Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Solo: A Star Wars Tentpole.
I thought it was alright as an adventure movie - first hour is pretty sketchy and episodic, then it gets going with a heist plot. Characters are sorta fun, in general I liked the cast. Pleased to see Woody Harrelson is around for most of the movie. Donald Glover as Lando is great. Ehrenreich... not even close to Ford but does a decent impression. Paul Bettany as a villain is wasted in 2 scenes... there's another villainous reveal that is shoehorned purely for fanservice... and I loathed the sassy equal rights droid.

Johnny Novgorod:
I thought it was alright as an adventure movie - first hour is pretty sketchy and episodic, then it gets going with a heist plot. Characters are sorta fun, in general I liked the cast. Pleased to see Woody Harrelson is around for most of the movie. Donald Glover as Lando is great. Ehrenreich... not even close to Ford but does a decent impression. Paul Bettany as a villain is wasted in 2 scenes... there's another villainous reveal that is shoehorned purely for fanservice... and I loathed the sassy equal rights droid.

Did the whole Opening Night fan event and loved it, but I disagree with the Fan Service. It is obviously going to carry over into the storyline between Episode 3 and Rebels, which I imagine will encompass at least one more stand alone movie, if not more.

That said, Lando was by far the best character and the only one that made me feel like the original trilogy was the ultimate end point for character growth, since Han started more good-natured in this movie than he did in the Original Trilogy...

I saw it tonight. I'll save my full thoughts for later (maybe - TL, DR, 6/10, it's hovering somewhere between Last Jedi and Force Awakens on my ratings scale), but since people are already starting to discuss it:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ehrenreich... not even close to Ford but does a decent impression.

TBH, watching Ehrenreich (and still being honest, I thought he carried the movie), I didn't get the sense of him doing an impression. This Han is so far removed from OT Han that he feels like a completely different character. I don't say that as a bad thing.

Paul Bettany as a villain is wasted in 2 scenes...

Disagree. He isn't in there much, but he was absolute gold to watch, being both charming and psychotic. Hardly a deep villain, but an entertaining one.

there's another villainous reveal that is shoehorned purely for fanservice...

Oh. That.

Seriously, why is (spoiler) even in this movie?

and I loathed the sassy equal rights droid.

Dunno. I liked L3, but I wasn't overly attached to her.

I think that's a problem this movie when it comes to certain characters, in that it introduces them, but quickly drops them. Rio? Dead. Val? Dead. L3? Dead. We do get a core cast, but I dunno, the killing of certain characters felt off in certain ways.

Spade Lead:
but I disagree with the Fan Service. It is obviously going to carry over into the storyline between Episode 3 and Rebels, which I imagine will encompass at least one more stand alone movie, if not more.

Okay, spoiler time:

That said, Lando was by far the best character and the only one that made me feel like the original trilogy was the ultimate end point for character growth, since Han started more good-natured in this movie than he did in the Original Trilogy...

Controversy time, but I'd argue that TFA does continue Han's character arc. An unnecessary continuation perhaps, but a continuation nonetheless.

But even then, as I've stated in this post, Han here is pretty much the complete antithesis of his OT self, and that isn't really a bad thing. But even then, the movie seems to want to have its cake and eat it, by:

All I See is You
A very quiet, intimate film about a woman regaining her sight after years of relying on her husband to be her eyes; Blake Lively and Jason Clarke respectfully starring. With relationship struggles and trust being twisted to unnerving points. It's all rather understated and won't be for most people with its unconventional pacing and somewhat abrupt ending. But it has refused to leave my mind since, and a particular shot towards the end haunts me in a way that nothing else has. A niche recommendation for sure.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer
This says it is a dark comedy, and I do see the dark comedy, but it never elicited any actual chuckles; merely goatee fondling as I ponder "well, yes...I do see how one would find that amusing." Perhaps it wasn't dark enough. However, the film remains a fine experience, being not quite as weird as the director's last work, The Lobster, but still unconventional and utilising a hypnotic dryness that seeps to your very bones while still being wonderfully cast and performed by actors of impressively young ages. A unique family tragedy I'm averse to explaining in fear of spoilation. Yet again, not for everyone, or mainstream audiences I would imagine, due to its many strange but familiar natures. Worth your time otherwise.

Spade Lead:

Johnny Novgorod:

Did the whole Opening Night fan event and loved it, but I disagree with the Fan Service. It is obviously going to carry over into the storyline between Episode 3 and Rebels, which I imagine will encompass at least one more stand alone movie, if not more.

He was there for the fanservice. The way he's presented just reeks of it. There's no need for him to pull down his hood or turn on his signature lightsaber but he does it and stops short of winking at the camera with a Yup, it's me kids! look on his face. And yes, obviously he's going to play a role in upcoming Star Wars Stories. It just pisses me off that we're in Marvel territory of bringing back the dead. I don't care how they explain he survived getting cut in half and falling down two fucking buildings, it's going to be cheap.

@Hawki Ehrenreich wasn't bad, just didn't convince me as his own character. Ford's Han Solo always loomed over it. And I don't see the connection between this twerp and A New Hope's Han Solo. He's too goody two shoes, needed to have a meaner, scummier streak. Like A New Hope to me always felt like it marked Han's first noble deed, returning to save the day. Bettany was serviceable at best, I think having your bad guy kill some rando to establish him as evil always feels a little desperate. Obviously not a bad actor but the whole character felt like a placeholder. And L3's spontaneous rebeliion subplot reminded me a little too much of that other While We're At It free-the-slaves arc in The Last Jedi. Just out of nowhere and not really connected to the rest of the movie.

Shadow of the Vampire

Entertaining little semi-satirical horror movie from the late 90s posing the question what would have been if Max Schreck, lead actor of Nosferatu, was actually a vampire. Mostly notable for being directed by E. Elias Merhige, director of a by now fairly well known experimental movie named Begotten. Shadow of the Vampire is by comparison pretty conventional but it is does deserve some recognition for recreating that 70s Hammer Horror feel, all abandoned castles and muted colours,grainy cameras and spooky eastern European landscapes, very well.

Willem DeFoe is fantastic as the vampire, channeling not only the mannerisms of the real Max Schreck but also the thick Eastern European accent of Bela Lugosi and the gravity of Sir Christopher Lee. John Malkovich as mad director Murnau does a fantastic job as well. The movie works mostly on the strength of these two performances.

Overall I enjoyed it.

Hawki:
I saw it tonight. I'll save my full thoughts for later (maybe - TL, DR, 6/10, it's hovering somewhere between Last Jedi and Force Awakens on my ratings scale), but since people are already starting to discuss it:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ehrenreich... not even close to Ford but does a decent impression.

TBH, watching Ehrenreich (and still being honest, I thought he carried the movie), I didn't get the sense of him doing an impression. This Han is so far removed from OT Han that he feels like a completely different character. I don't say that as a bad thing.

Paul Bettany as a villain is wasted in 2 scenes...

Disagree. He isn't in there much, but he was absolute gold to watch, being both charming and psychotic. Hardly a deep villain, but an entertaining one.

there's another villainous reveal that is shoehorned purely for fanservice...

Oh. That.

Seriously, why is (spoiler) even in this movie?

and I loathed the sassy equal rights droid.

Dunno. I liked L3, but I wasn't overly attached to her.

I think that's a problem this movie when it comes to certain characters, in that it introduces them, but quickly drops them. Rio? Dead. Val? Dead. L3? Dead. We do get a core cast, but I dunno, the killing of certain characters felt off in certain ways.

Spade Lead:
but I disagree with the Fan Service. It is obviously going to carry over into the storyline between Episode 3 and Rebels, which I imagine will encompass at least one more stand alone movie, if not more.

Okay, spoiler time:

Controversy time, but I'd argue that TFA does continue Han's character arc. An unnecessary continuation perhaps, but a continuation nonetheless.

But even then, as I've stated in this post, Han here is pretty much the complete antithesis of his OT self, and that isn't really a bad thing. But even then, the movie seems to want to have its cake and eat it, by:

Actually I agree with you on Han's arc in TFA

Johnny Novgorod:

Spade Lead:

Johnny Novgorod:

He was there for the fanservice. The way he's presented just reeks of it. There's no need for him to pull down his hood or turn on his signature lightsaber but he does it and stops short of winking at the camera with a Yup, it's me kids! look on his face. And yes, obviously he's going to play a role in upcoming Star Wars Stories. It just pisses me off that we're in Marvel territory of bringing back the dead. I don't care how they explain he survived getting cut in half and falling down two fucking buildings, it's going to be cheap.

@Hawki Ehrenreich wasn't bad, just didn't convince me as his own character. Ford's Han Solo always loomed over it. And I don't see the connection between this twerp and A New Hope's Han Solo. He's too goody two shoes, needed to have a meaner, scummier streak. Like A New Hope to me always felt like it marked Han's first noble deed, returning to save the day. Bettany was serviceable at best, I think having your bad guy kill some rando to establish him as evil always feels a little desperate. Obviously not a bad actor but the whole character felt like a placeholder. And L3's spontaneous rebeliion subplot reminded me a little too much of that other While We're At It free-the-slaves arc in The Last Jedi. Just out of nowhere and not really connected to the rest of the movie.

Eh, Rebels already confirmed that certain character's death as permanent by killing him

Johnny Novgorod:
I don't care how they explain he survived getting cut in half and falling down two fucking buildings, it's going to be cheap.

That was Lucas' doing within the Clone Wars timeline, so seeing how he got from one show to the next (He only lived when he shouldn't have one time in that whole arc consisting of like 20 years)will be a good filler story. That said, I was super pissed that he came back to life because no amount of the "The Force" will stop you from bleeding out after being cut in half and then falling 100 meters to land on your spiny ass head and get a concussion

Spade Lead:

Johnny Novgorod:
I don't care how they explain he survived getting cut in half and falling down two fucking buildings, it's going to be cheap.

That was Lucas' doing within the Clone Wars timeline, so seeing how he got from one show to the next (He only lived when he shouldn't have one time in that whole arc consisting of like 20 years)will be a good filler story. That said, I was super pissed that he came back to life because no amount of the "The Force" will stop you from bleeding out after being cut in half and then falling 100 meters to land on your spiny ass head and get a concussion

It cheapens the concept of death all for the sake of retconning a character back to the movies because his design was cool. That's it. However they explain his return is incredibly cheap and tacky. It's cheap if he survived, got cloned, had a twin brother, willed back to existence via Force, etc. Or it turns out to be a digital composite of some kind. However they eventually explain it it's just there for fan service. A board room voted on most popular/least expected to return and the deal was done.

So while this is kind of redundant, I said that I'd elaborate further, so on that note:

Solo: A Star Wars Story (6/10)

If I had to describe Solo in one word, it would be "fun." Honestly, that's what I went into this movie hoping for - nothing more, nothing less. I'm not going to do a point by point recap, but I will bring up the following points:

-For those of you who want to boycott this film, that's your prerogative, but for better or worse, this is very much the opposite of The Last Jedi, from its tone, to its pacing, to its characters, to its themes (or rather, the lack of them). Make of this what you will.

-I will say that for a film with such a troubled production, the film mostly fools you into thinking otherwise...mostly. In terms of editing, it's mostly fine, but there's two key points in the film where I think the editing doesn't work, or where stuff could have been cut out. However, while this isn't necessarily attritutable to the film's production, Solo doesn't really follow conventional film structure. It more or less picks a path, and keeps going - if anything, it feels like a TV series more than a film, in that you have your A plot that arcs throughout the series, but little sub-plots that come up.

-This also extends to the characters. Again, while you could say that this is true of a lot of films, Solo has a core cast of characters (Han, Chewie, Beckett, Lando, arguably Qi'ra), and every character outside that group either gets minimal screentime. Val, Rio, L3, Enfys Nest, Proxima...one way or another, they appear in the film for awhile, but with one exception on that list, fall out of it relatively quickly. For instance, Proxima is mentioned in the opening crawl, but makes no appearance outside the opening sequence. Imagine if in A New Hope where it tells us about the Empire, shows us the Empire in action, then never shows or mentions the Empire again. Of those core characters, they mostly do a pretty good job, though I'm going to break the mould here and say that yes, Danny Glover is good as Lando, but it's Ehrinrich that steals the show as Han. For better or worse (I'd say definitely better), this is a Han that's really far removed from OT/TFA Han, in everything down from his youth, to his outlook on life, to his mannerisms). Like I said, I don't think that's bad - just as Luke in Last Jedi is different from OT Luke (time and experience will do that to a person), the Han here is a different beast from his forebear/successor. Lando is far closer to his OT self, but far more sleazy, more of a 'scoundrel' - this isn't a person you could see running Cloud City, but rather as the guy who would turn up, play sabaac, and go to the Red Light District. Oh, and Chewie is Chewie, who does indeed rip some arms off. Have fun with that.

Of the newcomers, I'm mixed. I quite like Beckett as a character. He isn't really presented as some kind of inverse or 'mirror darkly' version of Han, he's very much his own character. I won't spoil too much, but let's just say that there's a genuine bond between these characters, and Beckett's nice to have on screen. Qi'ra however...okay, I can't ignore this, the film seems to want to sell us on a romanc between these two, but it doesn't work. It's not "I don't like sand" bad, but as a whole, AnakinxPadme still work as a couple. Qi'ra and Han, outside the very beginning of the film, don't for me, as there's a lack of chemistry between them. If I was being generous, I could suggest that the actors have a hard mountain to climb, as we know this ship can't amount to a permanant pairing because Han ends up with Leia, and any interactions between them have to exist in the shadow of Empire. If I was being even more generous, I could suggest that it's intentional, to show that this isn't 'true wuv,' and that 'true wuv' is something Han only finds much later. But that aside, HanxLeia work, in part because we see their personalities bounce off one another. HanxQi'ra don't really have any character clashes, and the buildup of their relationship happened off screen. In essence, it isn't bad, and when Qi'ra (spoiler), and we see how Han reacts to (spoiler), that works, but as a romance? Not really.

-Fun fact, the Imperial March exists in-universe. Yeah...also, Stormtroopers have it really easy in this unvierse it seems, being assigned to guard duty and customs while 'mudtroopers' can be sacrificed en masse in battle.

-Getting back to the core cast of characters...I'll say it, Han is a Gary Stu. Like, here's a kid who's an ace landspeeder driver, plus a great pilot (pulling of stunts in the Millennium Falcon after barely being on it), plus a great sabaac player, plus a great shot, plus a quick thinker. I doubt many people will pick up on this, but imagine if this was the first time seeing him. Yeah...if you want to have some fun, explain why Han isn't a Stu in this film, but Rey is in TFA. I mean, I'd argue they both are, even if they're still perfectly likable, but something tells me that few are going to pick up on this.

So, yeah. Solo is "fun." That's all it's trying to be, and in that sense, it succeeds. If I had to rank Disney's SW films, they'd go TLJ>Solo>TFA>Rogue One. While TFA is a better constructed film in of itself, I will say I enjoyed Solo more.

Spade Lead:
no amount of the "The Force" will stop you from bleeding out after being cut in half

Lightsaber cuts don't bleed. Maybe he survived because of Zoidberg anatomy?

A Wrinkle in Time

It was... very much a kids movie. And I mean it, chances are that if you're an adult you're gonna find it dumb as hell. This is a movie made for 10 year old girls and not at all for anyone older than that. There's a really fun show on Netflix, based on a series of childrens books namen A Series of Unfortunate Events, which had been adapted into a movie somewhere in the 00s, starring Emily Browning and Jim Carrey. Anyway, A Wrinkle in Time is the complete opposite of that in terms of how completely devoid it is of irony, cynicism or actual wit. Wrinkle in Time is a pretty damn bad movie but there was a part of me that couldn't help but admire it a bit for how goddamn sincere it is. There's just no hint of anyone not talking all of that corny, power of love, hippie bullshit completely serious. I gotta be perfectly honest, it's kinda adorable just how straight they play it where it would have been very easy to roll your eyes at what you're making. They have Oprah Winfrey showing up, looking like Shirley from Community if she had joined a glam rock band and they never acknowledge how silly it is. They have a scene of one of the kids falling from the back of a flying plant fairy, only to be caught by group of pretty red butterfly flowers. There's no hint of irony in any of that.

So, like, I don't recommend it or anything, it's a pretty bad movie overall but I couldn't help but smile at how unapologetically corny it was.

Deadpool 2 -- 7/10

Takes a bit to take off, shake off the crap you see in the trailer, and sort of acknowledge that it's jumping all over the place for seemingly little reason, but once Cable gets there things heat up. The movie has a laid-back atmosphere and a lot of cheese. A lot of thick, sentimental cheese.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7/10

All I was looking for is to be fun and not be godawful. Surprisingly pretty much what I got.

McElroy:

Spade Lead:
no amount of the "The Force" will stop you from bleeding out after being cut in half

He survived because Disney knows fans will shell out twice for that Darth Maul action figure.

Rewatched Samurai Cop with some friends last night. It has to be one of the best bad movies I've ever seen. Other famous bad movies like The Room or Birdemic are great in their own right, but they get boring a lot before something hilarious happens. Samurai Cop never lets up. From the intentionally bad acting (the actors kept getting pissed at the director, so would phone their performance in, and the director had no sense to do another take) to the tone-deaf scene changes (There's at least two action scenes that hard-cut to someone else's bedroom for an unrelated lovemaking session), this movie never gets boring once.

Rating: 9.8/10

McElroy:

Spade Lead:

There is literally no amount of cauterization that will stop your internal organs from falling out when you are cut in half, either, and that is what I was referring to when I said bleeding out.

Johnny Novgorod:
He survived because Disney knows fans will shell out twice for that Darth Maul action figure.

Again, bringing him back was George Lucas' decision from like 7 years ago now, not Disney's.

Spade Lead:

Again, bringing him back was George Lucas' decision from like 7 years ago now, not Disney's.

And George Lucas just happens to have a habit of making poor decisions, many of which have more to do with marketability than anything else.

Of all the Star Wars side villains to bring back, Maul is just about the most boring one. Nute Gunray had more characterization than him.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Of all the Star Wars side villains to bring back, Maul is just about the most boring one. Nute Gunray had more characterization than him.

If we're talking movie Maul, then yes, definitely. The Clone Wars and Rebel shows did a decent job fleshing him out though, giving him a proper backstory, personality, relationships to other characters and an actual arc, turning him loosely into a sort of dark side counterpart to Obi Wan. Nothing world-shaking, just adequate. And both shows are official canon.

I haven't seen Solo yet, but judging by reactions to his appearance, there's not much to no trace of that characterization the movie.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Shadow of the Vampire

Entertaining little semi-satirical horror movie from the late 90s posing the question what would have been if Max Schreck, lead actor of Nosferatu, was actually a vampire. Mostly notable for being directed by E. Elias Merhige, director of a by now fairly well known experimental movie named Begotten. Shadow of the Vampire is by comparison pretty conventional but it is does deserve some recognition for recreating that 70s Hammer Horror feel, all abandoned castles and muted colours,grainy cameras and spooky eastern European landscapes, very well.

Willem DeFoe is fantastic as the vampire, channeling not only the mannerisms of the real Max Schreck but also the thick Eastern European accent of Bela Lugosi and the gravity of Sir Christopher Lee. John Malkovich as mad director Murnau does a fantastic job as well. The movie works mostly on the strength of these two performances.

Overall I enjoyed it.

Great choice. Thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Chimpzy:

I haven't seen Solo yet, but judging by reactions to his appearance, there's not much to no trace of that characterization the movie.

Maul is onscreen for about 1-2 minutes. I don't think one can really complain about him lacking characterization in that timeframe, not to mention that trying to give him characterization would derail the pacing and character focus (won't spoil anything, but the point at which Maul appears is in the crux of an emotional malestrom for Han).

Signa:
Rewatched Samurai Cop with some friends last night. It has to be one of the best bad movies I've ever seen. Other famous bad movies like The Room or Birdemic are great in their own right, but they get boring a lot before something hilarious happens. Samurai Cop never lets up. From the intentionally bad acting (the actors kept getting pissed at the director, so would phone their performance in, and the director had no sense to do another take) to the tone-deaf scene changes (There's at least two action scenes that hard-cut to someone else's bedroom for an unrelated lovemaking session), this movie never gets boring once.

Rating: 9.8/10

Samurai Cop is absolutely hilarious to me and I love it.

Hawki:

Chimpzy:

Maul is onscreen for about 1-2 minutes. I don't think one can really complain about him lacking characterization in that timeframe, not to mention that trying to give him characterization would derail the pacing and character focus (won't spoil anything, but the point at which Maul appears is in the crux of an emotional malestrom for Han).

Dude went through an amazing arc in Clone Wars and Rebels. Though I doubt they would have characterization in a minute of screentime. I do feel like its the same Maul characterization from those cartoons

Johnny Novgorod:

McElroy:

Spade Lead:

To be fair, The Clone Wars '08 series started before Disney bought the property and they brought back Maul around season 3 or so.

Spade Lead:

McElroy:

Spade Lead:

There is literally no amount of cauterization that will stop your internal organs from falling out when you are cut in half, either, and that is what I was referring to when I said bleeding out.

Maul's still not human. We don't know the details of his inner anatomy. Maybe his peritoneum and abdominal sheath end before the waist.

Or at least they did after the accident :^)

Johnny Novgorod:

McElroy:

Spade Lead:

but his survivance was set before the disney/star wars era. The clone wars series predate the deal.

officially, here's what is know about how he survive :

"However, through his hate and will to survive, Maul used the Force to grab an air vent as he was tumbling down the reactor shaft. He then managed to make it to a trash container. Maul's shattered body was dumped on the junkyard world of Lotho Minor. He lived in the bowels of the planet and had his legs replaced by a six-legged apparatus that allowed him to walk again. During his exile, he made a bargain with a sentient sneaky Anacondan called Morley, who agreed to bring Maul food in return for his leftovers. Over the years, Maul was driven mad with rage and despair, but remained driven by thoughts of revenge against Kenobi."

that is still canon. They have plans for him, i'm pretty sure that they dont drop that bomb in the movies and then not use it. it will either be in a tv show or maybe in the boba fett movie i guess...

So I just saw Solo yesterday.

And can I just say how much I HATE this charcater:

But this movie wasn't as bad as The Last Jedi which is kind of a shame really that this one gets the downfall.

Samtemdo8:

But this movie wasn't as bad as The Last Jedi which is kind of a shame really that this one gets the downfall.

I liked him. He wasn't that horrible. Jesus.

Solo was fine and I liked Last Jedi. Then again I've been told my opinion is shit anyway

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

Solo was fine and I liked Last Jedi. Then again I've been told my opinion is shit anyway

My problem is what he represents.

In terms of Acting, the actor is just acting as himself, he doesn't feel like he belongs in this world.

In terms of the character, I just can't take him seriously in a world that I feel should be taken more seriously. He's has this aura of "don't care if I am in this world." This Kevin Smith style of charcater and acting.

I take Star Wars and its setting and history more seriously than these movie makers the sameway I treat Tolkiens Middle Earth, like you find a Kevin Smith-ian character like that in Tolkien's world thats for sure.

Samtemdo8:

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

In terms of Acting, the actor is just acting as himself, he doesn't feel like he belongs in this world.

In terms of the character, I just can't take him seriously in a world that I feel should be taken more seriously. He's has this aura of "don't care if I am in this world." This Kevin Smith style of charcater and acting.

I take Star Wars and its setting and history more seriously than these movie makers the sameway I treat Tolkiens Middle Earth, like you find a Kevin Smith-ian character like that in Tolkien's world thats for sure.

So, Will Smith in 90% of his films?

Samtemdo8:

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

I don't know, the whole "shrug, in this world because I don't care" is more of a Will Smith thing than really Kevin Smith.

Natemans:

I liked Rio and Val as well. It's a shame they weren't in the movie more, because while we don't see much of them, they do leave an impression, Rio especially.

But, yeah, I liked Solo, and I liked Last Jedi even more.

cathou:
that is still canon. They have plans for him, i'm pretty sure that they dont drop that bomb in the movies and then not use it. it will either be in a tv show or maybe in the boba fett movie i guess...

They already have. Maul played a major role in the Star Wars Rebels cgi series which starts about 5 years before A New Hope (So after Solo) and ends somewhere before Rogue One (but fairly close).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here