Should I try Half-Life?
Try it. It's not too late.
93.7% (134)
93.7% (134)
Don't try it. It's too late.
6.3% (9)
6.3% (9)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is it too late to jump on the Half-Life Train?

Pages PREV 1 2

The graphics haven't aged well, but everything else has. My suggestion: if you're already curious, I'd definitely recommend trying it, it's hardly gonna bite ya if ya don't like it...

Apreciate whats there but you will suffer from withdrawl after episode 2 and with no episode 3 in sight I dont know if you want to go through that.
I would definatly go for it though its an excellent series one of my favourites.

Jaeke:
We talking about the same Metroid Prime? The Gamecube 2003 one?

Yup, but go back fifteen years and I was playing Metroid in 2D, you can still buy new consoles that will play Prime, ergo it's still the new one!*

*Other M? We don't talk about Other M

bafrali:

Aeonknight:
Having just recently replayed all of HL1 and 2, I've gotta say...

It definately has some noteworthy problems with it, but overall it's still worth playing.

HL1: glitches. they're in there. trolley's hitting invisible walls, levers not raising water levels properly, etc. Not nearly as well refined as everyone says, but that's what console cheats are for I suppose.

HL2: vehicles. Especially in episode 1. The vehicle sections tend to drag on and on and on... it got old.

Alot of that is just nitpicking though. It's still worth a play.

There were vehicle sections in episode one? Where did you buy your version?

Oh and yeah Games hold up pretty well and are definitely worth playing

Alright fine, got Half life 2 and half life 2 ep 1 mixed up. Was going to try and do it without spoilers, but fuck it. Every vehicle section dragged on and on throughout the entirity of half life 2. the boats, the buggy, etc.

Half-life 1 and 2 are both pretty much mandatory lessons in FPS history. They played major roles in the evolution of how FPS games deliver narrative to the player. However, many aspects of both games may seem standard and generic today, though they were revolutionary when they were released.

Aeonknight:

bafrali:

Aeonknight:
Having just recently replayed all of HL1 and 2, I've gotta say...

It definately has some noteworthy problems with it, but overall it's still worth playing.

HL1: glitches. they're in there. trolley's hitting invisible walls, levers not raising water levels properly, etc. Not nearly as well refined as everyone says, but that's what console cheats are for I suppose.

HL2: vehicles. Especially in episode 1. The vehicle sections tend to drag on and on and on... it got old.

Alot of that is just nitpicking though. It's still worth a play.

There were vehicle sections in episode one? Where did you buy your version?

Oh and yeah Games hold up pretty well and are definitely worth playing

Alright fine, got Half life 2 and half life 2 ep 1 mixed up. Was going to try and do it without spoilers, but fuck it. Every vehicle section dragged on and on throughout the entirity of half life 2. the boats, the buggy, etc.

I would hardly call vehicles spoilers as they have little to no impact on plot. But it is thought that counts i guess

fix-the-spade:

Jaeke:
We talking about the same Metroid Prime? The Gamecube 2003 one?

Yup, but go back fifteen years and I was playing Metroid in 2D, you can still buy new consoles that will play Prime, ergo it's still the new one!*

*Other M? We don't talk about Other M

damn right we don't

I love the 2D metroids. Fusion>Super Metroid>All.

Never got into the other Metroid Primes though, I only liked the first one.

The original, Maybe. Half Life 2 onwards, has an asthetic that has aged well to me persoanlly.

Jaeke:
Some of my most memorable and nostalgiac experiences in my gaming as a young child have been in the FPS genre, Halo, 007, Metroid Prime, and even once long ago I tried out Half Life but I got bored just when you got out of the sewers in the first level.

It's been YEARS now since I tried Half-Life and after years and years of always having a view of Half-Life as the Ark of the Covenant for a lot of gamers (though I've never been a big fan of Valve or their products) my interest has sparked again but I'm torn a bit because, well its been a decade since Half-Life and about 5 years since the latest game.

But to the players of Half-Life, is it too late? is it good at all? can I still find enjoyment in these games?

captcha: art of god

I hope so...

Are you crazy? Why would it be too late? Play the bloody games.

Yosharian:

Jaeke:
Some of my most memorable and nostalgiac experiences in my gaming as a young child have been in the FPS genre, Halo, 007, Metroid Prime, and even once long ago I tried out Half Life but I got bored just when you got out of the sewers in the first level.

It's been YEARS now since I tried Half-Life and after years and years of always having a view of Half-Life as the Ark of the Covenant for a lot of gamers (though I've never been a big fan of Valve or their products) my interest has sparked again but I'm torn a bit because, well its been a decade since Half-Life and about 5 years since the latest game.

But to the players of Half-Life, is it too late? is it good at all? can I still find enjoyment in these games?

I hope so...

As in too late to appreciate their consideration into the game industry because of their late age, like can I still find enjoyment in it that can't be sated by more recent games.

Jaeke:

Yosharian:

Jaeke:

I hope so...

As in too late to appreciate their consideration into the game industry because of their late age, like can I still find enjoyment in it that can't be sated by more recent games.

Dude, these games still haven't been topped. HL1's graphics are a little dated but the gameplay is still there man. Play it asap.

edit: of course there is the fan-made Half-Life 1 that's being done in source to consider, you could wait til that comes out. Probably next year.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked