Katawa Shoujo - Hanako's Story (COMPLETED 18/08/2014)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Trivun:
A shorter chapter than usual, but also the first time I have any lengthy look at Hanako without Hisao's presence! Enjoy...

Nice work once more! Still quite believable from all aspects.
I do have a question for you though, do you plan to stop writing this fan-fiction when you reach the end of the story arc? Or do you think you will continue a little past it? (Only asking since Hanako's arc is probably the shortest time wise. For instance they don't get to graduation or the Tanaban [I think that was the spelling... <_< ] festival, which was reached in other arcs)

Trivun:

EDIT: It seems that since the story is so long, it's breaking the poor Escapist Hamsters every time I try to add the latest (read: fourth) chapter to this opening post. Therefore, to make it easier for them, I'll be adding new chapters in later posts instead, and posting the links here for easy access, using the OP as a 'hub' of sorts. How's that for using my old noggin? xD

I completely forgot about this until a few weeks ago, and then I couldn't remember where the hell I'd seen it!

Better re-read it.

NoOne852:

Trivun:
A shorter chapter than usual, but also the first time I have any lengthy look at Hanako without Hisao's presence! Enjoy...

Nice work once more! Still quite believable from all aspects.
I do have a question for you though, do you plan to stop writing this fan-fiction when you reach the end of the story arc? Or do you think you will continue a little past it? (Only asking since Hanako's arc is probably the shortest time wise. For instance they don't get to graduation or the Tanabata [I think that was the spelling... <_< ] festival, which was reached in other arcs)

To be honest, I'm not cetain. I probably will stop, since the purpose of this was more to show events from a different point of view rather than write a full on brand new story. I will be writing altenate epilogues afterwards showing the other endings too, though, so everything will be covered, but I did plan on writing other storys from the POV of the other girls afterwards, and they'll also take a long time if each story arc is pretty much novel length, so I guess we'll see at the end of the day...

Love it, I registered just to say this. MOAR!!!

Without further ado, the next chapter! Yes, it's another long one, but well worth the wait... ;)

Nice work. ^_^
Certainly made brightened up my day a bit, even if I am about to go to sleep soon. I like how you have been filling in the spaces where Hisao isn't around. Has been working pretty well so far.
Worth the wait, though I kinda have to say I was hoping for its release this past friday, as it was my birthday. XD
Guess I'm a bit childish like that.

Anyway, I look forward to your next installment, just don't overload yourself. =D

NoOne852:
Nice work. ^_^
Certainly made brightened up my day a bit, even if I am about to go to sleep soon. I like how you have been filling in the spaces where Hisao isn't around. Has been working pretty well so far.
Worth the wait, though I kinda have to say I was hoping for its release this past friday, as it was my birthday. XD
Guess I'm a bit childish like that.

Anyway, I look forward to your next installment, just don't overload yourself. =D

Ah, my apologies on the timing, and a very happy belated birthday to you! I hope this serves as a nice enough late present for you :)

Thanks also for the comment on my space-filling. I was actually a bit more uncertain originally about it, even though dialogue has always been my strongest writing skill. When I write original fiction, I tend to write characters then build plot around them, so the dialogue flows naturally as to what they would say (rather than what I want them to say). So with Hanako, I struggled a bit at first, only really giving her dialogue from the original game and writing little original dialogue, focusing on her thought process instead, since I had a bit of difficulty trying to seperate the actual character from what I wanted the character to be like.

Now I'm getting more used to her though, and by thinking about how she would react I'm also learning more about her, so it's getting easier to write what she would say, not what I want her to say, and thus staying more true to Hanako's character without sacrificing writing quality. Thus, I'm getting a bit more adventurous, adding more bits where Hanako isn't part of the game narrative and adding more conversations where Hisao isn't around, or isn't listening. To be honest, that's the main problem I've seen in a few otherwise good fanfics that don't follow the original arc, characters acting OOC because of the author's own writing style. Still, 90%, eh? Should probably change that law to "90% = shit, 8% = okay, and 2% = fucking A..." ;D

Next chapter's up!

Interesting developments in this chapter. My only critisism would be that the way Hanako chose the tea kinda felt a bit forced into the flow. I do like what you did with it, however, so don't take this as I don't like the idea.
Also, I have another question:
do you plan to write a session of Hanako with her therapist?

I'd imagine that would be a bit of a challenge as we don't know what the therapist is like and that it could very well be a different side of Hanako than what we have seen in Katawa Shoujo.

Was still a good read, and I like your take on Hanako's development (for lack of a better word). I look forward to the next chapter! =D

NoOne852:
Interesting developments in this chapter. My only critisism would be that the way Hanako chose the tea kinda felt a bit forced into the flow. I do like what you did with it, however, so don't take this as I don't like the idea.

I'd imagine that would be a bit of a challenge as we don't know what the therapist is like and that it could very well be a different side of Hanako than what we have seen in Katawa Shoujo.

Was still a good read, and I like your take on Hanako's development (for lack of a better word). I look forward to the next chapter! =D

Awesome, thanks :). With the tea, that was just how I read the passage from the game, but I guess different people will take different meanings from it. As for the therapy sessions, I just need to read ahead a bit in the VN first because I've somehow managed to confuse myself with regards to the days of the week (I know it's accurate so far and whatnot because of how I've followed the game, but I need to make sure I stick the therapy session in the right place and that it doesn't clash with the established canon - especially considering Hisao never mentions Hanako going to her sessions in the VN, even though other characters do confirm she has them).

I'll definitely write it, though, but I realise it may be awkward to reconcile people's own ideas with what I plan to write, and the fact that we never see the sessions will make things more difficult. However, on the KS forums there's a very good fanfic (now completed) that acts as a continuation of Hanako's arc following her neutral ending. It gets a bit dark and bleak as it carries on, but it's very well written, and the author included scenes with Hanako's therapist, making up their own OC to act as the therapist and interacting in a very believable way with Hanako. If possible I may use that as a reference, with that author's blessing, and have a better basis from which to write a believeable therapy session. I'd rather use a reference rather than anything from scratch, which I would still be capable of doing, simply because it would be more believable for Hanako's estabished character given what this writer has managed to come up with :)

Trivun:

NoOne852:

Awesome, thanks :). With the tea, that was just how I read the passage from the game, but I guess different people will take different meanings from it. As for the therapy sessions, I just need to read ahead a bit in the VN first because I've somehow managed to confuse myself with regards to the days of the week (I know it's accurate so far and whatnot because of how I've followed the game, but I need to make sure I stick the therapy session in the right place and that it doesn't clash with the established canon - especially considering Hisao never mentions Hanako going to her sessions in the VN, even though other characters do confirm she has them).

I'll definitely write it, though, but I realise it may be awkward to reconcile people's own ideas with what I plan to write, and the fact that we never see the sessions will make things more difficult. However, on the KS forums there's a very good fanfic (now completed) that acts as a continuation of Hanako's arc following her neutral ending. It gets a bit dark and bleak as it carries on, but it's very well written, and the author included scenes with Hanako's therapist, making up their own OC to act as the therapist and interacting in a very believable way with Hanako. If possible I may use that as a reference, with that author's blessing, and have a better basis from which to write a believeable therapy session. I'd rather use a reference rather than anything from scratch, which I would still be capable of doing, simply because it would be more believable for Hanako's estabished character given what this writer has managed to come up with :)

Of course, having somewhere to draw from would be better then working from scratch in unfamiliar territory. And that was why I asked, its one thing to write unwritten dialogue, but an unseen side, rarely mentioned is an entirely different challenge. I say go for it, if you can get the author's approval, which, I am sure you won't have an issue with. ^_^

I realise this is pretty quick, but I was in the mood to continue sooner rather than later. Next chapter will be within a reasonable time, then we finally start to move towards the next Act... Oh, and I realise that I screwed up the timing of when Hanako learns of Hisao's arrythmia, but it's a fanfiction. I'm allowed to take a few liberties here and there, right?

The chapter title is a reference, by the way, but it's not so obvious. See if you can figure it out. Bear in mind the theme of the chapter, and also Hanako's choice of reading material... ;)

A pleasent surprise to have here reguarding how quickly this one came. ^_^
I hate to just say the same things I've been saying, but you are retaining good form my friend! It seems you have really gotten into Hanako's character. That only brings a concern (even if it won't come around for some time still) of when you move to another character's route. I'm sure you get into it just as well, however, the initial transistion from Hanako to someone else could be difficult.

But that is sort of off subject. I do like how you're showing Hanako's thoughts of not wanting to be treated like glass. I think it helps support her character and helps show the unseen (but quite present) side of her.

Keep up the great work!

NoOne852:
I hate to just say the same things I've been saying, but you are retaining good form my friend! It seems you have really gotten into Hanako's character. That only brings a concern (even if it won't come around for some time still) of when you move to another character's route. I'm sure you get into it just as well, however, the initial transistion from Hanako to someone else could be difficult.

But that is sort of off subject. I do like how you're showing Hanako's thoughts of not wanting to be treated like glass. I think it helps support her character and helps show the unseen (but quite present) side of her.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks again :). I just wonder as I post this though, did you understand what the title was a reference to this time? I want to see just how many people can guess what it refers to ;)

Trivun:

NoOne852:

Keep up the great work!

Thanks again :). I just wonder as I post this though, did you understand what the title was a reference to this time? I want to see just how many people can guess what it refers to ;)

If you mean by symbolism, then I assume it means how Hanako is reflecting on herself and her past.
If it is a reference to another work, then alas, I do not know. :/

NoOne852:

Trivun:

NoOne852:

Keep up the great work!

If you mean by symbolism, then I assume it means how Hanako is reflecting on herself and her past.
If it is a reference to another work, then alas, I do not know. :/

Hmmm, the symbolism is part of it, but it's more on how Hanako and Hisao are sort of mirrors of each other in her arc, at least in certain respects. It's also, however, a reference to the author that Hanako is reading - Haruki Murakami, a Japanese author well known fo his works regarding the themes of alienation and loneliness, which is also why his works are referenced in the VN as one of Hanako's usual favourites. The Mirror was the name of one of his stories, and I picked that rather than something else (like Dance Dance Dance, which she's reading, or 1Q84) because of the links to the symbolism :)

Oh you and your being clever. :P
I am not familiar with the author Haruji Murakami (other than what is referenced in KS), but it sounds like he has some pretty interesting works.

NoOne852:
Oh you and your being clever. :P
I am not familiar with the author Haruki Murakami (other than what is referenced in KS), but it sounds like he has some pretty interesting works.

Same here, I only heard of him through Katawa Shoujo, but I have to say that Hanako's arc has definitely made me interested in reading more of his stuff. Unfortunately I have a backlog at the moment (I'm a third of the way through the Myst Reader, I have the next Halo book on my list when it's released in the UK, a recent new release from Anthony Horowitz, Mogworld still to read, and then I've been planning to read A Game Of Thrones for ages - but I'll be adding Murakami to my list then ;D).

Trivun:

Same here, I only heard of him through Katawa Shoujo, but I have to say that Hanako's arc has definitely made me interested in reading more of his stuff. Unfortunately I have a backlog at the moment (I'm a third of the way through the Myst Reader, I have the next Halo book on my list when it's released in the UK, a recent new release from Anthony Horowitz, Mogworld still to read, and then I've been planning to read A Game Of Thrones for ages - but I'll be adding Murakami to my list then ;D).

I don't quite have a backlog, but I do need to get around to reading a book my friend got me (The Steampunk Bible). I'm not entirely sure where I would find any of his works other than the internet, because everything is there. XD

First of all, apologies for the very late posting of this chapter. Stuff came up that gave me much less time to write this past month, and so Hanako's Story had to take the backseat temporaraily. Hopefully now I have time to write again, things will be much better in terms of update times, and hopefully this next chapter is good enough to make up for the recent lack of activity. On a more important note, I would like to thank Guest Poster of the Katawa Shoujo forums for his permission in using one of his original characters for this chapter. Miss Yumi does not belong to me and is the creation of Guest Poster, and I am very grateful to him for allowing me to use the character as I have done. I urge you all to check out Sisterhood, the work where Miss Yumi originates, and give him your support. It's definitely worth a read :).

Trivun:
Stuff came up

A likely excuse!

I liked the new chapter. Nice and long and added a new part to the story. Keeping things fresh :D

Trivun:
First of all, apologies for the very late posting of this chapter. Stuff came up that gave me much less time to write this past month, and so Hanako's Story had to take the backseat temporaraily. Hopefully now I have time to write again, things will be much better in terms of update times, and hopefully this next chapter is good enough to make up for the recent lack of activity. On a more important note, I would like to thank Guest Poster of the Katawa Shoujo forums for his permission in using one of his original characters for this chapter. Miss Yumi does not belong to me and is the creation of Guest Poster, and I am very grateful to him for allowing me to use the character as I have done. I urge you all to check out Sisterhood, the work where Miss Yumi originates, and give him your support. It's definitely worth a read :).

Interesting read, and I think you captured both characters pretty well (I've read most of 'Sisterhood' at this point). I do like how you tied this into the story as well, great work as usual.
Can't wait for your next update! =D

Beffudled Sheep:

Trivun:
Stuff came up

A likely excuse!

I liked the new chapter. Nice and long and added a new part to the story. Keeping things fresh :D

Thank you :D And well done on your score on your anatomy exam :)

NoOne852:
Interesting read, and I think you captured both characters pretty well (I've read most of 'Sisterhood' at this point). I do like how you tied this into the story as well, great work as usual.
Can't wait for your next update! =D

Thank you also, and thanks for your comment on Miss Yumi :). That was one of my chief worries, that I wouldn't have stayed close enough to the character despite my own best effors, but Guest Poster did comment on the KS forums when I posted this yesterday and he agreed that there were no real concerns, so approval from both you and the actual character's creator certainly helps me rest a little easier now :D

Apologies again for the delay, but hopefully the start of Act Three will be worth the wait :D

Trivun:
Apologies again for the delay, but hopefully the start of Act Three will be worth the wait :D

Wait, what about the end of act 2? I don't recall getting there, or are you doing acts seperate from the novel?(Though, my memory is a bit fuzzy on what events occured when in the story now)

That being said, I think you are getting into "the date" well. You're showing it heavy on her mind and her trying to overcome it, or at least distract herself from it anyway, without it interrupting the story. Kudos, and such praise. =D

NoOne852:

Trivun:

Wait, what about the end of act 2? I don't recall getting there, or are you doing acts seperate from the novel?(Though, my memory is a bit fuzzy on what events occured when in the story now)

That being said, I think you are getting into "the date" well. You're showing it heavy on her mind and her trying to overcome it, or at least distract herself from it anyway, without it interrupting the story. Kudos, and such praise. =D

Haha, don't worry, I've been following the game (replaying as I write) and nothing's been missed - the end of Act Two is the stuff that happens in my own 'Act 2 Chapter 4', i.e. in 'The Mirror', and then in the game it skips ahead a bit in time by a few weeks to speed things up when Act 3 begins, which is what I've written here. I simply added a therapy session again in between the two. But yeah, nothing's been missed so far xD.

And thanks for the praise regarding my approach to 'the date' :). That might be a bit tougher for me to write well from now onwards, so encouragement at this point is something I do really appreciate, so cheers for that!

Trivun:

NoOne852:

Trivun:

Haha, don't worry, I've been following the game (replaying as I write) and nothing's been missed - the end of Act Two is the stuff that happens in my own 'Act 2 Chapter 4', i.e. in 'The Mirror', and then in the game it skips ahead a bit in time by a few weeks to speed things up when Act 3 begins, which is what I've written here. I simply added a therapy session again in between the two. But yeah, nothing's been missed so far xD.

And thanks for the praise regarding my approach to 'the date' :). That might be a bit tougher for me to write well from now onwards, so encouragement at this point is something I do really appreciate, so cheers for that!

Ah. Just curious since the festival wasn't brought up is all.

And no problem. I look forward to seeing how you tackle the story when the time comes. ^_^

I request, nay, DEMAND moar! :D

Beffudled Sheep:
I request, nay, DEMAND moar! :D

Might be a bit of a delay because of Christmas, and I have an article to edit yet again, a game story to be working on for the Indie Speed Run, and plenty of overtime at work. However, when it's up (and I'll try to minimise the delay) then as a KG Group member you'll be among the first to know :D

Okay, late one because of Christmas, and bit shorter because it's another therapy session, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Wonderful! (or maybe that isn't the right word given the circumstance of the story... >_>)
It is nice to see an update again, I hope you didn't push yourself too hard to get this out, what with all the holidays and such going on the past month.

You are doing a good job of portaying the possibilities of what Hanako may be thinking and doing while "off scene" and building up to her birthday. I am still ever curious as to how you will handle those events and I will be looking forward as always to your next update. :D

NoOne852:
Wonderful! (or maybe that isn't the right word given the circumstance of the story... >_>)
It is nice to see an update again, I hope you didn't push yourself too hard to get this out, what with all the holidays and such going on the past month.

You are doing a good job of portaying the possibilities of what Hanako may be thinking and doing while "off scene" and building up to her birthday. I am still ever curious as to how you will handle those events and I will be looking forward as always to your next update. :D

Thank you! Truth be told I was a bit worried that this chapter wouldn't be as good as the others, as I wrote it over the weekend in the space of a few hours since I've not had time this past week since starting my new job :P. Happy to hear then that you liked it! And I'm curious myself as to how I'll handle things coming up, but to be fair I've read ahead in the VN to prepare myself and make sure that what I write now doesn't clash with later canon developments, so I have some ideas for how I'll handle the next scene, if nothing further ;D.

Aww! This is so good, and still so sad ^^ I really enjoyed reading these sections :p Actually I'm kinda sad I found this before your done, so that I will have to wait now XD

But it's really really good :) You have a good hang on the mood, and you actually left me kinda sad thinking "Aw, poor hanako" at this last chapter <.< I do love Hanako, and personally I think she had both the most romantic, sad & troublesome story in a good mix, so this Idea you are doing here is really nice ^^ again, I enjoy it a lot :)
Looking forward for the next chapter with an unpatience mind hehe

First off, I would like to thank you for doing this. You are an amazing writer and I hope to see more of you in the future!

Question: How often do you post these Chapters?

Stokholm:
Aww! This is so good, and still so sad ^^ I really enjoyed reading these sections :p Actually I'm kinda sad I found this before your done, so that I will have to wait now XD

But it's really really good :) You have a good hang on the mood, and you actually left me kinda sad thinking "Aw, poor hanako" at this last chapter <.< I do love Hanako, and personally I think she had both the most romantic, sad & troublesome story in a good mix, so this Idea you are doing here is really nice ^^ again, I enjoy it a lot :)
Looking forward for the next chapter with an unpatience mind hehe

Haha, thank you! Hopefully it'll be worth the wait :). And I agree with you, though it is a shame we don't get to see how their relationship progresses after the game ends (which is one of the reasons I enjoy Sisterhood so much, the fanfic where Miss Yumi comes from, on the KS forums). That was actually one of the reasons for me writing this in the first place, truth be told :P.

StudyOfWumbology:
First off, I would like to thank you for doing this. You are an amazing writer and I hope to see more of you in the future!

Question: How often do you post these Chapters?

Thank you to you as well, happy to see you're enjoying my writing so far :D. To answer your question, the next chapter will hopefully be within the next week or so, but I can't guarantee anything at the moment. The original plan when I started the story was to get two chapters out per month, trying to write a chapter a fortnight, but not long after I started my grandmother had a bad fall and broke her shoulder, so I had to spend a lot of time looking after her which meant less time to write. Since then she's recovered well, but I've just started a new full time job now, so again I have much less time to write. When I get the chance then I'll certainly continue, it's just a matter of finding time, but certainly I want to get at least one chapter done per month now, and ideally more often even than that. Hopefully the wait now won't be too long though :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked