"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Metal Gear Rising, YOU CAN DODGE!?

King of Asgaard:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.

I have logged over 300 apiece in both Fallout New Vegas and fallout 3, and i never knew you could do that....

I played Fallout 3 for several hours before a friend told me the Pip-Boy would shed light on command.

When the flashlight tutorial prompt came up, something happened -- dropped my drink, knocked my keyboard over, I don't remember -- and the prompt went away before I could read it.

Those were some daaaark hallways.....

There's also something in Darksiders II that I haven't been able to figure out. Sometimes enemies get an icon over their heads, like a dark coin. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to do something to them at that time, some kind of special move, but I'm ten hours in and can't figure out what.

Smart casting in LoL was a big one for me, someone had to show me how to do it. A smaller one was in 8-bit Megaman 8, I was loving Swordman's power when I found out I could charge it and potentially run through the entire game with it.

Ever since I tried playing Fallout 3, I have a tendency to look at the controls of every game I play; so only when they don't have any form of manual am I ever really lost.

Johnnydillinger:
I must be the only person on Earth who could finish Jade Empire without realizing that there was a "slow time" ability. AND a ground attack move.

There's a what now? A what? Are you kidding me?! There's a slow time ability?! And a ground attack move? What was it called? How...When?!

How have I played that game at least three times and I have no idea what you are talking about?! WHAT?!

OT: Um...well now I feel teh dumbs. Um, mine was I never realized that in Jade Empire I didn't have to put skill points in everything...well everything I saw. So, I could do everything, but a master of none....which made the game ridiculously hard on the hard difficulty.

....Now I want to play again...

Fieldy409:
I remember once my friend was wathing me play Mass Effect one, and when I made the Mako jump he was like "What?!?! you can do that?" Then when I zoomed in with the cannon he lost his shit.

YOU CAN LEVEL UP!?!

yeah, my first play through of mass effect I spent the first 10 hours in just 2 sittings, I finished Eden prime, Feros, Noveria, and a bunch of other side quests with out even realizing I could level up I thought I could just buy new equipment... I only found out when a friend cam over and started his own play through and and actually looked at the pause menu longer than the 3 second I had done when I was just looking for the save game option. yeah I hadn't spent much time in the pause menu to busy gawking at the game. lol no wonder I had such a bitch of a time in fights!

oh and he lost his shit too when I showed him the cannon, before he was using ONLY the machine gun on the mako. Lol

Shadow of the Colossus - You can stand up on the horse.
There are probably more relevant things to talk about like discovering the fruit and lizards, but you can STAND on Agro!

The fact that in the n64 star wars episode 1 racer you can drift by holding z.Im serious i have had this game for ten years and never noticed it, despite the fact it was plastered all over the manual. Furthermore the way the sliding work seems to make the game more fun

Not technically something I didn't know, but something I keep forgetting. In Far Cry 3 you can blind fire from cover.

Months playing Star Wars Battlefront II before I realised the spacecraft could roll and spin! Took a break for about year went back and played it again. And forgot again!

Same deal with Halo Reach although that was only a couple of days before I discovered you could do more than just fly around.

Basically 'I can do a barrel roll'! Where's Slippy when you need him?

Johnny Impact:

There's also something in Darksiders II that I haven't been able to figure out. Sometimes enemies get an icon over their heads, like a dark coin. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to do something to them at that time, some kind of special move, but I'm ten hours in and can't figure out what.

I think you have to push E when that happens to trigger an execution move. It's something like that anyhow.

My friend didn't realise that having the radio on would help enemies see him even if he was stealthing in Fallout 3. I found that pretty funny as he's a really smart guy.

Klagermeister:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.

WWWWWHAAAAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy shit balls...

There are alternative weapons on vehicles on Battlefield 3. Considering it's my favorite shooter, and I play it almost every day it's pretty strange it took me multiple months to figure that out.

EDIT:

YOU CAN LOOK AT THINGS IN THE INVENTORY IN SKYRIM?!?!?!

Jeez this is a bad day for me... For the dragon claws I used to throw them out of my inventory and kick them about for ages until they landed on the correct side...

So much wasted time...

Evil Raccoon:
I CAN TURN THIS SENTRY AS I BUILD IT?!

Team fortress 2, I found this in 2011
I've been playing the game since '08.
Ouch.

Err, what do you mean, care to explain?

Euskalduna:

Evil Raccoon:

Ouch.

When you're building a sentry, you can change it's facing, as it's being built. I forget how, but I haven't played TF2 in years.

Starke:

Euskalduna:

Evil Raccoon:

Ouch.

When you're building a sentry, you can change it's facing, as it's being built. I forget how, but I haven't played TF2 in years.

I've been playing this game since it came out, Engineer is my most played class and I didn't know this.

After playing mario kart 64 for about 4 years: YOU MEAN I CAN HOP AND SKID AROUND CORNERS FOR A LITTLE BOOST?!?!

cathou:
ok, i know it look silly, but i swear it did happened. i wasnt very good at english back then, and i had no instruction manual. also internet didnt really existed

so i was playing final fantasy (the first one, when it was still fresh and new) and i was stuck at the marsh cavern because, man that game was difficult. the enemies were so strong and took so long to die...

so i was at school talking to a guy who was playing too and he asked me if i had equip my weapons

I NEED TO PRESS EQUIP BUTTON TO ACTUALLY EQUIP ARMOR AND SWORDS ?!?

so yeah i played 20 hours of final fantasy 1 without any equipement on my caracters

To be fair, the FF series as a whole has always had terrible menu designs. You have to race through panel after panel in the middle of a fight, hoping you'll get to queue up your MP-based attack in time to nuke the weakened boss before he nukes you.

Or, shit, I remember spending Final Fantasy VII going "FUUUUUU, YUNA, BREAK YOUR FUCKING LIMIT ALREADY!"

My personal derp has to be finding out that you can craft something other than health injections in FarCry 3. With me at the helm, Jason Brody's always had a full stock of ten health syringes - but nothing to help him hunt or survive a slog through tiger-infested locales.

As a result, I utterly loathed the Path of the Hunter missions.

Game: "Kill sharks with a bow, nyuck-nyuck-nyuck!"
Me: "Dafuq?! How is that even possible?!"

IamLEAM1983:

Game: "Kill sharks with a bow, nyuck-nyuck-nyuck!"
Me: "Dafuq?! How is that even possible?!"

Stand in a boat and pepper the bastards with arrows. That one you can do without needing hunting syringes.

Also, any Path of the Hunter can be completed if you kill the target with your machete.

Game: "Kill sixteen dogs with two rockets! :D"
Me: "F--- you."

Kopikatsu:

Zhukov:
Planetside 2

YOU CAN STEER THE DROP PODS?!

No more landing on cliff sides. Still haven't managed to land on any enemies though.

I saw a Galaxy and intentionally slammed into it, blowing the plane to smithereens.

Then I learned it was an allied Galaxy fully loaded with friendlies. WHOOPS.

And this is why you don't steer towards aircraft, I have personally had my liberator destroyed about eight times in two weeks by friendlies.

I didn't know you could pick up guns on my first play through of Mirror's Edge.

Sectan:

Zhukov:
YOU CAN PUSH THE LITTLE HOOD BIT UP OFF THE CLI

*ahem*

Planetside 2: YOU CAN STEER THE DROP PODS?!

No more landing on cliff sides. Still haven't managed to land on any enemies though.

I landed on on plane once. I just pissed it off, while I was treated to a fiery inferno

This is another reason why you don't steer towards aircraft. Collisions in Planetside 2 are unpredictable.

Another:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!

Fuck you Metal Gear.

I CAN HOLSTER MY WEAPONS!?

Fallout: New Vegas. God damn any game that doesn't explain how to do stuff until you look it up. see also: YOU CAN DROP STUFF!? -oblivion

MPerce:
Half Life: "YOU CAN CROUCH JUMP?"

Not a major ability, but it's required to get through certain parts of the game. I spent an hour roaming the halls of Black Mesa for a secret vent or tunnel or something when all I had to do was crouch jump over a box.

Shit. dude. My friend just bought Half Life and we were playing it together

I actually can't believe we had the EXACT same experience as you....I actually said to her as a joke "You should try crouch jumping over that box, it would be hilarious if it worked"

she tried and it worked first time...

We just stared at the screen like ._. for what felt like hours....CROUCH JUMPING SHOULDN'T BE SOMETHING YOU USE AS A PUZZLE, VALVE. THAT'S A COMPLETE DICK MOVE

I had plenty of those moments in Dark Souls.

What? I can stack my favourite magic and get more charges?

Someone I know actually beat the Stray Demon with his non-upgraded starting weapon. At first, he sobbed and cried out of relief and significant emotional stress levels before and after he finally beat it. When I told him he's supposed to upgrade his gear, the sobbing turned into wailing and he decided to give the wikis some attention, even though he was in terrible fear of having things spoiled for him. Ah, gamers these days.

Much earlier, there was the ass-mode that is crouch jump (as mentioned above). Yeah, crouch jumping is something that has changed me for life. So much despair, so much terror. No matter the game, I always see if I can crouch jump. Always happy when I can't.

Generic4me:
YOU CAN KILL AND EAT THE ANIMALS?! -MGS3.

Yes, past me, you can eat the animals.

The game is called Snake Eater I knew that and I haven't played a single MGS game

jackinmydaniels:
Metal Gear Rising, YOU CAN DODGE!?

Aye.

They only could have added some more lulz to the obvious trolling by either adding a very quick or very hidden FMV or scripted scene/QTE at the beginning or an end boss that laughed in your face, actually telling you that you could have dodged pretty much since the beginning. Or... imagine some other, random Psycho Mantis guy going into your menus and highlighting the dodge move... erasing it if you haven't already picked it up by the time you face him in mortal confrontation.

Just had something along those lines happen to us in Tomb Raider yesterday.

Oh. Yes, please, Madam or Sir. Might I have the upgrade that allows me not to fall to my death with the grace of a brick? Thank you very much and have a good day.

Darren716:

Generic4me:
YOU CAN KILL AND EAT THE ANIMALS?! -MGS3.

Yes, past me, you can eat the animals.

The game is called Snake Eater I knew that and I haven't played a single MGS game

Can't wait for Metal Gear: Not So Solid Stool - Bear Grylls Edition.

"YOU CAN FLIP THE V TO THE GUARDS?"
Mirror's Edge. What a game.

I wish I had a cool one to share, but sadly, reading the freaking manual was the first skill I picked up after learning to read at all.

King of Asgaard:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.

What? I have like, 400 hours on that game and I never knew. Holy fuck that would have made getting irradiated for moria SO MUCH EASIER.

"A Pokemon's Nature effects their stats?"

Dead Space 2: THE RIVET GUN HAS AN ALT FIRE THAT BLASTS THE RIVETS OUT OF WHERE THEY'RE STUCK LIKE BULLETS?!
I set up many traps with it on my second playthrough.

While playing through Dead Space 3, I didn't know I had a roll if you clicked the L-bumper. Even after the game specifically told me, I forgot again because I never really needed it, until accidentally hitting it in a fight near the end...fucking snow beast was a pain in the ass without dodge.

And, Dark Souls: "I'll put all of my points into STR and END! I'll be able to carry all the strong weapons! Wait...What's this 'scaling' crap I'm hearing about?"

King of Asgaard:

You can also open the XBOX menu right before the timer for the Wait function begins, and the hours fly by super quickly. Like 24 in-game hours will go by in about five seconds. I believe the same is true for Skyrim. I use that to restock merchant gold faster so I can sell more junk.

Anathrax:
Kingdom Hearts 2. My first playthrough, The Castle that Never Was. I CAN SWITCH MY MAIN KEYBLADE?!

Was still fun, beating the game with the starting keyblade though.

How could you...you unlocked a new keyblade after literally every world you completed. It even has its own screen that comes up and tells you about it before you continue the game. How could you have not known about them? Were you playing with your eyes closed?

waj9876:
A more recent one was "I CAN DIG A HOLE BEHIND ME TO GET MORE MONEY FROM THE MONEY ROCKS!?" Animal Crossing.

IF YOU PLANT BELLS IN A GLOWING HOLE THE TREE THAT GROWS THERE BECOMES A MONEY TREE!?!? (Suck it Tom Nook)

Another Animal Crossing one: YOU CAN PLAY CLASSIC NES GAMES IN YOUR HOUSE WITH THE RIGHT FURNITURE!?!? (Many long hours were wasted playing balloon flight)

The Night Shade:
When i was a kid, in MGS 1 I didn't know that i could use lorazepam to stop the sniper rifle from shaking and then i felt like a badass because i was doing thing the "hard way" without even realizing it.

lol "lorazepam". If I remember correctly it was called "diazepam".

King of Asgaard:

This and that there was a hot key system.

I can promote my party members to make them waaaay more powerful?! This was after what was probably the 50th attempt on the boss, Chaos, a giant robot who could one shot almost everyone in my party and only took about 1-2 dmg.

Ya, turns out that's a pretty core mechanic to the game but that was in my first few years of gaming when I was still pretty stupid.

Klagermeister:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.

+1 for this. I accidentally hit the button one day and pretty much lost my shit.

Jmp_man:

waj9876:
A more recent one was "I CAN DIG A HOLE BEHIND ME TO GET MORE MONEY FROM THE MONEY ROCKS!?" Animal Crossing.

IF YOU PLANT BELLS IN A GLOWING HOLE THE TREE THAT GROWS THERE BECOMES A MONEY TREE!?!? (Suck it Tom Nook)

Another Animal Crossing one: YOU CAN PLAY CLASSIC NES GAMES IN YOUR HOUSE WITH THE RIGHT FURNITURE!?!? (Many long hours were wasted playing balloon flight)

Balloon Fight is such a good game! I actually got the actual physical NES cart at a Goodwill the other day.

I CAN CHANGE GUNS?!

Me, about 3/4s of the way into my first playthrough of Mass Effect and finally discovering how you changed weapons in battle. Up until then I had been using nothing but pistols.

... I still just used increasingly powerful pistols after that though, I hated the rest of the guns. ME2's controls were so much better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked