Aggregate of FAVORITE all-time games lists

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

That list is sad beyond belief really.

I think it would of been better if they just did this in segments between PC crowd and console gamers..the lists would of had been way different and interesting to see.

lacktheknack:
>Frog Fractions doesn't even register

Well, that just won't do at all! D:

I did my part :D

Gah, reading that list just made me wish Cpt_Oblivious would come back and do another site-wide aggregate - I've considered just doing it in his absence, but I'm aware of how much work that would actually take :P list itself is pretty standard for what it is - no real surprises at all, just a bunch of super popular games with a bias towards the latest generation. I will say I find it a little weird that Mass Effect 2 is always at the top of these things, though.

Note for internet stalkers: Harrison isn't my real surname

THX for linking that site.

Got carried away and made a top 50 lol. http://www.favslist.com/users/Trevor-Howden/3859/pages

Well, I might as well share my contribution as well. I have to say, I think this is the most accurate top games list I've ever made.

As for the results, I can't say I'm surprised. It's a lot of the same titles that typically top these sorts of lists. I think all the animosity over The Last of Us placing so high is just because of how new it is.

DarkhoIlow:

I think it would of been better if they just did this in segments between PC crowd and console gamers..the lists would of had been way different and interesting to see.

You seem to be implying that PC gamers don't play consoles, or that none of their favorite games would happen to be console/multi-platform titles.

http://www.favslist.com/users/Jacob-Campion/3872/lists/4 <mine

Although for some reason it's only displaying the top 5.

I really couldn't decide how to rank them. Does 500 hours of enjoying a game count for more than 4 hours of absolute gold? I don't really know.

There are a few childhood favourites on there, like Spyro the dragon. Not sure how well they hold up these days, but I've got fond memories of them, so they make the list.

Planescape Torment being 79 and Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn being 119 is... despicable.

These are the best RPGs ever given to video gaming, passed down by the gods of black isle. How the fuck are they farther down than pokemon: the sequel: the remake (HG/SS) or dragon age: we wanted to be baldur's gate and failed? I'm surprised so many different pokemons are on the list, considering they're all the same fucking game.

Would definitely like a pc/platform split to see how they'd differ. I'd wager a lot of the RPG classics would be much higher. Top 10 in particular is fairly questionable: Red Dead Redemption? Really? San Andreas was a better GTA game, as was saints row 2. TLoU? It's not an awful game or anything, it's just... not on par with most of the other classics that are highly rated. Gameplay needed some work, voice acting needed some work, pacing needed some work. I could see top 50 or something, but not #2 ahead of so many better games :/

Yeah, I would make my list, but I know in my heart of hearts that at least one dude will go "Why isn't my favorite game at number X?". Because apparently nobody understands that lists are subjective.

Also, this is just a popularity contest that doesn't really add anything to the overall discussion of gaming other than comments to the effect of "Why isn't my game at number 1?". That's the thing, you guys are just wasting your time with this when you could either be playing games or be involved in a more substantial topic.

I'm only going to explain my top 5...I may or may not do the other 20.

http://www.favslist.com/users/Bimmy-Lee/3865/lists/4

Here's what I've got so far. This kind of held my attention most of the night but...in a weird on-and-off sort of way. I'll probably but more info on the other games that I listed. My top 25 games is likely to change in the next few weeks...or days...or hours...

Here's my list:

http://www.favslist.com/users/Chris-Sorum/3893/lists/4

Just found out I was the first person ever to rank WipEout. Wow.

Very difficult to make a definitive list though. After I made it, I remembered games such as Secret of Mana that probably would have made it. I might edit the list later.

IceP42:

btw Konami, where the hell is Suikoden VI??

To be honest, I didn't even play Suikoden IV and V. I heard a lot of bad stuff about the forth, so I didn't play that one and its follow-up. Didn't want to destroy the series' magic :<

DarkhoIlow:

most of my favorite games are cross platform

KingsGambit:
What a terrible list. If that is indicative of the actual gaming public, it answers the question why AAA publishers are producing and selling shit. Baldur's Gate II 147, Mirror's Edge, 101 (also ahead of XCOM:EU, UT, BG&E, SS2, Monkey Island 2.

I cannot give that list any legitimacy, it would make me weep for gaming as a whole. I suspect it was filled out overwhelmingly by console gamers under twenty.

by all means what should be on top?

IceP42:

PS: This list is an aggregate of all gamers lists/opinions, so there is no point on arguing about its validity. No one can like it.
With that said, "The Last of Us" cannot stay number 1. We (older gamers, I guess) need to make it right!!

like I know this is going to sound whiny but can we not be those people for once? can we just not fuckin get out panties in a twist because of some false sense of superiority of taste? even if it is justified in some ways?

Fox12:

Hero of Lime:
I submitted mine. Kinda amazed/disappointed that Last of Us is winning by a large margin. :/

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo. Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and FF7 seem to be doing fine as well, which pleases me. TLoU isn't the best game ever made, but they could do much worse.

Uhmmm

Go play CoD 1 and 2. And Halo 1 at least. Come back. Then.

Or a more logical response it:
Games are subjective. COMPLETELY subjective. TLOU is a great game IMO. In top 10? Nope. Is CoD 1 better IMO? Yes.
If someone says tomorrow, and they played both TLOU and lets say freacking Sacred 3 and they say they prefer Sacred 3? Then that is completely valid.

What is the best game ever made?
STALKER.

Charcharo:

STALKER.

Right on, man. A list that isn't topped with a S.T.A.L.K.E.R game isn't a list at all, it's drivel!

Ahem.

Aside from my love of that game series clouding my consideration of such a list, I'll whip up a listy of my own, and throw it to the masses shortly.

(As an aside, Charcharo, which of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games did you like the best?)

the December King:

Charcharo:

STALKER.

Right on, man. A list that isn't topped with a S.T.A.L.K.E.R game isn't a list at all, it's drivel!

Ahem.

Aside from my love of that game series clouding my consideration of such a list, I'll whip up a listy of my own, and throw it to the masses shortly.

(As an aside, Charcharo, which of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games did you like the best?)

Sad thing is I am still waiting an activation email :P...

Yup a list without STALKER ANYWHERE in its top whatever is not a list at all :D!

As for your question mate... uhmmm... I... cant... choose...
*Head explodes*

I find it impossible to pick my personal favorite games. Newer games are better due to the devs, tech and tools getting better over time. To me, it's best to consider the era a game was released in when judging its quality (rosey tints are ok).

Being as objective as I can be about games I've played over the years, I'd say Mario 64 is the best game ever for its time. Despite it not being on my non-existent personal faves top 10 list. That game was pure quality whilst being a game changer for the industry and pretty much flawless.

Wing commander 3 convinced me PC was "where it's at".

Games like Castle Master and Daggerfall sparked my imagination and took gaming to the next level for me.

Gauntlet is the reason I get excited for co-op games more than any other, despite having no friends to play them with.

Could I list even these, a tiny selection of my beloved games, in order of my favorite? Nope. No way.

Vault101:

KingsGambit:
What a terrible list. If that is indicative of the actual gaming public, it answers the question why AAA publishers are producing and selling shit. Baldur's Gate II 147, Mirror's Edge, 101 (also ahead of XCOM:EU, UT, BG&E, SS2, Monkey Island 2.

I cannot give that list any legitimacy, it would make me weep for gaming as a whole. I suspect it was filled out overwhelmingly by console gamers under twenty.

by all means what should be on top?

There's no right answer for that, I don't know what should be on top. I can only say what shouldn't be at the bottom or at the very least, lower down than games that are anywhere from mediocre to awful.

I freely admit however that as an aggregate, whether or not I or any one (or ten) people agree with it or not, it likely indicates a broader picture of the preferences of the gaming community (at least whatever snapshot of the community the aggregate represents (800 gamers?)). I did say that it could go some way to explaining why AAA publishers are producing what they do. Irrespective of quality, objective or subjective, if that many gamers genuinely believe that Uncharted 2 is a better game than Planescape: Torment (random picks for illustration only, not a statement on these in particular) then it explains why Uncharted games are getting produced with AAA budgets and Tides of Numeneria had to get Kickstarted.

There's no question every gamer has differing tastes or different experiences of growing up playing different things. It just makes *me* sad to see tho. The games I get offered are because whether I agree with it or not, those are the folks to whom the industry caters. I don't pretend my views are any more valid or valuable than anyone else's (after all CoD still makes Activision billions without any help from me) but I'm sad that I'm in a minority (at least in terms of new releases that appeal).

I'll grant too that there are quite a few on the list to which I will nod in agreement. I guess I could look at it as a push to play the ones I haven't that beat out those I have. And the fact I haven't made my list doesn't help my cause either. And in fairness, I don't watch 90% of films that come out nor listen to 99% of new music. Maybe I just haven't adjusted to reality.

Curse you for making me question so much! (Not really curses, honest! In fact, *mystical hand gesture* blessing blessing peace for you). Pwned in one sentence, I'm gonna go now. :-P

KingsGambit:

Agreed. The only way to have legitimacy is if only people who played on all platforms were to vote. If you started gaming 5 years ago you have no bizz voting.

Predictably there are a lot of games on the overall list that don't make sense to me. Mass Effect 2 as (currently) number 1? Right.

My choice for Nr. 1 is and will likely always be the original Fallout.
Stuff that I would've expected to see there is Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Doom II, System Shock 2, Diablo 2 and Quake. While I've never given Planescape: Torment a proper chance, I feel that should probably have been a lot further up than it is.

This list makes little sense... Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 all take up an individual spot, and then later on there's a spot for the trilogy as a whole. Am I missing something here?

Also, I'm not going to register to a site just to make a favourites list.

Arnoxthe1:

Honestly, I'd rather see a legitimately great game like that win then COD or Halo.

Say what you want about Halo 4. Say what you you want about Halo: Reach. And say what you want about Halo: ODST, but I'm not going to stand for such nonsense talk as this about Halo: CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3.

DISCLAIMER: Halo 3's campaign was rather meh.[/quote]

The entirety of Halo 2 was meh. Halo 3 was actually somewhat redeeming in it's level design by being more open and letting you choose the method you wanted to approach the situation compared to Halo 2's never ending corridors.

Halo 2's success stemmed entirely from the hype generated via H:CE and due to Xbox Live. It's amazing people are so quick to persecute bad games, but Bungie's incompetence and greed gets a pass when it comes to Halo 2, but I guess it has been so long that people just don't care anymore.

I honestly hope they port Halo 2 exactly as it was with the Master Chief Collection for the X1, just so that when people play it, people will be in shock at how awful the balance, the glitches, the aim-assist, etc truly was.

/end bitter rant

Guy from the 80's:
Agreed. The only way to have legitimacy is if only people who played on all platforms were to vote. If you started gaming 5 years ago you have no bizz voting.

I love your name. :-) (Technicality tho, the apostrophe is not needed there :-P)

Smilomaniac:
Predictably there are a lot of games on the overall list that don't make sense to me. Mass Effect 2 as (currently) number 1? Right.

My choice for Nr. 1 is and will likely always be the original Fallout.
Stuff that I would've expected to see there is Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Doom II, System Shock 2, Diablo 2 and Quake. While I've never given Planescape: Torment a proper chance, I feel that should probably have been a lot further up than it is.

AuronFtw:
Planescape Torment being 79 and Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn being 119 is... despicable.

These are the best RPGs ever given to video gaming, passed down by the gods of black isle. How the fuck are they farther down than pokemon: the sequel: the remake (HG/SS) or dragon age: we wanted to be baldur's gate and failed? I'm surprised so many different pokemons are on the list, considering they're all the same fucking game.

Would definitely like a pc/platform split to see how they'd differ. I'd wager a lot of the RPG classics would be much higher. Top 10 in particular is fairly questionable: Red Dead Redemption? Really? San Andreas was a better GTA game, as was saints row 2. TLoU? It's not an awful game or anything, it's just... not on par with most of the other classics that are highly rated. Gameplay needed some work, voice acting needed some work, pacing needed some work. I could see top 50 or something, but not #2 ahead of so many better games :/

I think you have both summed up my issues with it. Some of the greatest games ever made are many places lower than titles whose inclusion I can't really comprehend.

However, further to an earlier post, I decided that I couldn't very well complain if I didn't at least do my part. So my part I did. Whether it makes an overall difference or not remains to be seen tho is highly doubtful. As an aside, it was bloody hard to make that list. I'd have been happier if I could break it down by genre.

I think the difficulty comes from my having 2 decades, 3 Segas, 4 Nintendos, 2 XBoxes, 2 Playstations, 2 Handhelds and 15 years on the PC (with the Amiga prior to that) to draw on. Someone who's never played UT or AvP2 will inevitably believe that CoD is the best MP shooter *ever*. Someone who's never played Fallout 1 or 2 won't know whether or not they're better than 3. Gamers who've never played RA2: Yuri's Revenge or WIII: Frozen Thrones will have missed out on the best RTSs ever. And those that did aren't filling out that list.

KingsGambit:

Guy from the 80's:

I love your name. :-) (Technicality tho, the apostrophe is not needed there :-P)

Thank you <3

Well i did my part, might as well show me top 5, unless theres a war to show all 25

http://www.favslist.com/users/Ben-A/3827/lists/4

Damn people and their subjective opinions! How dare "insert game I like" not be higher on the list.

Mass Effect 2 being the top is odd to me, though. Maybe I've just no idea on how the fanbase reacts to the series, maybe I should bother getting into the first one on a lower difficulty.

I now blame Topic Creator for making Mass Effect 2 the top listed right now. Just joking. I don't want to become like someone who clearly think the PC master race and the nostalgia-goggled, 90's gaming era is all that matters.

I am a tad simpler. For example, I liked Portal. Then I liked Portal 2 even more since it improved upon what made the original great. I am not one who thinks the original is better simply because of the shock value it gave during the time, but one that keeps on improving from the original and somehow getting less recognition.

Too bad my favorite games like Perspective, & Five Nights at Freddy's (understandable since FNAF is new) are not in Favslist records. I had to create pages for them and waiting for them to consider it in the video game list.

http://www.favslist.com/users/Rafael-Regal/3935/lists/4

Hero of Lime:
I submitted mine. Kinda amazed/disappointed that Last of Us is winning by a large margin. :/

It's a sign of the times. The fact that they choose a "new shiny thing" is also indicative of a very young age. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game. it's one of the best games of recent years... but thats just it, recent years, and that isn't saying much.

xPixelatedx:

Hero of Lime:

It's a sign of the times. The fact that they choose a "new shiny thing" is also indicative of a very young age. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game. it's one of the best games of recent years... but thats just it, recent years, and that isn't saying much.

It's also a sign of times to consider that the best games are the games of each of our specific generation, aka Nostalgia. Let's all get along and consider that everyone's favorite games are correct and that rankings in games are purely subjective, if not biased.

Also, I am pretty happy with any game on the game of all time as long as it's not another FPS. <- Subjective

I just got done submitting mine: http://www.favslist.com/users/Jack-Lawrie/3940/lists/4

For the reviews, I couldn't be bothered writing anything comprehensive for each one of my top 25, so I decided to just list a cool thing you can do in each game, starting with Metal Gear Solid 3's hilarious acknowledgement of proxy cannibalism. I ended up compiling 40 games including honourable mentions and still managed to miss a few noteworthy titles (that would have easily cracked my top 25) like Portal and the Arkham games. I guess that's telling of just how hard it is to rank games when you've played so many.

Also, why are so many people bleating about their favourite games not cracking the top? Leaving aside how insecure it is to get upset over a subjective list, there's a perfectly good reason why so many of the top games are modern games. It's not just because new games are better than you give them credit for, granddad, but because older games pre-date the size of the current market. Of course more people are going to vote for Mass Effect 2 than Baldur's Gate; they don't hate Baldur's Gate, it's just that it came out before most of them were born.

I don't really understand the huge ratings for Skyrim. I guess if it's your first Elder Scrolls game...my first was Daggerfall, but I think Morrowind was the peak. It blended perfectly with humour, things to do, freedom, story. This is my opinion of course, but I thought both Oblivion and Skyrim were pale in comparison. Maybe I'm getting too old for this...

I figured I might as well do one: http://www.favslist.com/users/Sam-Levy/3952/lists/4

It makes me sad No One Lives Forever 2 has the same number of votes as Warhammer Space Marine. And that I'm the only vote for XIII.

The Last of Us is number 3? Filthy casuals, everything is ruined forever, no taste these days...

Majora's Mask is #19? Maybe there is hope after all...

Deus Ex and Fallout: New Vegas at 40 and 41 respectively is disgusting considering Fallout 3 is number fucking 11.

Charcharo:
STALKER.

Can't disagree there. It was second on my list only because I couldn't bear to put Arcanum any where else but the top, even though it is the inferior game.

edit: Oh man, poor Monaco. Ranked 2419th. And such a fine game as well...

GiantRaven:

Charcharo:
STALKER.

Can't disagree there. It was second on my list only because I couldn't bear to put Arcanum any where else but the top, even though it is the inferior game.

edit: Oh man, poor Monaco. Ranked 2419th. And such a fine game as well...

It is a popularity, marketing and hype contest. So yeah :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked