Moments in Games that Made you Cry

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

*Spoilers ahead (probably)*
First of all, death of Mordin and Thane in ME3. I just loved those guys.
Next:Shadow of Colossus. Not that I cried, but I felt some sort of crying feeling every time I killed the Colossi.
But the most tear-bringing moment for me is ending of Final Fantasy X. Six times I've completed it, six times I cried.

deserteagleeye:
That one scene in Persona 4 and the ending. I wouldn't dare spoil it.

I played the game. Which scene are you talking about?

Jynthor:
Manly tears were shed when Mordin died in ME3. And Grunt's scene got close.
Such a shame all that emotion turned to hate when I got to the ending. Oh well.

All of this, plus last two hours of MGS4. That ending ruined what was one of the best games ever.

I don't think i've ever cried because of a game, but i do always feel a certain sadness whenever i complete a long rpg game like final fantasy.

I'm not entirely sure why.

In Final Fantasy VII when RED XIII discovers the truth about his father.

Journey, every damn time. Whenever I've played a long game with one person and we have to part at the end, it always makes me cry because I never want it to end also the fact that Journey is so beautiful and lovely and my life as it is now is not soooo yeah.

Portal 2 did it for me. Just after finishing the game, i lay the controller down and teared up a bit.

Also, GTA4. I genuinely felt bad for Niko after Kate died, yet surprised at how deeply immersed i was in their relationship.

It wasn't exactly the ending of MGS4 that got me. It was that goddamn microwave tunnel. The whole game builds up watching your favorite hero pushing himself to death, and really crescendos at that point.

Also Drawn to Life 2. There is one point in that game where EVERYTHING THAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG does. Also the ending was really depressing.

End of Mass Effect 3. Joker flying the Normandy.

It's the first time anything in fiction has EVER made me cry. And then I came back to the internet, where everyone hates it... it's confusing.

I do get very close other times though, the most recent I can think of being Veronica's end panel in Fallout: New Vegas. I... I killed her family. I was a monster.

Mass Effect 3's ending.

You know where this is going... :P

Jynthor:
Manly tears were shed when Mordin died in ME3. And Grunt's scene got close.
Such a shame all that emotion turned to hate when I got to the ending. Oh well.

I teared up a bit for Mordin & Thane but not for Grunt - I can't imagine he'd want to die in bed ...and then there's the way Grunt's "last stand" played out too.

Fallout 3's original ending pushed my weepy-button and MGS 4's end definitely got to me too, though I don't think I actually leaked.

For RDR the false ending (before the time skip) was indeed sad, but the post-skip ending left me angry & frustrated. After all the agent's arrogant superioroty I wanted to disarm him & walk away - just out of spite.

It's not really the sort of game to make you cry, but in Prototype when Dana is kidnapped and, even with all that power, you are completely unable to stop it. Similarly, in the second game when...

Also, Silent Hill 2: Angela. Holy shit, every time she's on screen I want to ask if she wants a hug (the asking thing is important), some hot chocolate and a blanket and a few more TVs to bash her dad's head in with.

ME3 - "His prayer was for you."

Oh holy crap. Manly tears shed.

I don't think I've ever right out cried while playing any game, none come to mind at the moment.

Closest I can think of is in Dungeon Siege 3. The game itself wasn't that good but there is a bit where you enter the crypt where the player character and all the companions from Dungeon Siege 1 where entombed. Dungeon Siege was my first major PC game ever (I grew up mainly on handhelds) and it made me fall in love with RPGs. I still have the disc and it still works (albeit a lot of scratches). Seeing the broken stone coffins of the characters really got to me, even though I probably haven't played it in 8 or more years, I still remembered all of the companions I used.

Although for some reason they decided to state the player character was a woman, rather than leaving it ambiguous, so that kind of ruined it for me as I used a male character.

A game hasn't really made me cry since the first Kingdom Hearts and that was like 10 years ago.

I have to say that ME3 got me really close to breaking that streak D:
There was leaving Earth, then Thane and Mordin the goodbyes. Oh God, and the ending. I'm not talking about the actual ending. The song that plays at the end (An End Once And For All) while you have flashes of Joker, Anderson, Liara...*sniff*

Then Journey, wow. The climb to the mountain and the struggle with a partner was amazing!

MGS3...The Boss's death...just...BOSS!!! ><

The Persona series has literally had me on the verge of tears. Especially 3. It doesn't get any better with each replay either.

I think I almost cried at the end of FFXIII too. I don't know why. Probably because I liked Fang.

Lost Odyssey - Kaim and Lirum's scene. I had to sit and compose myself for five minutes after that. Also most of the 1000 Years of Dreams stories came damn close.

Red Dead Redemption is also on the list, as is Mass Effect 3 for Mordin, and honourable mention goes to Grunt, but they were tears of sadness that turned to joy because I got the better result in that mission and I didn't see it coming.

mcsestretch:
ME3 - "His prayer was for you."

Oh holy crap. Manly tears shed.

Oh damn, I can't believe I forgot about Thane.

Saviordd1:
snip

Also this (Bastion spoilers. Now go play Bastion)

I actually think thats the only time. Manly!

Tazzy da Devil:
The end of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Both of them, actually. Anyone who thinks Pokemon can't make you cry hasn't played these games.

The first time a game made me genuinely tear up was the end of the first mystery dungeon.

That one through me for an effin' loop, let me tell you. I was totally not ready for that. To this day I'm amazed it was a 3rd party pokemon game that broke my emotional barrier.

The latest one I can think of was Mass Effect 3, but not actually the retail game itself...

Apparently, this original one was cut due to being too long (presumably to make room for that bullshit about the dues ex machina).

While I don't usually cry at game endings, some do get me that odd feeling in my heart.
Most which have already been mentioned but also Batman Arkham City.. Why?????.. Though the easter egg next to Harley's old dress cheered me up :D

The first time I actually teared up was in ME3. Mordin's death, Thane's death, and even though I made peace on Rannoch I still teared up a bit for Legion.

Gabanuka:

Saviordd1:
snip

Mind_Gravel:
The first time I actually teared up was in ME3. Mordin's death, Thane's death, and even though I made peace on Rannoch I still teared up a bit for Legion.

"Do you remember the question that caused the creators to attack us, Tali'zorah?

Does this unit have a soul."

Still sends chills down my spine every time I hear it.

Mass Effect claimed more than it's fair share of man tears. I also welled up occasionally during Final Fantasy XIII.

I wish more games moved me to the same extent that anime can. Even films rarely get me owing to how short the experiences are.

Anything that features heavy character building and moments of heart-breaking tragedy or poignant sacrifice are the sure-fire recipes for producing my man tears...

Innegativeion:
snip

Ahhhh. I made sure everyone was loyal so there where no unessisary death. EVERYONE MUST SURVIVE!

Heavy Rain: seeing Ethan's pain and anguish over losing not one but possibly both of his sons.

ME 3: Mordin's death. A man taking responsibility for his actions, the pandora's box that he unleashed, and making a heroic sacrifice to right his wrongs.

ME 3 again: Near the end of the game, before you charge at the Reaper beam thing, you can overhear a conversation that an Alliance doctor is having with a civilian woman, somewhere. The woman, without any medical training, is trying to save a soldier whose leg has been blown off. The Alliance doctor is trying his best to coach her through the situation via the radio, but the wounded soldier doesn't make it. Afterward, you can hear the woman saying that Reapers are coming closer, and she takes the dead soldier's gun and kills herself rather than be turned into a husk. Ugh! Heart-wrenching.

ME 3 yet again: Shepard's final Paragon speech.

Someone mentioned the Good ending to BioShock 1. Yeah, I second that. Very touching ending.

And yes, Thane's death in ME 3. Can't believe I forgot about that!

Persona 4: the events which transpired after the heaven dungeon...good lord did not see that coming...

Corpse party
Spoilers

Near the end when Seiko Shinohara keept sending her message from beyond the grave.

I've only ever come close to tears with two games: Red Dead and Mass Effect 3

John Marston's death, then his son becoming everything his father wanted to protect him from

Mordin's sacrifice, Grunt's near-death, thane's death (which reminded me of my grandmother's, so that's a double-whammy), EDI's willingness to defend her new-found humanity "to the death"
And, of course there's. . .
"I must go to them. I'm. . . sorry. there is no other way."
"Legion, the answer to your question. . . was yes"
"I know, Tali. Keelah se'lai."

And

"You did good son. I'm. . . proud. . . of . . . you."

The last one hurts even more if you hear the part they cut out, where shepard and anderson talk about what they would have done if things had been different, talking about having kids and expressing regret that they'll never get the chance.

Two games did it for me, more out of joy than sadness.

Chrono Cross was the first one. After everything I'd gone through in the game, everything all of the characters gave up, sacrificed, and all the people we lost, it was gratifying to conquer the final enemy, and see them all rewarded with peace and happiness for their efforts.

Final Fantasy VIII struck me even harder. It was my first exposure to the Final Fantasy franchise, at a time in game development and a personal age when seeing the ending was the only reason I slogged through these games. I played through it for three straight months, and seeing the resolution of everyone at the end, dancing around Balamb Garden, seeiing Laguna, Seifer, and the others find happiness and peace as well, and most of all, seeing Squall and Rinoa find love, all set to Faye Wong's "Eyes On Me", were more than enough to make me well up.

Also, sorry about spoilers, but these games are 13 years old. There's a statue of limitations on this kind of thing.

I'm usually quite stoic, yet these games have moved me to tears:
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 3
Their endings and credits sequences were accompanied by music which just perfected the mood.

Ugh don't make me do this again... especially since I'm in the midst of finishing the game again.

Red Dead Redemption.

'Nuff Said.

EDIT: Oh, and I also seem to be alone in this, as I have not yet met a person that agrees with me, but if you play the Human Noble Origin in Dragon Age: Origins, that whole sequence starting from the moment you start the game to the Battle of Ostagar is just heart-wrenching.

The Moment though that made me teary:

Seriously, Duncan is one of the most underrated characters of all time.

VMK:
*Spoilers ahead (probably)*
First of all, death of Mordin and Thane in ME3. I just loved those guys.
Next:Shadow of Colossus. Not that I cried, but I felt some sort of crying feeling every time I killed the Colossi.
But the most tear-bringing moment for me is ending of Final Fantasy X. Six times I've completed it, six times I cried.

deserteagleeye:
That one scene in Persona 4 and the ending. I wouldn't dare spoil it.

I played the game. Which scene are you talking about?

By play, did you mean you beat it? If so,

I gotta say that the animated series really caught that moment. It was damn good.

mrpropal:
The ending of Max Payne 2 struck a chord for me.

Didn't make me cry, but I really like the ending - especially the final line.

OT:

The ending to The Sands of Time (and just before the ending) is fairly unpleasant.

And there's a scene in Mafia 2, which was in Mafia, which I think is actually more effective the second time round.

Don't think I've ever full-on blubbed though.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Yeah, all the others got me too, but that was the worst. THAT MUSIC AND FORGETTING AND OHHH.

Gabanuka:

Saviordd1:
snip

Also this (Bastion spoilers. Now go play Bastion)

I actually think thats the only time. Manly!

You need to have not done his Loyalty quest in the second game.

By the way, heartily agree with your choice.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked