Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Johnny Novgorod:
- snip -

Along with those "I'm with my wife" posts over in that Off-Topic thread, you're killing it. Or well, me at least. 🤣👍

As for the topic at hand; good on them, now call me when the Nintendo Tablet manages to outsell the Wii-U and the Gamecube, Nintendo's worst consoles in this regard.

bluegate:
call me when the Nintendo Tablet manages to outsell the Wii-U and the Gamecube, Nintendo's worst consoles in this regard.

shouldn't be too hard to outsell the Wii u since the Switch has nearly sold half the total sales of that system in less than 6 months of being on the market.

as for outselling Gamecube, we'll just have to wait and see if the momentum of Switch keeps up for awhile longer but at the Moment Switch is killing it.

bluegate:

Johnny Novgorod:
- snip -

Along with those "I'm with my wife" posts over in that Off-Topic thread, you're killing it. Or well, me at least.

Thank you, I'm having fun making them :)

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Uncharted, TLOU, MAG, Infamous, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Puppeteer, White Knight Chronicles, and several more were all new Sony IPs on PS3.

my point was if you're going to shame Nintendo for doing so many sequels and spin offs then shame Sony as well because they do sequels of things like Uncharted, Killzone, Killzone, Littlebigplanet and TLOU all the time. for example, yeah Uncharted "WAS" a new franchise. but we've had a bloody lot of uncharted titles since that came out.

we've had like 8 uncharted games since on Playstation platforms since the series came out 10 years ago. then you go and whinge about Nintendo doing sequels all the time and include things like Metroid when you complain about them doing it. let's see now Metroid has been around for over 30 years now and as of 2018 will have a total of 15 games released for the series when Metroid Prime 4 comes out. Uncharted came out a decade ago and already has more than half the amount of games the Metroid series has out.

i don't have a problem with sequels at all, in fact i encourage them, i'm just simply pointing out to you that Sony and lots of other companies release sequels and remasters all the time as well since you're whinging about "Nintendo only ever releases the same games" blah blah blah nonsense. at least when Nintendo releases sequels and such there's usually a big gap in between release's or they try to reinvent the series in a new way like with Mario who has been put in so many different types of genres and scenarios it's hard to keep track of how many there are. how much difference is there between each Uncharted game? probably not much.

Why don't you name Nintendo's new IPs on Wii U or Wii? I can probably list at least 20 new IPs on PS3 Sony made and don't forget Sony also published the very first Souls game, that's sorta become a genre. Playing the same franchises since the 80s gets boring after so many installments. Where's Nintendo's Horizon Zero Dawn or just the sheer variety you get from Horizon Zero Dawn to Until Dawn?

And Uncharted 2 is very different from the rest of the series because it's the only good game in the series.

Turns out, making a well designed and powerful machine sells well.

The Wii U is one of the worst consoles I've owned. The Switch will have my buy if it has something more than yet another Zelda though.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Uncharted, TLOU, MAG, Infamous, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Puppeteer, White Knight Chronicles, and several more were all new Sony IPs on PS3.

my point was if you're going to shame Nintendo for doing so many sequels and spin offs then shame Sony as well because they do sequels of things like Uncharted, Killzone, Killzone, Littlebigplanet and TLOU all the time. for example, yeah Uncharted "WAS" a new franchise. but we've had a bloody lot of uncharted titles since that came out.

we've had like 8 uncharted games since on Playstation platforms since the series came out 10 years ago. then you go and whinge about Nintendo doing sequels all the time and include things like Metroid when you complain about them doing it. let's see now Metroid has been around for over 30 years now and as of 2018 will have a total of 15 games released for the series when Metroid Prime 4 comes out. Uncharted came out a decade ago and already has more than half the amount of games the Metroid series has out.

i don't have a problem with sequels at all, in fact i encourage them, i'm just simply pointing out to you that Sony and lots of other companies release sequels and remasters all the time as well since you're whinging about "Nintendo only ever releases the same games" blah blah blah nonsense. at least when Nintendo releases sequels and such there's usually a big gap in between release's or they try to reinvent the series in a new way like with Mario who has been put in so many different types of genres and scenarios it's hard to keep track of how many there are. how much difference is there between each Uncharted game? probably not much.

Why don't you name Nintendo's new IPs on Wii U or Wii? I can probably list at least 20 new IPs on PS3 Sony made and don't forget Sony also published the very first Souls game, that's sorta become a genre. Playing the same franchises since the 80s gets boring after so many installments. Where's Nintendo's Horizon Zero Dawn or just the sheer variety you get from Horizon Zero Dawn to Until Dawn?

And Uncharted 2 is very different from the rest of the series because it's the only good game in the series.

Endless Ocean, the "Wii" series (of things like wii sports, wii music and wii fit), Xenoblade, Splatoon, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Nintendoland, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions & Art Academy are all new IP's from Nintendo on Wii and Wii U.

Wonderful 101 is made by Platinum Games but is 100% fully owned by Nintendo just like how Metroid Other M is made by Team Ninja but Nintendo owns Metroid entirely not Team Ninja

and like i was saying, the majority of all those new ips i just listed lised get ignored and people don't count them as new ip's unless they're popular games. like Splatoon. who the fuck remembers Disaster: Day of Crisis though? barely anyone because it was a bad game and Nintendo didn't promote it at all. hell Disaster: Day of Crisis didn't even get released in America i'm pretty sure. just in Europe and Australia. people will only remember the popular games snd surprise surprise, mario and zelda are way more popular than things like Endless Ocean. shocker i know.

You do realize that Endless Ocean was a spin-off of the Aquanaut's Holiday series, don't you?

Yoshi178:
Endless Ocean, the "Wii" series (of things like wii sports, wii music and wii fit), Xenoblade, Splatoon, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Nintendoland, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions & Art Academy are all new IP's from Nintendo on Wii and Wii U.

Wonderful 101 is made by Platinum Games but is 100% fully owned by Nintendo just like how Metroid Other M is made by Team Ninja but Nintendo owns Metroid entirely not Team Ninja

and like i was saying, the majority of all those new ips i just listed lised get ignored and people don't count them as new ip's unless they're popular games. like Splatoon. who the fuck remembers Disaster: Day of Crisis though? barely anyone because it was a bad game and Nintendo didn't promote it at all. hell Disaster: Day of Crisis didn't even get released in America i'm pretty sure. just in Europe and Australia. people will only remember the popular games snd surprise surprise, mario and zelda are way more popular than things like Endless Ocean. shocker i know.

Furthermore, the myth of lack of new IPs from Nintendo also has another problem to it: Nintendo has repeatedly stressed that they only make a new franchise when they feel like they can bring something new to the table. They dislike overlapping things and prefer each franchise stand on its own. At this point, Nintendo has made so many franchises that there are very few genres they haven't made games for.

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

Furthermore, the myth of lack of new IPs from Nintendo also has another problem to it: Nintendo has repeatedly stressed that they only make a new franchise when they feel like they can bring something new to the table. They dislike overlapping things and prefer each franchise stand on its own. At this point, Nintendo has made so many franchises that there are very few genres they haven't made games for.

You. i like you.

Jesus Christ, is this thread still going? I guess it's true - the console wars never ended, and the PC master race looks on from Mount Olympus as the dirty console peasants fight over the scraps. And I say this as someone who primarily IS a dirty console peasant.

Hawki:
Jesus Christ, is this thread still going? I guess it's true - the console wars never ended, and the PC master race looks on from Mount Olympus as the dirty console peasants fight over the scraps. And I say this as someone who primarily IS a dirty console peasant.

The PCdouchebags just argue about Nvidia Vs AMD, Intel Vs AMD, Steam Vs a free market, etc while acting above it all.

Yoshi178:

You're pulling from two Nintendo generations and you're still not even close to Sony's PS3 output. Plus, you're already down to stuff like Wii Sports and Music. Sony's High Velocity Bowling is better than Wii Bowling and something like Patapon is better than Wii Music (which is hardly even a game). It would be like me listing EyePet as one of Sony's glorious new IPs. And Xenoblade isn't a new IP, the series dates back to 1998. Nintendo doesn't own Platinum so Wonderful 101 is an equivalent to Demon's Souls, sure Nintendo owns the IP but that's not really that big of a deal because, you know, Dark Souls exists. When you don't own the dev, you only "acquire" that creativity for that game and that's it.

Popularity doesn't matter. I don't get PlayStations for the Uncharteds, Killzones, God of Wars, etc. I get them for the wealth and variety of games, Sony makes games in EVERY genre, there's something for any gamer's taste whether it's a Uncharted or Journey, a God of War or Heavenly Sword (the much better game), a Horizon or Last Guardian, an Until Dawn or Heavy Rain. Sometimes the popular ones like Horizon and TLOU are indeed really good. Who remembers Folklore? I do.

Phoenixmgs:

Why don't you name Nintendo's new IPs on Wii U or Wii?

literally asks me to give him new ip's on Wii & Wii U. give him exactly that.

Phoenixmgs:
You're pulling from two Nintendo generations

expects me not to even though he just asked me to...

Phoenixmgs:
you're still not even close to Sony's PS3 output.

then goes on to think that because i said Nintendo still makes a lot of new IP's, that SOMEHOW means that i'm also saying they output just as many new ip's as Sony does?

oh and what's this? more new multiplatform 3rd Party Games arriving on Switch?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-version-of-beautiful-adventure-gam/1100-6452708/

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/08/21/fear-effect-reinvented-coming-nintendo-switch/?

i thought you said no more 3rd Party games would come to Switch?

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Phoenixmgs:

Phoenixmgs:

then goes on to think that because i said Nintendo still makes a lot of new IP's, that SOMEHOW means that i'm also saying they output just as many new ip's as Sony does?

Since when does "or" and "and" have the same meaning? Plus, you even listed a game that wasn't a new IP. The fact that you had to pull from 2 generations to even make Nintendo seem like they made "lots" of new IPs says it all.

It's extremely well known that Nintendo doesn't make many new IPs, Nintendo LIVES off its properties from the 80s. Just watch Yahtzee's Spatoon 2 review.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Phoenixmgs:

Phoenixmgs:

Since when does "or" and "and" have the same meaning? Plus, you even listed a game that wasn't a new IP. The fact that you had to pull from 2 generations to even make Nintendo seem like they made "lots" of new IPs says it all.

It's extremely well known that Nintendo doesn't make many new IPs, Nintendo LIVES off its properties from the 80s. Just watch Yahtzee's Spatoon 2 review.

regardless of how pedantic you want to be about the and/or thing, that's still a bunch of new ip's i've just given you, and yeah there are a hell of a lot of sequels on Nintendo platforms made too. well duh, the company has been making videogames for nearly 40 years now. like someone else said they've already made games in pretty much every genre out there. they don't need to make more ip's especially since their current ones keep selling so why wouldn't Nintendo just keep on reinventing the series they already have by releasing new games for mario and such.

maybe if Sony made some franchise's as successful as these Nintendo franchise's you'd see Sony and Microsoft start to rehash them all the time too.

oh wait. you do. *cough*uncharted*cough*halo*cough*.

Yoshi178:
regardless of how pedantic you want to be about the and/or thing, that's still a bunch of new ip's i've just given you, and yeah there are a hell of a lot of sequels on Nintendo platforms made too. well duh, the company has been making videogames for nearly 40 years now. like someone else said they've already made games in pretty much every genre out there. they don't need to make more ip's especially since their current ones keep selling so why wouldn't Nintendo just keep on reinventing the series they already have by releasing new games for mario and such.

maybe if Sony made some franchise's as successful as these Nintendo franchise's you'd see Sony and Microsoft start to rehash them all the time too.

I was basically asking you to pick from Nintendo's last 2 consoles to go up against the PS3 in terms of new IPs, it's not that hard to understand. The fact that both Wiis can't even compete combined says it all. There's plenty of genres Nintendo doesn't make games in like racing sims, arcade racers, WRPGs, FPSs, adventure games (akin to Heavy Rain, Telltale, etc.), puzzle platformers (Team ICO games), sports sims, spectacle fighters, indie games (Journey, Flower, etc.), tower defense, stealth, survival horror.

Uncharted is probably done...

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

I was basically asking you to pick from Nintendo's last 2 consoles to go up against the PS3 in terms of new IPs, it's not that hard to understand. The fact that both Wiis can't even compete combined says it all. There's plenty of genres Nintendo doesn't make games in like racing sims, arcade racers, WRPGs, FPSs, adventure games (akin to Heavy Rain, Telltale, etc.), puzzle platformers (Team ICO games), sports sims, spectacle fighters, indie games (Journey, Flower, etc.), tower defense, stealth, survival horror.

Racing: Mario Kart, F-Zero, Excitebike/Excitetruck

2D Platforming: Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong

3D Platforming: Mario, Donkey Kong

Fighting: Smash Bros, Pokken Tournament.

RPG: Pokemon

Strategy: Fire Emblem

RTS: Pikmin

Sports: Wii sports and Mario sports games etc

Adventure: Zelda & 2D Metroid

Shooting: Splatoon & the Metroid Prime games

Puzzle: Dr Mario.

JRPG: Xenoblade.

Nintendo has more than enough of the genre's covered already.

bullshit it's done. Sony is going to milk Uncharted for all it's worth.

Yoshi178:
Racing: Mario Kart, F-Zero, Excitebike/Excitetruck

2D Platforming: Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong

3D Platforming: Mario, Donkey Kong

Fighting: Smash Bros, Pokken Tournament.

RPG: Pokemon

Strategy: Fire Emblem

RTS: Pikmin

Sports: Wii sports and Mario sports games etc

Adventure: Zelda & 2D Metroid

Shooting: Splatoon & the Metroid Prime games

Puzzle: Dr Mario.

JRPG: Xenoblade.

Nintendo has more than enough of the genre's covered already.

bullshit it's done. Sony is going to milk Uncharted for all it's worth.

What is wrong with you? Seriously, what is wrong with you? A lot of the games you listed (Excite, F-Zero, etc.) haven't had an entry in 10+ years and if they have, they haven't had a console entry in 10+ years (like Fire Emblem). And the new Switch Fire Emblem is just a "Warriors" game, how quaint. LMAO at Wii Sports and Mario games considered sports games. Pikmin isn't an RTS. Metroid Prime isn't a shooter. If one were to buy a Switch, you literally can't expect to see all those franchises on the Switch. Nintendo didn't even make a shooter until fucking Splatoon, which is far from a hardcore shooter. There's so many genres Nintendo doesn't make, how about some new IPs to fill in all those gaps? Nope, Nintendo is just going to ride their 80s franchises forever. Why not make a wide range of games that are just thematically different like, oh I don't know, a mature game for once (which of course, you'll go back generations to find one)?

Why would there be more Uncharted games? Naughty Dog made Crash games, then stopped, they made Jak & Daxter, then stopped, what leads you to believe Naughty Dog won't stop making Uncharted games? Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs alone last-gen.

Phoenixmgs:

What is wrong with you? Seriously, what is wrong with you? A lot of the games you listed (Excite, F-Zero, etc.) haven't had an entry in 10+ years and if they have, they haven't had a console entry in 10+ years (like Fire Emblem). And the new Switch Fire Emblem is just a "Warriors" game, how quaint. LMAO at Wii Sports and Mario games considered sports games. Pikmin isn't an RTS. Metroid Prime isn't a shooter. If one were to buy a Switch, you literally can't expect to see all those franchises on the Switch. Nintendo didn't even make a shooter until fucking Splatoon, which is far from a hardcore shooter. There's so many genres Nintendo doesn't make, how about some new IPs to fill in all those gaps? Nope, Nintendo is just going to ride their 80s franchises forever. Why not make a wide range of games that are just thematically different like, oh I don't know, a mature game for once (which of course, you'll go back generations to find one)?

Oh well, as long as we're defining genres in such a way as games don't count because, then sure, Nintendo doesn't make anything new. Doesn't matter that Arms is a new fighter, or Splatoon is a popular shooter, Nintendo's just going to ride their 80's franchises because their new IP's arbitrarily don't count.. Why can't Nintendo make new mature IP's, like being the only reason Bayonetta 2 exists? How come Nintendo doesn't fill those genre gaps, like that new fighting game that came out this year, or that sequel to the shooter that just came out, or their upcoming turn-based tactical game?

And of course Metroid Prime is an FPS. You play in the first person perspective, and your main interaction with the game world is shooting things until they die. What bizarro-land do you live in where that's not an FPS?

EDIT: Of course, you say Nintendo doesn't make arcade racers when Mario Kart is right there, not to mention the Switch exclusive Fast RMX.

altnameJag:

Phoenixmgs:

Oh well, as long as we're defining genres in such a way as games don't count because, then sure, Nintendo doesn't make anything new. Doesn't matter that Arms is a new fighter, or Splatoon is a popular shooter, Nintendo's just going to ride their 80's franchises because their new IP's arbitrarily don't count.. Why can't Nintendo make new mature IP's, like being the only reason Bayonetta 2 exists? How come Nintendo doesn't fill those genre gaps, like that new fighting game that came out this year, or that sequel to the shooter that just came out, or their upcoming turn-based tactical game?

And of course Metroid Prime is an FPS. You play in the first person perspective, and your main interaction with the game world is shooting things until they die. What bizarro-land do you live in where that's not an FPS?

EDIT: Of course, you say Nintendo doesn't make arcade racers when Mario Kart is right there, not to mention the Switch exclusive Fast RMX.

Yeah, ARMS is totally going to become the new Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, MvC, etc. Splatoon is a shooter that just came out 2 years ago, it took Nintendo long enough to make a shooter, one of the most popular genres. Bayonetta is a Platinum property... There's tons of genres Nintendo doesn't make along with games that for the most part are very thematically similar.

According to Nintendo themselves, Metroid Prime is not a shooter...

Because exploration takes precedence over combat, Nintendo classifies the game as a first-person adventure rather than a first-person shooter.

Kart racers are a genre themselves. Fast RMX is a 3rd-party game...

Phoenixmgs:

Yeah, ARMS is totally going to become the new Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, MvC, etc. Splatoon is a shooter that just came out 2 years ago, it took Nintendo long enough to make a shooter, one of the most popular genres. Bayonetta is a Platinum property... There's tons of genres Nintendo doesn't make along with games that for the most part are very thematically similar.

According to Nintendo themselves, Metroid Prime is not a shooter...

Because exploration takes precedence over combat, Nintendo classifies the game as a first-person adventure rather than a first-person shooter.

Kart racers are a genre themselves. Fast RMX is a 3rd-party game...

So, out of curiosity, are we complaining about Nintendo as a publisher or Nintendo as a developer? Because, say, Uncharted wasn't developed by Sony in the same way as Bayonetta 2 wasn't developed by Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong, Ninty's got 99 problems, but, like, maybe don't yell at them for not making new IP's while discounting two of their newest IP's because they aren't, what, as popular as Street-hecking-Fighter or, bizarrely, not old enough? While also complaining Nintendo leans to much on their old properties? Somehow?

altnameJag:
So, out of curiosity, are we complaining about Nintendo as a publisher or Nintendo as a developer? Because, say, Uncharted wasn't developed by Sony in the same way as Bayonetta 2 wasn't developed by Nintendo.

Don't get me wrong, Ninty's got 99 problems, but, like, maybe don't yell at them for not making new IP's while discounting two of their newest IP's because they aren't, what, as popular as Street-hecking-Fighter or, bizarrely, not old enough? While also complaining Nintendo leans to much on their old properties? Somehow?

As a developer mainly. It's the same situation with Sony and From Software and the Souls games. I don't expect them to keep partnering up because From isn't owned by Sony. Getting an exclusive From game is not expected when I buy a Playstation console. Can you bank on the Switch to get Bayo 3 or another Platinum game? Whereas getting say a new IP from Naughty Dog would be expected. Shooters are SUPER popular and for Nintendo to FINALLY make one just 2 years ago says a lot. And, all Nintendo games are also very similar in theme, ARMS and Splatoon have that "fun for the whole family" vibe to them that basically every Nintendo game has, where's the variety? Neither ARMS or Splatoon are what I would consider hardcore in regards to their gameplay either. Sony's output crosses far more genres while having more thematic variety like say LBP vs TLOU while also developing more new IPs than perhaps any publisher (whether Nintendo, MS, or the EAs, Ubisofts, Activisions). Who's making AAA quality adventure games like Heavy Rain or Until Dawn other than Sony? Nobody even makes a hardcore MLB game outside of Sony. What other publisher would've allowed for The Last Guardian to see the light of day considering the troubled development? You can make a legitimate case for Sony being the best publisher right now especially if variety factors in.

Phoenixmgs:
From game is not expected when I buy a Playstation console. Can you bank on the Switch to get Bayo 3 or another Platinum game? Whereas getting say a new IP from Naughty Dog would be expected.

Nintendo is bad with third party developers, but that's a publisher complaint, not a development one.

Phoenixmgs:

Shooters are SUPER popular and for Nintendo to FINALLY make one just 2 years ago says a lot.

Rare was a second-party developer working exclusively with Nintendo when it developed Goldeneye, the game that put FPS multiplayer shooters on the map for consoles.

And, all Nintendo games are also very similar in theme, ARMS and Splatoon have that "fun for the whole family" vibe to them that basically every Nintendo game has, where's the variety?

Same place as Rockstar's family friendly games exist I reckon. It's okay for Devs to specialize.

Phoenixmgs:
Neither ARMS or Splatoon are what I would consider hardcore in regards to their gameplay either.

I mean. Splatoon's easily the most eSports broadcasting friendly game out there, but you do you I guess.

Phoenixmgs:
Sony's output crosses far more genres while having more thematic variety like say LBP vs TLOU while also developing more new IPs than perhaps any publisher (whether Nintendo, MS, or the EAs, Ubisofts, Activisions). Who's making AAA quality adventure games like Heavy Rain or Until Dawn other than Sony? Nobody even makes a hardcore MLB game outside of Sony. What other publisher would've allowed for The Last Guardian to see the light of day considering the troubled development? You can make a legitimate case for Sony being the best publisher right now especially if variety factors in.

You are correct, Nintendo is not Sony.

Not convinced that's a bad thing though, as there's already a Sony. Having Nintendo try to be Sony while Sony already exists gets us into Battlefield vs CoD vs everyotherpissantwhothinkstheycanmakeallthemoney. That's how we got 4 dozen modern military shooters in 3 years, most of them believing they would pull CoD numbers, and most of them being garbage.

Sony is a publisher, they don't make games. Nintendo is a publisher and a developer. Sony Interactive Entertainment, being bolted to a huge consumer electronics conglomerate, can afford to sell at losses Nintendo can only dream of and has a huge credit limit to fund publishing large numbers of games and to take the hit whenever something doesn't pan out like they should. (*coughvitacough*

If Nintendo tried to be Sony, the Switch would cost $150 bucks, and Nintendo would be eating a loss every time they sold one. Or in other words, Sony runs on a debt margin, which is fine as long as everything goes smoothly. If the PS5 face plants as bad as the original Xbox One did? Sony wouldn't be publishing nearly as many games as they are now. If Nintendo tried to be Sony and had another console faceplant as bad as the WiiU did? Well, Mario merch might be able to pull off a miracle, but the only reason Nintendo isn't in dire financial straights is a combination of a huge reserve of NES/SNES money and the ds/3ds going gangbusters.

altnameJag:
Nintendo is bad with third party developers, but that's a publisher complaint, not a development one.

Rare was a second-party developer working exclusively with Nintendo when it developed Goldeneye, the game that put FPS multiplayer shooters on the map for consoles.

It's okay for Devs to specialize.

I mean. Splatoon's easily the most eSports broadcasting friendly game out there, but you do you I guess.

-

You are correct, Nintendo is not Sony.

Not convinced that's a bad thing though, as there's already a Sony. Having Nintendo try to be Sony while Sony already exists gets us into Battlefield vs CoD vs everyotherpissantwhothinkstheycanmakeallthemoney. That's how we got 4 dozen modern military shooters in 3 years, most of them believing they would pull CoD numbers, and most of them being garbage.

Sony is a publisher, they don't make games. Nintendo is a publisher and a developer. Sony Interactive Entertainment, being bolted to a huge consumer electronics conglomerate, can afford to sell at losses Nintendo can only dream of and has a huge credit limit to fund publishing large numbers of games and to take the hit whenever something doesn't pan out like they should. (*coughvitacough*

If Nintendo tried to be Sony, the Switch would cost $150 bucks, and Nintendo would be eating a loss every time they sold one. Or in other words, Sony runs on a debt margin, which is fine as long as everything goes smoothly. If the PS5 face plants as bad as the original Xbox One did? Sony wouldn't be publishing nearly as many games as they are now. If Nintendo tried to be Sony and had another console faceplant as bad as the WiiU did? Well, Mario merch might be able to pull off a miracle, but the only reason Nintendo isn't in dire financial straights is a combination of a huge reserve of NES/SNES money and the ds/3ds going gangbusters.

It is a Nintendo development complaint because all the devs Nintendo owns do basically make the same kinda games. Nintendo should either have their devs make games with more variety or buy more devs like how they bought Monolith Soft to basically acquire the Xeno series. The fact that you had to go back 4 generations to find a shooter Nintendo made says it all. And Halo put FPSs on the map for consoles because it got the controls down whereas Goldeneye controls are so dated. Who cares about how eSport friendly a game is? Splatoon is far from becoming some big eSport anyways and probably won't (maybe in Japan it will, the Japanese really love it), the cumbersome-as-hell phone-app online service is just plain retarded and will hold every MP game back on the Switch.

I really don't care about publisher/developer semantics, I care about who Sony owns and who Nintendo owns. Buying a Playstation you can bank on getting a variety of games because of all the devs Sony owns. Does owning a dev make Sony a developer? Does it matter? Hell no. Sony has devs with "Sony" in the title as well. The only games you can really bank on getting from Nintendo are franchises that are 30 years old now and even then you might not get one of their major franchises like how Wii U didn't get a Metroid game. You can bank on getting a XenoBlade game because Nintendo owns Monolith Soft so it doesn't matter what is technically developed by Nintendo or Sony, it matters what devs they own.

That all leads to the point of why should I buy a Nintendo console over a Sony console when I'll get more games and more variety from Sony? What if I'm tired of Nintendo franchises? There's really nothing new Nintendo makes. If I'm tired of Sony franchises, I'm still going to get new IPs. Even just comparing Wii U and the Switch, why should I buy a Switch? I can play the new Zelda on the Wii U. I can play Splatoon online for free without the stupid phone-app network bullshit, same with Mario Kart and Smash. There's not much reason to buy a Switch especially right now.

Phoenixmgs:

It is a Nintendo development complaint because all the devs Nintendo owns do basically make the same kinda games. Nintendo should either have their devs make games with more variety or buy more devs like how they bought Monolith Soft to basically acquire the Xeno series.

Nintendo should do the thing, like Nintendo did the thing.

The fact that you had to go back 4 generations to find a shooter Nintendo made says it all. And Halo put FPSs on the map for consoles because it got the controls down whereas Goldeneye controls are so dated.

So, the only way to "win" this argument is to find a Nintendo shooter made more than one generation ago, but least then 4 generations ago, because if they are too new or too old, they don't count?

The only games you can really bank on getting from Nintendo are franchises that are 30 years old now and even then you might not get one of their major franchises like how Wii U didn't get a Metroid game.

You can bank on getting a XenoBlade game because Nintendo owns Monolith Soft so it doesn't matter what is technically developed by Nintendo or Sony, it matters what devs they own.

That all leads to the point of why should I buy a Nintendo console over a Sony console when I'll get more games and more variety from Sony? What if I'm tired of Nintendo franchises? There's really nothing new Nintendo makes. If I'm tired of Sony franchises, I'm still going to get new IPs. Even just comparing Wii U and the Switch, why should I buy a Switch? I can play the new Zelda on the Wii U. I can play Splatoon online for free without the stupid phone-app network bullshit, same with Mario Kart and Smash. There's not much reason to buy a Switch especially right now.

And that's fine. I'm not trying to get you to buy a Switch.

Just, consistency, you know?

altnameJag:

Phoenixmgs:

It is a Nintendo development complaint because all the devs Nintendo owns do basically make the same kinda games. Nintendo should either have their devs make games with more variety or buy more devs like how they bought Monolith Soft to basically acquire the Xeno series.

Nintendo should do the thing, like Nintendo did the thing.

The fact that you had to go back 4 generations to find a shooter Nintendo made says it all. And Halo put FPSs on the map for consoles because it got the controls down whereas Goldeneye controls are so dated.

So, the only way to "win" this argument is to find a Nintendo shooter made more than one generation ago, but least then 4 generations ago, because if they are too new or too old, they don't count?

The only games you can really bank on getting from Nintendo are franchises that are 30 years old now and even then you might not get one of their major franchises like how Wii U didn't get a Metroid game.

You can bank on getting a XenoBlade game because Nintendo owns Monolith Soft so it doesn't matter what is technically developed by Nintendo or Sony, it matters what devs they own.

And that's fine. I'm not trying to get you to buy a Switch.

Just, consistency, you know?

You. i like you too.

altnameJag:
Snip

Wow, you Nintendo fanboys are really delusional. Nintendo doesn't own enough studios to put out enough games with enough variety. LMAO, developing 2 shooters over 4 generations is a total failure. Sony has more franchises that are shooters than Nintendo has developed games that are shooters over the same time frame, which include Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, and probably a couple I forgot. And the 1st shooter you can play online developed by Nintendo only came out 2 years ago. You actually think that's acceptable? Of course, you do because Nintendo fanboys are delusional.

Phoenixmgs:

altnameJag:
Snip

Wow, you Nintendo fanboys are really delusional. Nintendo doesn't own enough studios to put out enough games with enough variety. LMAO, developing 2 shooters over 4 generations is a total failure. Sony has more franchises that are shooters than Nintendo has developed games that are shooters over the same time frame, which include Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, and probably a couple I forgot. And the 1st shooter you can play online developed by Nintendo only came out 2 years ago. You actually think that's acceptable? Of course, you do because Nintendo fanboys are delusional.

I think it's acceptable that Nintendo is not Sony, yes. When Nintendo makes a good game, I buy a Nintendo game. When Sony makes a good game, I buy a Sony game. That's basically as far as I get as long as the releases for those individual games don't try to pull some stupid, corporate, anti-consumer crap.

I just thought it was hilarious that someone thinks Nintendo only has their '80s IPs to back on while simultaneously dismissing the very good IPs Nintendo's published since. Or how "Nintendo doesn't make shooters", but the old one doesn't count because it's too old, the new one doesn't count because it's too new, and the ones in the middle don't count because killing dudes isn't the sole focus of the game.

altnameJag:
I think it's acceptable that Nintendo is not Sony, yes. When Nintendo makes a good game, I buy a Nintendo game. When Sony makes a good game, I buy a Sony game. That's basically as far as I get as long as the releases for those individual games don't try to pull some stupid, corporate, anti-consumer crap.

I just thought it was hilarious that someone thinks Nintendo only has their '80s IPs to back on while simultaneously dismissing the very good IPs Nintendo's published since. Or how "Nintendo doesn't make shooters", but the old one doesn't count because it's too old, the new one doesn't count because it's too new, and the ones in the middle don't count because killing dudes isn't the sole focus of the game.

When a system doesn't get 3rd-party support, first-party support is even more crucial. Nintendo just doesn't make enough games to support a system by itself nor is there the variety of games. I wouldn't even buy a Sony console if the only games to play were Sony games and Sony's game output is probably around 10x of Nintendo.

How is getting less than 1 shooter (one of the most popular genres) per generation a success? It would be the equivalent of you saying Sony is lacking a football game with my reply being that Sony has made 8 football games (the last one being released in 2004).

Phoenixmgs:

When a system doesn't get 3rd-party support, first-party support is even more crucial. Nintendo just doesn't make enough games to support a system by itself nor is there the variety of games. I wouldn't even buy a Sony console if the only games to play were Sony games and Sony's game output is probably around 10x of Nintendo.

Then don't.

I disagree.

How is getting less than 1 shooter (one of the most popular genres) per generation a success? It would be the equivalent of you saying Sony is lacking a football game with my reply being that Sony has made 8 football games (the last one being released in 2004).

A success at what? Nintendo sold plenty of Gamecubes and Wiis. Switch is going gabgbisters too, complete with games in these genres Nintendo doesn't make. I'm not going to blame a company for not competing in areas they don't have an interest in. Sony could develop a football game tomorrow, but they'd be competing with EA, and what's the hecking point of that?

Ninty hasn't participated the the console wars for three generations going. Why start now, when it's mostly paid off for them?

altnameJag:
A success at what? Nintendo sold plenty of Gamecubes and Wiis. Switch is going gabgbisters too, complete with games in these genres Nintendo doesn't make. I'm not going to blame a company for not competing in areas they don't have an interest in. Sony could develop a football game tomorrow, but they'd be competing with EA, and what's the hecking point of that?

Ninty hasn't participated the the console wars for three generations going. Why start now, when it's mostly paid off for them?

Right? Comparatively speaking, Nintendo is doing better than Microsoft's or Playstation's console departments. I mean, Nintendo is the only console maker that can sell consoles at break even or profit level figures. Their games are just icing on the cake. Nintendo is guaranteed to make a profit on the Switch as is.

Mainly because people like me will buy it regardless. That and what other company do you know that could make Amiibo be an unmitigated success story? Define 'success' ... because from most financial measures, Nintendo is probably the most consistently successful game company in history.

altnameJag:

Phoenixmgs:

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Right? Comparatively speaking, Nintendo is doing better than Microsoft's or Playstation's console departments. I mean, Nintendo is the only console maker that can sell consoles at break even or profit level figures. Their games are just icing on the cake. Nintendo is guaranteed to make a profit on the Switch as is.

Mainly because people like me will buy it regardless. That and what other company do you know that could make Amiibo be an unmitigated success story? Define 'success' ... because from most financial measures, Nintendo is probably the most consistently successful game company in history.

Just wow... You care about how much Nintendo is making off of YOU?!?! Success means what you are getting from Nintendo or Sony or MS. You're looking at it backwards, but I guess that's the logic of Nintendo and Apple fanboys. Getting 3 shooters over 5 generations is not a success for gamers/consumers. Getting barely any new IPs is not a success. Getting barely any variety in genre or theme is not a success.

By the way, since Nintendo fanboys care about how good Nintendo is doing, here you go...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-28-sonys-psn-is-making-more-money-than-all-of-nintendo

And Sony makes profit on PS4s too...
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1320199

As long as Sony stays profitable enough to continue on is all I care about since they are the best console maker and best publisher/developer currently. I couldn't care less if they are more/less profitable than Nintendo or MS, I care about what I am getting in return for buying a PlayStation and nothing else. I'm not going to buy a system with no games just to make a company look good. If Nintendo or MS step-up their game and treat ME better than Sony, I'd switch consoles right away, I have no allegiance to any single company.

Phoenixmgs:

Just wow... You care about how much Nintendo is making off of YOU?!?! Success means what you are getting from Nintendo or Sony or MS. You're looking at it backwards, but I guess that's the logic of Nintendo and Apple fanboys. Getting 3 shooters over 5 generations is not a success for gamers/consumers. Getting barely any new IPs is not a success. Getting barely any variety in genre or theme is not a success.

What can I say? I appreciate intelligent marketing. That and I like their games. It's better than running whatever tribalistic nonsense you're spouting off. I mean, newsflash. ... I have a gaming rig, a PS4 Pro and a Switch as current gen consoles. And I currently play my Switch more than the other two because I have a job, university, a university work/study job, meaning I spend more time outside my house than in it... and even when I'm at my apartment I like games I can play on my patio and get wasted and/or high with that are fun and colourful.

Have you ever played Mario Kart after doing 3 lines? It's brilliant.

Regardless, not exactly a 'fanboy' ... I like Nintendo, but video gaming isn't even my favourite type of gaming. Board gaming and horse/harnass racing is my favourite type of gaming. Though the latter is probably more of a problem I have everytime I see a TAB. Why do you care so much how I spend my money? I'm sorry that a home console I can conveniently play games on and involve other people effortlessly in the fun hurts your sensibilities so much. Heaven forbid if Nintendo make a dedicated games console I can play anywhere with easy local co-op.

Also, new IPs? Barely any variety in theme? Splatoon 2 is a lot of fun, it's colourful, the mechanics are pretty interesting, and it certainly beats every shooter that focuses on gunmetal grey and 300 million types of beige.

My favourite competitive shooter was COD4 ... you could play that on a toaster. And my favourite single player shooters, and probably the only FPS shooter that has a singleplayer worthwhile was the Metroid Prime series. Also the best JRPG I remember last playing for the last 8 years was Bravely Default series and Xenoblade Chronicles ... and both of those are Nintendo. And I'm getting more of that, but on the go.

Are you seriously telling me that it's me simply being a fangirl for picking up the Switch? The one home console that provides fun, competitive, and colourful games ... that I can play anywhere and effortlessly involve other people with the game? Maybe I'm just not you?

Addendum_Forthcoming:
What can I say? I appreciate intelligent marketing. That and I like their games. It's better than running whatever tribalistic nonsense you're spouting off. I mean, newsflash. ... I have a gaming rig, a PS4 Pro and a Switch as current gen consoles. And I currently play my Switch more than the other two because I have a job, university, a university work/study job, meaning I spend more time outside my house than in it... and even when I'm at my apartment I like games I can play on my patio and get wasted and/or high with that are fun and colourful.

Have you ever played Mario Kart after doing 3 lines? It's brilliant.

Regardless, not exactly a 'fanboy' ... I like Nintendo, but video gaming isn't even my favourite type of gaming. Board gaming and horse/harnass racing is my favourite type of gaming. Though the latter is probably more of a problem I have everytime I see a TAB. Why do you care so much how I spend my money? I'm sorry that a home console I can conveniently play games on and involve other people effortlessly in the fun hurts your sensibilities so much. Heaven forbid if Nintendo make a dedicated games console I can play anywhere with easy local co-op.

Also, new IPs? Barely any variety in theme? Splatoon 2 is a lot of fun, it's colourful, the mechanics are pretty interesting, and it certainly beats every shooter that focuses on gunmetal grey and 300 million types of beige.

My favourite competitive shooter was COD4 ... you could play that on a toaster. And my favourite single player shooters, and probablythe only FPS shooter that has a singleplayer worthwhile, was the Metroid Prime series.

I don't care how you spend your money. You went on talking about how Nintendo is good because they're profitable. That's only good for you if you have stake in the company really. Almost all of Nintendo's games have that "fun for the whole family" theme to them, which there's nothing wrong with that, but I like variety. Just Naughty Dog by themselves has more range thematically than Nintendo. It's just like movies, sure a good family friendly movie is as good as any other kind of movie, but I don't want to be stuck watching nothing but that either. Sure you can play COD4 on a toaster but not a Nintendo console, that's the problem, no support. I can't wait for that new Dishonored, I can't play that on the Switch. I can't play Shadow Tactics on the Switch. I can't play Danganronpa on the Switch. I can't even play the Zero Escape series on the Switch when it's a freaking DS series, yet I can play it on PS4. That's how little support Nintendo gets.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here