Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Phoenixmgs:
Success means what you are getting from Nintendo or Sony or MS. You're looking at it backwards, but I guess that's the logic of Nintendo and Apple fanboys.

going by your logic, Nintendo is still very "successful" because people like me like what we are "getting" from Nintendo. i want more Metroid, Mario, Xenoblade, Splatoon and Zelda games etc.

i don't want any of those shitty linear corrider movie type "games" like Uncharted and TLOU that Sony makes. i'd much rather play a game than watch a movie and i'd MUCH rather play Metroid than something like Uncharted

As long as Sony stays profitable enough to continue on is all I care about since they are the best console maker and best publisher/developer currently.

so basically, you're just saying that you're going to keep complaining about Nintendo not making the same type of games that Sony makes because you're a Sony fanboy and not a Nintendo fanboy like you call us. correct?

Phoenixmgs:

I don't care how you spend your money. You went on talking about how Nintendo is good because they're profitable. That's only good for you if you have stake in the company really. Almost all of Nintendo's games have that "fun for the whole family" theme to them, which there's nothing wrong with that, but I like variety. Just Naughty Dog by themselves has more range thematically than Nintendo. It's just like movies, sure a good family friendly movie is as good as any other kind of movie, but I don't want to be stuck watching nothing but that either. Sure you can play COD4 on a toaster but not a Nintendo console, that's the problem, no support. I can't wait for that new Dishonored, I can't play that on the Switch. I can't play Shadow Tactics on the Switch. I can't play Danganronpa on the Switch. I can't even play the Zero Escape series on the Switch when it's a freaking DS series, yet I can play it on PS4. That's how little support Nintendo gets.

No, I didn't say they are good because they're profitable. I said they're profitable and thus successful. I mean how the fuck do you rate something so nebulously contrived as 'successful'? Most people would measure it as; "Nintendo is a company. Being a successful company means turning a profit. Ergo Nintendo is a successful company." Also, Naughty Dog? The company that gave us Uncharted? Yeah, no. Also, you could totally run COD4 on the Switch. The computer I got to run COD4 on when it first came out was probably not as good as the Switch.

The last ten games they've done? A whole of 3 IPs, and 10 games across 3 IPs (including major DLC packs and standalone expansions). And one of those is the Jak and Daxter Collection.

So, um ... no?

Besides, why would I want it to run COD4? I have COD4 already. I played COD4 to death. Having a blast with Splatoon 2, however.

Yoshi178:
going by your logic, Nintendo is still very "successful" because people like me like what we are "getting" from Nintendo. i want more Metroid, Mario, Xenoblade, Splatoon and Zelda games etc.

i don't want any of those shitty linear corrider movie type "games" like Uncharted and TLOU that Sony makes. i'd much rather play a game than watch a movie and i'd MUCH rather play Metroid than something like Uncharted

so basically, you're just saying that you're going to keep complaining about Nintendo not making the same type of games that Sony makes because you're a Sony fanboy and not a Nintendo fanboy like you call us. correct?

You made this whole thread because the Switch sold like 5 million since launch thinking it's going to be some Nintendo console to actually change something in the gaming landscape, it's not. Every new console sells well out the gate because the 1st adopters will buy it no matter what. If you don't like Uncharted or TLOU, Sony makes a ton of OTHER games. I don't like Uncharted either besides for the 2nd one. If I don't like Nintendo's big 3, what else is there? I bet you didn't even play the Xeno series before it became a Nintendo property, then it magically became awesome because of the 'N' on the box. The reason I don't buy Nintendo's systems is because there's no variety and the rather low quantity. If I like a quarter of Nintendo's games and a quarter of Sony's games, guess where I'm getting more games that I like? That's not even talking about 3rd-party support that Nintendo won't get. It's about not being a fanboy of anyone. Nintendo is the iOS of gaming and everyone else is the Android.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
No, I didn't say they are good because they're profitable. I said they're profitable and thus successful. I mean how the fuck do you rate something so nebulously contrived as 'successful'? Most people would measure it as; "Nintendo is a company. Being a successful company means turning a profit. Ergo Nintendo is a successful company." Also, Naughty Dog? The company that gave us Uncharted? Yeah, no. Also, you could totally run COD4 on the Switch. The computer I got to run COD4 on when it first came out was probably not as good as the Switch.

The last ten games they've done? A whole of 3 IPs, and 10 games across 3 IPs (including major DLC packs and standalone expansions). And one of those is the Jak and Daxter Collection.

So, um ... no?

Besides, why would I want it to run COD4? I have COD4 already. I played COD4 to death. Having a blast with Splatoon 2, however.

I worded the question of success in terms of being a gamer. If a company's last 5 generations of consoles only developed 3 shooters in 5 generations, that's not a success for me as a gamer. Not that shooters are the best thing ever or my favorite genre, but I'd want more than 3 of any genre over that time span. Game library is really the only important aspect for any platform and how successful it was. The point is not if the Switch can run COD4, it's the fact that COD4 won't be on the Switch or whatever the next big thing turns out to be. How many new IPs has Nintendo published/made over their last 10 games? I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog by themselves would beat Nintendo in that, let alone all of Sony.

Phoenixmgs:
Every new console sells well out the gate

Switch came out on March 3rd and we are now a few days away from September and Switch is still selling out everywhere

6 months of being on the market is "out of the gate" now is it?

Yoshi178:
Switch is still selling out everywhere.

It was never sold out here in Finland. Then again the Wii U sold so damn damn poorly here (and basically everywhere) that it's no wonder people switched (haHaa) to PS or XBox.

Deadguy2322:

Hawki:
Jesus Christ, is this thread still going? I guess it's true - the console wars never ended, and the PC master race looks on from Mount Olympus as the dirty console peasants fight over the scraps. And I say this as someone who primarily IS a dirty console peasant.

The PCdouchebags just argue about Nvidia Vs AMD, Intel Vs AMD, Steam Vs a free market, etc while acting above it all.

Well, even the gods bickered between themselves.

Anyway, throwing my hat in the ring on certain topics:

Yoshi178:

RTS: Pikmin

Calling Pikin an RTS is technically true, but it's a mechanically shallow one. Heck, even Halo Wars, a RTS designed with a controller in mind, has more tactical depth.

Phoenixmgs:

And the new Switch Fire Emblem is just a "Warriors" game, how quaint.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem_(Nintendo_Switch)

It'll have both the Warriors and the core entry.

Phoenixmgs:
LMAO at Wii Sports and Mario games considered sports games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Phoenixmgs:
Pikmin isn't an RTS.

It is, technically, just a shallow one (well, least the first one is, it's the only one I played.

Phoenixmgs:

Nintendo didn't even make a shooter until fucking Splatoon, which is far from a hardcore shooter.

Ah yes, because the gaming landscape is really suffering from a lack of shooters right now...

Phoenixmgs:
Why would there be more Uncharted games?

Sony will likely make them, not Naughty Dog.

altnameJag:

And of course Metroid Prime is an FPS. You play in the first person perspective, and your main interaction with the game world is shooting things until they die. What bizarro-land do you live in where that's not an FPS?

I actually would maintain that Metroid Prime is an exploration game first, and a shooter second (or simply a 3D Metroidvania). I mean, you do shoot stuff, but that's not the reason you're there, so to speak.

Phoenixmgs:

Wow, you Nintendo fanboys are really delusional. Nintendo doesn't own enough studios to put out enough games with enough variety. LMAO, developing 2 shooters over 4 generations is a total failure. Sony has more franchises that are shooters than Nintendo has developed games that are shooters over the same time frame, which include Syphon Filter, SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, and probably a couple I forgot. And the 1st shooter you can play online developed by Nintendo only came out 2 years ago. You actually think that's acceptable? Of course, you do because Nintendo fanboys are delusional.

Seriously, what's with the fixation with shooters? Uncharted isn't even a shooter in the same vein as those games, and if you're fixated with shooters, your best bet is to use a PC.

Phoenixmgs:
Almost all of Nintendo's games have that "fun for the whole family" theme to them, which there's nothing wrong with that, but I like variety. Just Naughty Dog by themselves has more range thematically than Nintendo. It's just like movies, sure a good family friendly movie is as good as any other kind of movie, but I don't want to be stuck watching nothing but that either.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Naughty Dog has gone in one direction over time, making their games more 'mature' (Crash>Jak>Uncharted>Last of Us), and in an interview, that's apparently the direction they'll always go in, while Nintendo mostly has the family friendly theme, but it can be serious when it needs to be.

Of course, either approach is valid I guess - it's the jack of all trades vs. master of one argument.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

To be honest, I don't think that's too bad of a record.

The only Naughty Dog games I've played are the three original Crash Bandicoots, but far as I can tell, Naughty Dog has a pretty solid record in terms of quality. I know that variety is the spice of life, but I think that would be a similar record for a lot of developers. Heck, even big ones - Blizzard kickstarted a new IP with StarCraft in 1998, and didn't make a new IP until 2015 with Overwatch. That seems to have worked out well for them since its 'big four' IPs are still getting releases and/or support.

Hawki:

To be honest, I don't think that's too bad of a record.

The only Naughty Dog games I've played are the three original Crash Bandicoots, but far as I can tell, Naughty Dog has a pretty solid record in terms of quality. I know that variety is the spice of life, but I think that would be a similar record for a lot of developers. Heck, even big ones - Blizzard kickstarted a new IP with StarCraft in 1998, and didn't make a new IP until 2015 with Overwatch. That seems to have worked out well for them since its 'big four' IPs are still getting releases and/or support.

Then it's fair to say Nintendo makes fr more varied shit. That it tries out new gaming concepts and actually experiments and whether people like it or not delivered far more varied means of the way we play games. Of any of the console makers they are the only ones to innovate and expand concepts of video gaming.

Phoenixmgs:

I worded the question of success in terms of being a gamer. If a company's last 5 generations of consoles only developed 3 shooters in 5 generations, that's not a success for me as a gamer. Not that shooters are the best thing ever or my favorite genre, but I'd want more than 3 of any genre over that time span. Game library is really the only important aspect for any platform and how successful it was. The point is not if the Switch can run COD4, it's the fact that COD4 won't be on the Switch or whatever the next big thing turns out to be. How many new IPs has Nintendo published/made over their last 10 games? I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog by themselves would beat Nintendo in that, let alone all of Sony.

Well you can word it any way you want, but when you compare Nintendo to a company that has literally only made 2 3rd person cover based shooters, and 10 variations of OGC for it, I gotta question how unbiased your assessment is. I mean did you even look up Naughty Dog's gaming library? Also, you've yet to tell me why gamers would want COD4 on the Switch. I already have CoD4 ... I have already played shooters trying to ape its success ... I don't want the Switch to pretend like that's the 'gold standard' of what it can do with first person shooters. By default, Prime 4 is going to be more interesting to me than another CoD4.

Nintendo EPD made more new IPs over their last ten games than any other videogame company I know. Nintendo EPD alone have produced 10 games in two years .... ranging from social games like 1-2 Switch, to the Legend of Zelda, to Splatoon 2, to Arms, to a new Animal Crossing, to a new Mario Kart. That's about as far as I can remember. No other vdeo game maker is as prolific and makes as many award winning games of divergent qualities as Nintendo alone. And unlike Ubisoft or Naughty Dog, won't be releasing a trillion variations of 'Game of the Year' editions.

So yes, Nintendo are incredibly successful. No other videogame maker do I know that will make a working inhouse copy of another game to just work on a brand new one they are planning to release. Hence why there's always 5 new Zelda games in development at once, and it's not uncommon for all of them to be scrapped because they don't meet a certain quality threshold of what they're looking for.

No other videogame maker can come close to being able to be that scrupulous.

Not only that, there are other reasons why I like Nintendo. Because unlike other developers nad publishers who will just lay off thousands of people if a game doesn't break ridiculous sales figures, Nintendo's executives took a pay cut rather than firing people working on their games, or asking them to pull 20 hour shifts with only 12 hours paid until a game goes out the door.

Say what you like, I respect a company that is willing to take such conservative company ideas of executives taking responsibility and thus electing wage sacrifice until a product turns around. Not merely laying off workers left, right and center until the shareholders feel good about the corporate projections they're taking.

Hawki:

Calling Pikin an RTS is technically true, but it's a mechanically shallow one. Heck, even Halo Wars, a RTS designed with a controller in mind, has more tactical depth.

Pikmin is more of an RTS puzzle game rather than being like a traditional RTS game i find.

Nintendo likes to put their own unique spin to the genre on most of their games i find. Mario Kart & F-Zero are both racing games but they aren't traditional racing sims like need for speed and such. and Smash Bros is a Fighting game but it is in no way a traditional fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Then it's fair to say Nintendo makes fr more varied shit. That it tries out new gaming concepts and actually experiments and whether people like it or not delivered far more varied means of the way we play games. Of any of the console makers they are the only ones to innovate and expand concepts of video gaming.

Okay, fine, but why are they even being compared? Nintendo is a mammoth developer and publisher. Naughty Dog is just a developer, and one that, as of Crash Bandicoot, has followed a model of working on 1-2 IPs at a time before moving on.

Yoshi178:

Pikmin is more of an RTS puzzle game rather than being like a traditional RTS game i find.

I'd be fine calling it a puzzle game, but people keep calling it an RTS. So if it's called an RTS, I'll have to judge it as an RTS.

Yoshi178:

Nintendo likes to put their own unique spin to the genre on most of their games i find. Mario Kart & F-Zero are both racing games but they aren't traditional racing sims like need for speed and such. and Smash Bros is a Fighting game but it is in no way a traditional fighting game like Tekken or Street Fighter.

To an extent, but at this point in time, kart-racing is its own sub-genre (that Mario Kart started), and I'd still call F-Zero a traditional racing game, in as much that it's entirely based around going fast and not crashing (no items). A game that inspired competitors like Wipeout, but still a racing game. As for Smash Brothers, I'd call it a "platform fighter."

I actually mean this in a positive sense, that it is true that Nintendo does tend to take a genre (e.g. TPS) and turn it on its head (e.g. Splatoon). But the offset of this is that similar to Pikmin, these games don't really belong in the same category of conversation as their 'mother genres', for good or ill.

Hawki:

Okay, fine, but why are they even being compared? Nintendo is a mammoth developer and publisher. Naughty Dog is just a developer, and one that, as of Crash Bandicoot, has followed a model of working on 1-2 IPs at a time before moving on.

Don't look at me. I didn't make the comparison to begin with, I was merely querying the validity of the argument.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
Every new console sells well out the gate

Switch came out on March 3rd and we are now a few days away from September and Switch is still selling out everywhere

6 months of being on the market is "out of the gate" now is it?

Nintendo is the king of artificial scarcity. PS4 sold 1 million in 24 hours. Selling 5 million in 6 months or so isn't impressive. We already went over why sales aren't even important for Nintendo really (e.g. Wii).

Hawki:
-http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem_(Nintendo_Switch)

It'll have both the Warriors and the core entry.

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

-It is, technically, just a shallow one (well, least the first one is, it's the only one I played.

-Ah yes, because the gaming landscape is really suffering from a lack of shooters right now...

-Sony will likely make them, not Naughty Dog.

-Seriously, what's with the fixation with shooters? Uncharted isn't even a shooter in the same vein as those games, and if you're fixated with shooters, your best bet is to use a PC.

-I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Naughty Dog has gone in one direction over time, making their games more 'mature' (Crash>Jak>Uncharted>Last of Us), and in an interview, that's apparently the direction they'll always go in, while Nintendo mostly has the family friendly theme, but it can be serious when it needs to be.

Of course, either approach is valid I guess - it's the jack of all trades vs. master of one argument.

-My fault.

-:rolls eyes: So, someone looking to play a sports game will be happy with minigames that have don't even season or franchise type modes nor create-a-player mode?

-Ok

-The gaming landscape on a Nintendo system is lacking shooters.

-What history shows that Sony will continue making Uncharteds without Naughty Dog? Where's new Crash or Jak and Daxter games at?

-I don't really care that much about shooters, it's just an example of a really popular genre that Nintendo basically ignores until very recently. I also wouldn't be surprised if Sony makes more platformers than Nintendo either and that's Nintendo's bread and butter.

-Uncharted is akin to Indiana Jones, that's pretty family friendly. The Last of Us is very serious. The only games that I'm guessing are anywhere near serious/mature from Nintendo are the Xenoblade games based on Xenogears and Xenosaga and they are only rated Teen, although I can't believe the Xenosaga games are only rated Teen by what goes on in them. Thus, Naughty Dog by themselves can easily have more thematic range than all of Nintendo's output as Uncharted is still current along with TLOU.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Well you can word it any way you want, but when you compare Nintendo to a company that has literally only made 2 3rd person cover based shooters, and 10 variations of OGC for it, I gotta question how unbiased your assessment is. I mean did you even look up Naughty Dog's gaming library? Also, you've yet to tell me why gamers would want COD4 on the Switch. I already have CoD4 ... I have already played shooters trying to ape its success ... I don't want the Switch to pretend like that's the 'gold standard' of what it can do with first person shooters. By default, Prime 4 is going to be more interesting to me than another CoD4.

Nintendo EPD made more new IPs over their last ten games than any other videogame company I know. Nintendo EPD alone have produced 10 games in two years .... ranging from social games like 1-2 Switch, to the Legend of Zelda, to Splatoon 2, to Arms, to a new Animal Crossing, to a new Mario Kart. That's about as far as I can remember. No other vdeo game maker is as prolific and makes as many award winning games of divergent qualities as Nintendo alone. And unlike Ubisoft or Naughty Dog, won't be releasing a trillion variations of 'Game of the Year' editions.

So yes, Nintendo are incredibly successful. No other videogame maker do I know that will make a working inhouse copy of another game to just work on a brand new one they are planning to release. Hence why there's always 5 new Zelda games in development at once, and it's not uncommon for all of them to be scrapped because they don't meet a certain quality threshold of what they're looking for.

No other videogame maker can come close to being able to be that scrupulous.

Not only that, there are other reasons why I like Nintendo. Because unlike other developers nad publishers who will just lay off thousands of people if a game doesn't break ridiculous sales figures, Nintendo's executives took a pay cut rather than firing people working on their games, or asking them to pull 20 hour shifts with only 12 hours paid until a game goes out the door.

Say what you like, I respect a company that is willing to take such conservative company ideas of executives taking responsibility and thus electing wage sacrifice until a product turns around. Not merely laying off workers left, right and center until the shareholders feel good about the corporate projections they're taking.

Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs for PS3. How many new AAA IPs did all of Nintendo put out on Wii U? People might want to play COD4 on the go. The point isn't merely just that the Switch isn't getting COD4; it's not getting the next BF, COD, Destiny, GTA, RDR, Anthem, Dishonored, next CDPR game, next Bethesda game, next Wolfenstein, and basically every 3rd-party AAA game. It's not even getting DS ports like the Zero Escape series.

Since when does Naughty Dog releases a million GOTY editions? With just one TLOU remaster edition and probably a Uncharted 4 edition with the new standalone DLC at some point. Also, Sony and Naughty Dog didn't have to pull some BS by delaying TLOU to move it to PS4 to get a killer-app for PS4 and then release the PS3 version later like Nintendo did with Twilight Princess. Or how Nintendo removed the Wii U functionality from Breath of the Wild so the Wii U version wasn't "better". How about Nintendo making you buy a $15 piece of plastic for DLC that's would be a buck or two. Then, of course, Nintendo not making enough of pretty much anything to where you have to get up super early to get to the store before they sell out of something. I have a friend that has to have like everything, and what he does to get it all is literally wasting hours upon hours of his life due to Nintendo. Nintendo is not very good to their customers.

Phoenixmgs:

I don't disagree there, I just don't see it as much of a problem.

Phoenixmgs:
-What history shows that Sony will continue making Uncharteds without Naughty Dog?

In as much that Uncharted has already had at least one game not made by Naughty Dog (Golden Abyss), and that if Naughty Dog wants to move on from Uncharted, I can't see Sony letting the IP lie fallow.

Phoenixmgs:
Where's new Crash or Jak and Daxter games at?

Activision owns Crash, so it's kind of a moot point. Jak & Daxter, like Crash, also had games made in their series made after Naughty Dog's departure. If I had to ask where they went after said games (barring the N. Sane Trilogy), I'd say it was a combination of those games not being as well received as Naughty Dog's, and platformers (or at least 3D platformers) generally falling out of favor.

Phoenixmgs:

-Uncharted is akin to Indiana Jones, that's pretty family friendly. The Last of Us is very serious. The only games that I'm guessing are anywhere near serious/mature from Nintendo are the Xenoblade games based on Xenogears and Xenosaga and they are only rated Teen, although I can't believe the Xenosaga games are only rated Teen by what goes on in them. Thus, Naughty Dog by themselves can easily have more thematic range than all of Nintendo's output as Uncharted is still current along with TLOU.

I can't comment too much on Uncharted, but I never would have thought it was family friendly per se. Certainly not as grim as Last of Us, but Drake still kills people left, right, and center, and has a far higher bodycount than Indie (far as I can see at least).

As for "serious/mature," Nintendo franchises, I can nominate:

-The Legend of Zelda (about 50/50, since it has a wide tonal spectrum)
-Fire Emblem
-Golden Sun
-Metroid
-Xenoblade

The "serious/mature" Nintendo franchises are certainly in the minority, but they do exist.

Phoenixmgs:

Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs for PS3. How many new AAA IPs did all of Nintendo put out on Wii U? People might want to play COD4 on the go. The point isn't merely just that the Switch isn't getting COD4; it's not getting the next BF, COD, Destiny, GTA, RDR, Anthem, Dishonored, next CDPR game, next Bethesda game, next Wolfenstein, and basically every 3rd-party AAA game. It's not even getting DS ports like the Zero Escape series.

And neither Sony getting any of them as an exclusive. 100% of those games I would rather play on PC. Whereas the big releases on the Switch are by definition going to be exclusives. And thankfully I have a steady stream of AAA games thst I can play easily on the go.

Published and developed, developed through subsidiary paryies, psryly owned and funded? Define your terms.

Since when does Naughty Dog releases a million GOTY editions? With just one TLOU remaster edition and probably a Uncharted 4 edition with the new standalone DLC at some point. Also, Sony and Naughty Dog didn't have to pull some BS by delaying TLOU to move it to PS4 to get a killer-app for PS4 and then release the PS3 version later like Nintendo did with Twilight Princess. Or how Nintendo removed the Wii U functionality from Breath of the Wild so the Wii U version wasn't "better".

Twilight Princess is 11 years old. Windwaker is even older. And yeah... Nintendo

Secondly, frankly I think the WiiU functionality thing was a dumb idea. But at the same time, they lived up their promise of giving the WiiU a Zelda title.

How about Nintendo making you buy a $15 piece of plastic for DLC that's would be a buck or two. Then, of course, Nintendo not making enough of pretty much anything to where you have to get up super early to get to the store before they sell out of something. I have a friend that has to have like everything, and what he does to get it all is literally wasting hours upon hours of his life due to Nintendo. Nintendo is not very good to their customers.

And? Yes, heaven forbid if Nintendo produce highly consumerable interactive toys. Amiibos are particularly predatory, but at the same time it incentivizes uptake. There's a good argument why the company can't afford to produce each Amiibo endless. They have a long list of Amiibo preorders and like so many companies produces limited stock.

What is the alternative here? Producing the same Amiibos for eternity?

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Can't they just do DLC normally?

It's a non-issue for me so far, but Christ, I don't get why people stomach Amiibos. I get why kids would like them, but how about people who don't want all this plastic hanging around just for the sake of downloading additional material?

Hawki:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

It's a non-issue for me so far, but Christ, I don't get why people stomach Amiibos. I get why kids would like them, but how about people who don't want all this plastic hanging around just for the sake of downloading additional material?

I am definitely a big Nintendo fan...but I also dont like the Amiibos. But I never had that desire to have toys sit in their plastic unused which seems to be a big draw for them than the actual DLC they offer!

Phoenixmgs:

Devloped Splatoon and Published Wonderful 101. Denpending on how you count spinoffs, Pokken Tournament. I mean, yeah, technically a Pokemon game, but not really.
EDIT: Oh, hey, Devil's Third was a thing. Published by Nintendo, new IP, online shooter. Wasn't very good, but that's why new IPs are rare.

And the Switch not getting the latest and greatest 3rd party games is only a problem if I weren't allowed to have 2 gaming platforms. But, I mean, I have a PS4, I have a computer.

How about Nintendo making you buy a $15 piece of plastic for DLC that's would be a buck or two. Then, of course, Nintendo not making enough of pretty much anything to where you have to get up super early to get to the store before they sell out of something. I have a friend that has to have like everything, and what he does to get it all is literally wasting hours upon hours of his life due to Nintendo. Nintendo is not very good to their customers.

Popular things sell out. Especially popular things the Internet spends a huge amount of time and energy very visibly hating.

'Course, to me the DLC is just gravy, I'm into amibo for the toys.

Phoenixmgs:

Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs for PS3. How many new AAA IPs did all of Nintendo put out on Wii U?

How many new IP's did Naughty Dog make for PS4?

oh right, they haven't made any and don't look like they will be making any new IP's for it anytime soon.

Nintendo put out The Wonderful 101 and Splatoon 2 on Wii U which already matches what Naughty dog put out on PS3 and is also more new IP's than what Naughty Dog has made for the PS4...

Saelune:

Hawki:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

I am definitely a big Nintendo fan...but I also dont like the Amiibos. But I never had that desire to have toys sit in their plastic unused which seems to be a big draw for them than the actual DLC they offer!

if you bought the figures you could always, you know, actually open them rather than leave them sitting in the plastic.

i have a whole display case that i have decorated with all my Super Smash Bros Amiibo's. i managed to get every Smash Bros figurine. i have bought other Amiibos since then but Smash Bros was the only series i was determined to get a full set of.

Yoshi178:

Saelune:

Hawki:

you could always, you know, actually open them rather than leave them sitting in the plastic.

i have a whole display case that i have decorated with all my Super Smash Bros Amiibo's. i managed to get every Smash Bros figurine. i have bought other Amiibos since then but Smash Bros was the only series i was determined to get a full set of.

Dont have to tell -me- that. If I ever do buy any, I will open and use them.

But I hear often people buying two copies of each, so they can keep one in box... Blech.

Saelune:

Yoshi178:

Saelune:

you could always, you know, actually open them rather than leave them sitting in the plastic.

Dont have to tell -me- that. If I ever do buy any, I will open and use them.

But I hear often people buying two copies of each, so they can keep one in box... Blech.

the only Amiibo's i have done with are the Pikmin amiibo that was released alongside Hey! Pikmin and i've bought myself of the Samus and Metroid Amiibo's that will come out alongside Samus returns.

that's purely just because i absolutely love the Pikmin and Metroid series and Xenoblade is probably the only Nintendo franchise i would consider doing that with.

all my other Amiibo's i've only bought one of and opened. i really love Super Smash Bros as well, but that series already has like 60 figurines made for it, was not about to by doubles of each especially considering how expensive it was to buy a full Smash set in the first place lol.

Hawki:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

You mean sell online DLC without the constraints of conniving scalpers or artifitial scarcity? Where's the fun in that?

Johnny Novgorod:

Hawki:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

You mean sell online DLC without the constraints of conniving scalpers or artifitial scarcity? Where's the fun in that?

they sell both though...

Hawki:

They do? I mean you had that season pass (which I think is worse, personally) for Breath of the Wild. I'm torn on the issue, because Nintendo don't traditionally do DLC. They tend to create complete packages. What you buy, you get. Which is at least a more honest form of business, and Amiibos to me is .... eh? I don't see it as necessarily bad. Because in the end it's content that isn't central to the gameplay. It's not really withheld content, it';s tacked on extras as a love letter to fans.

Which if we're being honest is probably not that far fetched a concept.... and arguably better than Day 1 preorder fucking garbage that you more certainly will never get unless you're alive and monetized at the time.

Like the most egregious example is BotW's Wolf Link addition, but really it's more a case of saying; "Hey, you loved Twilight Princess. You bought the remaster. So here's a surprise for you in game!" Which I personally don't think is that bad ... I mean, I think it would have been handled better if it were like an Easter egg and not advertised. A particularly dedicated Zelda fan runs the Wolf Link amiibo, and boom ... Wolf Link on screen as a love letter to the fans.

But that's the only one I can think of.

Epona is offset by better horses you can catch in the wild, for instance.

Hawki:

Phoenixmgs:

I don't disagree there, I just don't see it as much of a problem.

It's why the Switch (or Wii or Wii U) is a secondary gaming platform. If you just have a Nintendo console, you're missing out on lots of games. I'd want Nintendo to make a console that can be a primary gaming platform to bring competition. With how horrible MS has gotten with actually making games, there's not much competition between them and Sony. There's kinda really only one choice for consoles unless you're really the biggest Halo fan. MS's place is up for grabs if Nintendo just made a normal console but they instead decided to basically compete with themselves (the 3DS).

I can't comment too much on Uncharted, but I never would have thought it was family friendly per se. Certainly not as grim as Last of Us, but Drake still kills people left, right, and center, and has a far higher bodycount than Indie (far as I can see at least).

As for "serious/mature," Nintendo franchises, I can nominate:

-The Legend of Zelda (about 50/50, since it has a wide tonal spectrum)
-Fire Emblem
-Golden Sun
-Metroid
-Xenoblade

The "serious/mature" Nintendo franchises are certainly in the minority, but they do exist.

Uncharted is a game, the body count will be higher since the game would be pretty short with only killing a couple people unless it's just an adventure game.

Majora's Mask seems to be the only Zelda to sorta fit that bill. Fire Emblem seems pretty "light" with regards to warring. Golden Sun is portable series, not something to play on the console. Metroid doesn't seem very adult. Xenoblade, I can see that getting dark and serious due to previous entries.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
And neither Sony getting any of them as an exclusive. 100% of those games I would rather play on PC. Whereas the big releases on the Switch are by definition going to be exclusives. And thankfully I have a steady stream of AAA games thst I can play easily on the go.

Published and developed, developed through subsidiary paryies, psryly owned and funded? Define your terms.

Twilight Princess is 11 years old. Windwaker is even older. And yeah... Nintendo

And? Yes, heaven forbid if Nintendo produce highly consumerable interactive toys. Amiibos are particularly predatory, but at the same time it incentivizes uptake. There's a good argument why the company can't afford to produce each Amiibo endless. They have a long list of Amiibo preorders and like so many companies produces limited stock.

The problem is that Nintendo consoles aren't primary gaming platforms. I can get a PC, PS, or Xbox and get the vast majority of games. Whereas with Nintendo systems, you just get Nintendo games. Anything Nintendo published or developed, I'll even give you stuff like Wonderful 101.

How does it matter than Twilight Princess is 11 years old, I'll always remember how Nintendo screwed over the Gamecube user base.

Release DLC digitally like everyone else? You don't need plastic toys to unlock shit in games.

altnameJag:
And the Switch not getting the latest and greatest 3rd party games is only a problem if I weren't allowed to have 2 gaming platforms. But, I mean, I have a PS4, I have a computer.

If Nintendo just released a real console, they could totally take MS's place in the industry and provide actual competition to Sony.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs for PS3. How many new AAA IPs did all of Nintendo put out on Wii U?

How many new IP's did Naughty Dog make for PS4?

oh right, they haven't made any and don't look like they will be making any new IP's for it anytime soon.

Nintendo put out The Wonderful 101 and Splatoon 2 on Wii U which already matches what Naughty dog put out on PS3 and is also more new IP's than what Naughty Dog has made for the PS4...

Why don't you answer my question? It's real sad that Naughty Dog alone made 2 new IPs last-gen while the entirety of Nintendo made so few new IPs that I can count them all on one hand. Then when you compare the entirety of Sony's game output, it just trounces Nintendo.

PS4 is still current-gen. Naughty Dog has 2 teams, they finished Uncharted, and one team is working on TLOU. I'm betting they will make a new IP on PS4 before the gen is over.

Phoenixmgs:

The problem is that Nintendo consoles aren't primary gaming platforms. I can get a PC, PS, or Xbox and get the vast majority of games. Whereas with Nintendo systems, you just get Nintendo games. Anything Nintendo published or developed, I'll even give you stuff like Wonderful 101.

How does it matter than Twilight Princess is 11 years old, I'll always remember how Nintendo screwed over the Gamecube user base.

Release DLC digitally like everyone else? You don't need plastic toys to unlock shit in games.

Um.... what? I have a PS4 pro and a gaming rig.... yet I play my Switch more than either. Mainly because I'm a pretty busy person and I travel often. Heaven forbid if a person who spends more time on the move or otherwise outside their home than in it can have a console suitable for transport... in the world we live in, how is highly mobile and easy co-op bad? How many people do you know that doesn't have 2 or more income streams and spends hours each day merely travelling to be somewhere?

Let me tell you the typical work-study day I have.... classes, research, 45+ minutes simply walking to get to other buildings, 1 hour on buses, half an hour waiting for buses, 3 hours private study at the R-Centre or the library.

And my favourite RPG and ARPG of the last generation came out on the WiiU. If the Switch can deliver Nintendo games, and my PC delivers the grand majority of other games I can't play on my Switch, then surely one may feel vindicated simply having those two as their primary game playing devices?

Phoenixmgs:

Why don't you answer my question? It's real sad that Naughty Dog alone made 2 new IPs last-gen while the entirety of Nintendo made so few new IPs that I can count them all on one hand. Then when you compare the entirety of Sony's game output, it just trounces Nintendo.

PS4 is still current-gen. Naughty Dog has 2 teams, they finished Uncharted, and one team is working on TLOU. I'm betting they will make a new IP on PS4 before the gen is over.

i already did. i literally gave you like 9 new ip's that were released on Wii and Wii U.

then you got all pedantic about the whole "i only wanted from one console! not 2 consoles" thing while at the exact same time completely disregarded things like Wii Sports, Endless Ocean and Wonderful 101 because in your opinion they don't count.

How many IP's has Naughty Dog made since the Playstation even started? what's that? only 4? Just Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted and TLOU?. sounds like Naughty Dog is the one who should get a move on developing more "new IP's" since those are literally the only IP's they've made since starting.

Phoenixmgs:

Majora's Mask seems to be the only Zelda to sorta fit that bill.

"Seems?"

I'd add A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker to that list.

Phoenixmgs:

Fire Emblem seems pretty "light" with regards to warring.

There's that word "seems" again. Also, "light?" If we're talking about a lack of blood and gore, sure, but that isn't the definition of maturity or darkness. Fire Emblem is heavy on story, consequences, conflict, character development, and has self-consistency within its settings.

Phoenixmgs:
Golden Sun is portable series, not something to play on the console.

How's that even relevant?

Phoenixmgs:
Metroid doesn't seem very adult.

There's that word, "seem" again.

But again, Metroid I'd consider a serious/mature franchise, for the same reasons as Fire Emblem minus character development. It helps that Metroid generally focuses on isolation and has nightmare fuel material reguarly.

Phoenixmgs:
Xenoblade, I can see that getting dark and serious due to previous entries.

Okay, seriously, how many of the above franchises have you actually played?

But to answer your question, Xenoblade has moments of darkness, but no more or less than the other IPs that I've listed. Well, maybe Golden Sun in that it doesn't have the same levels, but a franchise being "dark" isn't the same as it being "mature" or "serious."

Phoenixmgs:

altnameJag:

If Nintendo just released a real console, they could totally take MS's place in the industry and provide actual competition to Sony.

Okay, but hear me out here: Why?

Microsoft's providing competition to Sony. Why compete head to head in a market with two strong competitors already?

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Um.... what? I have a PS4 pro and a gaming rig.... yet I play my Switch more than either. Mainly because I'm a pretty busy person and I travel often. Heaven forbid if a person who spends more time on the move or otherwise outside their home than in it can have a console suitable for transport... in the world we live in, how is highly mobile and easy co-op bad? How many people do you know that doesn't have 2 or more income streams and spends hours each day merely travelling to be somewhere?

Let me tell you the typical work-study day I have.... classes, research, 45+ minutes simply walking to get to other buildings, 1 hour on buses, half an hour waiting for buses, 3 hours private study at the R-Centre or the library.

And my favourite RPG and ARPG of the last generation came out on the WiiU. If the Switch can deliver Nintendo games, and my PC delivers the grand majority of other games I can't play on my Switch, then surely one may feel vindicated simply having those two as their primary game playing devices?

Most people don't have the disposable income to spend on gaming to have several gaming platforms. Even if I had the money to have all the platforms, I wouldn't have nearly the time to play all the games I wanted to. With just a PS4, PC without a video card, and phone; I have quite a backlog of games (I still have PS3 games I need to play). There's really no point in my buying a Switch for a couple Nintendo games that I may actually like. If I am on the go, I'd rather play Sentinels, Twilight Struggle, or Baseball Highlights on my phone than Zelda or Mario or whatever. Most people don't have near the free time in travel as most people drive to work and you really can't play games while driving.

Yoshi178:
i already did. i literally gave you like 9 new ip's that were released on Wii and Wii U.

then you got all pedantic about the whole "i only wanted from one console! not 2 consoles" thing while at the exact same time completely disregarded things like Wii Sports, Endless Ocean and Wonderful 101 because in your opinion they don't count.

How many IP's has Naughty Dog made since the Playstation even started? what's that? only 4? Just Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted and TLOU?. sounds like Naughty Dog is the one who should get a move on developing more "new IP's" since those are literally the only IP's they've made since starting.

How is it fair comparing 2 consoles to 1 console? Even then, Sony has made more new IPs on PS3 than Nintendo has made on Wii and WiiU. Wii Sports are mini-games, come on. I can start busting out tons of Sony new IPs that are PS-Eye/Move and/or PSVR games. When did I disregard Endless Ocean? I disregarded Wonderful 101 because it was a one-time (possibly) partnership with Platinum like how Sony partnered up with From a couple times, which I disregarded that on Sony's part as well. When the PS5 comes out, I don't expect a new From game to be exclusive to it for example. Much like I can't go and buy a Switch with expectations of a future exclusive Platinum game.

Again, the fact that I can even bring up a single dev that made close to as many new IPs as ALL of Nintendo could muster in a single gen is pretty sad. I think Nintendo's new AAA IP output for WiiU is like 4 when even including stuff like Wonderful 101 (I'll give it to you, happy?) and Devil's Third while Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs by themselves on PS3.

All of Nintendo for WiiU: 4
Naughty Dog on PS3: 2

Hawki:

Phoenixmgs:
Golden Sun is portable series, not something to play on the console.

How's that even relevant?

Because the thread is about the Switch. If I (or anyone) were to buy the Switch, what adult games could they expect?

Okay, seriously, how many of the above franchises have you actually played?

But to answer your question, Xenoblade has moments of darkness, but no more or less than the other IPs that I've listed. Well, maybe Golden Sun in that it doesn't have the same levels, but a franchise being "dark" isn't the same as it being "mature" or "serious."

I haven't played a Metroid Prime. My friend is a huge Zelda fan, I've seen hours of gameplay from probably the last 3 Zeldas from hanging out. None of them I would consider adult-oriented games. I haven't played a Fire Emblem but watched a retrospective, it seems between Advance Wars and Valkyria Chronicles in terms of thematic heaviness. I haven't played Xenoblade, but played the Xenosagas, I'm guessing it's a least a bit lighter compared to Xenosagas because of how much they basically shot for the moon with the Xenosagas, 3 game series that was supposed to be 6 games I believe, the story is really thick with tons of symbolism and shit.

altnameJag:

Phoenixmgs:

Okay, but hear me out here: Why?

Microsoft's providing competition to Sony. Why compete head to head in a market with two strong competitors already?

MS really dropped the ball this gen and shows no signs of getting better (with actual game output). Thus, there's really not much of a choice in consoles unless you're just nuts over Halo or Gears really. Nintendo easily surpasses MS in game output. Why would it hurt Nintendo to make a "PS4" basically? Sony sells it for $299 and makes money on each console. People will still by a Nintendo system for Nintendo games regardless if it's normal console or Nintendo pushing a gimmick. If anything, the Switch is encroaching on Nintendo's own portable market, wouldn't it be better to encroach a market that's not yours already? I'd have to think a bit harder on what console to buy if a Nintendo system got all the 3rd-party games like PS and Xbox, and Nintendo would easily get that support if it just made an x86 console with near the power level of PS4/Xbone.

Phoenixmgs:

Most people don't have the disposable income to spend on gaming to have several gaming platforms. Even if I had the money to have all the platforms, I wouldn't have nearly the time to play all the games I wanted to. With just a PS4, PC without a video card, and phone; I have quite a backlog of games (I still have PS3 games I need to play). There's really no point in my buying a Switch for a couple Nintendo games that I may actually like. If I am on the go, I'd rather play Sentinels, Twilight Struggle, or Baseball Highlights on my phone than Zelda or Mario or whatever. Most people don't have near the free time in travel as most people drive to work and you really can't play games while driving.

Since when has any gaming platform been for the cash strapped. With my study laptop I can run Close Combat: ABTF. I fucking love hat game, but! But-but-but ... since when does Nintendo need to appeal to cash strapped gamers? They don't.

So to answer your question .... yeah, that's you however. I like Nintendo games. They tend to be colourful, fun, have a degree of polish that is otherwise lacking in every other major developer. They also (tend to) lack the really repulsive aspects of DLC and cut content. Basically the only thing I want out of a Switch is a capacitive stylus, a web browser, and more games that are actually coming out. Seriously, I want that Monster Hunter game for it that come out in Japan but no localization attempt made yet .... I mean, I could play it anyways and just rote learn Japanese symbols but .... gah.

Too much effort.

The cool thing is I can literally duck into an EB games on the way home or going to lunch, come out with a new game cartridge, be playing it within 5 minutes. I fucking love games on effectively memory cards. I've forgotten just how good it is not to spend fucking hours downloading and installing a game I'll spend 5-6 hours to complete.

Honestly it surprises me Nintendo even bothers to make game boxes the size theat they are. They could cut down on shipping costs, thus lower retail costs and shelf space by having more convenient game box sizes. Otherwise I end up having to tuck naked game cards into the slipcase seams. Really kind of annoying. I'd actually prefer it if Switch games came with colourful transparent cartridge slot cases within the game case. So you didn't need to dig about in the case to find them nor worry aboutthem getting dust on the connectors or getting wet if you drop them in the process.

You could also have stickers in each box to personalize them so you know which are yours and you don't even need to look to see the game inside.

Just a fun little idea, personally. Making games fun.

You'd think people would think about things like this with an entertainment product.

That's wildly off topic, however.

Phoenixmgs:

the fact that I can even bring up a single dev that made close to as many new IPs as ALL of Nintendo could muster in a single gen is pretty sad. I think Nintendo's new AAA IP output for WiiU is like 4 when even including stuff like Wonderful 101 (I'll give it to you, happy?) and Devil's Third while Naughty Dog made 2 new IPs by themselves on PS3.

All of Nintendo for WiiU: 4
Naughty Dog on PS3: 2

Naughty Dog has literally only made 4 IP's in the entire time Naughty Dog has even been in the videogame market since Playstation started.

Nintendo has made hell of a lot more New IP's since the N64 & PS1 days than Naughty dog ever has.

But that's cute that you think that Naughty dog outputs a high number of new IP's just because they've released 2 out of their 4 total IP's they've ever created on one system. XD

Addendum_Forthcoming:
The cool thing is I can literally duck into an EB games on the way home or going to lunch, come out with a new game cartridge, be playing it within 5 minutes. I fucking love games on effectively memory cards. I've forgotten just how good it is not to spend fucking hours downloading and installing a game I'll spend 5-6 hours to complete.

You can buy physical copies of PS4/Xbone games. At least on PS4 (I don't have an Xbone), it only takes a couple mins of prep time until you are playing a game after inserting the disc for the very first time. Or you can buy a game on the PS Store at lunch that's on sale and have it downloaded and installed on your PS4 when you get home. Last-gen was pretty bad in wait times in downloading games or patches because it was the first console gen with hard drives, all those transitional issues have been remedied.

Yoshi178:
But that's cute that you think that Naughty dog outputs a high number of new IP's just because they've released 2 out of their 4 total IP's they've ever created on one system. XD

It's cute that you think Nintendo beating a single dev in output of new IPs is something to commend. When you go and compare ALL of Sony in new IP output to ALL of Nintendo, Nintendo gets thoroughly trounced. It was kind of a thing earlier this year of Zelda vs Horizon (even the reddits of both games ran April Fools jokes switching the both games themes). Which one of the games was the new IP and which was a series from the 80s?

Phoenixmgs:

You can buy physical copies of PS4/Xbone games. At least on PS4 (I don't have an Xbone), it only takes a couple mins of prep time until you are playing a game after inserting the disc for the very first time. Or you can buy a game on the PS Store at lunch that's on sale and have it downloaded and installed on your PS4 when you get home. Last-gen was pretty bad in wait times in downloading games or patches because it was the first console gen with hard drives, all those transitional issues have been remedied.

Yeah, no. You're being far too generous. This is particularly true when special features to doenload requires bullshit subscriptions to other services. The WiiU wasn't totally free of this either, but Christ it wasn't anywhere near as blatant.

Once again.... still haven't told me why if you wanted to maximize your gaming experiences, a decent faming rig and a Switch isn't somehow superior to a PS4 and a gaming rig... well beyond PS4 having more games... buy given 90% of them can be played on PC, and both require you being home to play them. The Switch has a great selection of games coming out over the next 12 months. And I can play all of them on the move and instantly involve friends. Win-win.

You can bring up pricepoints of how not everyone can afford a gaming rig ... but then again, Switch has never been about cash strapped gsmers.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
well beyond PS4 having more games...

It's always about the games, PS4 has by far the most console exclusives whether Sony is developing (Horizon), publishing (Bloodborne), or the 3rd-party dev just choose the PS4 as the console to release their game on (Persona 5). Most gamers don't have time to play a full-on game on the go, most gamers are adults with jobs and kids.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here