Something is coming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yep so far it seems the "great things" are the site being even more broken than it was before. Brilliant.

Silentpony:

Redlin5:
SNIP

So the site is totes for realz no backsies shutting down, never coming back, end of story?

If I knew, I'd tell you. They never made volunteer mods sign an NDA or similar legal document.

Chimpzy:

Redlin5:
If you guys have any posts you want to preserve for your own posterity, these would be the days to archive them for your own sentimentality. Just in case.

Ominous

Just stating my views on the matter, I think there's a 20% chance of us getting notice if the place does go lights off.

I hope the "something" hurries up and gets here, the site is derping like crazy right now.

TopazFusion:
I hope the "something" hurries up and gets here, the site is derping like crazy right now.

The expected "tomorrow" the supposed new site owner told us is already a week gone. I wonder if this is just how the site is gonna be from now on? Maybe this was the something

While not trying to take a side in this, I will say that Defy is notoriously slow when it comes to doing _anything_. Of course, I shouldn't have to convince the members of this forum of that, given its current state.

When it comes to timetables, for Defy, "tomorrow" means next month, usually. If the person was told or expected it to happen on their timetable, that could lead to confusion, if this is even a thing.

I have no idea who that person is, or what if anything is happening with the site. I'm just pointing out that Defy, the Escapists parent company, isn't known for being quick on anything, and even less so when it comes to something like this. I'm sure the reason is they're going to do whatever they can to sabotage the site before its sold like they did with GameFront.

Also, if any Defy employee reads this and wonders why I would say such things, my contractual obligation to 1 year of "keeping my mouth shut" expired on May 1. I won't divulge any sensitive material (I did have to sign an NDA), but I will express my ability to criticize the company as a normal member of the community.

n0e:
I'm sure the reason is they're going to do whatever they can to sabotage the site before its sold like they did with GameFront.

I'm a bit behind on the GameFront thing, and with the cluster fuck of stuff surrounding it, I'm not sure what's what. What sort of "sabotage" do ya mean? Like, was that them shutting down them forums without word, leaving everyone else to scramble?

Ok question.
Is everybody just taking some guy's word for it or has there been actual, official, outside confirmation on the site's purchase?

For what it's worth...

Kross is actively working on the site. He's listed as being currently active on the IMS board which runs the site (think of it as the helm, perhaps? I'm no computer guru).

But if it's only him and he doesn't have any real support then he's got a monumental challenge: He alone has to do the work the former Tech Team labored together to manage.

Things are slowly being fixed (views, etc) but the site is derpy as hell, yes, I know. But the very fact that anything is being fixed suggests to me that while resources (Kross and Kross alone) are limited those attending to the site are duly laboring to fix it. Hence this very thread being posted: "Good is coming--don't freak out!" might have been a more accurate title, if less encouraging.

I'm disinclined to blame Kross in this case. I'm sure others won't have my reticence.

As evidence I submit the fact that the number of spambots hewing their way into the site has plummeted to nearly nothing in the past week. Mods can pull up a list of "New Posters" (and perhaps one of the more technically capable Mods could do so and post a screensave to support me here) and that list clearly shows that while new posters are understandably few the number of spambots has practically vanished!!!

If Kross gets blamed for everything (including earthquakes and ebola outbreaks) I'm here waving pom poms and cheering the fact that he (or someone) put the nix on the year long Spambot War.

In fact we could declare the Spambot War to be over!!! And we're the one's who are are still standing!!!

Basement Cat:
For what it's worth...

Kross is actively working on the site. He's listed as being currently active on the IMS board which runs the site (think of it as the helm, perhaps? I'm no computer guru).

But if it's only him and he doesn't have any real support then he's got a monumental challenge: He alone has to do the work the former Tech Team labored together to manage.

Things are slowly being fixed (views, etc) but the site is derpy as hell, yes, I know. But the very fact that anything is being fixed suggests to me that while resources (Kross and Kross alone) are limited those attending to the site are duly laboring to fix it. Hence this very thread being posted: "Good is coming--don't freak out!" might have been a more accurate title, if less encouraging.

I'm disinclined to blame Kross in this case. I'm sure others won't have my reticence.

As evidence I submit the fact that the number of spambots hewing their way into the site has plummeted to nearly nothing in the past week. Mods can pull up a list of "New Posters" (and perhaps one of the more technically capable Mods could do so and post a screensave to support me here) and that list clearly shows that while new posters are understandably few the number of spambots has practically vanished!!!

If Kross gets blamed for everything (including earthquakes and ebola outbreaks) I'm here waving pom poms and cheering the fact that he (or someone) put the nix on the year long Spambot War.

In fact we could declare the Spambot War to be over!!! And we're the one's who are are still standing!!!

Kross is working on it? Well in that case I'm inclined to applaud Kross and (continue) to blame Defy.

Basement Cat:

Great, now where am I supposed to get my love potions and fake passports! Thanks a lot Kross!

Elvis Starburst:

n0e:
I'm sure the reason is they're going to do whatever they can to sabotage the site before its sold like they did with GameFront.

I'm a bit behind on the GameFront thing, and with the cluster fuck of stuff surrounding it, I'm not sure what's what. What sort of "sabotage" do ya mean? Like, was that them shutting down them forums without word, leaving everyone else to scramble?

That, and leaving a special type of redirect on the domain that pointed to The Escapists homepage while telling search spiders that the domain no longer exists, and they can remove the site from any result in the future. It's a massive blow to any website, especially one that thrives on anonymous traffic.

We're (GameFront) recovering, but it's an uphill battle and we're slowly, but surely, gaining momentum. It would be a heck of a lot easier though if they didn't treat the website like a red-headed stepchild before selling it.

[Edit] I'm surprised Kross is still around. I remember he was contracted to work on the site in a limited capacity after they removed the IT team, but contracts are annual, and I figured his ran out and he wouldn't bother renewing it.

I guess I can't blame Kross either, (I really want to for the fun of it) but I did kind of steal his favorite award and give it to myself. So, I'll cheer him on instead, so he doesn't take it away.

This is unexpected. Kross is on the payroll again? I guess he wouldn't be doing this out of the kindness of his heart.

If he's active here again, I expect he'll appear in this thread soon.

n0e:

[Edit] I'm surprised Kross is still around. I remember he was contracted to work on the site in a limited capacity after they removed the IT team, but contracts are annual, and I figured his ran out and he wouldn't bother renewing it.

Maybe it was set on auto-renewal and Defy never bothered to notice that fact? Just like they never noticed a lot of people got free pub club memberships(or they noticed and can't figure out how to pull them back because the tech team left).

It's hard not to imagine defy as a landlord who purchased a property on the cheap but never actually bothers to check up on it, other then firing the staff/letting the staff's contracts lapse.

Basement Cat:

Dalisclock:
Maybe it was set on auto-renewal and Defy never bothered to notice that fact? Just like they never noticed a lot of people got free pub club memberships(or they noticed and can't figure out how to pull them back because the tech team left).

Afaik, pub club can be revoked since Epic Wynn got his taken away after he crossed the line one too many times. My guess is they just don't bother to for the rest of us since there wasn't much point to it anymore.

If Kross is reading, you're a cool dude with or without the functionality of the Escapist. All the best. <o

Thanks all, doing enough to help a couple friends out who need the cash, but saying bye after 14 years gets liquidated is hard, and saying more is hard for other reasons.

I'll be around in other places, sorry for any troubles, and it makes me happy that so many people were able to enjoy what we built. :)

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

Kross:
Thanks all, doing enough to help a couple friends out who need the cash, but saying bye after 14 years gets liquidated is hard, and saying more is hard for other reasons.

I'll be around in other places, sorry for any troubles, and it makes me happy that so many people were able to enjoy what we built. :)

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

Still good to see you around man, no matter the circumstances remembering all the mischief you got up to pranking people with buttons and april fools threads is one of the things I always enjoyed most about this forum. You brought a much needed sense of humanity and humour to the apparent distance and coldness of the mods and staff from the forums. Similar to the effect that the WW had on some of my opinions about the mods who hung out and shot the shit with users there in a neutral setting. But, this isn't WW thread number 302 so I'll stop there.

Kross:

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

Well, if this is the end, thank you for the Bieber fever, making me shit myself when you followed my Twitter ages ago and generally being a cool dude in my time here.

Also, because we might not get another chance. ;p

Kross:

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

Anyone else find that this sounds very, very ominous?

Either way, good to see you around man~ It's been a blast here, gonna miss it when the day finally comes (Which, I'm getting a feeling is gonna be soon)

Basement Cat:
For what it's worth...

Having been once a web designer back in 1999/2000 keeping the back end of a site running by myself, while a shit ton of traffic flowed through our servers (we hosted a site that was very popular on Slashdot which led to our meager T1 connection getting "Slashdotted" on a daily basis), I can only imagine the sheer weight of work it takes to fix/repair/mitigate/damage control a failing and basically abandoned site like the Escapist... My heart goes out to Kross for doing what should never be a one-person job.

So, has anything come yet?

PsychedelicDiamond:
So, has anything come yet?

I came last night...but you probably didn't want to know that.

Well, just in case this is it-

Was, at the very least, quite an entertaining ride from start to finish.

Take care out there folks. Might have had our disagreements, but I do still wish you lot the best.

LostGryphon:
Well, just in case this is it-

Was, at the very least, quite an entertaining ride from start to finish.

Take care out there folks. Might have had our disagreements, but I do still wish you lot the best.

The same here.

Folks, with the site derping to the point of being inactive, well, now might just be the time to start saying goodbye. It looks like the new owners will be transferring us to a site of their own design so the Escapist as we have known and loved shall likely cease to be.

I started coming here 8 years ago. I stopped lurking in the fall of 2012 and quickly found myself welcomed and chatting with new friends from every corner of the planet. It hurts to see an era pass, but it hurts more to lose my long time friends.

Just in case these are the Escapist's last days I'd like to thank everyone for the (usually) good company. Perhaps we'll meet again on a new site--perhaps the future Escapist, even.

Basement Cat:

Folks, with the site derping to the point of being inactive, well, now might just be the time to start saying goodbye. It looks like the new owners will be transferring us to a site of their own design so the Escapist as we have known and loved shall likely cease to be.

Wait, wait! Is that official?! What about all the threads and posts? There's 325,932 threads and 15,223,953 posts (yes, over 15 million). Are those being dumped?

How long do we have? Why haven't the new owners said anything?!

Nothing is official. We Mods know nothing! Absolutely nothing!

As such it is possible that if the Escapist is moved to a different site of the new owners' making we shan't have any word of warning.

So! Let's look at the cloud's Silver Lining:

Picture the delicious image of all current Escapists--regular posters and Mods, acting Community Manager, etc--suddenly finding ourselves transferred to a new "ESCAPIST".

Suddenly we few (the Mods) whom so many of you viewed as fascist authoritarians would be summarily reduced to "Common commoners".

That alone should serve as reason for celebration, I am sure, for a vocal 20 to 30 of you.

This is the way The Escapist ends,
not with a whimper but with a 504 error...

It was worth it!

it was all worth it!!!

When technology changes states, stuff breaks. Expect stuff to break a few more times while it's learning to not-break. If the site goes down, and that's a big if I would think, then it's been a pleasure. But I'm 90% sure we're just experiencing the technological equivalent of voice cracking because puberty is happening.

Stuff's going on under the hood, it'll probably be less broken in a few weeks, until then, expect some 504s.

Basement Cat:
It was worth it!

it was all worth it!!!

NewClassic:
When technology changes states, stuff breaks. Expect stuff to break a few more times while it's learning to not-break. If the site goes down, and that's a big if I would think, then it's been a pleasure. But I'm 90% sure we're just experiencing the technological equivalent of voice cracking because puberty is happening.

Stuff's going on under the hood, it'll probably be less broken in a few weeks, until then, expect some 504s.

I do hope that this is not the end of the escapist but rather a "rebirth" and that we will still be able to find one another on here. The word " liquidation" above is worrisome, and the lack of an official announcement or update is concerning. Hopefully good news will come soon?

So, still nothing?

I'm willing for any news but like Basement Cat said, the mods are just in the dark as much as you guys. It took me a concentrated 6 minutes of attempts to find a thread to post in that didn't error out.

But remember folks. You stuck around for your own reasons. That's all that really matters. Best of luck, whether its here or elsewhere. We'll see where it ends up.

Redlin5:
I'm willing for any news but like Basement Cat said, the mods are just in the dark as much as you guys. It took me a concentrated 6 minutes of attempts to find a thread to post in that didn't error out.

But remember folks. You stuck around for your own reasons. That's all that really matters. Best of luck, whether its here or elsewhere. We'll see where it ends up.

Ah Cowboy Bebop. That one sorta' okay anime from 20 years ago that for better or worse made Steve Blum the go-to voice actor for rough, gravely men.
Hell the dude played like 3 Space marines in Dawn of War 2 and it was super distracting watching him talk with himself about that conversation he just had with himself.

I know what's coming;

vallorn:
I know what's coming;

The next number coming is clearly 505

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: