What new features should be introduced in Fallout 4?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

ToastiestZombie:

Palmerama:
Give it to Obsidian! But unlike New Vegas, give them an engine that isn't so ridiculously old that they have to mod the engine themselves so they can fit the content in! This is why NV had so many bugs! The game was much bigger than FO3 but they were given the same engine that was 6 years old & used for Oblivion! There was just too much content for the engine to handle! If it had used Skyrim's engine then it would have been far smoother! But obvioulsy Bethesda wanted to keep the engine for themselves!

Another reason I want Obsidian to do it (and not beause alot of Obsidian employees worked on the originals) is that I can see Bethesda just turning it into a futuristic version of Skyrim! There were so many elements in Skyrim that they borrowed from New Vegas & im guessing that we'll feel the same in FO4!

Wut, New Vegas came out before Skyrim's engine was probably done. It had nothing to do with Bethesda holding back the Skyrim engine, they hadn't finished the damn thing when New Vegas started development!

Its still a dick move on their part giving them an engine which was created in the previous generation! It was going past its limitations with Fallout 3!

Dual wielding melee and small arms
Choice of being a ghoul
Motorcycle for fast travel and exploration (like in Wanderers Edition of Fallout 3)
Weather
Return of crafting weapons
more spots to aim at in VATS and have crippling limbs be more detrimental (ie: get crippled dominant arm, have to use other arm and have less accuracy until fixed)
Hardcore mode plus or realism mode, an even harder version of hardcore mode which increases damage and lowers health so 1-2 shots can be fatal from almost anything.

-A story more similar to New Vegas than Fallout 3.

-Multiple starting points. The Fallout series houses an expansive lore, with lots of different types of people. Let me get the chance to experience the story from different perspectives. Maybe I start out as a raider, maybe I'm a vault dweller, maybe I'm a ghoul.

-Better developed characters that I actually give a damn about.

-The ability to shape your story, I shouldn't be shoehorned into being the savior of the wasteland if I'm playing as an unrepentant psychopath, and "good" characters shouldn't want to associate with me so readily and assume that I'd be willing to help them in their noble pursuits.

-Non suicidally idiotic party members, who can jump on top of freaking rocks. Hell, you could have them instantly teleport to your location, I would accept that too. Just don't make it so that they take the long way around just 'cause I jumped over a boulder.

-And on the note of jumping, I'd actually prefer it if they took the series out of first person mode and made it control more similarly to Uncharted or Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed, at least when it comes to moving about the environment. I'd prefer not to bunny hop my way up a mountain. Plus it would be really cool to explore the post apocalyptic wasteland in such a manner.

-Failing that, make a better third person view, and make it actually possible to fight with ranged weapons.

-People talk to me when I want to talk to them. This is more of a Bethesda style game problem, than a Fallout exclusive problem, but I'm tired of wandering into town and having everyone stop in their tracks and blab the same 3 lines at me all the time.

-Less randomized AI patterns, at least when it comes to the civilians. This goes back to glitches, I've seen the randomized AI patterns result in people getting stuck between walls or throwing themselves off high platforms. It kinda kills the immersion, is what I'm saying. Hell, I'd be content with people just staying in one place.

-Better RPG aspects.

-Smarter enemies, especially for those who enjoy stealth playthroughs.

-I liked hardcore mode in New Vegas, that can make a comeback.

That's all I can think of for now.

One word: dismembering

No, not on death, but in a battle with an enemy, if I do enough damage to the legs, I want the enemy's leg to get ripped off, and have him limp/crawl without it.

Of course, this would require some major firepower, so you can't just put a single 10mm pistol bullet in the leg of a deathclaw and hop around him, punching him to death.
Unless you are a gigantic end-game badass doing it to an early game low level civilian.

This would require some MAJOR animation work, with great AI that tries to have characters lean on walls when they lose a leg, to be convincing.
Basically, I want a game that could only be made with a 250 man team in 6 years of work.

Let's see...this being based on having played through Fallout 3 GotY, and a good chunk of New Vegas in Hardcore.

1. It's a common gripe, but whomever that develops Fallout 4 needs to spend some serious time addressing bugs and other issues BEFORE release. I'd be pretty tolerant of overall setting and mechanics if the final product were just a little bit smoother. Fix your engine before you touch up the paint, you know what I'm saying?

2. Get us the heck out of the western deserts or the D.C. area, please. For all the linearity of the Alaskan expansion in Fallout 3, I really enjoyed the shift in scenery. In fact, I say get us up to Winnipeg: it's a winter city, it would be a natural place to flee to in the open prairies, lots of history, rivers, maybe a great place for some secrets built into the Canadian Shield or the unassuming flatlands? I don't know.

3. Beef up the RPG elements. Make it so that more of your decisions are a major factor in future storylines - your "reputation" proceeding you, I suppose.

4. Hardcore mode can stay.

Marriage and kids? no not really.

More types of salvage, and uses for it all. Let me make armor out of tin cans.

Slayer_2:
Ironsights, a hardcore mode, and an SDK! Since I know I won't be happy with the game either way, give me the tools to mod it to my tastes.

EDIT: Also don't make it in a boring desert, that I can't fix. A good atmosphere like in FO3 is critical.

Uh... You do know there was mod kits for both New Vegas and Fallout 3 right? A Hardcore mode in New Vegas and also Ironsights? O.o

cjspyres:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
A story that doesn't make me want to facepalm, and writing that is actually up to scratch.

It's Bethesda, though, so I know that won't happen.

The sad thing is that Obsidian already made a true follow up to the old Fallout games, and now they've got Mr Fallout himself, Tim Cain, on their staff.

Seriously Bethesda! Not only did Obsidian make a better Fallout games than yours in every way that mattered (apart from bugs, which was Bethesda's fault anyway), they've now got pretty much every major developer who worked on the old Fallout games working under one roof. There is not a better placed studio in the world to make a Fallout 4! Just give them the license to make another game, and go make another Elder Scrolls game.

Wait. Now, I like all the Fallout games, none more so than the other. But how can you say that Obsidian made a better Fallout game, but when the issue of their bugs come up, you blame that on Bethesda? I mean, I love both Bethesda and Obsidian, but both of them release buggy games, not just one. I sense Obsidian fanboyism.

Bethesda were the ones in charge of QA and bug testing. Obsidian built the game, debugged it as best as the could during development time, then passed it to Bethesda to be given proper bug testing.

Bethesda then decided to release it without having given it proper QA assurance. The blame for New Vegas' buggy state likes with the terrible Gamebryo engine that Bethesda forced Obsidian to use, and Bethesda's own unwillingness to do any debugging.

GangstaPony:
Multiplayer and On-Disk DLC... hahahahaha!
Although, Borderlands style drop in/drop out co-op could be cool

no. just... no. co-op in fallout would remove the loneliness, make it a more serious borderlands basically.

Korten12:

Slayer_2:
Ironsights, a hardcore mode, and an SDK! Since I know I won't be happy with the game either way, give me the tools to mod it to my tastes.

EDIT: Also don't make it in a boring desert, that I can't fix. A good atmosphere like in FO3 is critical.

Uh... You do know there was mod kits for both New Vegas and Fallout 3 right? A Hardcore mode in New Vegas and also Ironsights? O.o

Yeesss... And that doesn't mean an SKD is 100% promised for Fallout 4, does it? Sadly, lots of devs are deciding that mods aren't worth the effort.

Slayer_2:

Korten12:

Slayer_2:

Yeesss... And that doesn't mean an SKD is 100% promised for Fallout 4, does it? Sadly, lots of devs are deciding that mods aren't worth the effort.

It basically is 100% since odds are it will be made with Betheseda in the same engine as Skyrim which is moddable. Considering all they did with Skyrim and intergrating mods with Steam, there is an extreamlly low chance of them saying no.

Every faction should be able to give you missions and have interacting NPCs.

That includes the Raiders/Fiends and Talon Company. I always felt that Talon Company was wasted in Fallout 3 as they're billed as the less-scrupulous Mercs in comparison to Reilly's Rangers, yet you never get the chance to work with them even if you're playing a less-than-scrupulous Lone Wanderer.

Korten12:

Slayer_2:

Korten12:

It basically is 100% since odds are it will be made with Betheseda in the same engine as Skyrim which is moddable. Considering all they did with Skyrim and intergrating mods with Steam, there is an extreamlly low chance of them saying no.

Nothing is 100%, we can hope, though, hence why it is on my wishlist of features.

Followers should be able to help with non-combat stuff more.
You could have them hack/lockpick for you maybe?
The ability to have more followers based on your charisma.
Set it in New York. All things are better in New York.
Increase the impact of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

a plot that is actually interesting??

I would like Fallout 4 to be an actual sequel to Fallout 2.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
There is not a better placed studio in the world to make a Fallout 4! Just give them the license to make another game, and go make another Elder Scrolls game.

This just about sums up what would be best for both franchises. Instead of Bethsoft dividing their studio "Fallout 3 - Elder Scrolls V" style, they should go full-on Elder Scrolls VI. A 5 year development for that game alone, so it can have Skyrim's size with Morrowind's richness.

Meanwhile, Obsidian would be make Fallout 4 with Beth's blessing and hopefully someone would dial back the pressure on Obsidian so they have time to QA the game up the ass.

Seriously, this makes so much sense and would be so ideal for everyone involved that it's pretty much guaranteed never to happen... *sigh*

Mr.Tea:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
There is not a better placed studio in the world to make a Fallout 4! Just give them the license to make another game, and go make another Elder Scrolls game.

This just about sums up what would be best for both franchises. Instead of Bethsoft dividing their studio "Fallout 3 - Elder Scrolls V" style, they should go full-on Elder Scrolls VI. A 5 year development for that game alone, so it can have Skyrim's size with Morrowind's richness.

Meanwhile, Obsidian would be make Fallout 4 with Beth's blessing and hopefully someone would dial back the pressure on Obsidian so they have time to QA the game up the ass.

Seriously, this makes so much sense and would be so ideal for everyone involved that it's pretty much guaranteed never to happen... *sigh*

Bethesda have proven time and again that common sense isn't one of their strong points.

And, y'know, the Scrolls hooplah and all that jazz...

Ability to shift the camera into an isometric perspective and make everything grid and turn based. I know it would be a tremendous waste of time and pointless, but I can't handle anyone purist bitching about how much better the originals were because of those things. It's maddening.

Souplex:
Set it in New York. All things are better in New York.

An out of control Central Park (finally, greenery!), spooky, raider-filled Queens, a Vegas-esque Broadway, a heavily militarized Times Square, Liberty Island as a Brotherhood of Steel bunker. New York City could provide an immensely varied locale for a Fallout game.

Other than that I'd like to see:

- More actual RPG-ness, Fallout 1/2 style. New Vegas was making a really good effort, now for the final stretch. Let us try to break that door open when we can't pick it's lock or even blow it up. Let us talk our way out of various situations. Let us pick and choose what we want to do, which people we want to support and how we want to resolve each story.

- I like the idea of making followers more useful. Sort of like Mass Effect squadmates where their out-of-combat abilities matter too.

- Some more camp and cheese would be welcome. It is Fallout after all.

- A way better engine with way better facial animations. There's a lot of talking in Fallout especially if they really bring back more RPG elements. Skyrim's engine won't cut it for that.

- More progress of civilization. With that I don't mean rebuilding entirely, but for heaven's sake; clean your windows, give that building a lick of paint, remove the wrecks from your streets, that sort of thing. If you can print your own damn money surely you can do little things like that. Sometimes in New Vegas it was plain impossible to tell where the Wasteland ended and where civilization began.

All Fallout 4 needs is what Skyrim had and a nuked-out Chrysler Building.

Well really the only thing I care about fallout 4 at this early stage is whether Bethesda lets Obsidian do the writing.

I really, really hope they do.

-Combat that doesn't suck.
-A smaller game world with more dense populations so you can avoid the huge desolate bore-scape that plagued FO3. I get it, it's a nuclear wasteland... but that doesn't excuse how huge and empty it is. It's supposed to be gameplay over immersion, not the other way around.
-Some semblance of a decent story.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Bethesda have proven time and again that common sense isn't one of their strong points.

And, y'know, the Scrolls hooplah and all that jazz...

Why do people get so butthurt over the bucket thing?

Its a funny glitch they left in to make the game more fun.... like the giants throwing you 1,000 feet in the air if they kill you with a power attack.

Also the scrolls thing was something they HAD to do because of copyright laws, if they DIDN'T challenge it it would have led to tons of problems.

FalloutJack:

TheOneBearded:
-Not bad-

You've covered a number of good ones. Add to it one thing for my money. I want to be able to take over organizations. Either by hook, by crook, or Necromonger style ("You keep what you kill."), For this, I wish to take over as leader of the biggest elite army of Enclave troopers and tame the wasteland for myself, for I am the number one guy.

Wouldn't the surviving members just kill you and then reinstate a person that they trust?

WaysideMaze:

Finally, get rid of the karma system, but keep the reputation system. Don't tell me whether I'm being 'good' or 'evil' let me decide for myself.

The karma system didn't really matter in New Vegas, so they were on their way to just taking it out.

TizzytheTormentor:
Make the game not end after the last quest, the ending slides in New Vegas were boring as shit, I want to actually SEE what my choices did on the wasteland, not some fucking voice over with a picture telling me what happened.

They should not do this. Have you finished Skyrim? How did you feel? I felt empty as hell after "killing" Alduin and I had a ton of missions to do left. Leaving an ending leaves you with purpose instead of just roaming around and doing shit for giggles.

TheOneBearded:

FalloutJack:

TheOneBearded:
-Not bad-

You've covered a number of good ones. Add to it one thing for my money. I want to be able to take over organizations. Either by hook, by crook, or Necromonger style ("You keep what you kill."), For this, I wish to take over as leader of the biggest elite army of Enclave troopers and tame the wasteland for myself, for I am the number one guy.

Wouldn't the surviving members just kill you and then reinstate a person that they trust?

Clearly, you have not seen me play. When I say I'm the number one guy, I mean that the man who has taken over is none other than the wasteland's leading badass of hazard extermination. No one...will kill me.

RatRace123:

-Better RPG aspects.

Care to elaborate? I thought NV did a damn good job.

An in-depth faction system (among both major and minor factions) would be quite interesting. A skyrim style leveling system could be interesting, considering I like using multiple types of guns and weapons, instead of investing in one type. Of course, you'd have the same problems as with skyrim in the fact that after you've leveled your main abilities you used to full there was nothing else to do. A Skyrim-style leveling system really has no advantages over a Fallout style one, so I'd be fine with either or.

Some sort of vehicle play would also be interesting. I mean, if the mid-western Brotherhood had a freaking airship, I would think that over the course of a few decades one guy could scrounge together some patchwork motorcycle. Seeing a Fallout set outside of America would also be interesting, as I really like the Fallout lore and would love to see what happened to whatever is left of the world.

Not boring combat
Not boring characters
Not boring armour\weapon design
Not boring environments and buildings.
NO embryo.
An actually engaging story.
Completely reworked animations to allow comfortable 3rd person play.
Scrap all that living npc crap it never added anything to immersion only to frustration.
Much smaller world packed with interesting things.

it's safe to say that i don't like Fallout 3.

oplinger:
New Vegas kinda hit everything I wanted out of fallout, gameplay wise.

The only thing I really want out of Fallout 4 is heavy usage of the new animation engine.

I want more, and better, animations. Blending would be nice, so things seem much more real and living.

That on top of a few things you said, but to add to your last point about smithing, I'd like them to make the armor complicated like morrowind, so I can mix and match pieces of everything so it seems like a patchwork job, like many many things in fallout.

I completely agree with this. Compare Grand theft auto IV's animation to New Vegas.. The engine is certainly holding fallout back a lot.

Mostly for Bethesda to not make it. Or to at least Bethesda make it and then sell the rights to another Fallout game to Obsidian so I actually have something to look forward to. Also on that note it would be fantastic if Bethesda just stuck to their lore on the East coast and let Obsidian keep doing their thing without Bethesda ruining it and making it so dreadfully generic(Quick give everyone power armor!)

TheOneBearded:

TizzytheTormentor:
Make the game not end after the last quest, the ending slides in New Vegas were boring as shit, I want to actually SEE what my choices did on the wasteland, not some fucking voice over with a picture telling me what happened.

They should not do this. Have you finished Skyrim? How did you feel? I felt empty as hell after "killing" Alduin and I had a ton of missions to do left. Leaving an ending leaves you with purpose instead of just roaming around and doing shit for giggles.

Fallout New Vegas felt worse, I finished the game only for the narrator to tell me what happened, THAT made me feel empty, made me feel like everything I did was pretty pointless, considering that If there was an ending slide you didn't like, just go to the wiki and pick the best ones and pretend those happened.

Fallout 3 did Broken Steel rather well, Jefferson Memorial was full of BOS paladins and scribes, fresh water flowing and water being delivered to the wastes, if they did this with many other groups in the game, showing what you did made a difference, it would have helped in its favor. Like when I helped the slaves get to the Lincoln Memorial, when they got there, they had better armor and better weapons (and better fed according to the quest giver) and the head of Lincoln was put back on the statue. If that was done slightly better, I would have been thrilled by the results.

It's all just opinions anyway and yes, Skyrims main quest ending was lame but to be honest, I felt the Civil War questline was better than the main one, at least that had things happen.

oplinger:
New Vegas kinda hit everything I wanted out of fallout, gameplay wise.

The only thing I really want out of Fallout 4 is heavy usage of the new animation engine.

I want more, and better, animations. Blending would be nice, so things seem much more real and living.

That on top of a few things you said, but to add to your last point about smithing, I'd like them to make the armor complicated like morrowind, so I can mix and match pieces of everything so it seems like a patchwork job, like many many things in fallout.

And to add to that, if I'm disguised as another faction, I want people to recognize me as a member of said faction. Skyrim FORGOT about this part, so much for "make any character". Also, I want to be able to break down doors, via smashing them open or blasting them with explosives.

Also, better combat, hire the guy who made Fallout Wanderers Edition.

ultrachicken:
Obsidian needs to try to actually listen to the QA department. The level of bugs in NV was unacceptable in a $60 release.

I'm pretty sure they did, it's just that said QA department was BETHESDA SOFTWORKS.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked