Something is coming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Kross makes a post and the forums go crazy.

Coincidence?

The plot thickens....
A wild Encaen was spotted, and indeed posted an article for the first time in months.

Basement Cat:
Nothing is official. We Mods know nothing! Absolutely nothing!

Hogan's Heroes

We are all Dooooomed...

With the mods in the same blind situation we all find ourselves in. I believe it's only right for us to say our goodbyes just in case 402 does evolve into something worse.

So just in case of the worse scenario happening to the site.It has been fun conversing with most of community, maybe we will all meet again after whatever ends up happens to the escapist.

Is something still coming? The site seems to be working again but no word on anything new.

Kross:
Thanks all, doing enough to help a couple friends out who need the cash, but saying bye after 14 years gets liquidated is hard, and saying more is hard for other reasons.

I'll be around in other places, sorry for any troubles, and it makes me happy that so many people were able to enjoy what we built. :)

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

n0e:
Kross makes a post and the forums go crazy.

Coincidence?

Worgen:
Is something still coming? The site seems to be working again but no word on anything new.

I think it was the word "liquidation" that sent everyone into a tizzy. That and this seems very much like a final goodbye post. I am still waiting for something "official" to let us know what is to be expected. I would hope after all these years they would not just close it down quietly without an official announcement. From what I gather from this and the "something" post is that Kross will no longer be working on the site after this final time, and that hopefully the "something" means others will be and hopefully we will still have our forums under new management. Depending on how optimistic/ pessimistic you are this could be taken either way of course. I am not saying goodbyes until I know for sure, even if that means I lose my chance to. :)

EDIT: Then again I am hopeful for a great future where mankind saves the world, lives in extremely high tech environmentally friendly jungles and solves all the worlds problems rather than destroys it, so my Utopian view may cloud my ability to see a desolate dystopian future.

Well in the event The Escapist dies for good I just want you all to know, it's been fun.

Canadamus Prime:
Well in the event The Escapist dies for good I just want you all to know, it's been fun.

Yeah, it has!

Elvis Starburst:

Kross:
Thanks all, doing enough to help a couple friends out who need the cash, but saying bye after 14 years gets liquidated is hard, and saying more is hard for other reasons.

I'll be around in other places, sorry for any troubles, and it makes me happy that so many people were able to enjoy what we built. :)

- Kross / Erik / Unaz

Anyone else find that this sounds very, very ominous?

Either way, good to see you around man~ It's been a blast here, gonna miss it when the day finally comes (Which, I'm getting a feeling is gonna be soon)

Yes, that liquidated word is concerning, but it is also in line with the idea of selling the site. They liquidate before selling so that would have been something that would have had to happen for Destructoid to buy the site anyhow. OF course the whole " liquidate to close" thing could happen as well, but if that were the case why would Destructoid be telling us something good is coming? Surely Defy would rather sell it to Destructoid than just close it. AND if Destructoid was buying it, why would they pay for something to just shut it down? AND if they were paying for something just to shut it down, they certainly would not come on here and tell people something good was coming just to piss everyone off would they? It doesn't make sense for them to do that.

Lil devils x:
[quote="Kross" post="18.1055294.24241264"]I am not saying goodbyes until I know for sure, even if that means I lose my chance to. :)

Same

So is anything still coming?

Lil devils x:
snip

Realistically when you buy a brand like this you're buying the brand name, the domain and the content like Zero Punctuation. Unless you specifically need it there's no reason to keep the actual site running because it's kludged together from a decade of legacy code and it's easier on everyone if you can unify your sites on one platform.

EscapistAccount:

Lil devils x:
snip

Realistically when you buy a brand like this you're buying the brand name, the domain and the content like Zero Punctuation. Unless you specifically need it there's no reason to keep the actual site running because it's kludged together from a decade of legacy code and it's easier on everyone if you can unify your sites on one platform.

So in other words they likely will take these forums down entirely and may or may not decide to add forums to their site? That does not sound like "something good" at all if that is the case. Instead of gaining all of the members here, they would just make everyone angry and not go to their site out of spite instead. Not sure how beneficial that would be to do if they were just going to make people leave instead.

I have been on forums that changed hands and upgraded to a new format that we could still see all of the older stuff on the site. What I think they did though was dump the older forum content on one server and created the new forums on a different server and just linked the older content from the new site so that you could still read it, and over time the old forum content pretty much was phased out as new threads were created and they only kept the old threads up to a certain date. Though I am not sure if many are willing to put for the effort to do so.

Lil devils x:

EscapistAccount:

Lil devils x:
snip

So in other words they likely will take these forums down entirely and may or may not decide to add forums to their site? That does not sound like "something good" at all if that is the case. Instead of gaining all of the members here, they would just make everyone angry and not go to their site out of spite instead. Not sure how beneficial that would be to do if they were just going to make people leave instead.

Not saying which would be more likely to happen, but it sounds like you're overestimating the value of this particular forum here when compared to the Escapist's content.

Even if they were gonna axe the forums and piss off people here, how many people actually actively come here compared to people who watch Zero Punctuation? A couple dozen active users? Compared to the potential marketing value of something like ZP, a dozen of people on a forum mean nothing.

bluegate:

Lil devils x:

EscapistAccount:

Not saying which would be more likely to happen, but it sounds like you're overestimating the value of this particular forum here when compared to the Escapist's content.

Even if they were gonna axe the forums and piss off people here, how many people actually actively come here compared to people who watch Zero Punctuation? A couple dozen active users? Compared to the potential marketing value of something like ZP, a dozen of people on a forum mean nothing.

I think the numbers are quite a bit higher than that, just not everyone posts daily or weekly but many more read them but only post occasionally. I know of people who read them and never post, but still like to lurk. Most people are primarily "lurkers". I agree that ZP is more valuable than the forums of course, but that doesn't mean it would be beneficial to discard them entirely. When people leave, you are not just losing that person, you are losing the people that tend to go with them as well. Many people communicate outside of here and go " where their friends are". The people boycotting the escapist for whatever reason, for example, would still watch ZP, just not on the Escapist, they are watching it on Youtube instead. The same would happen in the case of those disappointed with Destructoid for something they chose to do.

Souplex:
So is anything still coming?

Shadow the final destroyer!

... I got this neat Wendy's coupon in my mail, was that what was coming?

I blame Kross for the site being much more stable for me these past few days.

Happy sixth week anniversary of something definitely totally coming, everybody.

Lawsuits are coming the way of Defy

Gauche:

That makes Kross's use of "Liquidation" even that much more ominous.

I will say that the forum is working better than ever though after he worked on it. I do not ever recall a time when the forums updated as quickly as they are now.

Gauche:

Well I got the impression for awhile that Defy wasn't managed very well but this clinches it.
I wonder what this is going to mean for the site. It doesn't sound too good.

Lil devils x:
I will say that the forum is working better than ever though after he worked on it. I do not ever recall a time when the forums updated as quickly as they are now.

True that. Maybe not better than ever, but certainly better than it has since, well, now that I think about, since Defy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here