Best Boss Battles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've noticed that I don't own enough games with proper boss battles, and I'm looking to remedy that. So, I want to know which boss fights are gaming's best? They can be from any genre or series you care to name.

This one, just the theme alone makes it probably one of the best boss battles ever (Thought the fight itself is also epic):

The best boss battle are ones that get your adrenaline pumping I find. Dark/Demon's Souls offer some of the best. Also checkout Bayonetta, Vanquish and the upcoming Metal Gear Rising. Castlevania Lords of Shadow had some damn good bosses as well. I'm also a big fan of the boss battles in JRPGs but really there is too many to list.

ShinyCharizard:
The best boss battle are ones that get your adrenaline pumping I find. Dark/Demon's Souls offer some of the best.

Demon's and Dark souls are pretty much the opposite of what I'd call "adrenaline pumping" but I'll check out your other suggestions.

Lazy:

ShinyCharizard:
The best boss battle are ones that get your adrenaline pumping I find. Dark/Demon's Souls offer some of the best.

Demon's and Dark souls are pretty much the opposite of what I'd call "adrenaline pumping" but I'll check out your other suggestions.

Fair enough. They tend to be an acquired taste.

World of Warcraft for all its faults really did have some extremely well designed boss battles. Mind you I can't speak for any content released in the last two years as I stopped playing WOW quite some time ago, but even so I have fond memories of some of those boss fights.

Not counting WOW though... hmmm... oh, I got one! Mr Freeze in Arkham City was great. Not only was he an awesome character but his boss fight was extremely well designed, forcing the player to use all the tricks they'd been learning up till that point to overpower this one chillingly powerful villain.

There can be no conversation about boss battle's that doesn't include Metal Gear Solid. Each is a very unreal but incredibly complex experience with many tricks and solutions. Examples include

The End (Metal Gear Solid 3), he's a 100+ year old sniper and the best in the business (also he can photosynthesise. It's MGS you just have to roll with it). The actually battle has you hunting him sniper vs sniper through a woods. Both masters of camouflage. He has a parrot which spots for him (and you can shoot it down and eat it), you have thermal goggles, directional sound and can try to track his footprints. Even when you figure out where he's hiding without being spotted first, you've got to try and circle round and flank him. Or you can chase him and whenever he tries to lose you, evade the attempt and run him down until he's out of stamina and can't fight through exhaustion.

Or you can just set your consoles clock a few years ahead and when you next load the save, the game will berate you for letting him die of old age.

In the same game, they have a mexican standoff, a duel, a boss battle which is so emotional I'm not even going to name who you fight.

Or how about Psycho Mantis (MGS1) who you have to

Or there's Octopus MGS4 who is a master of camo and will do everything to trick you, hiding on the ceiling, pretending to be a painting. Etc.

Or there's the final boss fight in MGS4, after all the mechanations of all the games, all the fights and plots and schemes, it comes down to this, just you and your most hated enemy fighting on the roof. As you play through the fight the music, health bars and combat styles change through all the past games in the series, until eventually both men are worn down the UI goes away and you keep on slugging each other, barely able to stand as the game seamlessly becomes the last cutscene.

What makes the MGS franchise amazing is the flexibility of solutions, the creativity and the character and story moments each fight provides (apart from the last boss fight and the fight against Vamp, MGS4 is the weakest at making them story important)

--------------------------------------------
The other game that must be mentioned is Shadow of the Colossus, which is basically just 16 huge boss fights, with immense scale, each silently conveying a beauty and emotion at the same time as frightening intensity as you scramble up the side of a 40ft monster, clinging with everything you have, until you make it to his head and start stabbing with a tiny dagger and he bucks maddly, trying to shake you off, but you keep stabbing and stabbing and stabbing until he dies.

----------------------------------------------------------

Finally, less vital, but Devil May Cry 3 had incredibly boss fights. Challenging and large scale, very hard and exciting, but mostly it had these beautiful one on one duels with your brother that looked like scenes out of the very best Samurai films. Rain tipping down, dodging blow after blow, clashing swords in the rain.

So for me a good boss fight is: A sense of importance, emotion and narrative weight, creativity and scale. All the games mentioned have HD rereleased on the 360 and PS3 I believe

Lazy:

ShinyCharizard:

I'm curious about your opinion on Demons'/Dark Souls' bosses. Once you invest yourself, they're really solid boss battles.

As for some good boss battles... Wait.

Where's Shadow of the Colossus? GO PLAY THAT FOOL, AND FIND OUT WHAT A BOSS BATTLE TRULY MEANS.

Cave Story had some awesome bosses as well, but I think it was more the music that made me think so. You want pretty much every boss in that game starting from Monster X if you're up for some good boss battles.

The first boss fight that comes to mind is actually quite a recent one. It's the Guardian boss fight from Darksiders 2. The game was alright, quite liked the first half but then I got kinda bored with it. But in about half the game you fight the Guardian. It's quite an epic boss fight with some amazing music to it! Reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Colossus, and that's never a bad thing! :)

And Zelda has many great boss fights as well. So I'm just gonna mention one or else this post would go on and on with just Zelda bosses. That boss is the Arbiters ground boss fight from Twilight Princess, can't quite remember the name of the boss. It was such a fun and fast paced boss fight, using probably my favorite item in Twilight Princess, which was way underused!

And then I'm also gonna mention Evrae from FFX. The first time i played through FFX this was the only boss I had a hard time with and I was so happy when I finally defeated her. She looked pretty cool and you had to use some extra commands with the ship to dodge and attack at the right moments!

Nyx persona 3. 13 phases , different properties , good luck . Fun battle , Awsome music, great atmosphere . Hope your ready to feel despaire .

Personally, I really enjoyed the boss fights in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Creative bosses, adrenaline-pumping music, tight controls, boss fights that are tricky without being cheap...what more could you ask for?

Zefyrix:
The first boss fight that comes to mind is actually quite a recent one. It's the Guardian boss fight from Darksiders 2. The game was alright, quite liked the first half but then I got kinda bored with it. But in about half the game you fight the Guardian. It's quite an epic boss fight with some amazing music to it! Reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Colossus, and that's never a bad thing! :)

Ahh finally I've found someone else who recognises the epicness of the Guardian fight. Kudos to you good sir. Shame the rest of the game was fairly mediocre though.

thesilentman:

Lazy:

ShinyCharizard:

I'm curious about your opinion on Demons'/Dark Souls' bosses. Once you invest yourself, they're really solid boss battles.

As for some good boss battles... Wait.

Where's Shadow of the Colossus? GO PLAY THAT FOOL, AND FIND OUT WHAT A BOSS BATTLE TRULY MEANS.

^This right here

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty much the definition of epic boss battles. The 3rd and 13th are easily the best.

ShinyCharizard:

Zefyrix:

Ahh finally I've found someone else who recognises the epicness of the Guardian fight. Kudos to you good sir. Shame the rest of the game was fairly mediocre though.

Haha, cheers! It was definitely the highlight of the game! I liked the first half though, it was some nice scenery and music. But then it all got dark and desolate.. I know, what do I expect for a game called "Darksiders"? Oh well. :)

Zefyrix:

ShinyCharizard:

Zefyrix:

Haha, cheers! It was definitely the highlight of the game! I liked the first half though, it was some nice scenery and music. But then it all got dark and desolate.. I know, what do I expect for a game called "Darksiders"? Oh well. :)

Yeah I'm with you on that. The first world was good but the land of the dead was boring, visually ugly and just dragged on forever. Pretty much ruined the rest of the game for me.

All of God of War. I'm not usually into QTEs, but it makes you feel a part of the kicking seven shades of shit out of everything. Especially Cronus, that's pretty awesome.

Darksiders definitely has a few good ones. Especially in it's 'Inventive ways to kill things with portal guns' phase.

In order:

#1: Dante vs. Vergil, final battle (Devil May Cry 3)

The music, the setup, the chance for the revenge for getting punked twice in a row. The bone breaking difficulty. THIS IS A BOSS FIGHT.

#2: Bayonetta vs. Baldur (Bayonetta)

Best boss music in gaming (IMO), and watching Baldur shrug off all of your summons one by one, and attempt to kill you with a building, a satellite laser system, and the power of God makes for a truly epic battle.

#3: Dolgare battle (Tactics Ogre: PSP)

Normally when a boss makes clones of your team for the big fight, you can expect to have the advantage of your skill sets and grinded weapons. Not this time. THEY ARE EXACT CLONES. Turning the fight into an examination of your own tactics through the game and gives you the fun question: "How would I beat my own army?"

Most recently I really liked the final boss battle in the new DMC. It's Dontay vs Vergul and it's fucking awesome. It's cool how they actually were friends at the start and then come to an impasse and have to fight, rather than DMC3's Vergil who was just a straight villain the whole time.

Not that the old Vergil was bad of course.

The last boss in Persona 4 is AMAZING. Amazing and spoilery so I won't elaborate.

I'll with Bloody Marie from Skullgirls as well. Probably one of the only fighting game bosses that is actually FUN. As well as ball crushingly difficult. UMVC3 breaks new ground by having Galactus being this absolute pushover.

This is probably my all time favourite bosses. It's the Great Mighty Poo from Conkers Bad Fur day. While it's mechanics aren't hard to learn and it's not really hard it is awesome just for the song. There are a few couple bosses in the game but this is easily the best one in it.

No More Heroes 1&2 have some really good boss fights, though some of them in 2 (Million Gunman) are just boring filler.

Rogue Galaxy also has a lot of big, exciting bosses, most of which are optional bounty missions. The game is definitely one of my favorite underrated gems.

thesilentman:
I'm curious about your opinion on Demons'/Dark Souls' bosses.

Pretty much the same as my opinion of the rest of the game: boring, and not nearly as difficult as people say. I killed the Gaping Dragon in a grand total of two tries, and after that I was done. Maybe it gets more interesting later on, but I wouldn't know.

That's easy.

Pick any boss from The Binding of Isaac. Any of them.

Two of my favorites that come to mind are;

Link Vs Ganondorf (The Wind Waker): The final fight is so damn epic. The music, the setting, the fight itself - it's just perfect.

Sora & Riku Vs Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts 2): I don't even really know why, I just love this fight. You can rely on button mashing throughout the rest of the game but this fight really does require you to block, dodge, attack and counterattack at the right moment and you can easily die from slipping up.

I tend to like bosses that are similar to the protaganist in terms of apperance/ size so it kind of make the fight equal but hard. That way to defeat that boss is being skillful at it.
Also it because they also have kick ass theme tune aswell and here are my favourite boss battle!

Dante vs Vergil in DMC3.

God, I love those boss fights.

It's one thing to have a boss fight, but it's something else to have a boss fight between 2 characters you like.

So, this is what they call a heartwarming family reunion.

You got that right.

The Knight Artorias fight in Dark Souls is pretty special if you ask me, very tough one that requires some precise timing and pulling off some risky maneuvers in order to prevent the boss from super-charging himself.

That's on my melee character, guess it might be different for a caster or ranged character.

But honestly, both Demon's & Dark Souls have some brilliant boss encounters in my opinion, certainly worth trying out.

Lazy:

thesilentman:
I'm curious about your opinion on Demons'/Dark Souls' bosses.

Pretty much the same as my opinion of the rest of the game: boring, and not nearly as difficult as people say. I killed the Gaping Dragon in a grand total of two tries, and after that I was done. Maybe it gets more interesting later on, but I wouldn't know.

The Gaping Dragon widely is considered to be the second easiest boss in the game after Pinwheel. He is deadly but he telegraphs the most out of all the bosses. You have barely scratched the surface of the game. Most of the "bosses" previously defeated become standard enemies later on in the game. If you found the game boring thats fine, but you haven't really experienced the real boss fights yet. If you have the time I'd suggest going back and at least reach Smough and Osternith(2 v 1 boss battle).

I also agree with you though, it isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Biggie and Smalls from Dark Souls
Artorias from Dark Souls
The Boss from MGS3
The Sorrow from MGS3
The first Phantom Fight from DMC1
and all the Vergil fights from DMC3

Kriea in star wars knights of the old republic 2 the sith lords. it doesn't change the gameplay in any real way and by that point the gameplay has become pretty dull and played out but hat it has is plot importance, what the fight means is more important than the gameplay or the challange. what the conflict means to the characters is what makes it the best boss fight, it make it more than a kill giant monster because we needed a boss to end the game.

A Red Robot:
The first Phantom Fight from DMC1

Really? I thought that fight was kind of crappy and limiting. Then again, my issues with it were likely exacerbated by the awful, awful fixed camera that is thus far proving to be the most sinister enemy in the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjEzg5IfgU

Inb4 horrific quality.

Jak 3 was an awesome game, a platformer and action powerblend that I replay every year when I hit the period that my PS2 becomes interesting again.

Lazy:
I've noticed that I don't own enough games with proper boss battles, and I'm looking to remedy that. So, I want to know which boss fights are gaming's best? They can be from any genre or series you care to name.

I liked the boss battles of the MGS series since they're unique and interesting. Some of them require you to think outside the box and are very memorable.

The boss battles for god of war 2 were really great as well. Gave you a sense of danger and awe

Lil' Slugger, CHAD and Larry's Lament from super meat boy were pretty good. It's a shame that there weren't more or better boss battles in that game, cause when they worked they were really good. The chapter four boss really let them all down though.
Also the Priestess from persona 3. It's the first full moon boss you fight, and it's one of the weirdest as well. Great music though.

Daystar Clarion:
Dante vs Vergil in DMC3.

God, I love those boss fights.

It's one thing to have a boss fight, but it's something else to have a boss fight between 2 characters you like.

So, this is what they call a heartwarming family reunion.

You got that right.

What did you think of the fight between them in the most recent one?

What? NONE of you guys mentioned Shadow of the Colossus?

For shame...

This is just an example of this game's repertoire of boss battles.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked