Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Nothing I can recall at the moment, but I taught my brother about the melee key right after he started his second RAGE playthrough. :D

EDIT: Wait... I didn't realize I could rotate the camera while in the combat menu in Mass Effect 1... until I'd played Mass Effect 2.

ajemas:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.

Wait....what?

Okay, I guess that's my answer to this thread, then.

The Wykydtron:
Hey if the rest of the world subscribed to the Helloween School of Naming Things the world would be a much more awesome place XD

"Bob what shall we call this contraption?"

"Spiky Death Laser of Doom sir!"

"Very good Bob. Bob? Where ar- Oh no not again Bob! Why does all the murder keep happening to you!?"

Indeed.

And let's not forget the "multi-cultural skeleton maker" :)

J03bot:

Gennadios:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

Wait, what? Does this mean I don't have to just sit there and get my face eaten by a banshee? Explain how

Mash 'F' to not die.

BathorysGraveland:
Yeah, when I was younger I used to play this old FPS called Blood. There was a certain enemy type that scared the shit out of me because I thought they were instant death. They were animated severed hands, influenced by Ash's hand in Evil Dead 2. I didn't know until years later that you could actually remove the hands from your throat when they attach themselves to you. Suddenly, they don't seem as scary anymore.

I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!
Yeah, those hands were terrible. On my second playthrough I discovered you can get em off your throat by pressing the use button. Made me feel like an idiot.

I made it through an old FPS called Shadow Warrior, and discovered in one of the last levels that selecting the same weapon more than once changes its firing mode. It's useful to know that your shotgun can also shoot all three barrels at the same time, or that your rocket launcher can also shoot homing missiles and nukes.

Threx:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"

A guy from work played Skyrim for months and beat it without ever finding out about the quick-travel feature. He walked from point A to point B the ENTIRE game.

The ability to mash out of fatalities in the original Killer Instinct.

I didn't realise I could do alchemy in Oblivion for an entire 60 hour playthrough.

I made it through most of the REmake not knowing that you could run. It made the game a lot more intense.

I also didn't know about the bathroom in Catherine until after I beat it. I still don't know what it's for

I would have probably never known about the carriages in Skyrim if I hadn't seen it on a tips website. The game does nothing at all to tell you that it has that. They could have done it as a loading screen tip instead of getting the dark brotherhood chant most of the time.

Also it wasn't till quite late in ME3 that I actually bothered to go down to the shuttle deck and find the shop to upgrade your weapons. I tried to avoid going to other decks as much as possible cos in ME2 it had overly long loading times to go to the Normandys decks.

The first couple of levels of Ikaruga I completed without knowing how to switch polarities. It was difficult...

I finished Kingdom Hearts without knowing there was a 100-Acre Woods level. I mean, I knew there was one, but I didn't know how to get to it. Did the entire game before finding that out.

Alot of Fable 3 i missed out like marriage, kids etc

Threx:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"

I only discovered the Mako's cannon on my second play through too. That sure made all the Thresher Maw fights easier.

I remember playing Secret of Evermore back on the SNES and going through the entire first world without knowing I could charge my weapons to increase striking power as they leveled up. It wasn't the entire game, but it was quite a while. Honestly, I can't believe I made it that far... was wondering why the game was so gruelingly difficult... :P

Zaul2010:
Also it wasn't till quite late in ME3 that I actually bothered to go down to the shuttle deck and find the shop to upgrade your weapons. I tried to avoid going to other decks as much as possible cos in ME2 it had overly long loading times to go to the Normandys decks.

Me to, hated the time it took to travel on your ship. I found that area early on but had no money to buy anything and then just forgot about. I probably would never of remembered the upgrade area existed if there wasnt an achievement to remind me. lol

Oh, I had a friend who also had no idea about the critical strikes in Super Mario RPG...somehow. He had a really hard time with the game.

Auto move in Fallout 3. I just held down W like a chump for lord knows how many hours.

EDIT: As a gamer of a certain generation I found this comic particularly poignant http://xkcd.com/667/

Zaul2010:
I would have probably never known about the carriages in Skyrim if I hadn't seen it on a tips website. The game does nothing at all to tell you that it has that. They could have done it as a loading screen tip instead of getting the dark brotherhood chant most of the time.

They patched in somewhat of a fix for the ME2 load times. They're not overly long now, but they're not the half a second load times that ME3 has either.

I finished Splinter Cell without knowing that if you pressed the left trigger near a guard even if he was alerted you would knock him out in one hit and he wouldn't die. That would have been incredibly handy in every level for every single enemy.

I finished Batman: Arkham City and never did the counter on knife-wielding thugs.

There is so much to do in Skyrim that I often feel like one play through isn't enough to truly experience everything.

Monster Hunter Tri. If you're using the classical controller pro, hitting the extra right shoulder button allow your characterto swim vertical when in the water. This is extremely useful when your character need air when you're in the water for too long.

SlaveNumber23:
Isn't really a gameplay feature, but over 160 hours into Skyrim over 5 different characters and I never finished the main questline, not on a single character.

So you've never seen the wonder that is Brodahviing? That's something you should fix.

imahobbit4062:
78 hours into Skyrim, accidently wiped my saved. Started a new game and I found out you could use carriages to get to the main cities instantly instead of walking...

Ignorance is bliss there. You probably know of Quick Travel (if you don't, I'll repeat, ignorance is bliss), so at least you got to actually explore/use the world a bit before you were able to beam yourself everywhere by the click of a button.

OT: Not that I can think of atm (might be forgetting something or am completely oblivious of what I've missed still). There are features I avoid for a while, sometimes completely, but can't think of any that I just completely missed.

Closest is the fact I constantly cleaned up rooms of somewhat difficult mobs in ME3 only to realise once they were all dead there's a "pick up and fire to wipe out the entire fucking room with one shot" weapon standing like 3 feet away from me x.x

took me like 40 hours before i realised i could quick heal in killing floor,

never really mattered that much i was quick enough so it never really got me killed or anything. but its certainly nice.

you can pimp stance your way to an objective in deadspace. which for a linear game its really easy to get lost.

for about half of resident evil 5 i didnt realise i could upgrade guns, no idea how i missed it, just assumed each new gun i found was an upgrade.....that game was a lot easier the second time around

I never upgraded any of my augmentations in deus ex human revolution untill my second play through.I missed so much and never even knew that i had missed it!

40 hours into Oblivion, I had learned you could cast spells.
So much facepalm the day

There was this Ducktales game way back in the day. I have played and beat that game a lot of time as a kid. I wanted to play that again pretty recently since I remembered enjoying it. Turns out the game had a stock exchange system to earn money more quickly.

Also Xenoblade has a skip travel feature that I only found out about when I was getting close to the end.

Block in witcher 2, i jumped a lot..

DarthRiko:
When I was younger and only had a Gamecube, I managed to play all the way through Starfox: Assault without jumping.

Yes, I actually thought you could not jump.

That's an infection you picked up playing Zelda games over the years :)

For me its that in Metal Gear Solid you could have rations as active and you would be healed upon death if you had any available. I kept switching during fights to heal. Ugh.

Didn't know about fast Travel in Oblivion until a friend told me.
Didn't know you could sprint in Skyrim until the same friend told me.
Didn't know i could go back over the lake at night in Resident Evil 4 until yesterday.

BiggyShackleton:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.

Really? I tried that and didn't work once, so I went on presuming you had to mash A.

I went 5 hours in to Mass Effect 2 without realizing the relevance of the minerals you gained. I had a large amount of E0 just stockpiled on the Normandy.

BiggyShackleton:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.

Are you seriously? I've accumulated so many hours on both games,...and I had no idea. (Wait, PC and console? I played Fallout 3 on console, and New Vegas on PC - so doesn't matter) Either way, knowing that I could have pressed something to keep drinking instead of having to constantly sip a little bit at a time, is mind-blowing.

Stephen Mack:
I had logged many long days in Minecraft before a friend told me I can use L-shift to avoid falling off edges.

You just blew my mind...

So, SO many deaths from falling that could of been avoided...

x_x

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked