I think I'm finally over ME3 now...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I coped by thinking about how crap the game actually is overall, and how its not just the ending, and how since this is the direction Bioware is heading, I really don't like them any more.
I'm somewhat sad that ME3 ruined the entire series for me, but I no longer give a damn, just like I don't give a damn about any Bioware games any more.

Personally, ME3 is possibly the biggest waste of potential I've seen in a long time - endings excluded.

However, Bioware does what Bioware wants to do, and they can reap what they sew. If this loses them a lot of fans and business, its their own damn fault. If it doesn't, well good for them, but they've still lost mine.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
How did I "cope"? You've gotta be shitting me. People "cope" with dead loved ones, or terminal diseases. We're talking about a damn videogame here. I was over it about a day after I beat the game.

Who are you to tell people what to care about?

Seriously. Lose that attitude. People care about a game? That is no more wrong than caring about a loved one. We all find meaning in our life, and where we find that meaning is up to us - not some arrogant people on the Internet and in society who think that everyone should feel the same way about the same things as they do.

You may find caring about a video game 'Sad', but it is something some people do. Don't try to tell people what to care about. What you care about is no more or less valid than what anybody else does. If they care about games, and you don't - there is nothing wrong with that.
Its like those "Get a life" people. Who are they to say what a life is or isn't?

The shitty ending had such an impact on my life that I basically became a zombie and didn't shower for weeks.
That's what I tell people when they complain about the smell anyway.

But seriously though it didn't affect me much beyond me simply hating the ending. I still liked the rest of the game.
Hell I even replayed 1 & 2 to make my final "true" save import and am currently replaying 3.
I've also enjoyed the multiplayer quite a lot, still do.

Now I'm just hoping they'll make a DLC that somehow involves the redirection of an asteroid, only then will Mass Effect come full circle.

RatRace123:
*snip*

Wall O' text is exactly what I was hoping for. :) Some great points.

I really agree with the Quarian/Geth stuff lacking proper set-up, but especially so in the case of Thessia. I never considered that the missing ingredient was appropriate set-up, but it makes perfect sense. The ending of Thessia was so bizarre because it's basically the first and only time in the series that Shepard suffers a defeat in combat, and it really isn't a convincing one at all. On top of that, he leaves Thessia and suffers a Heroic BSOD, and just like you I was wondering, of all the places, really, here? Not when VS nearly died on Mars, not when Mordin/Wrex/Thane/Miranda/Legion/Tali/whoever died... but over an artifact you can steal back?

Conversation system I didn't mind most of the time, except in the aforementioned example where all of a sudden Shepard was getting weirdly emotional without any input from me. I don't mind it in other games, but it doesn't... happen... in ME... it was just weird.

The journal was terrible.

But for me, the emotional arc and the writing, from Mars through Tuchanka and parts of Rannoch in particular, was more than enough to catapult the game into my top 5. Reuniting Wrex with Garrus and Liara on Sur'Kesh, and then Mordin on top of that, was one of the funniest/most dramatic missions of my gaming career... or losing Mordin, then Legion/Tali in such quick succession... I don't think I shed any manly tears, but even if I didn't, it's by far the closest a game has come to eliciting that powerful a response. And EDI's speech on Earth... yikes.

Fuck you, catpcha. Fuck you. "It's over." I know it's over, god damnit.

pure.Wasted:
*Snip*

Yeah, the emotional character driven stuff is what does it for me too. It's what ultimately makes the game worthwhile in my book. Despite all the negatives I've said, and I'm sure to say again in the future, when Bioware does what they do best, there are fewer who are finer at it.

I got over it by not buying it, then laughing at those who did and got burned with the RBG ending.

Apparently I'm better at pattern recognition than most people.

Well I earned 250 bucks the week I ended Mass Effect 3, so that really helped me clear my head off the ending.

pure.Wasted:

What did you dislike? If you don't mind my asking.

Not directed at me, but I'll answer anyway:
-The amount of auto dialogue. It was rediculous.
-Lack of any neutral dialogue options, and few investigate options.
-The fact that Shepard went from your character to Bioware's character. Auto-dialogue, dreams, final [lack of] choice - Bioware's Shepard. Not mine.
-The Deus Ex Machina/Magic Bullet that was the Crucible.
-The action set pieces. Seriously, just let me play the game, don't interrupt every few minutes with something blowing up next to me. A few times, its ok. But most of the time it just felt obnoxious and in the way.
-The complete linearity of the game. All story missions were forced to happen in the exact same order, whereas in ME1 and ME2 I had at least some level of control over the order I did the quests in.
-Sidequests. In ME3, 31 of 53 sidequests were those eavesdropping fetchquests, and 6 were multiplayer map quests. In total, 69.8% of sidequests in ME3 were without substance.
-I felt that the Dialogue was extremely hit or miss - more so than usual. It contained some of the best writing in the series, but also some of the worst.
-I don't think I need to go into the ending
-Kai Leng boss fights were terrible. If you're going to have an unbeatable boss, make them unbeatably fast and agile [As he's a ninja], not rely on cutscene magic.
-After Tuchanka, it felt rushed. No steady buildup towards anything, it all just happened. I can kinda get it for the Citadel attack, but there should have been some buildup there, and the mission itself felt quite meh to me. Rannoch and Thessia though... There just wasn't any buildup, or time to cooldown from the last mission. Some true sidequests would have helped here, but so would some buildup in the actual missions themselves. Noveria didn't start with you fighting the Rachni straight up, that only happened midway through, and you only found out what they were near the end.
-The romances, at least for ME2 characters, were abysmal IMO, and Femshep got really shafted for Romances.
-Decisions were completely retconned. You killed the Ranchi? No you didn't. Anderson on the Council? Nope. Killed the Council? Good thing we had emergency clones made before that incident!
-Decisions amounted to nothing anyways. The biggest decisions were the most Shafted. Saving the Collector base, Killing the Council and Killing the Rachni is at most something like 200 TMS different from Destroying the Collector Base, Saving the Council and Saving the Rachni.

And various other minor issues I had with the game. The one thing I thought actually got improved in ME3 was the combat. That was it.

I was over it too till I got near the end of my insanity playthrough bleh not looking forward to the end again.

Joccaren:
And various other minor issues I had with the game. The one thing I thought actually got improved in ME3 was the combat. That was it.

Although most of your points are entirely valid, I'd like to add a few other improvements for consideration: 1) more weapon/skill customization, 2) getting to see such a multi-layered, atmospheric Citadel, 3) more meaningful interaction with the squadmates you have, even if you don't romance them - them moving around the ship; them having a life outside of you and going to the Citadel or talking to each other; important + emotional roles for Wrex, Mordin, and VS, arguably Garrus, Liara, EDI, and Tali* as well - and 4) great set-pieces/level design. Explosions might have been over-the-top, but there's no denying the main levels were more creative than last time around.

*I'm not Tali's biggest fan, never was, but the contrast between starting a mission with her laying down plans for where her house is going to be, to having her commit suicide at the end of that same mission... that's pretty potent storytelling. ME2 had character drama, too, but usually it was purely of the let's-talk-about-it variety.

edit: 5) the ability to legitimately, profoundly disagree with squaddies, ME1 Wrex-style. Wrex, Mordin, Legion, Tali, and VS can all [i]die[/i] because you disagree with them. 3 of them physically by your own hand. The worst ME2 got was, what, not gaining their loyalty? I guess you could get Zaeed killed, but who cares, really? You meet the guy and 10 minutes later he's dead. Not really Wrex or Mordin, there.

RatRace123:
snip

Just on the Quarian/Geth thing - I think the lack of build up can be explained by the fact that the build up has really happened over the three games (and has been a central theme of each), whereas the Krogan/Salarian one wasn't as central a plot point (apart from Virmire obviously).

Somewhat agree about Thessia though - I felt attached to Thessia because of Liara, but there was a certain lack of build up there which was disappointing. The overall pacing may have to do with the setting - I definitely felt a sense of urgency in completing missions and side missions, and this just became more apparent as the game progressed.

As for the story - I guess in a way I can understand the streamlining that was done. I mean the game is meant to be tying loose ends up and providing closure for the overarching story - not introducing a ton of new material which then also needs to be finished within the confines of the game. I can also understand fans dislike of this approach given the story-rich settings of the previous games though.

I really enjoyed the game, but like you, I did feel it was a bit short compared to what I was expecting. I know DLC will fill that out (and i'm happy to pay for good DLC), so i'm not too fazed by the length.

pure.Wasted:

But for me, the emotional arc and the writing, from Mars through Tuchanka and parts of Rannoch in particular, was more than enough to catapult the game into my top 5. Reuniting Wrex with Garrus and Liara on Sur'Kesh, and then Mordin on top of that, was one of the funniest/most dramatic missions of my gaming career... or losing Mordin, then Legion/Tali in such quick succession... I don't think I shed any manly tears, but even if I didn't, it's by far the closest a game has come to eliciting that powerful a response. And EDI's speech on Earth... yikes.

Very much this.

pure.Wasted:

Joccaren:

Although most of your points are entirely valid, I'd like to add a few other improvements for consideration: 1) more weapon/skill customization, 2) getting to see such a multi-layered, atmospheric Citadel, 3) more meaningful interaction with the squadmates you have, even if you don't romance them - them moving around the ship; them having a life outside of you and going to the Citadel or talking to each other; important + emotional roles for Wrex, Mordin, and VS, arguably Garrus, Liara, EDI, and Tali* as well - and 4) great set-pieces/level design. Explosions might have been over-the-top, but there's no denying the main levels were more creative than last time around.

one thing I liekd abotu ME3 was the crew memberd actually talked/interacted with each other..they felt like a realy team

in ME2 you can a colurful cast of charachters and the games focus was on "the team" excpet they were too seperated, each existing in their own little room..I didnt know what Thne thourght of Jack or what Samara or Mordin would talk about....that kind of stuff

distortedreality:
[qAs for the story - I guess in a way I can understand the streamlining that was done. I mean the game is meant to be tying loose ends up and providing closure for the overarching story - not introducing a ton of new material which then also needs to be finished within the confines of the game. I can also understand fans dislike of this approach given the story-rich settings of the previous games though.

I was actually really really impressed with the story

there were a few eyebrow rasing things...like crucible "fix for everything comes out of nowhere" and illusive man going all "cartoon evil"...and the quarians..(you guys are at war?...now?...DID YOU ALL CATCH A VIRUS THAT MAKES YOU RETARDED???!!)

but overall considering how they had to bring everything together I wasnt dissapointed

I just tell myself that the one true ending is Shepard shagging Morinth in ME2. Made things a whole lot easier.

Joccaren:
Council? Nope. Killed the Council? Good thing we had emergency clones made before that incident!

not really a retcon since anderson left the council anyway because he wanted to go back to alliance military

and to be fair theres no way they wouldnt have eventually replaced the other council representitaves

I mean if you assasinate the president that doesnt mean you simply do without a president

I'm guessing you're not over it since you felt compelled to make this thread telling us about it.

Vault101:

Joccaren:
Council? Nope. Killed the Council? Good thing we had emergency clones made before that incident!

not really a retcon since anderson left the council anyway because he wanted to go back to alliance military

and to be fair theres no way they wouldnt have eventually replaced the other council representitaves

I mean if you assasinate the president that doesnt mean you simply do without a president

I'm with Joccaren on this one. Being faithful to ME1's choices, if Anderson was on the council, he shouldn't have been allowed to leave. And if you're tempted to say "but that's who Anderson is, the fact that he would abandon governing is the reason you picked him for the job in the first place" - and I think I would agree - then they should have invented a reason why it was impossible for him to do that. He was running out of his office on the citadel and broke his leg. ...whatever.

When we make an important decision, we don't want a good justification for why our decision doesn't have huge consequences, we want huge consequences, even if THOSE require a good justification to keep in play.

you know what could have made the crucible less of a "magic fix from nowhere"

was that in ME1 or ME2 the prothian beacon is showing to mess with shepards mind, and you know if movies when charachters are crazy they start scrawling stuff on walls and such?

well what if the designs for the crucible were in the prothian beacon on eden prime?

with delayed effect shepard starts sketching it all down...he/she doesnt know why or what it is but its in his/her head and she has a complusion to write it out

wow..I now almsot understand fanfic writers

pure.Wasted:

I'm with Joccaren on this one. Being faithful to ME1's choices, if Anderson was on the council, he shouldn't have been allowed to leave. And if you're tempted to say "but that's who Anderson is, the fact that he would abandon governing is the reason you picked him for the job in the first place" - and I think I would agree - then they should have invented a reason why it was impossible for him to do that. He was running out of his office on the citadel and broke his leg. ...whatever.

When we make an important decision, we don't want a good justification for why our decision doesn't have huge consequences, we want huge consequences, even if THOSE require a good justification to keep in play.

fair enough...I mean I think its kind of silly to think "hey! the council is dead! humans rule the space government!"

I think perhpas the intended effect of the councils death was resentment against humans..*shrug*

now that I think about it its been 2 years in ME2 and they still didnt bother replacing the council?

I coped by not giving a shit. I loved the Mass Effect series, probably more than you, especially if you think the entire game or entire series is ruined because of the ending. Which is ridiculous. 99% of Mass Effect 3 was excellent, so the sloppy ending did nothing to deter my enjoyment of it.

RatRace123:
snip

As much as I hate to admit it. I have to agree with you on almost all of your points.

In retrospect, ME3 did sort of feel rushed compared to the first two games, and I'm not really happy with some of the design and story choices it has made. I mean people who romanced Jacob were pretty much screwed because

scorptatious:

RatRace123:
snip

As much as I hate to admit it. I have to agree with you on almost all of your points.

In retrospect, ME3 did sort of feel rushed compared to the first two games, and I'm not really happy with some of the design and story choices it has made. I mean people who romanced Jacob were pretty much screwed because

I don't think the Jacob thing is that bad for that reason. I don't think people who romanced Jacob would have had (such) a problem with him doing the same thing, if he then went on to become a main character with plot importance, great character moments of self-doubt and conflict, redemption, etc.

The problem is that between him abandoning Shepard and him not having any depth or meaningful contributions to the story, it felt like a huge "Fuck you" from Bioware to the 3 people who liked him enough to romance him.

It's the difference between how the VS was handled in ME2 compared to ME3. In ME2 they caught a lot of flak for being a douche, even if you were into them in ME1, but in ME3 the situation became so much more complicated that it was easy to understand their perspective, and they mattered. Even if they betrayed your trust, it was a meaningful betrayal, not off-handed like Jacob's.

I loved the ending.

Yes, the last second of Joker didn't make since to me, but I wasn't mad. If I had to stop and take a brake of playing a game not cuz I was doing bad, but cuz my friend died and I needed to recollect myself. I died and I was happy that I won, Ash and Liara died in the final blast as did Wrex, so my best friend and girlfriend died after that my death at the end was perfect.

Sassafrass:
I played another game.
Then I replayed ME3 a bit on my ReneFemShep save.
Then I played Vanquish for a bit.
Now I just play WoW and BF3 with friends as I'm currently in a gaming funk and not in the mood for anything else.

something like that for me as well.

I was getting bored with ME3 even with the Multiplayer DLC so I started playing Saints Row 3 again, then I got bored with that so I ended up buying KoA: Reckoning, and even though I enjoy that game I cant bring myself to play it for more than an hour at most every few days.

When I get my actual computer back I might end up in a Sims 3 sabbatical until early June.

man, if only Operation Raccoon City didn't suck so bad, maybe I would of gotten it to play online.

scorptatious:

RatRace123:
snip

I guess Jacobs a bit of a playa

that would be annoying..at least with thane you know he's dying soo....

I guess since it was clear jacob wasnt a popular choice they could get away with that, which yeah...kinda sucks...esepcially if you look at it in-universe

"oh hey shepard...yeah, I really liked you but Im with somone else...and were having a baby...we uhh...she wants to name it after you though?"

surprised shepard didnt punch him

Vault101:

I didn't find it too surprising.

Sure he cheated on her, but he didn't say anything disingenuous.

AverageJoe:
I coped by not giving a shit. I loved the Mass Effect series, probably more than you, especially if you think the entire game or entire series is ruined because of the ending. Which is ridiculous. 99% of Mass Effect 3 was excellent, so the sloppy ending did nothing to deter my enjoyment of it.

but giving a shit is the problem

its because we gave a shit...ALOT that the ending was such a punch in the face

granted Im now on my secodn playthrough so Im more or less over it, I cared so much..especially about shepard

I guess its liek an investment, the more you invest (emotionally) the bigger the payoff (like Portal 2..I hit the jackpot there)...and when thease things happns you lose...

I lost about 3 million worth of emotion

RatRace123:

Vault101:

Just as they're saying goodbye, FemShep should have had renegade interrupt to say "Oh, by the way, I found out I'm pregnant. Have a nice life, though."

Two weeks later Jacob's new wife finds a suicide note.

RatRace123:

Vault101:

I havnt seen the scene in question (if you romanced jacob)

but I mean I dont know what things were like when they parted ways...but if shepard didnt know..and then "hey shep! Im gonna be a daddy!"

that would hurt....alot

pure.Wasted:

Just as they're saying goodbye, FemShep should have had renegade interrupt to say "Oh, by the way, I found out I'm pregnant. Have a nice life, though."

I dont think jacobs wife would comit suicide over another owmen getting pregnat

now if shepard had said

"oh by the way Jacob...turns out I've got the assari equivalent of HIV...its liek the human kidn but worse"

hehehehehehe....

I got hyped up about D3. After playing the open beta weekend there has been nothing else on my mind. 15th of may...time just seems to snaaaaaaaaaaaaaail byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...................

Vault101:

pure.Wasted:

I dont think jacobs wife would comit suicide over another owmen getting pregnat

now if shepard had said

"oh by the way Jacob...turns out I've got the assari equivalent of HIV...its liek the human kidn but worse"

hehehehehehe....

Nono, Jacob's wife would find Jacob's suicide note. Because he made the same mistake as his father, something he says he does not want to do in ME3 (which is why he won't run off with you in the first place).

Caramel Frappe:
Let's just say the only reason why I hold onto ME3 is because of the multiplayer. I'm already planning on giving away my other two Mass Effect games, because in truth- what's the point in playing all three games if it just means I get the same ending no matter how hard I try (or how lazy I am, ether way). But keeping ME3 for the multiplayer, while the main story is dead to me.

even if the story were (or is) linear I still find it enjoyable,

we all re-read books/re-watch movies? mabye Im odd for doing the same with games but

I love the world too much

pure.Wasted:

Nono, Jacob's wife would find Jacob's suicide note. Because he made the same mistake as his father, something he says he does not want to do in ME3 (which is why he won't run off with you in the first place).

oh...yeah that makes sense

I doubt he would commit sucide though, jsut try to be a better dad to both

I cant really imagine femshep ahvign children though

Vault101:

pure.Wasted:

oh...yeah that makes sense

I doubt he would commit sucide though, jsut try to be a better dad to both

I cant really imagine femshep ahvign children though

She didn't have any kids. She just said that to fuck with him. :)

Caramel Frappe:

Vault101:
even if the story were (or is) linear I still find it enjoyable,

we all re-read books/re-watch movies? mabye Im odd for doing the same with games but

I love the world too much

If you love the world too much because you're okay with playing ME3's story again.. I guess that leaves me-
*puts shades on*
wanting to watch the world burn.

[
In all seriousness, I am actually okay with ME3's story and even leeway for the Reaper's reason on wanting to wipe out all existence (even though they only wipe out the advance races and leaves the smaller ones alone.. I guess this time they just said screw it and went for everyone) but the ending and how Shepard accepted his fate when in the previous games.. he fought for his beliefs on the galaxy.. ugh you know where i'm going with this don't you >_>

actually from what the catalyst said the reapers were only after the space fairing ones...dont know about the yagh since they are aware of the galactic comuntiy so they could be athreat in the next cyle

anyway the Idea is its a cycle of growth and destruction...keeping everything in the cycle, not letting it get past a certian point

the reaper starchild is full of shit though...indoctrination theory or not he's suing circle logic and being manipulative

at the end I was like what? NO! SCREW THIS MY SHEPARD DOES NOT DIE!!!...anyway the option I chose is the closesnt to "not" dying

anyway...I guess Im more sentimental with my games but it seems a shame jsut to get rid of them

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked