a sense of vague disquiet and only slightly perceptible unhappiness. It took a few days of mulling things over in terms of plot and theme before I started to feel genuinely annoyed. Then I started reading other people's reactions, which basically reinforced my confirmation bias, and after a week or two of that I was prepared to entomb the ending as one of the biggest creative disasters of all time.

It's really remarkable how deeply layered the bed shitting was. As I've said elsewhere, it's like they actively set out to sabotage their own product. As to your spoilered section...

RJ 17:

Eesh. I guess that guy never met a joke he wasn't ready to run into the ground.

In the most unbiased sense, the ending isn't BAD. It's not the best ending to a game i've ever seen but i've seen much MUCH worse. I am biased towards wanting a better ending however so i'll leave you with this...

ShadowsofHope:
Let Marauder Shields win.

You will thank me later.

Madkipz:
Quite literally everyone that called us entitled man children did no research,

Absolutely, because there is no way anyone's opinion, other than your own, could be valid.

If someone disagrees with you then, as established, their opinion is wrong, therefore the only explanation for them holding that wrong opinion is that they failed to do their research on the subject at hand.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Coming from someone who ignored everything everyone else was saying about the ending before experiencing it... well, It's not the best ending out there, but it's not going to make you run screaming into the forest but-naked, crazed by the horror you just saw.

Also, if you have the Collector's Edition... Start using the Valiant. And then use no other gun for the entire game (You could switch it for a Black Widow later on if you've got the weight limit for it, but... the Valiant. I mean... come on.). Only flaw is it's low spare ammo capacity, so you've got to make your shots count.

BloatedGuppy:
My initial reaction was a sense of vague disquiet and only slightly perceptible unhappiness. It took a few days of mulling things over in terms of plot and theme before I started to feel genuinely annoyed. Then I started reading other people's reactions, which basically reinforced my confirmation bias, and after a week or two of that I was prepared to entomb the ending as one of the biggest creative disasters of all time.

It's really remarkable how deeply layered the bed shitting was. As I've said elsewhere, it's like they actively set out to sabotage their own product. As to your spoilered section...

:P Yeah, can't say that I ever experienced what you mention in the spoiler, but I had heard people complaining about it.

RJ 17:

Eesh. I guess that guy never met a joke he wasn't ready to run into the ground.

RJ 17:

GethBall:

I apply to the Leno school of comedy. If a joke is worth telling once, it's worth telling until you get punched right in your giant, smug chin. :P

Orange Monkey:
OK, so My copy of Mass Effect 3 comes tomorrow, And I've managed to avoid having the ending spoiled for me so far, all I know is that it is apparently disappointing to the point where my comrades-in-arms are all polymorphed into Giant Squids of Anger. What I have to ask is this.

Is all the rage justified? I mean really, unbiased, objectively is the ending THAT BAD that it deserves this kind of unified outrage? I don't think i've ever seen such a massive fallout from how an otherwise much loved series failure.

Thoughts?

If I was you, I would wait until the DLC fix is out before finishing the game.

I just beat the game last night.

First off, avoiding being spoiled up until last night wasn't THAT hard. I saw tons of headlines about complaints with the ending but whenever I saw "SPOILERS AHEAD" I wisely looked elsewhere.

I really went into the ending knowing nothing about what I was going to see, other than the idea that the ending leaves a lot of questions unanswered. In that regard, the anger and rage is DEFINITELY justified. Not knowing ANYTHING about what happens to my squadmates or the galaxy in general is very frustrating. With that I'd have to say that my main complaint with the ending is the lack of closure.

Still, as a complete ending package, which for me starts when you "walk into the beam," I found it to be decent. It did tie up some loose ends and it all played out and was presented in true Bioware fashion, which is to say quite well. Still, the point on from where you get to make "The Decision" does bunch up my panti... err.. my SHORTS a bit.

Overall though it's a shame that about 99% of the press about ME3 has been negative stemming from this controversy, when in reality it is a legitimate nominee for GOTY and a fun third entry into this epic series. I wouldn't bother waiting for the "Extended Cut" DLC to come out to start playing since lord knows when that'll happen. I know they announced "Summer," but that technically means May-September. There will be a spot where the game will automatically save for you before "The end" so you can at least get up to there and then wait for the DLC to be released before you proceed.

BloatedGuppy:

poiumty:
...and grows in shittiness directly proportional to how big of a fan you are and how much time you spend thinking about it.

This is a very good point. The ending is bad on a first look, but really starts to crumble under more intense analysis. The best thing you can do is say "I GUESS THAT'S THAT" in a loud voice seconds after finishing the game, and then immediately try to blast it from your mind. A sharp blow to the head might do it.

The funny thing about that point is good ambiguous endings tend to get better under analysis, not worse. Making a good ambiguous ending is much more difficult then making a good "normal"/"played straight" ending, as you need to get everything just right. It seems (I'll refrain from spoilers, but OP might not want to read the following) that they made an ambiguous ending for the sake of one, not for a risky hope of making it an interesting take at an ending of a franchise that hasn't really done ambiguity like this other then those certain scenes with Shep in ME3...

You'll like it, because it's awesome. Simple as, really.

Make sure your copies of ME1 and ME2, along with any ME merchandise you might have, are all nicely stored in a bin full of petrol, with matches close to hand. Y'know, so you can burn them all and forsake your experience with the series. Apparently that is the proper course of action once you've seen the ending.

BloatedGuppy:

Orange Monkey:

Thoughts?

I highly recommend waiting for the extended edition to be released. There's a chance it'll clean up some of the more egregious issues with the ending, which will ensure you actually experience a dollop of catharsis at the end instead of crashing into a wall. There's really no repairing a first impression, and while your initial impression of the current ending will most likely be hesitation and confusion, your eventual reaction will very likely be profound disappointment or irritation.

Alternatively, play the game, then immediately after you finish assaulting the main Cerberus Base, stop and save. Now go start another character. Do this until you have every class you like (for me that's only 3 of them) and THEN wait for the ending DLC. We have no real assurance that the ending DLC will fix anything (emotionally or otherwise...) but it can't be worse. It really can't be worse at all.

That said, as others have noted, the ending is the only real problem here. Solid story, solid mechanics, basically the same awesome game you'd expect, right up until the last 15 minutes. If you've already bought it, no sense not playing it. But I WOULD hold off playing the very last mission until the ending DLC is released. No sense putting yourself through that emotional beating for nothing.

Draech:
Play and judge for yourself.

My money is on "If you arn't already in the mob, then you will be ok with it" since I am under the impression that it is mob rule taking over.

I could be wrong thou.

I thought the mob was stupid. Then I played the game and ending. Now I'm the one handing out pitchforks and torches...

OT: Play the game skip the ending. Game was good, ending retroactively ruined the series for me.

As someone who absolutely hates the ending, I will freely say that up until those last ten minutes, the game is pretty darn good. Not my favorite in the Mass Effect series, but it has better gameplay than ME2 and I like how they redid the powers and stuff. A few minor quibbles about the story, but then that ending happens...

*sighs*

Okay, here's what I'll say: play the ending, and decide for yourself if you like it.

There's 29 hours and 50 minutes of a phenomenal game well deserving of all those 10's it got. Then more if you're into the co-op multiplayer.

Don't let the movement get you down, sure the ending has earned it's reputation for being quite the nonsensical letdown but the movement's earned it reputation for being full of overreacting entitled whiners too.

Orange Monkey:

Thoughts?

Yep the ending is a complete rushed hack job full of plotholes & flawed logic.
Honestly it's so poor i thought they had done it on purpose just so they could sell the real ending as DLC but even with the horrendously shit end ME3 is still a good game & i'd buy it on steam if they'd drop the PC origin exclusive bullshit.

Awexsome:
There's 29 hours and 50 minutes of a phenomenal game well deserving of all those 10's it got. Then more if you're into the co-op multiplayer.

Don't let the movement get you down, sure the ending has earned it's reputation for being quite the nonsensical letdown but the movement's earned it reputation for being full of overreacting entitled whiners too.

You used the E word.

Say goodbye to your parents, tell your spouse that you love them, and load your revolver with a single bullet. Trust me, a quick painless death is far preferable to the flames you will otherwise receive.

MiloP:

Awexsome:

You used the E word.

Say goodbye to your parents, tell your spouse that you love them, and load your revolver with a single bullet. Trust me, a quick painless death is far preferable to the flames you will otherwise receive.

What can I say. I calls em as I sees em.

I regret nothing. I lived as few men dared to dream.

Enjoy the game and be a big boy, and make your own conclusion's about the game. Don't listen to all the hate, play and see

The ending is all right if you don't think, don't even think a single moment during the end.

I tried the whole "judge for myself " thing. I avoid ALL contact with either the ending or threads about the ending, in order to be completely objective about it.

and...

Honestly, you will love the ride. Rest assured of that. But the ride.

will.

crash.

and.

burn.

Draech:
Play and judge for yourself.

My money is on "If you arn't already in the mob, then you will be ok with it" since I am under the impression that it is mob rule taking over.

I could be wrong thou.

Yes you are.

I finished the game before the EU version was unlocked, and I hated the endings while 90% of the pre-orders were still shipping/preparing for street date.

BloatedGuppy:

Madkipz:
HHAHAHA extended "CUTSCENE" edition.

...and? Sometimes a cut scene is enough. I've always said that the likeliest scenario is they upgrade the ending from abomination to "poor", but a poor ending never would've had so many people up in arms to begin with. Yes, it would be nice if the ending was AWESOME, but that ship has sailed.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.

And no cutscene can overwrite the lack of "choice matters" that was promised, 16 different endings or lack of consistency with the rest of the universe.

Daystar Clarion:

ShadowsofHope:

You will thank me later.

Also, this :D

'Who is Marauder Shields?' I hear you say.

You'll know.

And when it happens.

Let him win.

Don't forget the three Husketeers.

They're ignored far too much.

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

ShadowsofHope:

You will thank me later.

Also, this :D

'Who is Marauder Shields?' I hear you say.

You'll know.

And when it happens.

Let him win.

Don't forget the three Husketeers.

They're ignored far too much.

It always looked to me like they were just playing a REALLY intense game of tag Shepard just happened to walk into :P.

Aside from Shepard, Mr. Shields is the biggest damned hero in the goddamned galaxy.

Yes, the rage is justified.

Yes, the ending is that bad.

Yes, regardless of that fact, Mass Effect 3 is a superb game and almost everything about it is excellent.

My advice...

It really is good if you just pick a spot well before the ending where you want it to end. I picked a spot after you beat a particularly annoying douche as my ending. The rest I like to think Anderson and Hackett sorted out.

The game is fantastic (in my opinion) up until the very end. You should definitely play it and enjoy it. However, the ending is a tad bit confusing, vague, and overall unsatisfying. Do not let it ruin the game for you, because it is still a great game.

Marauder Shields, you glorious bastard, why didn't I listen? You tried to stop me, to protect me..... I'll never forget you!

Orange Monkey:

Thoughts?

If I had the option, here's what I would do:

Play the game - almost all of it - and enjoy it. It's awesome until the ending. However, once Marauder Shields attempts to stop you, let him. As has been said, you'll know when this happens. If you don't, however, it comes down to "don't go into the light".

Once you've reached that part stop playing. The gameplay is essentially over at this point anyway, all that's left are some mediocre dialogue options, the epitome of a Deus Ex Machina, and a crappy technicolor cutscene. Hop online and go here, then read through the comics. That'll be your ending, and you'll be absolutely amazed at the entirety of the story and think the game was spectacular. From there wait until the ending DLC is released and see what sort of reviews it gets. If they're good all around go ahead and download it then play the real ending. If not, don't bother.

Trust me when I say the ending is an abomination of writing that should never have gotten past the outline stage, much less put into a game.

Edit: Actually, those comics take the whole ending into account, so you could probably play it anyway and still get the same out of it. However, if it were me, I would rather go ahead and try to piece together what you would've gone through if you played the whole game than actually play it. It'll likely end up making more sense.

pvaglueman123:
In the most unbiased sense, the ending isn't BAD. It's not the best ending to a game i've ever seen but i've seen much MUCH worse. I am biased towards wanting a better ending however so i'll leave you with this...

ShadowsofHope:

You will thank me later.

I'm actually curious, because I've been trying to think of one and have yet to come up with anything, but can you give me a game that's had a worse ending? Maybe it's just the difference in quality from pre-ending to during the ending is so huge that it makes it seem worse, but for me this is just about the worst ending I've seen in a long, long time.

Yeah, what everybody else said. I've played much better games with far worse endings.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked