Minecraft Pocket Edition is getting several features from the PC version in its biggest update yet.
Minecraft is undoubtedly a smash hit on almost every single platform, although there is some debate about which version is the most successful. One version that doesn't always come up in the conversation is Minecraft Pocket Edition, not because it hasn't sold well (it totally has) but because at launch it was light on features compared to PC and console counterparts. That being said, the handheld version has really been catching up lately, to the point that next week's massive update will add all kinds of features from the definitive PC edition. Oh, and that includes infinite worlds, ie, the ability to just keep walking in any direction without stopping.
On top of that, Minecraft Pocket Edition's update features new block types, mobs like the Endermen, and additional biomes from the PC version. Discoverable caves, abandoned mineshafts, and even villages are being added as well, making this game much closer to its PC counterpart than one might have imagined. Players can even finally get wolf companions, and will be provided several bug fixes and touchscreen UI changes. Which is important too, I guess.
Unfortunately, it looks like some older devices may not be able to host Minecraft's infinite worlds, although they can still connect to them via multiplayer. All told, this should be the biggest update in Minecraft Pocket Edition's history so far, and might even provide a distinct advantage over the booming console edition.
The 0.9.0 update comes out on July 10th. A changelist is below.
- Infinite worlds!
- Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks.
- Wolves! Tame a loyal companion.
- Loads of new flowers! So pretty.
- New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms.
- New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills.
- Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore.
- A brand-new "interaction" button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again!
- New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.
- Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.