7.5% (14)
7.5% (14)
Denmark
16.7% (31)
16.7% (31)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Let's play Medieval 2: Total War

Pages PREV 1 2

No offence but Total War games (any strategy games for that matter) are horrible games to let's play, assuming you're talking about the regulation video let's play format. There are long stretches of doing repetitive things on the strat map and battles against the AI are not fun to watch. Total War especially so since there is no discernible storyline. The fun and interesting part of these games is the RPG element, like watching characters become great generals or building a big city from nothing, not the battles or the strategy, since Total War is not particularly hard (there, I said it).

I strongly recommend you consider a picture book AAR dealio instead of a video since there you can write some creative filler instead of showing us the strat map 80% of the time. You know, like historical fiction. Dramatise and embellish the events, make up some family tensions or whatever. I love those.

edit: Ok nevermind, I see you're not recording the strat map, which is a good idea. I still contend you do a bit of creative writing though :P

BlackStar42:
Have you tried using the Stainless Steel mod?

Actuallly, I did hear how good it apparantly was, so I tried finding it, but after the third link I tried 404'd on me I gave up.

Saladfork:

BlackStar42:

Actuallly, I did hear how good it apparantly was, so I tried finding it, but after the third link I tried 404'd on me I gave up.

If it helps you any, this is where I got it. The torrent links seem to work fine. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417435

Saladfork:

I highly recommend persistence in tracking it down. Stainless Steel added hundreds of hours to the game for me, and really plays like Medieval 2.5. It's borderline essential. I can't even look at vanilla now.

BlackStar42:

Saladfork:

BlackStar42:

If it helps you any, this is where I got it. The torrent links seem to work fine. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417435

Oh, cool, thanks. I'll try that out when I finish this LP.

Part 2: In which embarassing losses are had

Here we are. In this part, we'll be expanding further into rebel territory, and getting our first chat with soe other factions.

So what do you guys think? Play it safe and continue taking the rebel towns? Or is it time to fight the Holy Roman Empire?

You have the wrong screenshot for "Another suitor for the princess". Since I haven't played the game, what exactly are the differences between a town and a castle, and how is each upgraded?

What, no expansion factions? Glorious expansion factions deserve a poll option.

Also, Holy Roman Empire or England.

Btw guys, kill the pope. He's plottin'.

Aidinthel:
You have the wrong screenshot for "Another suitor for the princess". Since I haven't played the game, what exactly are the differences between a town and a castle, and how is each upgraded?

Town generally makes more money, has more trade, etc. Castle is harder to take in sieges, depending on how well its upgraded. I think if you upgrade a castle all the way you can have like 3 different sections of the castle with massive walls separating them, with cannons in the towers and all that jazz.

I don't know how easy they are to defend, I just know they are a BITCH to take.

Stainless Steel 6.4 with BGY 5

Let's see how long you last as any faction!

Aidinthel:

A town generates a lot more income, but usually the only units you can train there are militia (though there are exceptions, like the Byzantine Varangian Guard), whereas a castle generates less income but you can train profesional soldiers there. Also, as Smash said, Castles have more defenses.

Both are upgraded by having their populations reach a certain point and then upgrading the city walls or the entire castle. The population you need to upgrade castles is lower than what you need for cities.

Also, thanks, screenshot's fixed now.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Aidinthel:

Town generally makes more money, has more trade, etc. Castle is harder to take in sieges, depending on how well its upgraded. I think if you upgrade a castle all the way you can have like 3 different sections of the castle with massive walls separating them, with cannons in the towers and all that jazz.

I don't know how easy they are to defend, I just know they are a BITCH to take.

The only way to confidently attack a Citadel (Max level Castle) is to have a strong spy open the gates, and at least two units of culverin heavy cannons to smash the walls and towers. It is far easier to smash through a wall with a cannon than it is to navigate a battering ram or ladder set through the winding streets.

Soviet Heavy:
The only way to confidently attack a Citadel (Max level Castle) is to have a strong spy open the gates, and at least two units of culverin heavy cannons to smash the walls and towers. It is far easier to smash through a wall with a cannon than it is to navigate a battering ram or ladder set through the winding streets.

Yes and no. The AI is a bit of a retard about defending, really (as it is about much of everything), and can easily be baited into spreading itself too thin. Make enough ladders and rams, and put small forces on two flanks and then a huge breach force at the weakest point. They'll over commit to the small forces, giving you an easier time creating your breach. By the time they recover and try to rally, you can usually cut off their retreat to the inner citadel, leaving you with only a meager garrison to contend with. You can spend all day rolling those rams around.

BloatedGuppy:

Soviet Heavy:

Yes and no. The AI is a bit of a retard about defending, really (as it is about much of everything), and can easily be baited into spreading itself too thin. Make enough ladders and rams, and put small forces on two flanks and then a huge breach force at the weakest point. They'll over commit to the small forces, giving you an easier time creating your breach. By the time they recover and try to rally, you can usually cut off their retreat to the inner citadel, leaving you with only a meager garrison to contend with. You can spend all day rolling those rams around.

Hmm, I haven't tried that. I wonder how well it would work. This LP made me reinstall the game. I'll try baiting england with some rabble and then flattening their main gate.

Soviet Heavy:
Hmm, I haven't tried that. I wonder how well it would work. This LP made me reinstall the game. I'll try baiting england with some rabble and then flattening their main gate.

Make sure to get Stainless Steel first! Medieval without Stainless Steel is like apple pie without ice cream.

Or Apples.

BloatedGuppy:

Soviet Heavy:

Make sure to get Stainless Steel first! Medieval without Stainless Steel is like apple pie without ice cream.

Or Apples.

Oh I know. The big problem I have with Stainless Steel however is that it takes FOREVER to finish a turn. Even when you turn off the ai movement so you don't have to watch every single action, it takes upwards of two minutes for every single faction. That just drives me nuts. I might not delve into the minutiae of the economic side as much as the tactical, so I don't really focus on their movements as much as when I react to them. So waiting for minutes on end bugs me to no end.

The SA forums had a little method of making Total War LP's more playable; Forming 'Political Parties' in the thread so people have a say on What you should do next (Example: Labour party: Voting for 'Port Building & War with France act). It's a little tricky to pull off, but would Give your LP a bit more Interation with people.

One to test i suppose.

Voted For Sicily (Italian States). Because we can't let them English Rule the waves *Normans UNITE!*

just to deviate from the topic: i liked R:TW more... to each his own, i guess...

Soviet Heavy:
Oh I know. The big problem I have with Stainless Steel however is that it takes FOREVER to finish a turn. Even when you turn off the ai movement so you don't have to watch every single action, it takes upwards of two minutes for every single faction. That just drives me nuts. I might not delve into the minutiae of the economic side as much as the tactical, so I don't really focus on their movements as much as when I react to them. So waiting for minutes on end bugs me to no end.

I think newer versions have improved that issue slightly.

Or maybe I upgraded my PC, I can't say for sure.

Saladfork:
*poke*

So...it's been a few days. You planning to continue or what?

Oh god Medieval 2?

Thats the only total war game I cannot bring myself to go back and play.

I think some of the most fun you can have as Denmark is pretending to go back to the Norse gods. Since you're not Byzantine (and therefore the most enlightened people of the time), I'd recommend demolishing all of your churches! For Odin! The Pope can go suck it anyways.

England because it seems like the easiest one.

I prefer Denmark.

England is very stable, with broken longbowmen and a good balance of kngihts and heavy foot to back them up.

BUT. Denmark has Vikings. While their position isn't nearly as stable as the English, they have plenty of room for expansion and a good homeland for defense. With a slight naval advantage early on (longboats), it's also possible to expand into Eastern Europe and eat up that whole half of the board. I don't like to go too far though, I prefer a healthy distance between me and the Golden Horde...

Ah.

I need to go play again. MTW 2 is still my favorite TW game, and may very well be my favorite strategy game of all time.

Aidinthel:

Saladfork:
*poke*

So...it's been a few days. You planning to continue or what?

Yes I am. Eventually. At some point. Maybe tomorrow. Possibly.

...I'm not a very scheduled person.

BloatedGuppy:

I highly recommend the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval 2. It's leaps and bounds better than vanilla.

THANK YOU! Seriously, your post led me to Stainless Steel a few days ago. It feels like I've got a new total war game better than any other.

Please keep spreading the word!

Part 3: In which a confusing betrayal occurs

Now we have a new choice to make. Do we join the crusade and make war with the Egyptians? Or do we ignore the pope and instead attack the Holy Roman Empire right now?

Won't attacking the HRE destroy all the goodwill you've been building up with the Pope? Or does the Pope hate HRE? I don't remember. I think you should take out Antioch though, because Crusades are fun!

Huh. Maybe you should have picked that first guy, after all. At least he was loyal...

dyre:
Won't attacking the HRE destroy all the goodwill you've been building up with the Pope? Or does the Pope hate HRE? I don't remember. I think you should take out Antioch though, because Crusades are fun!

I'm pretty sure the Pope isn't very fond of the HRE, but I also would like to see a crusade. Decisions in Let's Plays should be made primarily for the amusement of the audience rather than practicality, IMO.

A good start. I'm about two thirds through an England campaign I started because of this thread. Scotland decided to emigrate to Germany, and fucking Milan has been spamming those goddamn genoese crossbowmen to no end. Poland has been flattened along with france and denmark, and I'm gearing up to take spain and kill scotland once and for all.

I shall be very interested in this LP, especially considering I got Medieval 2 a few days ago myself.

Nice way to deal with the traitor, by the way.

Well, IF you do go on a crusade, don't even bother trying to hold those towns, but just sack the shit out of their settlements for lots of money and piss off again before the Mongols arrive. Trying to actually hold provinces in the orient just isn't worth it if you're playing as a northern nation.

But really, you should probably just focus on Europe. Crusades can be such a bitch.

Fat_Hippo:
Well, IF you do go on a crusade, don't even bother trying to hold those towns, but just sack the shit out of their settlements for lots of money and piss off again before the Mongols arrive. Trying to actually hold provinces in the orient just isn't worth it if you're playing as a northern nation.

But really, you should probably just focus on Europe. Crusades can be such a bitch.

Unless it's aimed at Cagliari or Tunis. Then jump on that Crusade as soon as possible. It is always good to have a Fortress in the Mediterranean, giving you shipping lanes as well as a base from which to build your attack force to conquer Jerusalem and achieve your campaign goals.

Soviet Heavy:

Fat_Hippo:

Unless it's aimed at Cagliari or Tunis. Then jump on that Crusade as soon as possible. It is always good to have a Fortress in the Mediterranean, giving you shipping lanes as well as a base from which to build your attack force to conquer Jerusalem and achieve your campaign goals.

True, true. As long as you don't have to mess with the golden horde, it's fine. God, I hate those Mongols! I can't even remember how many times they've screwed me over. Tunis and Cagiliari should be fine, though in my experience, crusades are almost always aimed at the holy land itself. I think you can manipulate the pope into calling a crusade on any non-Christian province if he likes you, though I'm not sure anymore.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked