I liked ME3's ending

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'll try to keep this discussion spoiler free, but inevitably I'll wind up giving away a few factors, so read at your own risk.

I just beat Mass Effect 3, and I was expecting the worst ending of all time based off of what the general internet consensus was. At any rate I really liked it. The three simple choices were interesting and distinct (despite what others have said). I chose the green option. And I liked how it left many questions unanswered. All the same I felt like I was sending the galaxy down a path no one was expecting, and changing it forever. Clearly my decisions did matter because I wouldn't have been able to pick the best option otherwise.

I get the feeling that I'm in the minority, so what did you guys think?

Chunko:

Other people liked it, too. This topic has been done before. Prepare for the upcoming comments.

Well, I have no issue you with liking it. I mean that's your opinion. But the options weren't really that distinct from one another, well... except what they represent anyway. How they play out as movies and endings were too alike.

I didn't hate the ending. I did initially, then I stopped caring and realized it was just poorly made if anything. What they were going for, sacrifice and all that, I had no issue with. I didn't even really care about the logical strangeness. Lack of closure was the most irritating thing though.

i don't understand why you have to believe that you have to hate the ending, just because a lot of people were bitching about it. Don't feel that you have to a shame for liking the ending, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

I like really ambiguous endings that leave more answers to interpretation, rather than you just being told outright. I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, nor have any interest in them, but I thought my opinion was actually quite common so I was surprised at this extremely negative reaction.

Nice to see some positivity on the games ending for a change, though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, honestly. As someone who disliked the way it ended, I will say that I can see why you didn't have a problem with it. If you become interested in why others are so passionate about their disdain for the ending I'll just direct you here

Tasetful Nerd Rage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs&feature=g-vrec

Angry Joe top 10 reasons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&feature=relmfu

But if you liked it and don't wish to give it a second thought then just breeze on past the links.

Question to the OP out of curiosity, was this your first ME game or have you been playing since the first game?

BathorysGraveland:
I like really ambiguous endings that leave more answers to interpretation, rather than you just being told outright. I haven't played any of the Mass Effect games, nor have any interest in them, but I thought my opinion was actually quite common so I was surprised at this extremely negative reaction.

Ambiguity can be a good thing, the best endings provide both ambiguity but also provide colosudre..both are possible (portal 2)

being depressing/downright stupid is another thing altogether...I wont go into why ME3's endingf failed....but it did

BathorysGraveland:

I agree with this. I honestly do see all of the reasons that everyone is upset with the ending, but I felt like it was strangely fitting despite how... strange it was. I don't feel like explaining all my reasoning yet again but I just think it's nice that people are finally starting to calm down.

Vault101:
Ambiguity can be a good thing, the best endings provide both ambiguity but also provide colosudre..both are possible (portal 2)

being depressing/downright stupid is another thing altogether...I wont go into why ME3's endingf failed....but it did

Well, as for it being "downright stupid", I don't know as I haven't played the franchise. However, I fail to see how a depressing ending can be bad, by any stretch of the imagination. If an ending does get an emotion out of you, surely it is effective to some degree, regardless of whether story-wise it is good (characters being killed etc).

You're in the minority, but that's okay. You happen to take the side of journalists and smart people who respect a designer's choice to end their series how they want to and just enjoyed the journey to it.

I didn't hate it either. I thought it was a standard video game ending. It felt like HL1's ending to me. G-Man describes it best: "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you...if and when your time comes round again."

Trust me, it's better to be in the minority here. Any idiot who reacted so harshly and excused it just wants games to be products and nothing but. Seeya in the full digital market, full of no innovations or risks and just a ton of safe bets to only satisfy a player.

I have said this in far too many threads:

It is perfectly okay to like it, as long as you understand and accept what is wrong with it.
It's not a good ending, and as long as you understand that and can see why people view it that way it's okay to like it.
I mean come on, it was pretty damn epic. It just was full of holes, didn't make sense, was completely bull shit as opposed to what we were promised, and asked more questions than it answered.

I liked Clive Barker's Jericho, even though it was for the most part a piece of shit.

Vault101:

>Depressing = Downright stupid.

So how 'bout that Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus?

Actually, the latter and HL2 did ambiguity and depression quite well. AND YOU ALL LOVED THEM BOTH SO DAMN MUCH.

You're not alone. I loved the endings, unanswered questions and all. And, I've been playing all 3 games in the series multiple times since the beginning. It's just hater's tend to be more vocal group.

DigitalAtlas:

Vault101:

Actually, the latter and HL2 did ambiguity and depression quite well. AND YOU ALL LOVED THEM BOTH SO DAMN MUCH.

I think she meant "depressing/downright stupid" as in it's both (or one or the other), rather than "the two are the same thing".

I liked.... the "very bad" red ending. The one that vaporizes Earth. Except for there's still the Normandy scene, which I took the most issue with out of the ending.

DoPo:

DigitalAtlas:

Vault101:

I think she meant "depressing/downright stupid" as in it's both (or one or the other), rather than "the two are the same thing".

Possibly. The way it was written implied you couldn't have one without the other.

Anyway, I'm currently watching the Angry Joe episode about "10 reason why..."

Annnnd, the only thing so far I find any bit stupid is the gltich where someone you had in battle ends up on the Normandy. There is no beaming up in the Mass Effect world. But it's just clearly a glitch.

Everything else in this episode just seems to not be thinking far enough into the future.

EDIT: My favorite part is when he says "....bittersweet view of all we still had." They did that. In the Normandy scene. They have life and a new planet. Species will die, yes, but it all ensures the galaxy can start over.

Edit again: "Did this story not deserve a happy ending?"

Is this the type of spokesman whoever linked this video wants for your arguments? Because, um..... The stupid.... Good god the stupid. Next you'll ask for a way to have a happy ending in HL1....

Edit once more: Ya know, the entirety of ME3 is an ending guys. So that closure to the side-quests and relations to people? You get it. Throughout the game, you can see what would've happened if it weren't for the Reapers. WHICH IS THE DAMN POINT. Shepard ISN'T just one human being with special causes. No, there can and will be others like him. Translation: Now that the Reapers are gone, these events can repeat and prove Catalyst wrong. God, ME fans need to leave that series because it really is too good for them.

Also, there's a loading screen that confirms more games within the Mass Effect universe. Demanding DLC instead of being patient and seeing what happens without Shepard and what each explosion causes, is something to maybe have considered.

Why are ypou telling us this?

No one asked. NO ONE CARES.

Stop making these god awful threads.

DigitalAtlas:
Annnnd, the only thing so far I find any bit stupid is the gltich where someone you had in battle ends up on the Normandy. There is no beaming up in the Mass Effect world. But it's just clearly a glitch.

Back in my day, we called those "plot holes". Something happens and it's not consistent with the events surrounding it.

But I didn't mind the ending. Could have been better, could have been worse. It's basically a significant portion of video game endings. It played out according to my expectations. It's either stupid or really smart with stupid bits thrown in but I accept it anyway.

DoPo:

DigitalAtlas:

Back in my day, we called those "plot holes". Something happens and it's not consistent with the events surrounding it.

But I didn't mind the ending. Could have been better, could have been worse. It's basically a significant portion of video game endings. It played out according to my expectations. It's either stupid or really smart with stupid bits thrown in but I accept it anyway.

Then we can be friends as I have said this in every ME3 related thread.

And I really think it was just a design over-sight, seeing as there's no way for BioWare to know who you're taking.

totally heterosexual:
Why are ypou telling us this?

No one asked. NO ONE CARES.

Stop making these god awful threads.

I do. You don't because you didn't like it.

I care because fans of this series have ensured games have been screwed over for quite some time now

Seriously, people owe BioWare a freakin' fitting grade school apology for their grade-school temper tantrum. Don't demand and get angry, be civil and actually civilly POINT OUT to them what you didn't like. If enough people did that, we'd still get the DLC you all want to buy so damn much and developers could know they can takes risks without having to free being named the worst company in history.

BathorysGraveland:

Vault101:

Well, as for it being "downright stupid", I don't know as I haven't played the franchise. However, I fail to see how a depressing ending can be bad, by any stretch of the imagination. If an ending does get an emotion out of you, surely it is effective to some degree, regardless of whether story-wise it is good (characters being killed etc).

depressingi isnt bad....BUT things dont NEED to be depressing

especially when somthign is depressing because you have no Idea whats going on, and your emotional attatchment comes back to bite you

Chunko:

I thought that it was poorly conceived, poorly executed, large parts of it were completely illogical and it was out of character with everything that had happened in the series up to that point. And I'm saying that as someone who actually likes unanswered questions and downbeat endings when they're done properly. This was not done properly.

DigitalAtlas:

Edit again: "Did this story not deserve a happy ending?"

Is this the type of spokesman whoever linked this video wants for your arguments? Because, um..... The stupid.... Good god the stupid. Next you'll ask for a way to have a happy ending in HL1....

Umm. How it that just stupid? I mean it's traditional for the hero to die in an epic like Mass Effect. But saying the hero has to do anything in a game like Mass Effect kind of well defeating of the purpose. Mass Effect is not like Half Life, it's not a train ride.

DigitalAtlas:
Then we can be friends as I have said this in every ME3 related thread.

"DigitalAtlas accepted your friendship request on MassEffectBook!" =D

DigitalAtlas:
And I really think it was just a design over-sight, seeing as there's no way for BioWare to know who you're taking.

Meh, they could have handled it better. Even though they don't know who you're taking, it's still possible to make a cutscene without plot holes. But considering the ending was most possibly rewritten at one of the last possible moments, the mistake is explainable but still not excusable.

Anyway, I think I'll step away from this thread before it gets too ugly in here. I understand the frustration with the ending, I don't like it being repeated over and over again, since I'm sure more people will take the chance to clarify their reasons for hating the ending.

DigitalAtlas:

Of all the things being kept track over the course of 3 games, not having people in your final party show up in the final cutscene is not that complicated. They made sure to have Isabella in DA2 remember if she had sex with the Warden during DA:O (which I'm not complaining about, I thought it was funny), they could handle that. Design oversight, maybe. Couldn't get it working right before deadlines, sure it happens. It's still a mistake though, and should be acknowledged as one.

Admittedly, that's a petty gripe to pull out, but it's also not something that really needs to be defended.

Why no, that wasn't my biggest sore spot with the ending or anything >.>

Eddie the head:

Umm. How it that just stupid? I mean it's traditional for the hero to die in an epic like Mass Effect. But saying the hero has to do anything in a game like Mass Effect kind of well defeating of the purpose. Mass Effect is not like Half Life, it's not a train ride.

It's stupid because the ENTIRE GALAXY was war torn, cut-off from one another, and just nearly went into pure extinction battling AI Gods. Rainbows and sunshine are to follow!

Also, Mass Effect kind of sort of.... is a train a ride, especially ME2.

DoPo:

"DigitalAtlas accepted your friendship request on MassEffectBook!" =D

Trust me, that's something that's hard to do on here, haha.

DoPo:

Meh, they could have handled it better. Even though they don't know who you're taking, it's still possible to make a cutscene without plot holes. But considering the ending was most possibly rewritten at one of the last possible moments, the mistake is explainable but still not excusable.

Anyway, I think I'll step away from this thread before it gets too ugly in here. I understand the frustration with the ending, I don't like it being repeated over and over again, since I'm sure more people will take the chance to clarify their reasons for hating the ending.

Quite possible. I think they just got stuck.

As for leaving, amen. After this post.

burningdragoon:

Of all the things being kept track over the course of 3 games, not having people in your final party show up in the final cutscene is not that complicated. They made sure to have Isabella in DA2 remember if she had sex with the Warden during DA:O (which I'm not complaining about, I thought it was funny), they could handle that. Design oversight, maybe. Couldn't get it working right before deadlines, sure it happens. It's still a mistake though, and should be acknowledged as one.

Admittedly, that's a petty gripe to pull out, but it's also not something that really needs to be defended.

Why no, that wasn't my biggest sore spot with the ending or anything >.>

I respect this post actually. No hostility. *applauds*

Now, see, here's the thing: It isn't something that needs defending.... Until the fans of the game use it as one of the reasons to file a complaint with Federal Trade Commission and angrily claim they're entitled to the creative rights of the game. In fact, if it was just brought up to BioWare civilly, they probably could've patched that in a week or so.

BathorysGraveland:

Vault101:

Considering they bring out a fucking ghost that uses a magical maguffin to fix everything yet also destroy everything kinda destroys all lines of logic since its the ONLY ending.

No matter what you say, its still a magical ghost child.

The REAL ending should have been when Shepard was hit by the fucking laser beam or when he bled out on the citadel. That has some sort of logic to it.

When you try to make science fiction based on loose rules of science, you don't use magic at the very end. That is considered bad writing. If you put that amount of thought into how element zero works, you should put the same amount of thought into the ending.

DigitalAtlas:
You're in the minority, but that's okay. You happen to take the side of journalists and smart people who respect a designer's choice to end their series how they want to and just enjoyed the journey to it.

I didn't hate it either. I thought it was a standard video game ending. It felt like HL1's ending to me. G-Man describes it best: "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you...if and when your time comes round again."

Trust me, it's better to be in the minority here. Any idiot who reacted so harshly and excused it just wants games to be products and nothing but. Seeya in the full digital market, full of no innovations or risks and just a ton of safe bets to only satisfy a player.

Pfft. No.

Saying the designer is exempt from a bad ending is like saying the writer of twilight is exempt from writing a bad story.

Nice way to generalize your opposition. What next? Calling everyone else Neo nazis? Real fucking original there.

Secondly, Mass Effect is not art. Mass Effect is a fan wank. It was NEVER art.

Want art? You really want art? Try the road. Try the original fallouts. Try Planescape: Torment. Try Arcanum.

Mass Effect was never art. The "art" in Mass Effect 3 was so contrived it was worse than the Graveyard, and that game is only 10 seconds long. Saying Mass Effect is art is like saying the Expendables is art, its not.

Stop saying all of gaming is art or all of gaming is a product. Its a false dichotomy. Just stop it. Its getting tiring.

im honestly stoked you liked it but yeah people who like t do seem to be in the minority. personally ive never had the ending to any trilogy desroy my interest in a franchise like ME3 did

I don't care about the ending anymore. I don't care about Mass Effect anymore. I'm so burnt out on all of it.

I'm glad you liked it, though, OP. You bring hope to an ever darkening world.

Oh, look at this precious little snowflake. He finds the ending good. Three cheers!

Seriously, though, the endings were not distinct, BioWare only explains before you choose that they're distinct. If you want some distinct endings, play Witcher 2, Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) or Heavy Rain, then come back and tell me how right I was. And the endings were so stupid on so many levels that it boggles the mind how anyone can miss the stupid parts.

Ultratwinkie:

BathorysGraveland:

Vault101:

Considering they bring out a fucking ghost that uses a magical maguffin to fix everything yet also destroy everything kinda destroys all lines of logic since its the ONLY ending.

No matter what you say, its still a magical ghost child.

The REAL ending should have been when Shepard was hit by the fucking laser beam or when he bled out on the citadel. That has some sort of logic to it.

When you try to make science fiction based on loose rules of science, you don't use magic at the very end. That is considered bad writing. If you put that amount of thought into how element zero works, you should put the same amount of thought into the ending.

DigitalAtlas:

Pfft. No.

Saying the designer is exempt from a bad ending is like saying the writer of twilight is exempt from writing a bad story.

Nice way to generalize your opposition. What next? Calling everyone else Neo nazis? Real fucking original there.

Secondly, Mass Effect is not art. Mass Effect is a fan wank. It was NEVER art.

Want art? You really want art? Try the road. Try the original fallouts. Try Planescape: Torment. Try Arcanum.

Mass Effect was never art. The "art" in Mass Effect 3 was so contrived it was worse than the Graveyard, and that game is only 10 seconds long. Saying Mass Effect is art is like saying the Expendables is art, its not.

Stop saying all of gaming is art or all of gaming is a product. Its a false dichotomy. Just stop it. Its getting tiring.

>Claiming I said ME is art
>Word art not in post.

You sir are confusing art with the right to be creative.

That's it, don't care anymore. Every thought you expressed in that post is wrong. That's that.

DigitalAtlas:

Eddie the head:

It's stupid because the ENTIRE GALAXY was war torn, cut-off from one another, and just nearly went into pure extinction battling AI Gods. Rainbows and sunshine are to follow!

Also, Mass Effect kind of sort of.... is a train a ride, especially ME2.

You see that's not a happy ending that's a perfect ending. Not the same thing, Infamous 2 had a happy ending but it was far form perfect. I will grant that it is on rails but you are at least the conductor so it's not just a ride

I didn't hate the Mass Effect 3 ending but it wasn't what I expected. I was hoping it would do what Dragon Age: Origins and tell us what happened afterwards. I am happy to see that is what they are doing in the free ending DLC.

Spoiler bit (warned); I thought it was a good ending, but it didn`t seem tie in with any choices made before hand and they destoryed the mass relays. That sucked.

ruthaford_jive:
Well, I have no issue you with liking it. I mean that's your opinion. But the options weren't really that distinct from one another, well... except what they represent anyway. How they play out as movies and endings were too alike.

I didn't hate the ending. I did initially, then I stopped caring and realized it was just poorly made if anything. What they were going for, sacrifice and all that, I had no issue with. I didn't even really care about the logical strangeness. Lack of closure was the most irritating thing though.

This. I can dig the slightly nonsensical logic, because it has always been hinted that the Reapers are merely the tip of the iceberg. I can dig the sacrifice, because I didn't really expect we'd get out of that unscathed.

What I didn't like was the lack of closure. And that will hopefully be resolved with the upcoming Ending DLC.

DigitalAtlas:

Seriously, people owe BioWare a freakin' fitting grade school apology for their grade-school temper tantrum. Don't demand and get angry, be civil and actually civilly POINT OUT to them what you didn't like. If enough people did that, we'd still get the DLC you all want to buy so damn much and developers could know they can takes risks without having to free being named the worst company in history.

Erm we have pointed out what we didn't like...

It's just to get anything done or get noticed by Bioware you have to SHOUT LOUDS BECAUSE NO ONE LISTENS.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked