Nintend switch has Standard X1 Chip released in 2013.

Pages PREV 1 2

Translation: Nintendo has been dominating the news cycle and the Switch looks to be doing well (due to rumors of them doubling production due to demand), which is something that gamers can't stand. Maybe the power argument would hold up if there were any sign of developers actually using hardware creatively instead of just using the same, deadend brute force method.

I can't believe it's 2017 and this is a conversation people are having. The Switch has the processing power of an outdated tablet and the other consoles haven't even hit 1080p or 60fps reliably let alone both at the same time.

Regardless, tech isn't everything. If the Switch builds a library so I'm not spending $360 to play Zelda I'd be interested. Despite not being all that interested in the Wii or Wii U, I'm still a fan of Nintendo and my N64 gets regular use.

JUMBO PALACE:
I can't believe it's 2017 and this is a conversation people are having. The Switch has the processing power of an outdated tablet and the other consoles haven't even hit 1080p or 60fps reliably let alone both at the same time.

Regardless, tech isn't everything. If the Switch builds a library so I'm not spending $360 to play Zelda I'd be interested. Despite not being all that interested in the Wii or Wii U, I'm still a fan of Nintendo and my N64 gets regular use.

To be fair, the PS4 has been supporting 1080p on most games, and the Pro can easily do that with 60fps. Also, the "checkerboard" 4K rendering technique is almost indistinguishable from native 4K unless comparing side by side at close distance.

I don't need godly specs but I certainly could do with BETTER specs than the Switch has put out, at least thus far. Some act like graphics or specs don't make good games and you are right.....now try and get BOTW to run on the Nintendo Wii. Specs provide the playground for developers to put their toys in, if you ain't got enough room for a sandbox of a certain size it is unlikely it will happen in the visual splendour originally envisioned. BOTW has an art style saving it relentlessly, if BOTW was developed FOR the Switch I'm sure it'd look great, if it was developed for the other consoles or PC it could look OUTSTANDING, like establishing a flag as a game of impeccable visuals and art married together to stand the test of time good.

That kind of kickass feeling seeing a games art go hand in hand with tech that does it justice is why I harp on Nintendo always pulling punches.

We get it people, the handheld in console's clothing isn't as strong as your privilege computers. Get over it.

Fonejackerjon:

I Know they make great games but are utterly shit at hardware. They need to wake up and open their eyes, Nintendo go software only ffs!

So bad that they're the forerunner to many of the features we see on Sony and Microsoft consoles.

On topic, Eurogamer seems to provide a far better analysis of the situation than the Escapist's witchhunt mentality fueled by a community filled with too many angsty teens.

I've limited knowledge of the Shield. But from their analysis, they seemed to identify that the Switch still runs far better than the Nvidia Shield, despite being an uncustomized chip.

However, it still looks like blatant false advertising. Which leads me to wonder if this'll be another situation akin to the lawsuit with the 970.

And as for the value.. A quick google search only showed me handhelds using a Tegra 4, and not an X1. Utilizing an X1 for a handheld would be valued higher than utilizing an X1 for a streaming device. Going to reiterate my limited knowledge of the Shield. I've never looked into it, as I've never had a need for a streaming device, nor the want to play PC games (other than Hearthstone) on a handheld.

CritialGaming:
Either by making it powerful enough to run 60fps 720p console games, or by having a battery powerful enough to support decent play sessions, or how about putting the charge cable in the TOP of the system!?

At PAX East it was announced that MarioKart 8 Deluxe (or whatever the Switch version of MK is named) will run at 60fps, both docked and undocked, it will go down to 30fps when docked if you play local multiplayer more than 2 people. Below in spoiler are 3 sources, 2 first ones claim what I wrote while the third one sais it doesn't know for sure if the FPS is 60 when handheld. But that would mean most games in the future will run at 60fps? Or that at least the game makers have the posibility to chose.

On the charging at the bottom I agree a little. The charging is there because when you dock it, it charges at the same time as switching the screen to the TV. I'm no tech guru, but it shouldn't be too hard to make a second chargingoutlet at the top? Then again it's very seldom I play with the Switch standing on it's own and when not docked I play it as a handheld, which means the chargin at top or bottom doesn't matter. The bigger problem to this might come in the future when/if Youtube, Netflix and similar apps come to the system and you want to place it on a table to watch something. Unless the battery life in those cases last 4+hours.

Guffe:

CritialGaming:
Either by making it powerful enough to run 60fps 720p console games, or by having a battery powerful enough to support decent play sessions, or how about putting the charge cable in the TOP of the system!?

At PAX East it was announced that MarioKart 8 Deluxe (or whatever the Switch version of MK is named) will run at 60fps, both docked and undocked, it will go down to 30fps when docked if you play local multiplayer more than 2 people. Below in spoiler are 3 sources, 2 first ones claim what I wrote while the third one sais it doesn't know for sure if the FPS is 60 when handheld. But that would mean most games in the future will run at 60fps? Or that at least the game makers have the posibility to chose.

On the charging at the bottom I agree a little. The charging is there because when you dock it, it charges at the same time as switching the screen to the TV. I'm no tech guru, but it shouldn't be too hard to make a second chargingoutlet at the top? Then again it's very seldom I play with the Switch standing on it's own and when not docked I play it as a handheld, which means the chargin at top or bottom doesn't matter. The bigger problem to this might come in the future when/if Youtube, Netflix and similar apps come to the system and you want to place it on a table to watch something. Unless the battery life in those cases last 4+hours.

With the Wii U Gamepad, it does have a charging port on the bottom and the top. It seems like they put more thought into the Wii U than they did the Switch.

Kibeth41:

On topic, Eurogamer seems to provide a far better analysis of the situation than the Escapist's witchhunt mentality fueled by a community filled with too many angsty teens.

I've limited knowledge of the Shield. But from their analysis, they seemed to identify that the Switch still runs far better than the Nvidia Shield, despite being an uncustomized chip.

It runs so well that they had to resort to bilinear filtering in Zelda to get playable framerates ... in 2017.

https://youtu.be/9yFON2UON3k?t=2m20s

/smh

Guffe:

CritialGaming:

Or you could just put the unit into the dock upside down?

CritialGaming:

That would put the heat pipe and fan exhaust down.

Which is probably a bad.

WeepingAngels:

With the Wii U Gamepad, it does have a charging port on the bottom and the top. It seems like they put more thought into the Wii U than they did the Switch.

What do you take out/remove to do that? I mean, there isn't a lot of space to play with in there.

altnameJag:

WeepingAngels:

What do you take out/remove to do that? I mean, there isn't a lot of space to play with in there.

What do you mean by take out/remove? You take the power cord and plug it into the top or you can plug the same cord into the dock and it will then charge from the bottom of the Gamepad. The Gamepad has two charging ports, one on bottom and one on top. Here are some pictures:

Bottom port (charge using dock): https://www.google.com/search?q=wii+u+gamepad+charging+port&tbm=isch&imgil=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM%253A%253BW86hcreE_nOySM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ign.com%25252Fboards%25252Fthreads%25252Fthe-wii-u-gamepads-mysterious-connector.452746523%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM%253A%252CW86hcreE_nOySM%252C_&usg=__O_RhCUeI_tKQ6XXYxNQofZulTy4%3D&biw=1920&bih=981&ved=0ahUKEwjG9ou8z-bSAhWO14MKHX99BfoQyjcIoAE&ei=UpnQWMaFHo6vjwT_-pXQDw#imgdii=uDPFxRkDMsRXMM:&imgrc=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM:

Top Port: https://www.google.com/search?q=wii+u+gamepad+charging+port&tbm=isch&imgil=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM%253A%253BW86hcreE_nOySM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ign.com%25252Fboards%25252Fthreads%25252Fthe-wii-u-gamepads-mysterious-connector.452746523%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM%253A%252CW86hcreE_nOySM%252C_&usg=__O_RhCUeI_tKQ6XXYxNQofZulTy4%3D&biw=1920&bih=981&ved=0ahUKEwjG9ou8z-bSAhWO14MKHX99BfoQyjcIoAE&ei=UpnQWMaFHo6vjwT_-pXQDw#imgrc=NBFeKH1N_0_pOM:

They must have thought about how people would use it. During play, plug it in at the top and if you are just using it for maps, Netflix, etc..., dock it and use it as a second screen. It's obvious to me that the Switch designers had one goal, to make a tablet with controllers and everything else was not a priority.

altnameJag:

CritialGaming:

Which is probably a bad.

The dock is a hunk of plastic, simply open up the bottom of the dock so the vent port would be clear to blow out. Or just don't design the unit like a twit in the first damn place.

WeepingAngels:

altnameJag:

WeepingAngels:

What do you mean by take out/remove? You take the power cord and plug it into the top or you can plug the same cord into the dock and it will then charge from the bottom of the Gamepad. The Gamepad has two charging ports, one on bottom and one on top. Here are some pictures:

*snip*

Take out/replace in the Switch, not the larger WiiU gamepad. I've seen a couple videos where they open one up. Not a lot, or any, unused space.

CritialGaming:

altnameJag:

CritialGaming:

Which is probably a bad.

The dock is a hunk of plastic, simply open up the bottom of the dock so the vent port would be clear to blow out. Or just don't design the unit like a twit in the first damn place.

Was talking about in general, not just with the dock. Like if you're someone who'd rest the Switch on your stomach when you played it. Or the simple fact the heat rises, so why make things harder on yourself?

altnameJag:

WeepingAngels:

altnameJag:

*snip*

Take out/replace in the Switch, not the larger WiiU gamepad. I've seen a couple videos where they open one up. Not a lot, or any, unused space.

That's 100% on Nintendo as they should have designed it with 2 charging ports in mind. Like I said though, I don't think this tablet was well thought out.

Aiddon:
Translation: Nintendo has been dominating the news cycle and the Switch looks to be doing well (due to rumors of them doubling production due to demand), which is something that Sony and Microsoft fanboys can't stand. Maybe the power argument would hold up if there were any sign of developers actually using hardware creatively instead of just using the same, deadend brute force method.

fixed that for you.

true gamers would just have fun playing their games and wouldn't give a shit.

Aiddon:
Translation: Nintendo has been dominating the news cycle and the Switch looks to be doing well (due to rumors of them doubling production due to demand), which is something that gamers can't stand. Maybe the power argument would hold up if there were any sign of developers actually using hardware creatively instead of just using the same, deadend brute force method.

The power argument entirely holds up when the biggest third-party AAA game being released is a port from late 2011; Bethesda can't even port the updated special edition...

Avnger:

Aiddon:

The power argument entirely holds up when the biggest third-party AAA game being released is a port from late 2011; Bethesda can't even port the updated special edition...

Their horribly buggy engine wouldn't have anything at all to do with that would it?

Let's face it - hardware as it stands now is much more powerful than we really need. Devs need to learn how to use what's available more efficiently. The power of a given console shouldn't really be a limitation at this point.

CritialGaming:

You know what...
I hadn't even thought about that xD
Damn I feel narrow minded right now!

distortedreality:

Avnger:

Aiddon:

Their horribly buggy engine wouldn't have anything at all to do with that would it?

Let's face it - hardware as it stands now is much more powerful than we really need. Devs need to learn how to use what's available more efficiently. The power of a given console shouldn't really be a limitation at this point.

You didn't address the fact that Bethesda is the only major publisher even really bothering. If it was simply Bethesda's engine that was the issue, Ubisoft, EA, et al would be throwing games onto the market as well.

As for the devs failing to program efficiently, coulda, woulda, shoulda. You can make the argument that they're failing by not doing so, but at the end of the day, they're not doing so. If the Switch is underpowered as far as the devs programming practices go, that's all that matters to them. Developers aren't going to suddenly change their ways because Ninty decided to not keep their console up to spec with the rest of the market.

hanselthecaretaker:

JUMBO PALACE:

To be fair, the PS4 has been supporting 1080p on most games, and the Pro can easily do that with 60fps. Also, the "checkerboard" 4K rendering technique is almost indistinguishable from native 4K unless comparing side by side at close distance.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I remember seeing some benchmarks comparing PS4 and PS4 Pro side by side and seeing primarily 30fps (and sometimes less). Glad to see Sony is really pushing for the 1080/60 standard. Coming from PC and a 1440p 144hz monitor it just seems crazy to me that the discussion is still at this point in some cases. More people prioritizing and getting access to a certain resolution and framerate can only improve the experience across the board for all platforms and hopefully lead to further optimization and utilization of hardware.

Avnger:

distortedreality:

Avnger:

You didn't address the fact that Bethesda is the only major publisher even really bothering. If it was simply Bethesda's engine that was the issue, Ubisoft, EA, et al would be throwing games onto the market as well.

As for the devs failing to program efficiently, coulda, woulda, shoulda. You can make the argument that they're failing by not doing so, but at the end of the day, they're not doing so. If the Switch is underpowered as far as the devs programming practices go, that's all that matters to them. Developers aren't going to suddenly change their ways because Ninty decided to not keep their console up to spec with the rest of the market.

actually you should be thanking Capcom for the Switch even being as powerful as it is. it could have had even weaker hardware if not for them.

Well it seems to me that at the end of the day Nintendo doesn't want to compete in the home console market. Remember they are a Japanese company and in Japan home consoles don't do shit compared to Mobile consoles. The Switch seems to be the result of a compromise where they wanted to make a handheld, but also had some outside influence telling them to re-up on the home console market.

So rather than do the direct home console thing, they instead made a handheld device with a TV connection accessory included. AS a result we have a HANDHELD device here. Can you make it a home console if you really want? Sure, but make sure you buy the pro controller (80 bucks) protect your screen from the dock, and things that, to me, were developed as afterthoughts.

Frankly what do people honestly expect from it? I find it nice that Nintendo is TRYING to get into the core game market with the 3rd party support, but until I actually see 3rd party shit on this thing, it's just a gimmick to me.

The PS2 was like the weakest console of its generation but did great because it had games. It cost more then the gamecube. If tis a 300 device that delivers A1 games I don't see the Problem.

kilenem:
The PS2 was like the weakest console of its generation but did great because it had games.

not really. it was a glorified DVD player that also happened to play videogames and was put out on the market a year before Gamecube and Xbox.

CritialGaming:
Frankly what do people honestly expect from it?

I'm not sure to be honest but the thing that comes to find for me is 'more'.

I have a little Android gaming handheld, it uses the same sort of clamshell design as the 3DSXL. It can not only play a great selection of Android titles but Triple A games of consoles and handhelds past (including Nintendo's own) thanks to emulation. It can also be used to browse the web, watch YouTube videos, and stream media from a variety of sources.

Now true I'm not going to be playing the latest Nintendo games on the go, but when I compare the two...the Switch is just so limited in what it can do that it just doesn't measure up.

I've no doubt that more features are going to come to the Switch but as a mobile device? I'll take the one that can do more.

Of course the plus is that when the Switch does get these features the price will likely be lower and I'll be coming into a larger library of games.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here