Worst game(s) of 2012?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Bhaalspawn:

Second is Spec Ops: The Line but ONLY because an odd half second delay between mouse movement and cursor movement made the game completely unplayable and I wasn't able to experience the story that everyone praises. If I ever find out how to fix it, I'll amend this.

I knew something was wrong when I picked up that game. The shooting just didn't work well. I had a hard time aiming. I know why now.

I usually do my research very well before I buy a game, so the only game for me that was bad was the one I bought completely on impulse and faith. 007 Legends. There are so many things wrong with it. It would be one of the best Game Grump games to play, I jumped on top of the bomb in Fort Knox cuz I was bored, and I insta died. I also went up a staircase I wasn;t supposed to, and insta died again. It would totally be a "so bad it's effing hilarious" kind of deal, but since the company that made it also made Nightfire, it's really just sad. Like watching a childhood hero in a nursing home shit his pants and forget where he is :(

Blood Brain Barrier:
I'm not counting the generic shooters. Worst game I've played is The Walking Dead. Cliched, boring and it's not even a game.

That's an odd choice... it won Game of the Year, It's makers won studio of the year, one of it's characters won Best Performance by a Human female, it won Best adapted game and Best Downloadable game at the Spike TV Video Game Awards... That's a lot of awards voted for by the public... Would you care to elaborate as to why it does not deserve these awards?

Do XBLIG games count as games? Or are they so bad you can't associate them with that term.

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:
Worst game of the year: Spec Ops: The Line...

Would you care to explain why you made that choice or do you just want me to judge it as failtroll of the year?

This has already been responded to in this thread, but here's one more time for the cheap seats:

Seen it before level design, poor game mechanics, one of the worst examples of story writing for games in a long, long while (at least since Metal Gear Solid 4) and an aged multiplayer to boot.

Out of the games I bought this year, the biggest regret for me was torchlight 2. I don't know why the first one I loved so much and the second I lost interest in so quickly, but it might have something to do with the long time gap since I last played D2 and stumbling onto the original torchlight. When I first picked up torchlight it was like a nostalgia trip and I reveled in it. By the time T2 arrived I'd had my fill of loot and endless clicking, I regretted that purchase and know I won't ever bother to finish it.

Mass effect 3 was a fumbled mess especially at the end, but for what its worth for a while it didn't disappoint. The genophage resolution as either paragon or renegade was handled beautifully. Shame the rest made no sense and I can't ever forget that starchild BS.

Saw AC3 coming as a steaming pile of disappointment, especially after playing revelations and stopping halfway through never to finish it. Series milked to death with so many installments and cash ins without plot development, not interested anymore.

Xcom too, for a while I was gripped but again, I doubt I will be bothered to finish it. Something too simplistic about that game. I'm also shocked that given its made by Firaxis who understood the strategic decisions to switch to a hex system with CivV, that they would revert to squares again for this game. Shooting through cover not cool. Lot of cheap moments in there that irked me.

It hasn't been too good of a year for games for me personally, we all have our own opinions. But I've been playing a lot of older titles lately and spent a lot of money on stuff this year I really wish i hadn't. Just glad I've got a large backlog of older games I passed over to play new releases that's left me in want.

Legends of Pegasus. To anyone that's tried it, it should be fairly obvious why. Easily the worst buy I did this year. I feel like a giant sucker for falling for it.

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:
Worst game of the year: Spec Ops: The Line...

Would you care to explain why you made that choice or do you just want me to judge it as failtroll of the year?

...an aged multiplayer to boot.

You can't make a game the worst of the year for THAT! The multiplayer was just a last minute tacked-on thing quite literally forced onto the game by the publisher otherwise they would not sell it. The developers intended this to be like Skyrim in that it is EXCLUSIVELY single-player but the publisher would have none of it and forced the multiplayer onto the game after it was all complete so they had to rush it in order for the game to be released at all. And how is the story bad? I find it's quite a good exploration of PTSD and what it really does to people and the mechanics work well for their intended purpose which is a satire of the current SpunkGargleWeeWee genre as a whole.

Extra credits explains it better than I can http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spec-ops-the-line-part-1 . There is a part 2 but it is recommended to play the game first before watching that one

Keeping it to games I've actually played, Dishonored just, I don't know left me cold, it functioned mechanically and I really really wanted to love it but I just wasn't enjoying it no matter how much I played it, how many different ways I tried things, thinking maybe that was my problem, I was playing it wrong so tried all the things people said was great but still nothing

Given I judge my games on a price to hours of fun I have ratio it was non existent to me, its like I could see everything everyone else was having fun with, could see what they were playing and loving but when I got to it nothing, I'm sure its a great game to some but just didn't do anything for me, got to the point I thought I must have been playing a different game to the rest of the world

I don't think I have played that many games released this year, apart from Mass Effect and Guild Wars 2. One of them is a fantastic RPG that respects its predecessors and added lore, with fun game play mechanics, varied battle system and innovative take on sidequests.

The other takes such a giant dump on everything in the last few moments that it potentially taints all that comes before and after the game. Most of the stuff that come before that abortion of a conclusion took a nose dive in quality as well, compared to the previous games. But, hey, you get to choose the color of the death ray :)

I haven't played many games from this year, and the few I did, they weren't bad.

From what I played, I guess my least favorite is Borderlands 2. The humor seemed forced a lot of the time, several characters return for no reason (namely Crazy Earl), a lot of the missions were boring and very grind-y, and the big nail for me being that glitch that got rid of all my stats about 1/2- 2/3 of the way through the game.

Biggest disappointment was Mass Effect 3, no doubt. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but with the overpriced DLCs, crap ending, your choices not mattering much in several situations, and how many characters/storylines/etc. were severely shoved to the side, it was a let down.

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

You can't make a game the worst of the year for THAT! The multiplayer was just a last minute tacked-on thing quite literally forced onto the game by the publisher otherwise they would not sell it. The developers intended this to be like Skyrim in that it is EXCLUSIVELY single-player but the publisher would have none of it and forced the multiplayer onto the game after it was all complete so they had to rush it in order for the game to be released at all. And how is the story bad? I find it's quite a good exploration of PTSD and what it really does to people and the mechanics work well for their intended purpose which is a satire of the current SpunkGargleWeeWee genre as a whole

Hence the "to boot", so it was a cherry on top of a poop cake.

I've posted here on the forums numerous times about how the story is some of the laziest writing in years and really have no intention to repeat it now. If you really want, you can easily find it in my post history. Suffice to say, the material is lifted from better source material, watered down and only finds that it has added violence and forced events on the player to shove a poorly realized plot about war and ptsd down our throats. Combined with the comments made by the developers about how it's "interactive" by making the players turn off the game if they don't want to listen to any more of their soapbox ranting, and presto: worst game of the year, followed by "most pretentious game of the year" (and here I was thinking that Journey was going to win that for so long.)

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:

You can't make a game the worst of the year for THAT! The multiplayer was just a last minute tacked-on thing quite literally forced onto the game by the publisher otherwise they would not sell it. The developers intended this to be like Skyrim in that it is EXCLUSIVELY single-player but the publisher would have none of it and forced the multiplayer onto the game after it was all complete so they had to rush it in order for the game to be released at all. And how is the story bad? I find it's quite a good exploration of PTSD and what it really does to people and the mechanics work well for their intended purpose which is a satire of the current SpunkGargleWeeWee genre as a whole

Hence the "to boot", so it was a cherry on top of a poop cake.

I've posted here on the forums numerous times about how the story is some of the laziest writing in years and really have no intention to repeat it now. If you really want, you can easily find it in my post history. Suffice to say, the material is lifted from better source material, watered down and only finds that it has added violence and forced events on the player to shove a poorly realized plot about war and ptsd down our throats. Combined with the comments made by the developers about how it's "interactive" by making the players turn off the game if they don't want to listen to any more of their soapbox ranting, and presto: worst game of the year, followed by "most pretentious game of the year" (and here I was thinking that Journey was going to win that for so long.)

You obviously have not watched the Extra credits vid I linked to. Please watch http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spec-ops-the-line-part-1 and it's associated part 2 from beginning to end BEFORE making any more posts on this subject... Unless you are one of those stuck-up reviewers who see it as merely a poor CoD clone

doggie015:

Blood Brain Barrier:
I'm not counting the generic shooters. Worst game I've played is The Walking Dead. Cliched, boring and it's not even a game.

That's an odd choice... it won Game of the Year, It's makers won studio of the year, one of it's characters won Best Performance by a Human female, it won Best adapted game and Best Downloadable game at the Spike TV Video Game Awards... That's a lot of awards voted for by the public... Would you care to elaborate as to why it does not deserve these awards?

It uses cliched and overused themes (zombies, child in distress saved by social outcast etc) to elicit emotions like wringing water from a used towel. And where's the gameplay? There was no intellectual challenge (Press X now!) and I heard that all your choices didn't matter in the end. I like the idea of being able to make choices and influence the outcome of the game, but if you're going to make a game around the mechanics of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book, don't cheat by converging all the paths in the end.

doggie015:
You obviously have not watched the Extra credits vid I linked to. Please watch http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spec-ops-the-line-part-1 and it's associated part 2 from beginning to end BEFORE making any more posts on this subject... Unless you are one of those stuck-up reviewers who see it as merely a poor CoD clone

*facepalm*

I have seen both videos. Neither helped. Extra Credits has a long history of being condescending and having lost themselves up their own asses long ago, but those videos might the pinnacle of them projecting meaning where there is none.

It's also the same damn video that everyone wanting to defend the game, but having absolutely no argumentation skills, link every single time someone criticizes the game. It's getting tedious.

SkarKrow:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

SkarKrow:

Um yeah mostly just with pokemon games it's odd, it's as if the backlight is adjusting to the screen or something dumb like that. Haven't noticed it with any other games or any 3DS games. It's not a deal breaker because I have my DSi but it is kinda annoying. Lighting is one of those things I get pissed off about really easily, it's 95% of the reasons I dislike Battlefield 3 and it's dumb engine _.

Want destructo -phsyics? Yeah? Well sorry, we made those shitty in exchange for obnoxious flashlight mechanics and bloom!

Yeah see, I like FFTA, it's enjoyable enough and can be challenging at times even though it doesn't scratch the strategy itch the same way as something like Disgaea does. I got bored of Disgaea after the second, for the record. Too much fucking grinding and healers are worthless mostly.
BUt Pokemon Conquest is pretty enjoyable, although it is abysmally easy and quite a bit of it is just busy work.

Been playing company of heroes, that's scratching my strategy itch nicely. Tis not an itch I get often mind.

Edit: Know what I'd like on 3DS? An old school Final Fantasy, not a remake, a brand new game with a brand new story, but done in the style of 3 through 6. ATB system + gorgeous sprites + gripping 40 hour plus non-angst-ridden tale = A day one buy.

I had to jump in here with that last part:

When was the last time a FF game wasn't filled to the neck with angst?

4: Cecil whining because he's used as a human weapon
6: Terra whining because she's used as a human weapon
7: Cloud whining because he thought he was used as a human weapon
8: Squall whining because he's used as a human weapon
10: Tidus whining... FULL STOP

Only ones where whining wasn't a central plot point were 9 and 12.

Haven't played much of 6 but I'll give you some ground on the topic. But none of those games are anywhere NEAR as full of pointless whiney angst as 13 was. They also had good gameplay and stories that weren't 10 rescripted for morons.

Oh and 3. 3 has like no angst. 3 is also amazing. 9 and 12 are also great, though 10 is easily my favourite in the franchise. 7 is good but overated, if any get HD remakes I'd put forth 4, 6, 8 and 9 before 7.

Squall is a prick though.

Yeah, I get a little angry when people on this site describe "Every bad FF" as "Every FF after God's gift to humanity 6". 10 is my favorite as well, with 7, 10-2, and 12 behind it.

And 13 was a crime against humanity, which Square Enix seemed to like was a good thing, so they made two more of them bastards.

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

*facepalm*

I have seen both videos. Neither helped. Extra Credits has a long history of being condescending and having lost themselves up their own asses long ago, but those videos might the pinnacle of them projecting meaning where there is none.

It's also the same damn video that everyone wanting to defend the game, but having absolutely no argumentation skills, link every single time someone criticizes the game. It's getting tedious.

Alright; I'll stop arguing with you now... It's evidently clear you are in the advanced stages of Fox News indoctrination...

Almost 100% sure none of the ones mentioned in this thread are the worst this year, you have to dig deeper then "this is popular and I dont like it".

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

*facepalm*

Alright; I'll stop arguing with you now... It's evidently clear you are in the advanced stages of Fox News indoctrination...

Thank you for proving my point. Next time you want to discuss and critique something, have something to say first.

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:

*facepalm*

Thank you for proving my point. Next time you want to discuss and critique something, have something to say first.

I had something to say! You were just too stubborn and closed-minded to hear it!

Of the games I played, Resident Evil 6, and even that wasn't offensively bad, just ended up getting stale almost immediately, along with having some of the worst pacing/difficulty curve I've ever played through. Hell, it did some things that I liked! The ability to move and shoot, not having to beat the game to unlock mercenaries and the fact that all of the playable characters had different abilities and weapons helped make them all feel different. Still didn't like it, though.

And if we're really trying to find out the worst game of the year, surely we should be looking through various shovelware titles that no self-respecting gamer would touch? No? Yea, I guess just listing Triple A titles you found disappointing is a better way to spark lively debate.

doggie015:

SpiderJerusalem:

doggie015:

I had something to say! You were just too stubborn and closed-minded to hear it!

Linking a video over and over to another person's words and then dismissing the fact that said video had been viewed and found wanting is not having something to say. It's just proof that you have no own opinion over the matter, are unable to discuss it and depend entirely on a overtly long, two part gab-fest about a game that mistakes self-importance for having something meaningful to discuss.

In my Honest opinion it was Lollipop chainsaw. The Whole idea was pretty badass, the game was funny and the whole thing was a big acid trip, but the combat sucked ass and the whole thing just started getting annoying near the end.

Also a mention of Resident Evil 6. I was disappointed per say, but I was a tiny bit let down seeing as it was my most anticipated for this year.

I'm gonna go with ACIII. It has it's moments but overall it just feels really rushed and Connor's personality is all over the place. The most frustrating part is it had so much potiential, it could have easily been GOTY, but alas it was just plain disappointing.

AnarchistFish:

Signa:

AnarchistFish:

Because it was a genuinely great game that gets disproportionate amounts of hate for a few faults

Somehow I doubt that. There's been plenty of good games out there that were especially flawed, and they don't get 1/10 the ire that ME3 got. Not even Diablo 3 got as much hate, and that game was practically broken in every way possible while being hyped for the last decade.

Because there was so much hype around it, it was such a big game and the immense successes of ME1 and ME2 were still fresh in the minds of people.

Besides, the vast majority of its criticism was about the ending. One part of the game.

So because ME 1 and 2 were such good games, 3 was automatically a good game too, despite complaints? Your point about the ending is moot, because the ending is still part of the game, and that was sour enough to ruin the whole package for people. No one would like Super Mario 64 if while fighting Bowser the game flashed "The end" in the middle of your duel with him. People would consider Ocarina of Time an awful game if you never grew up after opening the Temple of Time and Gannondorf got the triforce, ending the game. Both those games would still have their otherwise classic and flawless gameplay intact, but the ending would still destroy what that meant to the player.

You're fully welcome to like ME3, but I never played it, so I can't say how overblown the backlash was or wasn't. The fact is, I didn't play any bad games this year, so ME3 is still my submission to this thread based on the response I experienced to it.

Mass Effect 3, for shooting my favorite series right in the dick.

I wanted to like this game, I really did. But it just sucks on so many levels; Levels are short and linear as fuck, with repetitive gunplay and enemies that are recycled constantly, not to mention the stupid, stupid, "A button does everything" controls. The storyline retroactively makes huge swaths of Mass Effect 2 completely pointless (ask me how. I dare you.), and reads like something off FF.net. That's not even touching on how Shepard has gotten dumber and more oblivious as the series has progressed.

The gameplay is so stiff and artificial; combat sections exist inside a vacuum, cut off from the other parts of the game. There's no organic flow, were as in the first game, you could go from exploration to talking to space gun battle whoosh crikey fun in the span of a few minutes.

I couldn't even import most of my Shepards' the first five weeks since the game came out, due to a bug that should have been caught during the first round of beta testing.

It's a bloated, overhyped, over-produced, committee designed, dick-slap of a game, and I hate it with the fiery intensity of million Easy Bake ovens!

Amy, which is a damn shame because I tried so hard to like it. If it wasn't so ridiculously broken, it could have been something cool. I loved the approach it was trying to take, but good GOD that shit was awful in terms of gameplay and story. I really wish it had been picked up by a good studio, 'cause I think it could've added a lot to the survival horror genre. Just a huge let down.

Verkula:
Almost 100% sure none of the ones mentioned in this thread are the worst this year, you have to dig deeper then "this is popular and I dont like it".

I was about to post something similar. The vast majority of the posts in this thread are absurd. About every other person awards Borderlands 2 with "Worst Game of the Year" because they didn't like the grind or people hating on Torchlight 2 because it's a dungeon crawler/item hunt.

Back on topic, I really disliked the new Madden because I don't like football and was expecting something else.

This was such a mismash of a year for gaming.
On one hand, we had some awesome achievements in gameplay and storytelling. There was the Walking Dead game, which did what Mass Effect got horribly, horribly wrong on the character interaction aspect. There was the new XCOM, which was true to its roots while still doing just enough new stuff to be exciting and challenging again. There was Dishononered, which, while it fell flat on the story side of things, created an interesting world with great gameplay and level design. There was also Guild Wars 2, which has been the only 'classic' MMO I have ever been more invested in since World of Warcraft all those years ago.
But on the OTHER hand, it had one of the worst, most soulless CoD rip-offs yet, Medal of Honor: Warfighter. It also had It had Mass Effect 3, which, as a whole, not only talking about the ending, had some of the worst, most idiotic moments in storytelling I have ever seen in my life. So many goddamn mistakes. Also, there was Assassin's Creed 3, with its annoying gameplay and over-serious, terrible, forgot-the-original-intent-of-the-series story. We also had some incredible betrayals of older game series', such as RE6, which has completely forgotten its original survival horror intent, and gone on to be a crappy action shooter with the worst parts of survival horror(wonky controls, questionable inventory), and Hitman Absolution, which only had some tiny glimmers of Bloodlines-esque hope in between the ultra-linear, story-driven levels. Out of all of these, it's hard to tell exactly what I would choose for worst game of the year.

I'm gonna say Spec Ops: The Line as well. Now before you all jump down my throats, let me explain.
I've played very few 2012 games. Maybe I think this actually fits more in the "overrated" category, but I'm gonna post it here anyway because it was definitely not one of my favorites all year.

I think the game fails on multiple levels for me. One of its clear goals was to make you feel guilty for enjoying killing. The problem here is that I didn't enjoy the killing, mainly because it was very tedious and unrewarding. It's your typical bland 3rd person cover shooter. The game treats you like a child, as if there are no explosions and cover shooting every 5 minutes you'll turn the game off and never go back. To be honest I wanted the shooting to stop for a while so I could enjoy the atmosphere.

Which leads me into my next point. For a game that is masquerading as a bland 3rd person cover shooter to prove a point, it goes (to quote Tropic Thunder) full retard. It works too well. So well in fact, you'll probably think it is one (and you'd be right). The game is almost a Gears of War re-skin, I seriously noticed that many similarities. I have nothing against parody and irony to prove a point, but I mean the game is pretty much a bland 3rd person shooter at all times except at the very end when it pops up and says "The joke's on you I was only pretending". I feel like the joke, or in this case revelation, would have been far more effective if the actual journey was much better than it actually was. Even the writing I feel emulated the bros-at-war trope far too well. A game like Silent Hill 2 for example, is able to have that kind of subversive, reflective plot with a twist without sacrificing the journey leading up to it.

I would give this game probably a 4 or 5 out of 10 for being so utterly mediocre, but I feel it definitely has a few redeeming points, and ended up looking back semi fondly of it. For one, the setting of sand storm ridden Dubai is pretty cool and unique, and when the game isn't exploding in your face saying "look at me, look at me!" it can have a half decent mysterious atmosphere.

Anyway, it probably isn't the worst game of 2012. It might be mine because I've played very little from the year, but mostly I just find it overrated and needed a place to rant.

I see far more suggestions for games which are simply disappointing, but certainly nowhere near the 'worst' games of the year. I no longer have time to play games much anymore, so choose my games very carefully, so I haven't played a genuinely poor game since Too Human.

DayZ was the worst. It looks like shit. The zombies are pointless. The rules are ridiculous. The PvP is the lowest form of game play possible; sniping. It's full of cheaters. And lastly, it's an entire community of trolls. The only people who aren't trolls are those who are fresh meat for the trolls. Those people either metamorphose into trolls themselves or do the sensible thing and never play that pile of shit again.

What a waste of 6 weeks.

Zhukov:
Of the games released this year that I have played:

- Dragon's Dogma.

Once again, tiny slivers of potential, this time in the combat. Everything else was crap. The game looked like muddy green/brown puke. The story was shit consisting of little more than, "You are chosen one, go save world from dragon after doing fetch quests". Not a single character worthy of the term. Interface was horrific. Most of your time is spent slogging across the country side (because the quick travel system was a joke) fighting the same respawning enemies in the same places.

A fiery afterlife awaits you for this statement.

Really this isn't the year to pick a worst game, at least for me. Games I've played this year: Crusader Kings 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Spec Ops: The Line, Dishonored, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead, Football Manager 2013, Day Z (does a mod count as a game?), and Planetside 2.

Apart from Day Z and Planetside 2 exhibiting some godawful optimization (largely forgiven for their audacious design features) and Mass Effect 3 crapping the bed there at the end, these have all been absolutely amazing games. It's been a stellar years for games and I've been fortunate enough to enjoy everything that I've played. If I had to pick one? Mass Effect 3 only because it retroactively brought down the quality of the previous two games in the series with the ending and some other stupid plot choices *cough*Cerberus*cough* (I just ignored the multiplayer component). But in this scenario "worst game" does not equate to "bad game." Mass Effect 3 still exhibited great storytelling at points, some nice set pieces, and good enemy variety.

Oh, am I allowed to say Star Wars: The Old Republic Free to Play? Because that was total and utter s***. Just let me sprint ffs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked