Critically Panned Games You Will Defend to the Death

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The 2009 release of Bionic Commando.
God how I loved that game, despite it being recieved horribly by just about the entire rest of humanity.

The plot was batshit nutjobs, but the gameplay was brilliant fun.

EDIT:
Upon reflection, this game got a 71 on Metacritic (PS3), so that's not quite 'Panned'.
Here's a game that achieved 48%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grudge_Warriors

I would defend this with everything.

God Hand

Slammed by critics, but one of my Top 25 (so sue me I've played a LOT of) PS2 games.

FEAR 3. I actually really liked that game. Gun physics go a long way for me.

Resonance of Fate was outright mixed, some calling it awesome, some like G4 calling it utter trash, and the JRPG community reception seems to reflect that, but I think it's probably the best JRPG this gen. Yes, I really dig Xenoblade Chronicles as well, but whereas that game was simply a refreshment course on what a good JRPG played (and sounded lie, hoo boy:)

RoF is truly original in damned near every conceivable way. It's amazing. It's also harder than most JRPGs, which is refreshing, and makes the victories even more satisfying. And it still also has an awesome soundtrack to boot, with some really unique town music.

MetalDooley:
Alpha Protocol - yeah it had it's flaws but it's still one of my favourite games this gen.Such a shame we'll probably never see a sequel

Harumph. One of the best damn games I've played. How does Yahtzee's thing go "...the people willing to overlook a few gameplay issues for originality and story..."

Far cry 2's story mode might have been a bit inferior, but it has one of the best map editors in the history of the genre. It's more open ended than halo 3's forge mode, and I think if they expand on that, their multiplayer and even the single player map testing could be AMAZING. Plus, I can place a bunch of trees, burn them, go back to edit mode, select test map again, and then burn them down again. Burning stuff is fun.

Tanis:

God Hand

Slammed by critics, but one of my Top 25 (so sue me I've played a LOT of) PS2 games.

This. Good fucking god THIS.

I don't care what anyone says, God Hand is amazing. One of the best games from the last generation.

Bulletstorm. I know it wasn't 'panned' but it met a lot of crticisim and didn't sell well. Still I find it to be one of my favorite shooters, there's a lot of fun to be had shooting at dudes and kicking them into cacti so I hold onto it and play it from time to time.

Good to see so much Alpha Protocol Love here.
So much.

Cruel, Merciless Gods, I've played through AP at least half a dozen times and I STILL adore it.

Quest 64 was an awesome game. Okay, no it wasn't, but whatever. Fuck your rules. I've probably finished it more times than anyone on the planet.

EDIT: And that's not in a good way.

nikki191:
two worlds.. it had commically bad voice acting but the world was damn stable and i loved it just the same

That game had great ideas. I loved the world and the ideas. Two Worlds 2 was also really good.

The game I want to defend though, is Too Human. I love that game. Camera's not the best, the the world and characters are amazing. I love the nice, fluid combat, and the Diablo style looting. It was a great game, and I loved it.

God, it seems like 90% of my posts refer to this game, but...

Operation Darkness. Just an awful, awful game, and rightly panned by 'critics'...yet somehow it milked 200+ hours out of me, and I would gladly do it all over again.

i do not kmow why but i liked the wanted game it was bad but to me it was a so bad it was good thing a lot like the film

Irridium:

Tanis:

God Hand

This. Good fucking god THIS.

I don't care what anyone says, God Hand is amazing. One of the best games from the last generation.

hey you can not go bad with a game that says on the back of the case that you can punch people in the face

The Wykydtron:
Mirror's Edge. Damn that game is fun. Dunno why people think you can't platform in first person, do you need to stare down at your feet if you wanna jump somewhere irl?

I never had many problems in that respect. There were some design quirks that I couldn't figure out at first, but the only big problem for me in that game is the sections that are indoors and have you casually walking around rather than the balls-out running and panicking in the first mission.

Jaws for the PS2. It's so bad it's good, but It's like a GTA: shark edition. Also, It's ridiculous. Jaws has to blow up an oil refinery in the game.

Mashed: Drive to survive. Critically slaughtered in the US, but the rest of the world saw it for the multiplayer darling that it was. Best damn couch multiplayer game in years

Terminate421:
Although the combat wasn't stellar this game is a masterpiece in my eyes:

I'm not lying to you when I say this:

There are interesting characters
The Writing is on level with Mass Effect
The Darkness level, for a pokemon game, is perfect
Pokemon actually die

I loved those games!

Triforceformer:
...Duke Nukem Forever.

Seconded, people seem to hate DNF despite it being everything that a real fan of Duke Nukem would expect a Duke Nukem game to be. In fact, I'm willing to say that Duke Nukem Forever is one of the best games in the series.

Oh, and to the death? NO!

In alphabetical order?

Alpha Protocol
Bayonetta
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII

There are probably more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Going in order: I'm glad to see all the love for Alpha Protocol which I feel was a highly underrated game that gave lots of options if you were awake enough to see them. I have never really played a game with that much raw choice laced with actual in game effects of even minor choices, to the point of NPC's remembering your actions. Bayonetta got a lot of flak for being 'Overly Sex-driven' but I always find it useful to point out that this is entirely Hideki Kamiya's style, Dante in the Devil May Cry games was larger-than-life machismo on steroids and so much man that even the devil couldn't take him down. Essentially he was the 'Male Video Game Archetype', not AN archetype, but THE archetype for male protagonists. Bayonetta is just the other side of the gender coin, she's the Female Video Game Archetype, I know it's essentially semantics but I appreciate the style and flair that the game had while not-so-subtly lampooning the overused archetypes of the games industry all without sacrificing an actual story for the sake of satire. The laundry list of FF's up there I defend because regardless of how hinky the story or the characters or the combat got they were still fun to play. I honestly don't like FFVII or VIII because their stories were nearly impenetrable and the characters were actually kind of bland. I'm not saying all three of those games were gems through and through by any means, all games have their weak-points like X-2's fanservice costumes or XIII's abominably long intro time. The point is though that all of the characters in those games feature actual growth in their character while Cloud turns out to have been out of his gourd insane from the trauma of Zack's death and other factors, and Squall basically just cranks his natural dickishness down from 11 to a meagre 8. On the flipside in XIII the character Hope is initially introduced as a whining bag of irritation who it turns out is struggling with an intense hatred for another character in your party who was responsible for his mothers death and trying to deal with both his feelings of rage conflicting with his passive and somewhat cowardly nature eventually growing as a character and become much more defined.

So there it is, a vomitous wall of text. Enjoy?

Phlakes:
Quest 64 was an awesome game. Okay, no it wasn't, but whatever. Fuck your rules. I've probably finished it more times than anyone on the planet.

EDIT: And that's not in a good way.

HOLY S**T SOMEONE ELSE ACTUALLY PLAYED THAT GAME!?

I loved the hell out of that game, it was one of my first N64 games and I still remember sitting in front of the TV as a kid and trying to beat it.

Dragon Age 2. Yeah, the ninjas and repetitive caves were kinda bad. Everything else was fantastic and overall better than the first one.
*whistles a hymn with grim determination while the Escapist mob comes to burn me as a witch*

Final Fight: Streetwise. Not merely panned, but critically reviled.

Unfortunately for game journalism as a whole, reading all the negative reviews of it (after having played it several times) reveals just how many reviewers either didn't actually play it, weren't paying attention, or were just plain stupid.

One reviewer, for example, complained about being frustrated after spending half an hour on a light puzzle. Said "light puzzles" are basically Lights Out on a 3x3 grid - every one in the game can be solved in three moves (and in fact the game imposes a 3-move limit), and if you fail three times (which takes only a minute or two) the game TELLS YOU the first move you should make. If you're stuck on a puzzle like this for over half an hour, the only possible reason is because you are an idiot.

Another reviewer complained that even though there was a light attack combo and a heavy attack combo, there were no combos that used both light and heavy attacks, which is provably wrong - as can be shown by simply trying all the different patterns of light and heavy and noting that each one does a different combo. This can even be done at the very start of the game, since all the basic combos (i.e. involving only the light attack and heavy attack buttons) are available from the very beginning.

The gameplay is fun, the story is enjoyably stupid, and I love this game.

Paladin2905:

MetalDooley:
Alpha Protocol - yeah it had it's flaws but it's still one of my favourite games this gen.Such a shame we'll probably never see a sequel

Harumph. One of the best damn games I've played. How does Yahtzee's thing go "...the people willing to overlook a few gameplay issues for originality and story..."

My copy is still in the mail (watching a Let's Play sold me on it), but I suspect that Alpha Protocol will be one of those games for me, as well.

Lolth17:
Dragon Age 2. Yeah, the ninjas and repetitive caves were kinda bad. Everything else was fantastic and overall better than the first one.
*whistles a hymn with grim determination while the Escapist mob comes to burn me as a witch*

come we can hide in my bunker together!
seriously dragon age 2 was a great game but people nicpicked it to death.

Two worlds 1 and 2..i played through it and enjoyed the two games very much.

Why defend a game from idiots who aren't able to to read past someone elses words.

FilipJPhry:
Beast Wars for the PS1. That's right, I'm going there! My favorite thing about that game was being able to play as the Predicons and not just the good guys, the Maximals.

Hold on a second. THEY MADE A BEAST WARS GAME!?!? WHY DON'T I HAVE THIS!? I NEED TO HAVE THIS!

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Beast Wars was basically, no, it WAS my childhood.

Anyway, I'd defend KoTOR 2 to the death. Not sure if it counts, but it does get a bad Rep for being unfinished. And yeah, that sucks. But the below average ending didn't mess up the storyline for the game or the series, so it wasn't too bad. I actually think that if they just added a ten second clip at the end showing your character walking alone on some deserted planet, "following Revan's path", that the ending would've jumped up to "pretty damn good".

I will defend Two Worlds to death. Yes it had horrible voice acting, balance issues, spelling errors, and glitches up the wazoo but I got a great 2 play-throughs out of it.
Apparently Mirror's Edge got panned? I shall defend that too!

Wayneguard:
Mirror's Edge and Tenchu games. Mirror's Edge was both unique AND very playable. I don't get what all the fuss was about. Tenchu is......... well you're a fucking ninja and you actually have to be stealthy. I dare you to do better.

Mirror's Edge is my choice as well, and a lot of people hated it because it was disorienting. You know how gamer's reaction times are apparently like those of a fighter pilots? Well APPARENTLY there are an exception to the rule made up by the older game reviewer types that projectile vomit if put into a fast paced first person perspective......who knew.

Was it that hard really? I found the movement to be fluid and fun, and not at all disorienting. Seriously how old are we? Unless your really really prone to motion sickness I can understand, but cmon gamers, we have better reaction times than this.

Also for SOME reason people wanted it to be open world, like that makes it better somehow. To be honest, linearity did that game justice because it gave it a sense of urgency when running to and from your location. Also people died a lot because they're bad at the game, so that apparently made it a bad game.

The "negative" aspects of the game look more like people who are bad at games complaining that they're bad at games.

I dont know someone said the Harry Potter games.

Now I won one of these in a EA giveaway and believe me if this game had been released on the PC as a title solely, it would have died a quick and very very horrible death.

I mean I cant say anything good about it.

Graphics: Atrocious

Gameplay : see above

Controls: see above

Never Never Never again

but then 40 mins of play does not make a game but hey thats all i can do in Assassins Creed 2 will not allow me to reconfigure the controls to a left handed person.

But then I should say the same about Dead Space 1 and 2 it has the same fookin problem.

May be good I will never know, even with ini file changes which cause conflicts

I'm going to join the increasingly not-so-fringe-looking club of defending Dragon Age 2.

People say the story doesn't go anywhere, but considering the stock alternative in every fantasy RPG ever is "there is evil stuff and you are the only one who can stop them", I'll take it. The use of recurring minor characters and interweaving plot threads is something no modern RPG has really done.

The levelling system is hugely better than Origins. There are problems with the way it is implemented, and doesn't allow for some of the more unusual concepts which you could build in Origins (like a heavily armoured battlemage or a dual-wielding warrior) but it's extremely tight. A lot of the choice in origins was false choice, as there was generally a very clear "best" way to play.

The only thing I think is genuinely worse is the combat, which unfortunately is a large chunk of the game. But hey, it's not horrible. Plus I appreciate how it tried to limit the effectiveness of potions and healing, thus ever so slightly purging the excessive influence Blizzard entertainment has over modern RPGs.

Oh, and I suppose I can see how some people didn't like the recycled environments, but then I'm not sure how much more annoying and/or visually boring it was than simply using the same 3 or 4 tilesets for every dungeon or building and just making random room layouts out of them.

piinyouri:
Too Human
Also the first Two Worlds

TO
THE
DEATH

Not trolling or trying to start a fight but. Why I'm curious.

Oh and I don't care but I sorta liked black ops Woods was just too cool and then they played sympathy for the devil so yeah it may have sucked and the multiplayer may have gotten on my nerves to the point where I wanted to show certain players what a shotgun can do from an inch away but you know the ending was just pure awsomeness so I can forgive it for the minor issues.

I'll stand behind Alpha Protocol and Mirror's Edge as well. AP had the same sort of mission design as Mass Effect, and for that (and the dialogue choices and story influences), I will always look at it favorably. Mirror's Edge has a FANTASTIC score, seriously outstanding. Still Alive (not the song from Portal) by Lisa Mickovsky is incredible. Mirror's Edge also managed to make first-person platforming WORK, which is more than I can say for a lot of 3rd person games.

Ultimately, though, my favorite panned game is...

Dark Void

With a 50%-60% metacritic rating, it's not exactly a winner. And true, the story was a bit flimsy, but it worked. The game was too short, but that's just because I wanted MORE. The mechanics are solid, the quick time events actually tolerable, and it had incredibly fun boss and mini-boss battles. Imagine the quick-time grab-and-stab finishers of Shadow of the Collosus, but instead of a horse you have a jetpack that fires rockets.

The game lets you fly around in a jetpack shooting a minigun strapped to your back, eventually upgraded to a ROCKET LAUNCHER, had a nice variety of different weapons to choose from, and did I mention the JETPACK? Seriously, try the game out. I've played the sections with the jetpack easily 10 times over each. It's an incredibly fun experience, and if you can find it for 15$ or less, pick it up. You won't regret it.

evilthecat:
I'm going to join the increasingly not-so-fringe-looking club of defending Dragon Age 2.

People say the story doesn't go anywhere, but considering the stock alternative in every fantasy RPG ever is "there is evil stuff and you are the only one who can stop them", I'll take it. The use of recurring minor characters and interweaving plot threads is something no modern RPG has really done.

The levelling system is hugely better than Origins. There are problems with the way it is implemented, and doesn't allow for some of the more unusual concepts which you could build in Origins (like a heavily armoured battlemage or a dual-wielding warrior) but it's extremely tight. A lot of the choice in origins was false choice, as there was generally a very clear "best" way to play.

The only thing I think is genuinely worse is the combat, which unfortunately is a large chunk of the game. But hey, it's not horrible. Plus I appreciate how it tried to limit the effectiveness of potions and healing, thus ever so slightly purging the excessive influence Blizzard entertainment has over modern RPGs.

Oh, and I suppose I can see how some people didn't like the recycled environments, but then I'm not sure how much more annoying and/or visually boring it was than simply using the same 3 or 4 tilesets for every dungeon or building and just making random room layouts out of them.

Meh. I would say the worst part of Dragon Age 2 was that Hawke wasn't REALLY that important a figure in history. He/She just happened to be close-by when all of this happened.

Grand total of Hawke's achievements: Saved Flemeth (not really a good idea, honestly), made some money from looting dead people underground, let a piece of solid Lyrium loose on the world, killed a Qunari warlord in (mostly) single combat (okay, that was pretty awesome), and made the judgement call that determined whether the lyrium-corrupted Templars or blood-magic-corrupted Mages would win a battle.

Doesn't really seem that heroic to me, especially since Hawke was supposed to be the most important figure in the history of the Dragon Age world.

Here's the thing, though: I didn't hate the game. It has, by far, my favorite banter in any RPG I've ever played. I played through that game twice just to hear Varric talk about his racy novels, and to hear Merril's adorable and naive comments (and sexy Welsh accent too).

I've no issue with defending 'Two Worlds', I loved that game. The soundtrack was great, particularly the opening/menu music. I enjoyed how "arrogant" the lead character was, I found it quite amusing. I liked the game in general, especially the art style and the ability/skill system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked